Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did you last play this game?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited October 2015 in Everquest II
Just to see if this game has a playerbase when was the last time you logged into this game?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I always want to, but there's always something else too. /shrug

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I never played at launch; however, Ive tried it a few times and never lasted long.  Despite having a decent rig the game seems to play horribly. Remember hating combat and character movement. Really wanted to like also since this seems like it could be an awesome PvE game, which is what I was looking for.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    I had spurts where I played EQ2 for good lengths of time...the major thing that sort of turned me off was the forcing of archetypes into roles. Ideally I wanted a top tier DPS warrior, or a top tier DPS monk, but unfortunately those roles were somewhat artificially gated to be 'Tank types'.

I'm sure that those who are more into the game can tell me "But you can do that to some extent" and I can recognize that. But it just wasn't what I truly 'wanted', EQ2 felt more restrictive in that regard than what I had personally envisioned (right or wrong as it maybe).

It may be a bizarre line to draw, but I personally feel that FF14 is a better successor to EQ than EQ2 was.
  • SeriphinXSeriphinX Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I know this thread is over a week old.  I am installing it now.  I've played off and on before.  I always get nostalgic for it when the holidays from Halloween to Christmas begin as I always enjoyed the events.  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2015
    I tried hard yesterday but almost immediately got bored.I was logged in about an hour and all i did was harvest ,the entire time my mind was constantly thinking of where i would rather be.

I restarted on the time lock feeling a fresh new start would be fun and it was for about a month.Had a great guild leader but he seemed all emotional and stuff and quit the game,it sort of made me lose interest at the same time.It does open your mind up because my guild leader seemed about as passionate about the game as anyone i have ever seen,so for him to just up and quit it really says something.

IMO a LOT centers around grouping/raiding more so than people realize.The solo aspect of gaming is always boring or gets to be boring rather quickly,so then you have to rely solely on what grouping and raiding you take part in.It is a nice way to bring people together but Raiding imo needs too many players,it can have a negative effect on the guild leader if not enough participate.The entire guild structure cna have a negative effect if it is not done well so that everyone feels a part of that guild and remains happy that they are in that guild.The leader alone cannot accomplish that,it is the game's structure that does most of it or lacks most of it.

To make it clear,the problem with EQ2 is it is just way too much exactly like WOW or Wow is too much like EQ2,the game design is just not good enough,it is just a simple template and nothing more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    It has been around 2 years for me at this point since I've even logged into EQ2.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I played it for two weeks a year after it came out, got bored and returned to WOW.
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I will say this for EQ2; It provided one of the most immersive MMO experiences I've had the honor of being a part of.  In particular I remember the haunted house that is a part of the quest The Haunting.  It was such an involved little scare romp that really did some things with dungeon crawling and triggered events that I've yet to see in any other MMO.  Story telling, the Mithaniel Marr questline for Paladins in this case, really made you feel like the beacon of light that would be necessary to defeat Cthulu. 

Anyway, basically saying EQ2=awesome, other games=awesome too but its definitely a different kind of awesome you won't see elsewhere. No EQ2 is not perfect but if you haven't tried it before definitely do.  Granted our preferred cups of tea all vary but for sure its taste will appeal to a percentage of you out there. 
  • LivedeffloLivedefflo Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I reinstalled a couple days ago. I've played every mmo under the sun at this point since 1999. I'd like to play  EQ-2 starting from scratch and reach max level and experience some high end stuff. Would anyone be interested? I can do All Access if needs be. Just shoot me a message or comment.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited November 2015

March or maybe it was April? Can't remember exactly.

After completing  the last expansion questline I just lost interest .

Played this game from day one so that makes it almost 11 years? The direction it has gone is not what I wanted over the last 5 years.

In the end I was grinding to 100 in a few days on 10 (level 90)  char slots mentored down to 65 doing KC just to do it out of pure boredom.

I found it so fixed on rails I just couldn't handle it anymore.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    My first experience playing this game was in 2009 when it went free to play. I played it on and off until Chains of Eternity thats when i think i had "seen it all" and the game experience was never the same. I bought Altar of Malice for shits and giggles and am attempting to get my character to that level, right now im at level 83. I wanted to make a raid character for both Everquest games that's my goal but i guess i havent really played EQ2 in a short while been absorbed by Everquest mostly. Still a good game and to me it was better than my experience in World of Warcraft.WoW is the better game but nothing special to me. I like walking through nektolus forest and being completely enchanted by it. I like the commonlands i just like the Everquest universe. People like to say immersion but i like to think of it as a relationship. How the game treats you. You can pick up shinies, loot botany supplies from mobs to give to vendors that give you rare collections which you turn in for titles, gear, house items. Stuff like that, certain aspects of the game are pretty sweet.  You can harvest rare materials that have sparkles in the icon so you know you can make something special out of it or give or sell it to someone who can. The quest updates are interesting where inanimate items are turned into inter-actable pixels and questlines could be EPIC. Its really a great game overall i think everyone who hasnt tried it should, its f2p, probably the best f2p game out there. anyway, im rambling. This is one where it gotten better every year its been out since 2004.
  • UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I logged in roughly 3 months ago. I like to log in periodically to check in with friends still playing and to complete spell research.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Been a few years. I hate the mechanics.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    I've played it within the month but have since taken it off the computer. I think I love the classes but never liked the world or aesthetics.  It's always been love/hate.

And now that I've made Black Desert my main game I don't really feel like playing other mmo's until Pantheon releases or Dragon's Dogma Online comes to the West.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    DMKano said:
    Also the OP is missing - never played it/have no desire to play it
    Thats on there, its called Just see the Results. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It's been a few years. This is the only game I have ever played where I feel guilty, like I never gave it enough of a chance or stuck with it long enough. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Years .

around the time those mini-pay to play content packages came out.  The Vampire one I think. 

I remember I did the whole faction betrayal quest too,..was cool.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I started 2 weeks after launch and loved it.  I have characters on Nagafen and Antonia Bayle.  The last time I played was during the TLE server launch.  I got bored after a month and haven't played since then.

EQ2 has always been one of those games that I always come back to eventually, but for now I'm burned out.  

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
    I tried getting into the TLE servers but just couldn't get into it, a shame because I know the game is good

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    EQ2 was a fantastic MMORPG and if approached a certain way one of the best MMORPGs of all time.  It's important to note that the later expansions really did the game a disservice and were not even close to the quality that the old player base use to expect.  If you focus on expansions content from level 60's to 80's it's a fantastic game.  If you rush to the current end game than you have a shell of a game that isn't worth playing.

Comparing it to WoW I would say that EQ2 is far superior to WoW based on it's level 60 to 80 content.. after that it's like SOE/Daybreak gave up on the game and threw in the towel.  I've played both EQ2 and WoW extensively and I think that's a far assessment of it.  Note my first MMORPG was DAOC so that's my bread and butter and where my bias is, I don't feel that I have a bias for EQ2.  Also note that EQ2 going to a hybrid F2P model really hurt the game, very poor decision by the developers.

So to sum it up, do your research on EQ2 and set goals (from the past), such as raiding Veeshan's Peak and going through the Timelines, Signature and Heritage quests of those expansions.. that can be a very rewarding experience especially if you can group with some people or get a guild that is also focused on that content.  If you try to rush to the end game you will be disappointed. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Wife and I played a little over a year ago and had a blast for 4 months and then we hit end game. At end game people were so cliqueish we just could not find people to play with. People were helpful and friendly, offing money and taking time to PL you. Endgame, fit in a raid or dungeon run? No way, been doing that with the same people for 6-10 years. Its one game I was really upset we had to walk away from. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The game play combat is still so clunky. They should have taken that everquest next money and give this game more fluid combat. Every time i login i remember why i quit as soon as i start combat. The game world is so amazing yet it sucks to play in it. The only thing i really like was the housing and crafting. I have a beautiful home in this game and i crafted all the furnishing for my home.
  • keinersonersterkeinersonerster Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I have a few characters on Stormhold.  I quit logging in about two weeks ago but just checked in yesterday and I plan to start up again with EoF next week.  Hopefully some of the issues we saw in KoS don't follow us into EoF.  I also tried logging into my characters on AB but was too lost because it's been a few years so gave that up real fast.