Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This doesn't look good?

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Talonsin said:
    Erillion said:
    An immediate extra source of cash would be Episode 3 of Squadron 42. Episode 1 and 2 are free for (most) backers, but Episode 3 will have to be bought.

Do you have a source to point us to about the plan to charge for episode 3 of S42?  This is the first time I am hearing about that. 
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/249912/squadron-42-episode-1-included-eh-responses-from-ben-length-scope-explained/p1

CIG is creating a trilogy of stand alone games. They are:

First Game

SQUADRON 42

----Will be released in stages so we can begin playing it earlier.
    ----A stand alone campaign setting the stage for Star Citizen.
    ----Everyone who pledged a game package will get it.
    ----It includes everything originally planned for, plus more.

Second Game

Behind Enemy Lines

----Used to be envisioned as an expansion pack for SQ42 but with CIG's financial success it got re-envisioned as a complete game.
    ----Free to those who backed before 6 Million. For sale as a complete stand alone game to anyone else.
    ----Will probably be released as a whole complete game instead of in stages.
    ----It continues the story-line of Squadron 42, but is a separate game unto itself.
    ----It does not require Squadron 42 to install.

Third Game

Title to be determined

----Will be released as a complete stand alone game.
    ----Is not an expansion pack or add on to Squadron 42. It only continues the story-line into its third part.
    ----Is available for purchase as a complete game to anyone.
    ----Does not require Squadron 42 or Behind Enemy Lines to install.

CIG's old plan = Squadron 42 + some expansion packs.

CIG's new plan = Three stand alone games: Squadron 42 (all of it), Behind Enemy Lines, and unnamed title.

Have fun

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
    Erillion said:
    An immediate extra source of cash would be Episode 3 of Squadron 42. Episode 1 and 2 are free for (most) backers, but Episode 3 will have to be bought.

Do you have a source to point us to about the plan to charge for episode 3 of S42?  This is the first time I am hearing about that. 
    https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/249912/squadron-42-episode-1-included-eh-responses-from-ben-length-scope-explained/p1

First Game

SQUADRON 42

Second Game

Behind Enemy Lines

----Used to be envisioned as an expansion pack for SQ42 but with CIG's financial success it got re-envisioned as a complete game.
    ----Free to those who backed before 6 Million. For sale as a complete stand alone game to anyone else.
    ----It continues the story-line of Squadron 42, but is a separate game unto itself.

Third Game

Title to be determined

----Is not an expansion pack or add on to Squadron 42. It only continues the story-line into its third part.

CIG's new plan = Three stand alone games: Squadron 42 (all of it), Behind Enemy Lines, and unnamed title.

Have fun

Pitch one game.
    Get a ton of money.
    Create this thing called stretch goals and blame the fans for why the game isn't deliveredeven though they had the money to make it according to them.
    Take money and say its going into multiple games even though they still haven't delivered on the first game.
    I see they have created allot of reasons as to why they cannot deliver the original idea.
    Send more money, the art department and the store works like a charm.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Xeno.phon said:

pretty sure that was posed as a hypothetical way to gain more revenue, he didnt state it like it was going to happen. Context is your friend kids, notice the WOULD BE in the sentence. That is used to indicate a hypothetical.

But hey dont let reality interrupt your fantasy trolling team you guys seem to have assembled.
    Then why did he link a source if it was hypothetical?  I was also honestly asking as I had not heard that before.  Excuse me for asking a polite question.

but hey dont let reality interrupt your fantasy trolling White Knight team you guys seem to have assembled.

See how that works for the other side too...
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Brenics said:
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    Nope, you definitely have no axe to grind with SC lol.  
    Not like I tried to hide it. Yes I agree with DS. What pushed me over to his side was all the attacks coming at him from every side. If CR was doing everything right with SC I couldn't see why the heck would all these people try and shut DS up? If there really is a game and even if some ex and current employees said they only have like 8m left why isn't there a game coming down the pipe to beta. 

Weird part there are so many reasonable questions of why CR has been doing what he has than why is DS going after this game. I also don't believe he is doing it out of jealousy like some of these attackers say because of his past games. That makes absolutely no sense at all. So yeah if you look at SC with an open mind it sure does seem like something is fishy. 

Then throw in today and I still do not see a game, I do see a crashing Alpha 2.0 but am sure a lot of people will say it is right where it should be. So here we are, two sides with different view points. Fun isn't it. Plus all this will do is either make crowdfunding greater or fall big time, right now am on the fail side. Which is exactly what this is all about. 

Oh and why would CR only pay less than 20 minutes at the end of over 3 hour stream on Alpha 2.0? The rest of the show was really about selling pictures of ships. 
     Just because people attack a person who blatantly bring it upon themselves, and even encourages it on his social media. Doesn't mean that person is right. If this is your first experience with Dsmart you may think the things people say about him are a little extreme. I'd say the man has everything people say about him coming his way deservedly. 

He has called the players who have paid him for his games scumbags and retards because they called him out on the bugs and non working features. He has a game on steam in early access that he says is a complete game and still won't officially launch it. Because he knows people would request refunds.  He bans anyone who speaks the truth about his products. 

Dsmart has also practically been Chris Roberts direct competitive rival since the late 80's. They are both UK Space Sim devs from the same era of gaming, albeit Roberts products were always much more fleshed out and playable when launched. The guy is simply trying to promote his LoD game which uses an engine from the 90's. This is his last hurrah as it were, he openly admits on planning to retire after SC launches. 

Also he has a history of hostile take overs, as seen with Alganon Online where he pushed David Allen out of his own game company, by convincing shareholders that he could do it cheaper. He then continued to dismantle the game and burn all of it's promise to the ground. He also walked away with a nice sum of money, that he wouldn't have had otherwise.
    I was around when Alganon was being made and knew Allen from the AC2 forums. So I know the whole story and it's over and done with. I only said I took DS side on this issue, and because of his past I can't ignore everything going on with SC and crowd funding. Like I said if you go in with an open mind and look at what is going on now it has nothing to do with the past.

If CR pulls this off and does end up having a game that plays like he says and gets it to a release then I will admit I was wrong. But as of now there is something that just doesn't seem right and it does look like a scam with only pictures of space ships are being sold. After CR was already given more than he asked for to make the game.

Hell I bet if we look into everyone's past you will find some BS we could throw at them but really does that cover up the facts we have now with SC? I understand you will just throw more dirt this way on why am wrong and I can accept. What ever argument you throw at me won't change my mind on how SC is being developed or should I say not being developed! After all isn't this what we are actually talking about. not two people's pasts? 
     Sorry but it has everything to do with the past, if Roberts name wasn't on this game Smart never would have said anything. He's had a long standing rivalry with Roberts going back to earliest days of space sims. The only reason he is trying his damnedest to give SC bad press, is to sucker people who believe that crap into his broken game.  

He wants to see Roberts fail, seems like mostly jealousy to me, but I don't personally know the guy so I can only comment on what I observe. 

If Smart ever made a game that worked, I'd defend it.  Instead he's spent 2 decades giving gamers every reason in the book to discredit his BS. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2015
    Erillion said:
    This is really a key factor. People seem to think that once this game releases, CIG can start selling it and start making money on the finished product........What they aren't considering is that CIG already sold those copies.....They now owe 90M in finished product that they will not be able to collect on after (and assuming) this game actually releases.

Have fun
    Let's hope it will be enough. Maybe they won't have to continue to sell ships after release.
    Post edited by GeezerGamer on
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    Not like I tried to hide it. Yes I agree with DS. What pushed me over to his side was all the attacks coming at him from every side. If CR was doing everything right with SC I couldn't see why the heck would all these people try and shut DS up? If there really is a game and even if some ex and current employees said they only have like 8m left why isn't there a game coming down the pipe to beta. 

Weird part there are so many reasonable questions of why CR has been doing what he has than why is DS going after this game. I also don't believe he is doing it out of jealousy like some of these attackers say because of his past games. That makes absolutely no sense at all. So yeah if you look at SC with an open mind it sure does seem like something is fishy. 

Then throw in today and I still do not see a game, I do see a crashing Alpha 2.0 but am sure a lot of people will say it is right where it should be. So here we are, two sides with different view points. Fun isn't it. Plus all this will do is either make crowdfunding greater or fall big time, right now am on the fail side. Which is exactly what this is all about. 

Oh and why would CR only pay less than 20 minutes at the end of over 3 hour stream on Alpha 2.0? The rest of the show was really about selling pictures of ships. 
     Just because people attack a person who blatantly bring it upon themselves, and even encourages it on his social media. Doesn't mean that person is right. If this is your first experience with Dsmart you may think the things people say about him are a little extreme. I'd say the man has everything people say about him coming his way deservedly. 

He has called the players who have paid him for his games scumbags and retards because they called him out on the bugs and non working features. He has a game on steam in early access that he says is a complete game and still won't officially launch it. Because he knows people would request refunds.  He bans anyone who speaks the truth about his products. 

Dsmart has also practically been Chris Roberts direct competitive rival since the late 80's. They are both UK Space Sim devs from the same era of gaming, albeit Roberts products were always much more fleshed out and playable when launched. The guy is simply trying to promote his LoD game which uses an engine from the 90's. This is his last hurrah as it were, he openly admits on planning to retire after SC launches. 

Also he has a history of hostile take overs, as seen with Alganon Online where he pushed David Allen out of his own game company, by convincing shareholders that he could do it cheaper. He then continued to dismantle the game and burn all of it's promise to the ground. He also walked away with a nice sum of money, that he wouldn't have had otherwise.
    I was around when Alganon was being made and knew Allen from the AC2 forums. So I know the whole story and it's over and done with. I only said I took DS side on this issue, and because of his past I can't ignore everything going on with SC and crowd funding. Like I said if you go in with an open mind and look at what is going on now it has nothing to do with the past.

If CR pulls this off and does end up having a game that plays like he says and gets it to a release then I will admit I was wrong. But as of now there is something that just doesn't seem right and it does look like a scam with only pictures of space ships are being sold. After CR was already given more than he asked for to make the game.

Hell I bet if we look into everyone's past you will find some BS we could throw at them but really does that cover up the facts we have now with SC? I understand you will just throw more dirt this way on why am wrong and I can accept. What ever argument you throw at me won't change my mind on how SC is being developed or should I say not being developed! After all isn't this what we are actually talking about. not two people's pasts? 
     Sorry but it has everything to do with the past, if Roberts name wasn't on this game Smart never would have said anything. He's had a long standing rivalry with Roberts going back to earliest days of space sims. The only reason he is trying his damnedest to give SC bad press, is to sucker people who believe that crap into his broken game.  

He wants to see Roberts fail, seems like mostly jealousy to me, but I don't personally know the guy so I can only comment on what I observe. 

If Smart ever made a game that worked, I'd defend it.  Instead he's spent 2 decades giving gamers every reason in the book to discredit his BS. 
    I disagree I believe DS would of wrote exactly what he did that started this whole war off. What would not have happened is his money would not have been returned which escalated the whole thing. We also have more than just DS saying things about the game or should I say non-game. 

Why can't you take DS out of equation and just think about what the employee's and non-employees said. You would still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. You would still have a lot of actions by CR to be really questionable. So i believe we would be exactly where we are except you wouldn't have DS as your kicking dog. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Brenics said:
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:

I disagree I believe DS would of wrote exactly what he did that started this whole war off. What would not have happened is his money would not have been returned which escalated the whole thing. We also have more than just DS saying things about the game or should I say non-game. 

Why can't you take DS out of equation and just think about what the employee's and non-employees said. You would still have a lot of questions that need to be answered. You would still have a lot of actions by CR to be really questionable. So i believe we would be exactly where we are except you wouldn't have DS as your kicking dog. 
    Actually What DS wrote is exactly what DS does. The fact that you don't know this shows your ignorance. Shit, he has a whole section for himself in the Urban Dictionary!!!

Also, there's been no verifiable accounts of employees saying negative things. The Escapist said they were going to follow up on their article, which contained all this "verified" testimony from former employees, but never has. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Maybe The Escapist  never was allowed in for the tour. Or maybe they are just waiting and watching. They never pulled the article so not like they aren't standing behind it. 

We can turn that around and wonder where this lawsuit is that Roberts went on a rant about? 

So both sides sort of have questions don't we. :-D

Brenics said:
    Maybe The Escapist  never was allowed in for the tour. Or maybe they are just waiting and watching. They never pulled the article so not like they aren't standing behind it. 

We can turn that around and wonder where this lawsuit is that Roberts went on a rant about? 

Sounds like an out of court settlement and both sides staying quiet to me. 

Have fun 
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:

Have fun 
    There was no settlement as the escapist did nothing that required settlement.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Athisar said:
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:

Have fun 
    Where is the proof that there is/was a lawsuit.

Sounds more like SC spreading misinformation as usual.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    edited November 2015
    Athisar said:
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:

Have fun 
    Where is the proof that there is/was a lawsuit.

Sounds more like SC spreading misinformation as usual.
    There is no evidence of one (i.e. there isn't one, or there'd be public record). It'd be a pretty odd settlement too for the escapist to give into not one single demand, keep the article up, offer no retractions and publicly state they stand behind it 100%. If there were any real threat, it would have been made privately. This was bluster and a call to arms for SC fans.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
    Erillion said:

First Game

SQUADRON 42

Second Game

Behind Enemy Lines

Third Game

Title to be determined

Have fun

At least i get 2nd game for free if i am still fit enough to play it by then, already approaching my 50's. At their development pace i be in a nursing home in a wheelchair when it finally releases in 2030.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    CrazKanuk said:
    MrSyn said:
    Funny how people think this game is ever going to have money troubles... even if the crowdfunding funds do dry up, im sure a lot of publishers and investors have been making them offers to try and get in on it.

Recently it took Shenmue 3 only 2mil to to raise and show interest for Sony to back the development... this game has raised 90mil... you can bet those greedy big publishers and investors want a piece of this.
    Unfortunately no publisher will want to have anything to do with this game. All the money pouring into this is no profit for the publisher and they already owe all these people a game so those are ZERO sales for the publisher.

As a publisher you don't invest into a company that already sold the majority of their games and DLC/Digital items. The prospect of more sales when the game already hit almost $100 million and 1 million copies sold is minimal at best, especially for a niche game like SC.
    This is really a key factor. People seem to think that once this game releases, CIG can start selling it and start making money on the finished product........What they aren't considering is that CIG already sold those copies.....They now owe 90M in finished product that they will not be able to collect on after (and assuming) this game actually releases.

I definitely think that the upside to SC is more limited than the majority of games out there, but there is plenty of evidence that KS/crowdfunding represents a fraction of the release sell-trhough. For instance, PoE, Wasteland 2, ED, and some others listed on Steam show a sell through of ten times their number of crowdfunding backers. That being said, those mentioned above are retail games, SC is F2P with a ship market that's been shown to be quite lucrative already. There's plenty of monetization opportunity remaining, even for the existing fan base. So there's probably more upside than you're giving it credit for. 
    You got to factor in the fact that the games you mentioned had a 1 month crowdfunding campaign not a 3 year one like SC. Of cause they "sold" less and made up for it on release.

SC will enter it's 4th year of crowdfunding/pre-sale on October 19th this year. That is up to 36 times longer than Wasteland 2, ED and many others.

The ship market will be crashing fast when they really make all the ships available in game as they promised. No one except a few super whales will buy ships then and those already are invested right now.

The only thing i can see them make money with is ship insurance and cosmetics.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

Erillion said:

Have fun 
    LMAO @ immediate. Are you serious?

They have not even finished the first game. Then they need to make a second game and then the Episode 3 Game. I doubt you could call that immediate. Let's assume 4 years development time each: S42 comes in 2016 (lol) then Episode 2 in 2020 and Episode 3 in 2024. Immediate my ass.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The ship market will be crashing fast when they really make all the ships available in game as they promised. No one except a few super whales will buy ships then and those already are invested right now.

The only thing i can see them make money with is ship insurance and cosmetics.
    Aren't they planning on selling ingame currency after launch?

They also have the two subscriptions - I don't see them getting rid of that in the future. Would be smart to adjust those subscription packs a little after launch, get even more people to subscribe.

Perhaps they can start selling planet names, vanity content, in-game in lore advertising?

Even though the current funding is heavily linked to selling ships, I don't think it is a necessity. You have quite a lot of people happy to pay a subscription. You also have decent numbers of high profile spenders who will buy anything regardless of the cost. I think if you started selling special hangars, virtual land and property, ways to promote your organisation, those people would jump at it without thinking.

As long as they don't alienate the core community (and start delivering content on a regular basis), it can keep on going indefinitely. This is of course provided whatever people are spending is profitable enough.
    Will first they said it would have an MMO. Then they wouldn't have an MMO. So if no MMO what other space sim would have a sub for it that isn't an MMO . Then if you have a single player game will that be one charge or will the sub take care of playing all 3 games? Once the game(s) release how they will continue to make money on these 3 games is going to be very interesting. Also with people paying a sub now (which is really weird with no actual game) will these people that helped get the game to release still have to pay the sub? So the real question is what do these backers actually get out of backing it? Because all I see is them getting ships they pay outrages prices on then have to still pay to play? 

I could go on where if you pay like top dollar you get your name on something or other. This just seems so weird to pay to back the game pay to play the game, pay, pay, pay!

Brenics said:
    Also with people paying a sub now (which is really weird with no actual game) 
    We subscribers are voluntarily paying a monthly fee so the community gets the "Jump Point" magazine and all the extra information video shows like "10 for the Chairman" and "Around the Verse" etc.

It is NOT a fee for playing the game.

But you already knew that. Seems like many things are weird for you.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:
    Also with people paying a sub now (which is really weird with no actual game) 
    We subscribers are voluntarily paying a monthly fee so the community gets the "Jump Point" magazine and all the extra information video shows like "10 for the Chairman" and "Around the Verse" etc.

It is NOT a fee for playing the game.

But you already knew that. Seems like many things are weird for you.

Have fun
    I see you never answered the main question. 

edited November 2015
    Brenics said:
    Assuming the main question from your post is:
    "So the real question is what do these backers actually get out of backing it?"

The answer can be found via Google. Maybe that was too complicated for you, so here is the link:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions

There is also a thread here on this forum about subscriber rewards ( mostly flair and decor items, pictures are in the thread).

Have fun
    edited November 2015
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:
    Assuming the main question from your post is:
    "So the real question is what do these backers actually get out of backing it?"

The answer can be found via Google. Maybe that was too complicated for you, so here is the link:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/subscriptions

There is also a thread here on this forum about subscriber rewards ( mostly flair and decor items, pictures are in the thread).

Have fun
    [mod edit] what does the people supporting the game NOW! Get once it releases? Do they still need to pay into the game? Or is it all free to them after release? That one dude that spent over 30k does he get to play all the games for free or will he still need to pay if the game ever does release? 
    Post edited by Amana on

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited November 2015
    Brenics said:
    Erillion said:
    Brenics said:
    You really need to go take a class in body language and then watch Roberts during these little live events he has. It may open your eyes. 
    Have.

Did.

Has not.

Have fun
    LOL now I can never take you seriously again. it sure seems like no matter what is said you already did that, done that, seen that, you are the ALL KNOWING GOD! 

You realize i still believe you are CR right? You actually talk exactly like he does. :-D

You just told the guy that he is a god.  Well that's what he heard.  No wonder he responded the way he did.  

OH WAIT you mean people are subscribing to the idea of this game and paying monthly for it?  WOW I didn't realize it was that bad but that is outright ridiculous.  Prepare to be taken advantage of here.  So people have been constantly donating to this game yet they haven't posted any income in months.  Yea

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    Erillion said:

Have fun 
    LMAO @ immediate. Are you serious?

They have not even finished the first game. Then they need to make a second game and then the Episode 3 Game. I doubt you could call that immediate. Let's assume 4 years development time each: S42 comes in 2016 (lol) then Episode 2 in 2020 and Episode 3 in 2024. Immediate my ass.
    Why would you think that it would take them an additional 4 years to make parts 2 and 3? Do you think they are going to scrap the engine and start over again from the ground up? That's idiotic. Why do you think that they can pump out a new COD game every year? It's because the engine is already established so all they need to do is build the content for it.

All the heavy lifting of development is taking place now. Once they have all the systems in place then content creation can be done fairly quickly. AC 2.0 shows that the majority of the heavy lifting is almost done. After this they can focus on building the meat of the game with a focus on finishing squadron 42 as anything that is done for that game is usable in the PU.

I still don't get why people are expecting a game of this scope to be nearly done after 3 years. If people were able to see where games like GTAV or the witcher 3 were after that time I'm willing to bet they wouldn't be much further along.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Yeah Space is not my favourite genre, but OP is just a troll. If a game is not for you... just leave it alone?