Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth a test drive

snicolsnicol Member UncommonPosts: 55
I have played a few of the FF series but never seriously at all. I am looking for a new game to ruin my life for. The games i love are Ultima, DaoC, Eve, SWG, and I actually really liked archeage initially .

just wondering if this game is worth a shot....are there any aspects of it that really make it stand out...thanks

Comments

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    The base game is pretty great.  The expansion is not.  The continued success of the game relies heavily on the next few patches, the first of which is due on the 10th.

What stood out for me is that the quests were well written, even if they had boring objectives.  The game is particularly lovely in the graphics and music department.  With one character you can experience every class.  Crafting is treated like each profession is a class, complete with their own storyline and quests.  This all applies to the base game, not so much the expansion.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    edited November 2015
    You would be so far behind the curve if you started now I would say not worth it at all. You would die of boredom before you got one toon to 50.....if not then you would die of boredom grinding out the 100 quests (literally, not exaggerating) after 50 it takes before you can even hit the expansion. Furthermore, you are forced to do group dungeons at certain levels in order to progress in the story, I can't imagine there are a ton of people doing those low level dungeons these days. Could be wrong of course.

If you like FF you may not care and enjoy it, otherwise good luck. The games you mentioned you like are nothing like FFXIV. Imagine Daoc where you can't jump over something right in front of you due to a linear zone. Almost makes me cringe thinking about it.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • thundergodtthundergodt Member UncommonPosts: 31
    About what viper said. yes the quest grind before you can play the expansion is bad,but the dungeon Que is not. They have a daily system for dungeons where high levels team with low levels for story quest. After level 50 anyone using this system gets tokens for level 50-60 gear and tons of exp. also its the best way to level after 50 because you get so much exp helping low levels just 4 dungeons a day at 50 it is half a level from 50-60 for just doing them. If you do play roll a tank or healer at first if you want fast que. cus like every game dps que are slow.
  • HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    DMKano said:
    I am yet to find a game that is not worth a test drive.

At worst it will be so bad that you'll get a chuckle out of it and promptly uninstall.

He was talking about FF, not WS, GW2, or SWTOR. Or AA either.
  • snicolsnicol Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Lots of good info and I certainly appreciate it, i think @Viper482 nailed it for me, I would hate to be so far behind I think I will hang out and wait for Black Desert
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    edited November 2015
    snicol said:
    Lots of good info and I certainly appreciate it, i think @Viper482 nailed it for me, I would hate to be so far behind I think I will hang out and wait for Black Desert
    Then if you really liked AA initially then you will like it much more now since it only got better since launch. More sandbox things to do, more events whether it be PvP or PvE along with a plethora of changes to ease RNG. All of this barely scratches the surface of what's come out since 1.7. With the release of 2.0 a fresh start server I came back an never looked back to the generic casual dungeon grind on rails market we are in. 

Do yourself a favor and pass on this game because based on your game history you would quickly get bored. FFXIV is more akin to a lobby instanced on rails raiding game like WoW and most of the current clones after it. Aside from fluff and other features you can do that you don't come to a MMO to experience the game fails to bring anything new to the table. That being said while it's mainly opinion this game does WoW better than WoW with a bit extra. 

I'd pass on BDO to be honest and if you want to know why ask DMKANO since he summed it up the best in his BDO threads. If you need anymore info on AA then feel free to ask me or Kano.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

I dislike this game for a couple reasons -

1) No action house.  There are some big trade guilds but in general buying is a huge pain in the ass.  Instead of joining guilds for the normal reasons, you join to have customers to sell to.  Nothing like joining a guild specifically to fleece guildmates.

2) When I played, before BTP, it was more like a looting simulator than an mmorpg.  I can't not loot something that is lootable, and in the tutorial there is literally about 7 billion vases and nonsense things to loot.  It takes forever and sucks for people like me.  "Just don't loot it," you say.  Not possible.  Its like a form of OCD playing crpgs since the 80s has given me.  It is impossible for me not to loot something I can loot.

3) I really dislike when character building is tied to doing stupid crap like in DCUO and ESO.  When I hit level cap I want to have my build finalized outside of equipment. 

The story is okay, the combat is okay, the pvp was a really bad mass turtle when I played. 

But, it does have some fancy smancy graphics and eye candy if that matters to you.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Yes! It's a free trial. If you like a "traditional" tab targeting dungeon runner with lots to do, this game is of very high quality.

blamo2000 said:

I dislike this game for a couple reasons -

1) No action house.  There are some big trade guilds but in general buying is a huge pain in the ass.  Instead of joining guilds for the normal reasons, you join to have customers to sell to.  Nothing like joining a guild specifically to fleece guildmates.

2) When I played, before BTP, it was more like a looting simulator than an mmorpg.  I can't not loot something that is lootable, and in the tutorial there is literally about 7 billion vases and nonsense things to loot.  It takes forever and sucks for people like me.  "Just don't loot it," you say.  Not possible.  Its like a form of OCD playing crpgs since the 80s has given me.  It is impossible for me not to loot something I can loot.

3) I really dislike when character building is tied to doing stupid crap like in DCUO and ESO.  When I hit level cap I want to have my build finalized outside of equipment. 

The story is okay, the combat is okay, the pvp was a really bad mass turtle when I played. 

But, it does have some fancy smancy graphics and eye candy if that matters to you.

Welp, they were asking about Final Fantasy but, ESO is a great game. Really fixed it up nice and Orsinium is the bomb.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Any game worth a test drive but is up to you want to spend the money just for a test drive.
    Any game worth a test drive but is up to you want to spend the money just for a test drive.
    FF free trial is ....oh...wait...yeah...free.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Here is a short list of pros,cons,and possible things depending on what you want.

Pros:

1) Great Graphics and Sound
    2) Good Story Line
    3) Alot of Content patches
    4) Alot of fluff content for achievements and vanity gear. (mini games and such)
    5) Indept crafting and gathering systems.

Cons:

1) Endgame is ultra linear
    2) The game is extremely shallow and simplified.
    3) Endgame encounters consist of dodging the Insta-Wipe mechanic and dealing max Deeps.
    4) Lack of guild focus in the game. (They are chat channels only basically, if you do not count the fluff content)
    5) The economy is only good for vanity gear. (Crafter gear is weaker then entree level endgame stuff)

Pro/Con/Neutral (depends on your stance):

1) A tab target mmo
    2) Themepark design
    3) Quest hub design (WoW Style leveling system)
    4) Token grinding for endgame gear. (Face roll dungeon spam)
    5) Final Fantasy Theme and Story

This is what I tell people.

If you love WoW and like Final Fantasy. Then definitely try this game.
    If you like One of the Other. Then try the game.
    If you hate WoW. Then I would look for something else.
    If you hate both. Then stay far away from this game.

You mentioned alot of older school / Sandbox style games. This is the polar opposite of those. Alot of people who loved FFXI, EQ, Lineage completely desipe this game 100%. I know alot of people who fleed this game to go to AA. Just know going in you are playing a WOW clone.
    Free trial is nice and all, but don't tell anyone hows the end game is. And when first levels are very slow with lack of skills to press.
    Free trial is nice and all, but don't tell anyone hows the end game is. And when first levels are very slow with lack of skills to press.
    You must not know how to play mmo's. I and many, many others have had no issues. Must be you.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Baitness said:

What stood out for me is that the quests were well written, even if they had boring objectives.  The game is particularly lovely in the graphics and music department.  With one character you can experience every class.  Crafting is treated like each profession is a class, complete with their own storyline and quests.  This all applies to the base game, not so much the expansion.
    Pretty much this was it for me. I had to quit though due to financial reasons (quit a lot of MMOs at the time for that reason) and the repetative zones when you're adding a new class/job. But I guess that comes with every game that has subclasses (like in Lineage II which I play now) Perhaps I should pick it up again in favor of Lineage II...
    edited November 2015
    You must not know how to play mmo's. I and many, many others have had no issues. Must be you.
    No pretty much you don't understand mmo and how they work, if you think that a low level tells you about how endgame is then I'm sorry that your not getting that pass your head, so then it must be you.

Free trails don't give you the know in how later level works. It's not free to play game that many you have played it must be.:)
    No pretty much you don't understand mmo and how they work, if you think that a low level tells you about how endgame is then I'm sorry that your not getting that pass your head, so then it must be you.
    Yeah, that's it. Ya got me. And yes, low levels can tell you everything, especially if you use your brain and ask people in the game. Or look to the "currency" tab. Hell, there are many way's to get that information from just a free trial.

Again, sorry you do not know how mmo's work.

Jeeze, not everyone is dumb ya know. Google can do most of the work without even using a free trial.
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, that's it. Ya got me. And yes, low levels can tell you everything, especially if you use your brain and ask people in the game. Or look to the "currency" tab. Hell, there are many way's to get that information from just a free trial.

Jeeze, not everyone is dumb ya know. Google can do most of the work without even using a free trial.
    You know google don't give game play experience, someone in google can say it bad or good. But is up to the player to play it and see how the game fits for them. And you come up saying I don't know how mmo work? and your telling goolge is there friend? right there you just end up telling me that your don't understand at all.

edited November 2015

You know google don't give game play experience, someone in google can say it bad or good. But is up to the player to play it and see how the game fits for them. And you come up saying I don't know how mmo work? and your telling goolge is there friend? right there you just end up telling me that your don't understand at all.

AHEEEM  ****clears throat*******

Allow me to list these Youtubers who have been helping players with a plethora of knowledge since the game launched.

VIDEO PROOF OF WHAT IT'S LIKE:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCALEd8FzfaUt-HBBZctO9cg

http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCs2UQ_EJkAAlzXkcTfDj-2g

http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UC5BtIO_vMNvds5sgE-JI6KA

These are a few and they all have guides for hitting 50 in 2.0 and hitting 60 in 3.0 and what's in store for end game.

Jeeze, I can pull guides from a thousand years ago that detail end game.

GUIDES TO HELP WITH END GAME: 

http://eorzeareborn.com/making-sense-of-the-ffxiv-end-game/

http://fextralife.com/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-beginners-guide-to-the-level-50-endgame/

Again, I can keep going.

A smart mmo player will use google or any means to research a game they might be interested in.

Now all of these I have recommended to tons of free trial players. I also get asked ton's of questions about end game, again, which I point them to these guides and youtubers who make their living off this game.

I feel sorry for you that you could not do a simple search and learn about what's to come at endgame. I myself am a pothead and I figured this out better then you did.

edited November 2015

Allow me to list these Youtubers who have been helping players with a plethora of knowledge since the game launched.

These are a few and they all have guides for hitting 50 in 2.0 and hitting 60 in 3.0 and what's in store for end game.

http://fextralife.com/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-beginners-guide-to-the-level-50-endgame/

Again, I can keep going.

A smart mmo player will use google or any means to research a game they might be interested in.

Now all of these I have recommended to tons of free trial players. I also get asked ton's of questions about end game, again, which I point them to these guides and youtubers who make their living off this game.

I feel sorry for you that you could not do a simple search and learn about what's to come at endgame. I myself am a pothead and I figured this out better then you did.

Like I said befor game play experience is not there, Research is good for part of the game for info but not experience in how the game plays for them or the way they like to play. I'm sorry that your still not getting it, trails of a game does not help them understand if the endgame is right for them. They can be playing world of warcraft but are the game play the same? no. Someone on youtube streaming or google review will not tell me how it feels to them.

That is why they need to try it and see how it is pass the trial, sure they should do some research if they want to know part some part of the game. But simple search don't tell them how to learn how to play if there not playing it or trying it.

Keep on going as you don't have any proof how a player can get any game play experience with out playing the game all the way to max level. Showing manuals with out the tools does not work here.

Again, I can keep going.

Like I said befor game play experience is not there, Research is good for part of the game for info but not experience in how the game plays for them or the way they like to play. I'm sorry that your still not getting it, trails of a game does not help them understand if the endgame is right for them. They can be playing world of warcraft but are the game play the same? no. Someone on youtube streaming or google review will not tell me how it feels to them.

That is why they need to try it and see how it is pass the trial, sure they should do some research if they want to know part some part of the game. But simple search don't tell them how to learn how to play if there not playing it or trying it.

Keep on going as you don't have any proof how a player can get any game play experience with out playing the game all the way to max level. Showing manuals with out the tools does not work here.

I'm glad you have no point.
    edited November 2015

Again, I can keep going.

I'm glad you have no point.
    You didn't make any point your self? not on game play experience, only just manuals. I'm glad that you can't make a point. Then go google some more I'm sure that will give you abit experience to learn how to play.
  • FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216
    snicol said:
    I have played a few of the FF series but never seriously at all. I am looking for a new game to ruin my life for. The games i love are Ultima, DaoC, Eve, SWG, and I actually really liked archeage initially .

just wondering if this game is worth a shot....are there any aspects of it that really make it stand out...thanks
    Um, just about every game you listed is sandbox so don't see you liking this game unless you are a themepark virgin and like the other side of the cherry when tasting it. FFXIV doesn't even do horizontal like it's older sister, just straight up vertical.

Some people who played SWG do find the crafting in XIV enjoyable or so they say.  
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited November 2015
    Holy cow.  The straight up lying, misinformation (subjective or otherwise) and or talking about different games entirely in this thread is incredible.  I'm not even able to fit all of the quotes in a single multi-quote this time around.

I'll say what anyone should say without pushing their thoughts onto another -- if a game has trial, try it out.  Then ask people within the game what it would be like to continue onwards, with concerns and the like that you develop.  They are the people who would know, and not people on the forums who just ramble incoherent nonsense or move to argue with one another when the thread is about your question.

Here, you just get people who've never played -- or played briefly and read what others wrote of it -- to give you advice and comment on.  Sooooo many things said that are so out there that they don't even related to the game as a whole (or in the worst case scenario are issues that are years old or don't even relate to the base game or the expansion, but rather FFXIV 1.0 in general).
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.

Here, you just get people who've never played -- or played briefly and read what others wrote of it -- to give you advice and comment on.  Sooooo many things said that are so out there that they don't even related to the game as a whole (or in the worst case scenario are issues that are years old or don't even relate to the base game or the expansion, but rather FFXIV 1.0 in general).
    Yup. Pretty much this. exactly this.