Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now this is how you do a Halloween Event!

AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/All_Saints_Wake/

Now the only question I have is, how long do we get to keep the broom. God I hope its permanent since it'll fly son!

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Aori said:
    If it is anything like last years, nothing to write home about.
    Last year didn't have flight, so never know.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Shades Eve is better

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    looks like WoW, get helmet, get broom, and fight ini :)

no idea why this is supposed to be that super.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

I like flying
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Thane said:

Any post about FF14 made the game sounds superior than other games and I was misguided so much that I subbed twice, both time I couldn't find the motivation to even log in. I sincerely think 99% of these posts are written by gunners hired by Square Enix because no normal person can be this enthusiastic about a game that is dated both graphically and mechanically. Just FYI both time I subbed, I really put a lot of effort to like the game. Nothing ever special popped up, all was "been there done that".

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Thane said:

Any post about FF14 made the game sounds superior than other games and I was misguided so much that I subbed twice, both time I couldn't find the motivation to even log in. I sincerely think 99% of these posts are written by gunners hired by Square Enix because no normal person can be this enthusiastic about a game that is dated both graphically and mechanically. Just FYI both time I subbed, I really put a lot of effort to like the game. Nothing ever special popped up, all was "been there done that".
    What? The graphics don't look dated at all, aside from a few low resolution textures here and there. It's easily one of the best looking MMOs on the market. 

Also, who the hell are you to decide what a 'normal person' is? That statement just reeks of arrogance and pretentiousness. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    cant wait to get the broom mount :D , my FC is doing a event in the house (haunted house!) , and after that a race with brooms :chuffed: 
    edited October 2015
    Well the game certainly isn't for everyone and I didn't mention that it was better or worse overall, I just mentioned the event cause I want the darn broom. But being on these forums sure does beat what's going on right now on AA's forums since the maintenance got extended to an unknown completion time lol.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Thane said:

Maybe you should just accept the fact that the game wasn't your cup of tea and there are other people that actually do like it.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Thane said:

See kids! This is why you shouldn't do drugs.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Thane said:

As much as I don't like FFXIV (in general I don't like eastern anime themed games or games aimed at kids), I wouldn't say FFXIV has dated graphics.

Aside from ESO and now Black Desert I don't know of any other MMORPG that has better graphics than FFXIV.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    edited October 2015
    From looking at the event page it certainly looks interesting, especially the lalafel. That is until you scroll down and see yet again a gaudy recycled and recolored outfit and a mount that does nothing different than any other mount. 

What If we got fangs that our characters could use as a glamour and I would of simply subbed if I could get a little outfit for my lalafel with cute bat wings like in the image. Why not add some spooky furnishing which you could display in your home or maybe a Haunted house skin much like the moogle one shown a few weeks back for 3.1?

As someone showed above Wildstar did well above and beyond with their event. You actually get a haunted house for your personal housing plot and actually go trick or treating to other player homes and collect candy to purchase more fluff.  Finishing all this you get a entire new dungeon to do! You can even obtained furnishings and props used in the Halloween zone.... Yet for FFXIV here is yet another boring event, come get your reskinned outfit and crappy flying mount reskin.... The video below does well to illustrate how ones REALLY does a Halloween event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yy5nUMCakI

On a separate note, is there a way to allowed embedded youtube videos on here? Not exactly familiar with how one does that or if its possible.
    Well, while I agree it is an average event. It does give Halloween wall paper, furnature and decorations for your house.
    And hence why I was confused by the opening post. My roommate did mention about the wallpaper and the furniture items so I apologize for not noticing that but it could of very well showed more info on the event image. Glad they added more than what was shown but it matters little as housing is available for a privileged few in FFXIV to land holding (even small plots being held hostage meanwhile we still wait for this "heavensward land"). We were told personal housing (similar to mog houses from ffxi) were to be added to players with shallower pockets to be added in 2.1 yet I am still waiting...
  • BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited October 2015

As much as I don't like FFXIV (in general I don't like eastern anime themed games or games aimed at kids), I wouldn't say FFXIV has dated graphics.

Aside from ESO and now Black Desert I don't know of any other MMORPG that has better graphics than FFXIV.
    This would be opinionated, but just to name few mmos which I think they have better graphics, GW2(which isn't recent release), TSW(not including animation), Skyforge, WS and even stuff like Defiance, including the two you mentioned. The whole feeling of graphic being dated is just the grainy presentation of the whole game. 

As for people who made fun of me and everything, I really just wanted to make a point that the hype and enthusiasm for FF14 appear unreal to me, pretender at best. I've been seriously thinking there's still forums warriors and gunners who defend FF14 when it really shouldn't be a mmo genre; I think jrpg needs to be jrpg.

I mean, for a very ordinary event promotion page, there are common folks talk about how GREAT it is, there is probably something fishy going on.

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    @Groqstrong The voice in that video was hella creepy!  How are you liking the Wildstar reboot?
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Somebody said the game is dated ...ummmm lmao,i'll file that under clueless gamer,belongs in WOW.

The game fails at a lot of things or does not do a lot of things the way i like to see them,but dated graphics is just such a lame statement it is pathetic.

For the record i don't find any event in any game to be that amazing,after all it is free content,so accept it for what it is.It is an event that breaks up the monotony a bit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited October 2015

This would be opinionated, but just to name few mmos which I think they have better graphics, GW2(which isn't recent release), TSW(not including animation), Skyforge, WS and even stuff like Defiance, including the two you mentioned. The whole feeling of graphic being dated is just the grainy presentation of the whole game. 

As for people who made fun of me and everything, I really just wanted to make a point that the hype and enthusiasm for FF14 appear unreal to me, pretender at best. I've been seriously thinking there's still forums warriors and gunners who defend FF14 when it really shouldn't be a mmo genre; I think jrpg needs to be jrpg.

I mean, for a very ordinary event promotion page, there are common folks talk about how GREAT it is, there is probably something fishy going on.
    As much as I like to complain about this game, are there seriously still graphic whores in this day and age? I mean games have moved away from higher graphics to either pay homage to older genres such a platformers and art based assets rather than pushing shiney. I mean there are games like black desert and blade and soul on the horizon which are both far more superior but where does that even fit into the problem? Many people are aware that a flowerpot in 1.0 had more poly's than a full character in 2.0, it was a compromise to allow the game to run on PS4 (which it barely does let alone PS3 *shudder*) though I will admit textures are very washed out and low poly. Anyone can see all the low texture objects in the game world (especially now that you can get closer to more objects with flying) but it not the main problem...

Your second paragraph is spot on as far as the pretender observation, if you think its bad here then you should see how things go down on the OF. Not minutes after you express concerns and show areas where the game should improve you are swarmed and gunned down by the apologists and pretenders. Your post is quickly buried with 100% satisfaction and there is virtually nothing wrong with their WoW with FF Skin token grinder dress up simulator online world. 

As far as your claims on FF not belonging as an online world, I can see that you probably haven't played FFXI. The game had many of its own problems for many years but has delivered on some of the best story I have ever seen in a FF game or go even as far as saying any other MMO to date. It (like much of the other mmos of that time frame) harbored some one of the best/helpful/memorable playerbase to date and still to this day retains most of it. As its been said many times before this is purely my opinion, but I can't say I've run across anyone that played FFXI and felt it didn't fit in the MMO genre.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

As much as I like to complain about this game, are there seriously still graphic whores in this day and age? I mean games have moved away from higher graphics to either pay homage to older genres such a platformers and art based assets rather than pushing shiney. I mean there are games like black desert and blade and soul on the horizon which are both far more superior but where does that even fit into the problem? Many people are aware that a flowerpot in 1.0 had more poly's than a full character in 2.0, it was a compromise to allow the game to run on PS4 (which it barely does let alone PS3 *shudder*) though I will admit textures are very washed out and low poly. Anyone can see all the low texture objects in the game world (especially now that you can get closer to more objects with flying) but it not the main problem...

Your second paragraph is spot on as far as the pretender observation, if you think its bad here then you should see how things go down on the OF. Not minutes after you express concerns and show areas where the game should improve you are swarmed and gunned down by the apologists and pretenders. Your post is quickly buried with 100% satisfaction and there is virtually nothing wrong with their WoW with FF Skin token grinder dress up simulator online world. 

As far as your claims on FF not belonging as an online world, I can see that you probably haven't played FFXI. The game had many of its own problems for many years but has delivered on some of the best story I have ever seen in a FF game or go even as far as saying any other MMO to date. It (like much of the other mmos of that time frame) harbored some one of the best/helpful/memorable playerbase to date and still to this day retains most of it. As its been said many times before this is purely my opinion, but I can't say I've run across anyone that played FFXI and felt it didn't fit in the MMO genre.
    Uh....just because you're not happy with something doesnt mean everyone else is.  You're saying they're wrong not to agree with you?  You can have beef but they can't be happy with how things are?  Full of yourself much?  That second paragraph is spot on ignorant is what I see.
    edited October 2015

Uh....just because you're not happy with something doesnt mean everyone else is.  You're saying they're wrong not to agree with you?  You can have beef but they can't be happy with how things are?  Full of yourself much?  That second paragraph is spot on ignorant is what I see.
    Can't say that I disagree with you, "Not minutes after you express your CONCERNS and show areas where the game should improve" is what I am referring to. While this bit could be changed from explain areas or from should to could would make me sound a little less full of myself so this is where I agree with you. While I was incorrect in my explanation there are countless threads that are much more tame and neutral. Most being very passive and merely sharing ideas and noticing areas where the game does not succeed so well in. 

The problem in all of this isn't that people have various opinions, its that people are utterly unwilling to accept the game is not flawless and proceed to belittle anyone that does. People like that  ruin games but the real problem is a major portion of the users that actually frequent the forums are these aggressive apologists. You may think nothing on the subject but this does very little to let SE know where they can improve the game. There are players on this forum like Driven who can actively enjoy playing the game because it fits "their" needs but can still acknowledge the game can be even better. What I am trying to say is driven is one of the very few players that doesn't go into immediate aggressive "la la la I cant hear you" turtle mode once any "heretic" dare makes any negative comment. Nor does go full comparison mode of FFXIV vs. WoW/Any other MMO as if they think I gave a flying chocobo how they compare. 

Where I am going with this is that it couldn't hurt for some of the white knights to be a little more open minded and for those that have ideas and concerns to not be discouraged by the aggressive stance the apologists take. The problem is that those who speak up could care less of the future of the game and move on and I don't blame them. When you drop some criticism on the OF and the first thing you see is "Then quit if you don't like it, I am enjoying the game myself" or "See you next major patch then" followed by walls of apologist comments like "Their design team is so small and they work so hard". I mean I can't honestly say I have ever seen game supported in such a manner and it freaks me out. 

In the end if the players that are content with the game/are the current audience FFXIV is catered to makes up a huge part of the playerbase then maybe its a lost cause to argue. That being said I wouldn't be surprised when SE releases their current sub numbers that they can't even push higher than 1M subs in NA. I mean 500k is a lot and 1M sounds like an amazing crowning achievement but if the game has no flaws and HW did nothing but better the game (as the apologists claim) then they should have more subs than they did in 2.55 no?
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Can't say that I disagree with you, "Not minutes after you express your CONCERNS and show areas where the game should improve" is what I am referring to. While this bit could be changed from explain areas or from should to could would make me sound a little less full of myself so this is where I agree with you. While I was incorrect in my explanation there are countless threads that are much more tame and neutral. Most being very passive and merely sharing ideas and noticing areas where the game does not succeed so well in. 

The problem in all of this isn't that people have various opinions, its that people are utterly unwilling to accept the game is not flawless and proceed to belittle anyone that does. People like that  ruin games but the real problem is a major portion of the users that actually frequent the forums are these aggressive apologists. You may think nothing on the subject but this does very little to let SE know where they can improve the game. There are players on this forum like Driven who can actively enjoy playing the game because it fits "their" needs but can still acknowledge the game can be even better. What I am trying to say is driven is one of the very few players that doesn't go into immediate aggressive "la la la I cant hear you" turtle mode once any "heretic" dare makes any negative comment. Nor does go full comparison mode of FFXIV vs. WoW/Any other MMO as if they think I gave a flying chocobo how they compare. 

Where I am going with this is that it couldn't hurt for some of the white knights to be a little more open minded and for those that have ideas and concerns to not be discouraged by the aggressive stance the apologists take. The problem is that those who speak up could care less of the future of the game and move on and I don't blame them. When you drop some criticism on the OF and the first thing you see is "Then quit if you don't like it, I am enjoying the game myself" or "See you next major patch then" followed by walls of apologist comments like "Their design team is so small and they work so hard". I mean I can't honestly say I have ever seen game supported in such a manner and it freaks me out. 

In the end if the players that are content with the game/are the current audience FFXIV is catered to makes up a huge part of the playerbase then maybe its a lost cause to argue. That being said I wouldn't be surprised when SE releases their current sub numbers that they can't even push higher than 1M subs in NA. I mean 500k is a lot and 1M sounds like an amazing crowning achievement but if the game has no flaws and HW did nothing but better the game (as the apologists claim) then they should have more subs than they did in 2.55 no?
    There will be people like that in any game forums.  Can you honestly say there isn't?  That only final fantasy fans are that way?  If you think that you sure do have some kind of bias against those fans.

Even though I don't agree with you with most things, you do  make compelling and thought out arguments but then you throw in some name calling.  There's no need for that.  Why stoop to their level?  It just makes people only see that one thing and nothing else you're trying to say.

Also times have change, there are so many games to play these days, I feel no matter how good the game is, It will never reach heights in which only one game has ever done.  Maintaining what they have in this market is already an amazing feat.  Could they do better? Of course, you think the developers are stupid?  They're not listening to all the happy people.  They listen to thought out criticism.  Things that make them take notice, not someone that responds with go play another game or this game sucks.  You get my point.  You are a smart man.

So go ahead and criticize the game how you please, just remember there will be disagreements and some WILL act like children but I say again, don't stoop down to that level, it makes you just as bad as them. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

500k would've still killed Star Wars Galaxies, because EQ was at 650k. SWG needed to beat EQ to not have had NGE happen, or so the story goes.

There will be people like that in any game forums.  Can you honestly say there isn't?  That only final fantasy fans are that way?  If you think that you sure do have some kind of bias against those fans.

Even though I don't agree with you with most things, you do  make compelling and thought out arguments but then you throw in some name calling.  There's no need for that.  Why stoop to their level?  It just makes people only see that one thing and nothing else you're trying to say.

Also times have change, there are so many games to play these days, I feel no matter how good the game is, It will never reach heights in which only one game has ever done.  Maintaining what they have in this market is already an amazing feat.  Could they do better? Of course, you think the developers are stupid?  They're not listening to all the happy people.  They listen to thought out criticism.  Things that make them take notice, not someone that responds with go play another game or this game sucks.  You get my point.  You are a smart man.

So go ahead and criticize the game how you please, just remember there will be disagreements and some WILL act like children but I say again, don't stoop down to that level, it makes you just as bad as them. 
    To be honest I have seen various communities be passionate about the game they enjoy but rarely do I see to the degree of the folk on the official forums. To be quite honest I do not the term apologists and white knights to be a offensive term, rather quite the opposite really, but it seems these days everything is taken negatively and everyone is offended over anything. On the flip side I could be directly insulting their intelligence (which I did in the past I will admit) and judging them from a personal level. Often times I will get a little bitey with the commentary but that just may be the leftover FFXIV 1.2 memories from when the game was a actual Final Fantasy. The result is some of the dormant rage rises to the surface, and as a result some less than grownup words get spat out (but I am fairly civil on the official forums, more than I am here sadly). 

As far as your times have changed bit I am in 100% agreement with you, but it still pains for me to have to accept it. After doing some pondering I have come the the realization that this all stems from me being a long time Final Fantasy player and so I hold very high standards for Square. Ever since FFXIII and moving forward It was a really tough time for the company and as a result the botched launch of FFXIV just makes me feel like 2.0 was a safe compromise. This was at what feels like the cost of what it means to be a final fantasy game; a rich engrossing story filled to the brim with memorable characters and a real sense of a "journey" and "adventure". Not a B rated movie cinematic experience with lobby based bite sized adventures inside a massive sprawling soul-less world with nothing going on all with a emphasis on dressup! 

Final fantasy was a final bastion to me when it comes to the dreary and done 100 times already market that is MMORPG's. FFXI is finally setting its name down and is becoming a mobile app to allow it to live forever after 13+ successful years thanks to a dedicated and innovative development team and an equally amazing community. The game itself is living proof that you don't have to cater to everyone to be successful but bring a community together, this goes without saying for DAoC, Ultima, EQ and even EQ2. 

Because god damn it Vandal, there are plenty of games that copy WoW just as WoW is itself and Square didn't have to be just like everyone else. Instead of making a game for the interests of a flaky, shallow, and temporary playerbase you could do better to build a solid game with a equally solid community that could invest itself in the long run. This is what Square has done before and has built its successes based on what the original meaning of what a Final Fantasy game is. 

500k would've still killed Star Wars Galaxies, because EQ was at 650k. SWG needed to beat EQ to not have had NGE happen, or so the story goes.
    500k players back then and 500k players in this day and age are completely different beasts and couldn't possibly be compared with one another. In just a little over a decade the MMO market went from a handful to several thousand living breathing online worlds, and since then has brought a immeasurable amount of players thanks to social icons like World of Warcraft e.t.c. You just cant try to compare statistics of then with the expectations of now, because I am fairly sure 500k subs pre HW was not what SE would call a success for the degree of the investment made to reboot it. 
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    The best thing about this event is I was finished with it on two characters in less than 45 minutes...good thing because I have so much to do in other MMO's while waiting for 3.1.  The broom mount / costume is great!  And for whoever mentioned Shade's Eve in WS? The instance is fun the first time through, after that annoying/repetitive.  The dailies are tedius...and the lag OH the lag - their server(s) really are god awful...at least they have an excuse now since it is F2P....
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Can't you just buy the event items in the item shop after the event is over now? I like a lot about this game but hate that most people aren't allowed to do anything special or unique, because SE is afraid others might feel left out and quit. I've read that they don't focus on guild content for fear of those who don't/can't have a guild feeling like they are being left out of game content. Counter intuitive to what I look for in the genre.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.