Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The rising cost of WoW tokens - implications?

gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
The gold cost of WoW tokens has risen; hard to be precise as costs are by faction/server but "more than doubled" or "gone through the roof" seems to be the order of the day. So what might be going on?

Many official forum posters seem to have forgotten what drives the price believing it is simply Blizzard reacting to server supply & demand - so a quick refresher. What Blizzard said is that they would be monitoring external gold seller prices and setting token prices accordingly.

So a quick check on gold seller prices and - sure enough - they have nose dived. And many are advertising "huge stocks" and big discounts. No surprise then that if you can get 60k gold from a gold seller for $20 the cost of the tokens are going to have to be "about 60k". Remember that is the key link.

If a person wants to buy gold and they can get 60k from a gold seller they are - probably - not going to buy a token if all they will get is 30k. And if its 150k or  it is in some regions ......

So why? Could be a combination of factors:

- tokens are having an impact on gold sellers and, as predicted, gold sellers have cut their prices;
- gold farming has become easier as a result of garrisons enabling them to offer more gold
- they have huge stocks and want to get rid of them (worth less as WoW subs "decline")
- fewer players means fewer buyers.

Comments

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    About 50k subscribers a week are leaving WoW for FFXIV. This is confirmed by an inside source of mine at Blizzard who wishes to remain anonymous. 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    About 50k subscribers a week are leaving WoW for FFXIV. This is confirmed by an inside source of mine at Blizzard who wishes to remain anonymous. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2015
    No new content means players won't spend money on anything else.

They're going to hoard it and have no other use for it than WoW tokens.

Gold sellers must reduce their gold prices to be below the price asked by Blizzard in their WoW token shop or players are just going to buy their gold legitimately from Blizzard through the token system.

PS. Panserbjorne39 was it a bad blizzard outside when you were writing your message?

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Well, this is what happens when micro transactions become the name of the game. It started 5-10 years ago and has only gotten worse. We are being robbed and no one is doing anything about it. 
  • user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    One thing that's happening, I think, is that the microtransactions have started their descent.  Every scheme eventually runs its course and people will want something different.  But it's not as if the oldschoolers didn't warn everyone about how it was going to turn out when these games started down that path.  It was only a matter of time.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Somewhat off topic but declining subs - absolutely one of the factors. And gold sellers will have paid farmers - some of whom may have been laid off! - so they will want to recoup their costs.

(Inside sorce info? Assume "true" - and not bait - a source at WoW wouldn't have info on FFXIV. What they could have access to however are the leaving surveys. So - maybe - FFXIV is being listed as the reason for leaving by c.50k people a week, small enough number to be true as well. Off topic though.)
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    edited October 2015
    Moirae said:
    Well, this is what happens when micro transactions become the name of the game. It started 5-10 years ago and has only gotten worse. We are being robbed and no one is doing anything about it. 
    you do know you're playing the same game for the same price. just cause a option exist that you can use in game gold as a alternative to paying a sub price, that has a varying value, does not = "We are being robbed and no one is doing anything about it.".....

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    How does your "inside source" know they are going to FFXIV?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    50K leaving Wow could be true but how would they know for which game? Even if a few said for FFXIV I doubt all 50K said so in an end survey.

And well, if half of the statement is a guess at best I wouldn't take the other part seriously either.

FFXIV is a good game but GW2s core game just went F2P and it releases an expansion now, that will take some players. Then you also have games like ESO, TOR and a bunch of others.

So sorry but it makes little sense. Wow have clearly been losing players and they probably still are losing them since there wont be any content patches until the expansion (or the pre expansion patch) but i FFXIV actually gained 50K players each week we would hear a lot about it, would be great for marketing. In fact it would be larger then Wow by now or at least in a few weeks. I kinda doubt that.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    gervaise1 said:
    The gold cost of WoW tokens has risen; hard to be precise as costs are by faction/server but "more than doubled" or "gone through the roof" seems to be the order of the day. So what might be going on?

Many official forum posters seem to have forgotten what drives the price believing it is simply Blizzard reacting to server supply & demand - so a quick refresher. What Blizzard said is that they would be monitoring external gold seller prices and setting token prices accordingly.

So a quick check on gold seller prices and - sure enough - they have nose dived. And many are advertising "huge stocks" and big discounts. No surprise then that if you can get 60k gold from a gold seller for $20 the cost of the tokens are going to have to be "about 60k". Remember that is the key link.

If a person wants to buy gold and they can get 60k from a gold seller they are - probably - not going to buy a token if all they will get is 30k. And if its 150k or  it is in some regions ......

So why? Could be a combination of factors:

- tokens are having an impact on gold sellers and, as predicted, gold sellers have cut their prices;
    - gold farming has become easier as a result of garrisons enabling them to offer more gold
    - they have huge stocks and want to get rid of them (worth less as WoW subs "decline")
    - fewer players means fewer buyers.

Both correct and incorrect.  Your assertion that there is now a ridiculous amount of gold in the WoW economy is correct.  Your assertion that going to a gold selling site is just as appealing as buying a token from Blizzard is laughable. 

The problem ultimately is inflation.  WoW gold is nearly worthless now due to a vast expansion in supply meanwhile the value of a dollar is holding relatively steady.  When every player owns their own gold printing press it's not rocket science to figure out what's happening. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I have a friend at SE who confirmed it was more like 5 Million subscribers per week. But he wants to remain anonymous....But trust me....I confirmed it......really.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    waynejr2 said:
    My guess would be the survey. I know I told them what ever game i would be going back to when I left WoW.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Brenics said:
    waynejr2 said:
    My guess would be the survey. I know I told them what ever game i would be going back to when I left WoW.

So you are saying that 50k per week are actually filling out that survey and that 50k are going to FFXIV?  Not going to any other game?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

reeereee said:
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip>

Both correct and incorrect.  Your assertion that there is now a ridiculous amount of gold in the WoW economy is correct.  Your assertion that going to a gold selling site is just as appealing as buying a token from Blizzard is laughable. 

The problem ultimately is inflation.  WoW gold is nearly worthless now due to a vast expansion in supply meanwhile the value of a dollar is holding relatively steady.  When every player owns their own gold printing press it's not rocket science to figure out what's happening. 

My assertion that going to a gold seller is more appealing? Not what I said. Blizzard themselves alluded to the link. For sure Blizzard will be able to "charge" a premium - as in offer less gold per $. Only up to a point however. A lot of gold sellers have been around a long time so - imo - we have to assume that they are delivering. And after that it is just a matter of "haggling".  If Blizzard offers 20 gold for $20 would you go to Blizzard or the long established gold seller offering 60k gold? Remember people have been using gold sellers for years.

As far as the amount of gold goes - is there "more" in the economy now than there was say 3 months ago?

It certainly isn't about the $. This is happening globally. Players being able to print there own money - as in gold farmers - maybe. Remember this isn't a simple in-game supply and demand thing. The Blizzard "gold value" of a token mirrors what gold sellers are offering (as far as I checked on multiple servers). You will get an indirect link though hence maybe. 
    waynejr2 said:
    Brenics said:
    waynejr2 said:

So you are saying that 50k per week are actually filling out that survey and that 50k are going to FFXIV?  Not going to any other game?

Panserbjorne39 would need to enlighten us. A survey was just my "guess" (assuming real info of course :) because as posters realised a single source won't have access to both WoW and FFXIV data - and people joining e.g. FFXIV don't fill out a last game played survey!

50k a week though - only 650k in a quarter - struck me as a "plausible" number. You have to assume that not everyone would fill out the survey and of those that did some would give different answers. And yes I am assuming that WoW subs may be down more than 650k in Q3.

Maybe this is a part of it or maybe it is just gold inflation as suggested above. People leaving impacts  an economy though as well.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    I like my pimped out D3 characters much better than any of my WOW characters.  That said,  WOW players declining is the biggest reason for token prices being  inflated.  Reminds me of RIFT. Ohh wow!! Something RIFT beat WOW at! Tokens and a dead population:-D