Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you want from your ideal MMORPG without mentioning features as much as possible?

Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
edited October 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
To be more specific, what do you want from the experience once you log in?

For me I want a unique player oriented experience each time I log in. I want challenge from the AI that varies from NPC to NPC. I want interdependency between players that is not exclusive to combat and especially not end game. I want combat roles to specialized DPS, Support, healing, buffing, crowd control, etc. I want shallow more inclusive vertical progression and more skill and tactical based combat. I want open ended player story over developer story. I want quest to be fewer, more detailed and less tied to progression grind. I want a world that is logically built not a progression funnel.

Those are the main things I can think of.

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    At least two major factions in conflict - a kill on sight type Open World PvP. I want the feeling of being in a world so big that distant places really feel distant. I want to be able to sneak across enemy lines to gank a few opposing noobs, but careful enough to where protective guards wont see / 1-shot me.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Multiple weapons for every class.  I don't like the your a warrior you weird a great ace and that's it.  Slower progression.  I like the journey.  Exploration  in which random treasures are placed in a box and the placed randomly threw the world not treasure spawn locations 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Vardahoth said:
    How about to start, a game where players actually interact with each other. You know, an MMORPG. Everything else was already said in this video:

<snip>

That's a pretty terrible 'rant' video, imo. It's the usual random internet guy who is comparing everything to their first mmo experience and pining for yesteryear. Then go on and talk about 'dumbing down for casuals' and further inserting their own opinions as facts. Far too many gamers live in the past.

All I ever ask for out of a game is for it to be fun, have challenges, have things to strive for and to respect my time. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited October 2015
    I want a wonder-inspiring colorful and relatively cheerful but not childish world, with interesting original worldbuilding, attractive character graphics, and cool monster and plant graphics, interactable NPCs with appealing personalities and interesting stories, and lots of gameplay elements suited to experimenting, such as sandboxy crafting or pet breeding or minigames.  Additionally it's very important that my stuff and endeavors within the game be safe from other players or game-created disasters.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    To be more specific, what do you want from the experience once you log in?

For me I want a unique player oriented experience each time I log in. I want challenge from the AI that varies from NPC to NPC. I want interdependency between players that is not exclusive to combat and especially not end game. I want combat roles to specialized DPS, Support, healing, buffing, crowd control, etc. I want shallow more inclusive vertical progression and more skill and tactical based combat. I want open ended player story over developer story. I want quest to be fewer, more detailed and less tied to progression grind. I want a world that is logically built not a progression funnel.

Those are the main things I can think of.

I want a new Asheron's Call experience.  In other words I want:

1. A HUGE World
    2. Non-Linear Questing
    3. Exploration Centric with thousands of Dungeons to explore
    4. Skill based Classless system with emphasis on Hybridization over pure archetypes
    5. A loot based, ARPG styled tiered item system
    6. Non-Gold/Currency based economy where Items and Special Vendor Recipe systems act as currency similar to early AC's Motes which were used to buy Shadow Armor.  Or similar to Path of Exile's Currency Drop
    7. Leveling speed between levels fairly fast but Leveling to cap is extremely challenging and long.  At least 6 months to a Year for the most dedicated.
    8. Risk vs. Reward system.  The greater the Risk the greater the reward.  Death should have consequences.  Items and Gold should drop on Death, and you should lose XP and Stats.  Similar to AC's system.
    9. ZERO PvP.  I want to see someone with the Balls to develop a game that tells the most polarizing and elitist group of players (IMO) Our game is not for you.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    edited October 2015
    Dauzqul said:
    At least two major factions in conflict - a kill on sight type Open World PvP. I want the feeling of being in a world so big that distant places really feel distant. I want to be able to sneak across enemy lines to gank a few opposing noobs, but careful enough to where protective guards wont see / 1-shot me.

And people will wonder why I included number 9 in my bullet point comments above.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I want to be heavily immersed in a believable low fantasy world. I want huge landscapes. I want a rain or snow storm to be dangerous. 

I want deep and varied game systems that don't involve combat necessarily. I want steep consequences for all decisions.

I want lengthy and complex projects that rely on others in some way.

I want to be able to mark some permanent area of the landscape as mine.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I just want a real MMORPG.
    Before when i hear about MMORPG , i think about open world and a lots people play together .
    Now when i hear about MMORPG , i think about quest hub , instances , and arena PVP .
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Something f antasy, where I could just relax after day's work: do some quests solo, kill some boss solo, craft weapons/jewellery, interact with other players.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    azzamasin said:

I want a new Asheron's Call experience.  In other words I want:

1. A HUGE World
    2. Non-Linear Questing
    3. Exploration Centric with thousands of Dungeons to explore
    4. Skill based Classless system with emphasis on Hybridization over pure archetypes
    5. A loot based, ARPG styled tiered item system
    6. Non-Gold/Currency based economy where Items and Special Vendor Recipe systems act as currency similar to early AC's Motes which were used to buy Shadow Armor.  Or similar to Path of Exile's Currency Drop
    7. Leveling speed between levels fairly fast but Leveling to cap is extremely challenging and long.  At least 6 months to a Year for the most dedicated.
    8. Risk vs. Reward system.  The greater the Risk the greater the reward.  Death should have consequences.  Items and Gold should drop on Death, and you should lose XP and Stats.  Similar to AC's system.
    9. ZERO PvP.  I want to see someone with the Balls to develop a game that tells the most polarizing and elitist group of players (IMO) Our game is not for you.
    Yes, yes, yes... and double triple yes.  =)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    edited October 2015
    I want character driven, collective (not quest driven) storytelling and a deep, immersive roleplaying experience that makes me feel like I am logging on to another universe.  I want a place that I can live in and a place where I'd find more things to do not fighting than fighting.  I want to be in a game where it seems more natural to speak and act like your character than to speak and act like the person playing it.

In short, I want a place where I can log in, spend thirty minutes doing nothing but observing the game around me, log off, and never think I was wasting my time.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    The ideal MMORPG is all text. That gives the one or two people working on it more time to focus on the game.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    edited October 2015
    You should check out http://chroniclesofelyria.com/   Register for the forums and join the community! Its very active and the developers are awesome!  If you would like you can use my friend code E9B1C9 when you register! I feel this game fits most of what youre looking for! We are very excited!
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Hi, you guys really, really need to check out Chronicles of Elyria it is an awesome upcomming MMO!

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog <-- the latest Dev journal will be added soon to that list.

It really is groundbreaking if I am to be honest. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • AlzuuleAlzuule Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited October 2015
    CoE is shaping up to be the most innovative MMO of the decade. https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog 

Edit: aaand 2 people already posted it already, guess im too slow.
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I want a smaller tight knit community. A game that each server is its own private server. No cross server stuff. A game where you actually get to know the other people you see on a daily bases because ya play around the same time and just happen to run by each other In the open world.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    What every player wants in the end is happiness? That mystical place we arrive at after we accomplished something. Sadly, this doesn't exist inside the game but it might exist inside your own brain. Every player wants something unique and tailored to how they like to play. That's why we all go from game to game searching. Wandering in the binary universe looking for a game that meets all our expectations. That empty feeling we get after trying a game and realizing that it's not what you wanted. Afterwards you go to forums like this one and express your feelings, because you have something poignant to say that will absolutely change how all of us look at things. Then back on the searching saddle looking again and again, and only to find another game that bores you.

So what game can bring us happiness? Well I have no answers for any of you. If you look deep enough inside yourself I would imagine you could find the missing elements of happiness you yearn for.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I want a huge world where the devs continually make things happen as opposed to a patch every 6-12 months that changes things, so that if I play today and visit somewhere, it could be different in some way tomorrow i.e. the devs work the NPCs into the world and they do things that the devs want them to.

I want to do what I want to do in the world as opposed to chase quests on a pre-determined set of paths.  Take away character levelling and experience and replace it with skills and abilities that you can improve during the game.  The more I fire my gun, the better I get at it, and each upgrade takes me down a peg or two because I need to learn it over again, even if it does more damage, eventually.

I want to have to work with other players, to interact with and communicate with them to achieve certain things - don't allow an MMO to be too solo. Don't alow players to be the best without co-operation.

I want to make my own adventure and not follow a story path.  Sure, there can be micro stories embedded within that occur either by my actions or a dev driven event, but take away a structure path that would get repeated with every alt - an alt should mean a new experience to a degree.  And damn, I'll pay a sub and expect them to dedicate the effort to give a living breathing world.

I want every character to be able to hold and use every weapon - to a lesser or greater degree, but at least pick it up and do something with it.

I don't want portals, fast travel or the ability to make the world smaller, I want to travel place to place and absorb everything on the way (which there should be lots and tomorrow, something different) - shouldn't be hard as events and NPCs, occurrences could be randomized or linked to triggers in the game.

I want the game to be unpredictable - I don't want a wiki to tell me everything there is to know - or a guide - I want to be able to find things out for myself and the game to be so 'living' and dynamic that a wiki would be out of date really fast.

I want them to get rid of the term 'end game' and take limits off gear stats and things you aspire to.  Make it achievement based or points based but don't make me run a dungeon 100 times to get a drop just because the devs have stopped messing around with the game enough to give me other things to do.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    I am one of those people who wants to log in to a virtual world not just a game and have some compelling reason to log in every day which goes beyond carrot on a stick mechanics.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    -  Attributes and Skills rather than classes or levels
    -  Build Point reward system where using skills and performing certain acts will award points that can be used to continue to develop your character.  Something like GURPS or Shadowrun's Karma system.
    -  Deep and realistic stealth system
    -  Extremely large seamless world
    -  Low Fantasy (Humans are only sentient race)
    -  Vastly different human cultures that aren't stereotyped.  i.e. No "evil" or "warlike" or "tree hugger" cultures.  Every culture has good people, bad people, warriors, peacemakers, tree huggers.. ect.
    -  Large difference in Prey vs. Predator animals.  I don't want to be fighting something every ten feet I walk.
    -  No direct damage magic.  Magic is illusory, buffs/debuffs, healing... not fireballs and lightening strikes.
    -  Deep crafting system with 100% player run economy.
    -  Gear that wears out and can never be fully repaired.
    -  No instanced raids, just powerful monsters that spawn randomly and require groups of players to kill.
    -  Monsters do not drop loot, they drop common, uncommon, rare and exceptional crafting materials of a quantity that makes sense.  i.e.  You don't have to kill 20 foxes to get a fox tail, cause they all have f*#%ing tails.
    - A stratified currency system with exchange rates.  Not just gold everywhere you go.
    - A deep law and order system.  If you kill another player in a city, then you will be apprehended and subject to that cities laws.. including execution.
    - A mystical and magical order of "constables" that can forsee murder and teleport to the location of the murderer in order to apprehend them.  These constables are located in cities and their ability to forsee murder diminishes the further away the murder takes place from civilization.  Response times also vary by distance.
    - The most powerful monsters and most valuable crafting resources lie very deep in the untamed wildernesses.
    -  Fully craftable and customizable player housing/forts/castles that can be constructed anywhere within civilization with a permit from the local authorities or anywhere at all in the untamed wilderness.  This will require the architecture skill to design and dozens of crafting skills to build.  Don't expect to take your warrior princess into the jungle and build the pyramid of giza.

Now I just need to get this thing crowdfunded.
  • CrimsonSixCrimsonSix Member UncommonPosts: 42
    A game that's you can only play as an MMO. No solo ques, no LFR, no welfware epics, no ez mode difficulty.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    To know something most other players do not, or have abilities most players do not. 

To log in post up a o/ in guild chat and get some warm welcomes back.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Ideal - basically The Matrix - just like in the movie.

Hey you said ideal... 

What about the woman in the red dress?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"