Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of Archeage?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited October 2015 in ArcheAge
Without going into great detail what made it succeed or fail in your opinion? Can you see it turning around?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think the people they need to cut from management aren't going anywhere so this game will likewise never be truly successful.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    I voted don't know.  I don't think it's a great game and I don't think it's a bad game.  it's somewhere in between.  I think it failed to live up to the hype people created for themselves.  But that's on the individual not on the game or the management.
  • redonyouredonyou Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited October 2015
    Potentially great game with several major design flaws, plus game-breaking exploits that were never addressed. This likely then lead to the cash grabbing which could be construed as either bad management or exploitation of the consumer. Ofc that's just my opinion!
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    It has enormous potential, but also I think I enjoyed the game prior to 1.7 more. I don't enjoy how many events there are now. It takes people out of the open world so less people pirate, fish, and run trade runs. I welcome the equalized gear arena that is currently in Korea.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2015
    Typical asian MMO.

Post edited by Gdemami on
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Archeage is a great game with a major flow..........it's cash shop.

I am not sure if that counts as bad management, after all in Korea this business model is the norm.

The problem is that when Trion decided to bring it to the West they should have asked XL games two things:
    1) Having total control of what goes into the cash shop.
    2) Scrap the labour system (again good for Korea, awful for the West)

It looks like Trion did only the English translation and little else for this game, definetly Trion managment is at fault for not getting a better deal out of it.
    Archeage could have been a hit, let's see if Black Desert do it better.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Great game ruined by aggressive monetization model. Such a shame
    So much this. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I think it's a pretty good game.  It at least tried to do some things differently which is appreciated.

Certainly the management of the game is what killed it, or if it's not dead, made it much less successful than it could have been.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This game could have been something very special if not ruined by the horrible cash shop , If only it was a sub model game....
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Back when the game was in "Alpha" I thought it was a terrific game, one of the best experiences I had in years.  Thought I'd be playing it with my guild for quite some time.

Then it "launched", and I never looked at it again due to the clusterf#ck they turned into.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Shame they don't release the server software, so we can make our own. They are obviously scared, that if they did that, no one would pay them their retarded pay 2 win cash shop prices. 
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Only reason i dont play it is the cash shop, give me a sub only server with no cash shop and im there

Loktofeit said:
    So much this. 
    How so..?
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Gdemami said:
    Loktofeit said:
    So much this. 
    How so..?
    Ask DMkano, he is the expert on trions cash shop. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Gdemami said:
    Loktofeit said:
    So much this. 
    How so..?

Its one of those money grabbing gamble box games that just make you want to vomit.  They would nerf drop rates so they could sell cash shop items instead.  Not to mention that the game already required you to spend 15$ a month for subscription.  It was requiring you to pay for everything else too.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    filmoret said:
    Gdemami said:
    Loktofeit said:
    So much this. 
    How so..?

Its one of those money grabbing gamble box games that just make you want to vomit.  They would nerf drop rates so they could sell cash shop items instead.  Not to mention that the game already required you to spend 15$ a month for subscription.  It was requiring you to pay for everything else too.
    Agree, Patron status should have provided almost unlimited labor so subscribers could play the game anyway they desired, even if it was crafting 24x7 without having to either buy from the cash shop (Trion/XL's goal) or jump through many hoops farming or something to earn enough gold to buy what you needed in game.

Also, the messy launch and hacks that permitted an unfair distribution of land in the early days also drove me off as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2015
    Kyleran said:
    Agree, Patron status should have provided almost unlimited labor so subscribers could play the game anyway they desired, even if it was crafting 24x7 without having to either buy from the cash shop (Trion/XL's goal) or jump through many hoops farming or something to earn enough gold to buy what you needed in game.

Also, the messy launch and hacks that permitted an unfair distribution of land in the early days also drove me off as well.
    Isn't the issue labor and land property system itself rather than it's monetization?
  • advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Hmm, horrible cash shop, extreme rng crafting, very gear dependent pvp, p2w as f..ck, very grindy. But interesting class and trade system . I learned my lesson and will never play it again.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    I absolutely fell in love with this game after paying $150 to get in on the alpha, because I knew I would love it from what I was hearing. It was the first MMO experience in years where I felt a living world and community I could lose myself in for a long time. Then release came and Trion/XL made some of the worst decisions ever in MMO history causing a mass exodus from the game, myself inlcuded in that exodus. I am still pissed off to this day over this because this was a great game squandered by the worst management of an MMO I have ever seen.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Viper482 said:
    I absolutely fell in love with this game after paying $150 to get in on the alpha, because I knew I would love it from what I was hearing. It was the first MMO experience in years where I felt a living world and community I could lose myself in for a long time. Then release came and Trion/XL made some of the worst decisions ever in MMO history causing a mass exodus from the game, myself inlcuded in that exodus. I am still pissed off to this day over this because this was a great game squandered by the worst management of an MMO I have ever seen.
    +1
  • killamjlkillamjl Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Labor pot exploit - Bots/players exploiting/duping cash shop labor pots from launch giving some players a huge advantage with unlimited crafting.  
          Trions solution - fix cash shop labor expliot  + 24 hour bans
          Effect on game - massive inflation

Apex dupe - Players duping apex (10$ token for cash shop credits)
         Trions solution - fix dupe + 24 hour bans(and limited account bans for heavy offenders)

Teleport Bots - Not normal bots but teleporting/glitching/speed hacking bots
         Trions solution - wait 4-6 weeks to tag them all before issuing ban wave

Land claim exploits - Programs to claim land before or milliseconds after it becomes available to dominate land ownership from other legit players.
          Trions solution - Ignore it, nothing can be done
          Effect on game - Land ownership to only those who pay

Auction house sniper/zoom hack/radar hacks - More exploits and hacks for those that want and edge over other players
          Trions solution - nothing
          Effect on game - hack or fall behind

XP/Honor exploit - Unlimited generation of exp points and honor
          Trions solution - fix bug after 2 months + 24 hour bans + removal of some items
          Effect on game - Instant level 50 players and perfectly gemmed gear + pvp imbalance

Theres a few more that deal with lag and log in failures (auroria release), and some more cash shop fiascos that cause major inflation and deflation.  The point is Trion had knowledge of these bugs/exploits from Kor/Rus versions and let them happen anyway, and then took no action or did very little to fix them.

I played through all these problems and still enjoyed the game(thats how good it was), but in the end I had to participate in the unsavory activites just to keep up with everyone....ruined the experience for me once i found out how much you could get away with.

Anyone still playing the game has nothing else to play atm, doesnt realize how much exploiting goes on, or is so heavily invested in the cash shop they might as well get there money's worth from the game

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Great game/Poor monetization 
    -Chuckles
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    It had the potential to be a great game but was let down by some bad design decisions and a cash shop.
  • farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Best MMORPG game made in the last 12 years.

Keeps up with the founding ideas of the MMORPG genre where other developers started to fail since 2005.

This is THE MMORPG to go for vet experienced player.

note : it can be played as a sub game, i do it since it released !
    Others play it even for entirely free.  

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    havnt tried it yet will do tht l8r 2 c what all hub bub bout it  is bout n if i like it or not ofc :)