Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen | Death of a Salesman | MMORPG

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited October 2015
    Ginaz said:
    Distopia said:
    Ginaz said:
    So...how's that legal action against The Escapist going?  What?  There has been no legal action?  But Chris Roberts said that the deadline for The Escapist retracting their article and apologizing was last Monday!!!  Surely he wasn't just bluffing.  Was he?
    Silence basically says one of two things, most were right and it was just a bluff, or both sides have taken the mature route to handling a legal matter, private.
    I doubt they've settled because The Escapist hasn't backed away from their original article and responded to the threats with an update to the story.  It's what a lot of people thought it was, a bluff.  I highly doubt Roberts wants any of this played out in a courtroom because he would most likely be forced to open the books and reveal the true state of his company.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo
    I agree, I doubt it's going any where, I don't think it was ever a real plan, as I said above. I could think of a number of reasons they wouldn't want to go to court. The books being somewhere near the bottom (as that's only an issue under one circumstance, IE they're guilty of the allegations). I'd be concerned about getting tied up in any form of litigation when I have 90mil of peoples money and need to deliver something with it. Even in a situation where I'd win that litigation. It would take a lot of focus away from the work, that needs to be done.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Distopia said:

Any legal filing is a matter of public record.  Now if there's a settlement, that would be in private.
    Sure, but most don't air their dirty laundry to the public before hand willingly. IF they're moving forward they're doing so quietly was all I was saying. Moving forward doesn't have to be today, could be next friday :).

Though I doubt they will, seemed like posturing in the first place.I think if they had any plans from the start they'd have been a lot more calculated in how they delivered their rebuttal/warning...The strong words were most likely just emotional reaction, "taking the bully pulpit" Hoping to find weakness in The Escapist's position.
    Situations like this can be a form of a SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) lawsuit.  Companies have used them quite frequently when trying to suppress and silence critics. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Brenics said:
    Why should he make a finished product when he is pulling in millions by selling pixels that aren't even made yet. The guy has the most awesome scam going and now his brother is taking over to fill his pockets and cover up what CR has been doing. 
    In an odd way it's an extension of the founders pack principle.  Games over the last 10 years have received by far their most hype before release.  Therefore the best time to monetize a game is before release when peoples imagination of what the game could be has not yet been tempered by the reality of what the game is.

But what if you could just extend that period indefinitely while selling what is essentially more and more expensive founders packs? 

It's perhaps the most brilliant marketing in the history of MMOs.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i'm finding all these articles and even this forum's posts about star citizen hard to read. no i mean, seriously its hard to get the point cuz it seems like ppl are beating around the bush.  normally ppl on this site are wicked blunt hahah.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    time007 said:
    i'm finding all these articles and even this forum's posts about star citizen hard to read. no i mean, seriously its hard to get the point cuz it seems like ppl are beating around the bush.  normally ppl on this site are wicked blunt hahah.  
    Sturm Brightbla...erm Time007 has a point. 

It sometimes feels like Cunningham's Law with some here. :P

J/K  I like the read
    reeereee said:
    Brenics said:
    Why should he make a finished product when he is pulling in millions by selling pixels that aren't even made yet. The guy has the most awesome scam going and now his brother is taking over to fill his pockets and cover up what CR has been doing. 
    In an odd way it's an extension of the founders pack principle.  Games over the last 10 years have received by far their most hype before release.  Therefore the best time to monetize a game is before release when peoples imagination of what the game could be has not yet been tempered by the reality of what the game is.

But what if you could just extend that period indefinitely while selling what is essentially more and more expensive founders packs? 

It's perhaps the most brilliant marketing in the history of MMOs.
    But it possibly would be a very obvious public scam with well known names attached, where is the end game in that?

This topic needs to get some kind of focus TBH, one second they're on the verge of crashing (out of funds) and can't make the game, the next they're masterminds making off with millions. From here on out lets just spitball and say in the end it looks like Chris Roberts is none other than Dick Dastardly. A pompous buffoon who's own maniacal schemes are usually his own downfall. 

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Should have replaced the first bit of this(and other bits) with "I have a bias but i don't want you to think i do." You refer to derek smart,who cant conceive of getting a game to work in 5 years much less do it himself, as not telling the truth but also leave out that he may be lying. Derek smart lie...perish the thought. as of october of this being written Star citizen has been in development(officially) since 2012. That is 3/Three years. For the scope of what this game is to be and the vision of the single man who has been the focus of it i would give it another year or two before i started throwing rants out liek candy of the season(halloween). If come mid-2016 and things are not much improved i will then not only look to see posts liek this i may even encourage them. Til then....practice that unobjective unbias you have seemed to have misplaced.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Should have replaced the first bit of this(and other bits) with "I have a bias but i don't want you to think i do." You refer to derek smart,who cant conceive of getting a game to work in 5 years much less do it himself, as not telling the truth but also leave out that he may be lying. Derek smart lie...perish the thought. as of october of this being written Star citizen has been in development(officially) since 2012. That is 3/Three years. For the scope of what this game is to be and the vision of the single man who has been the focus of it i would give it another year or two before i started throwing rants out liek candy of the season(halloween). If come mid-2016 and things are not much improved i will then not only look to see posts liek this i may even encourage them. Til then....practice that unobjective unbias you have seemed to have misplaced.
    Roberts probably has a year, at most, to something that resembles what he's promised otherwise a lot of his backers will go all Lord of the Flies on him...and each other.

FWI Derek Smart is really of no consequence to this whole matter no how much anyone, esp. Derek Smart, may want you to believe.  It was only a matter of time before things started to go pear shaped.  The good Doctor, and nemesis of Coke machines everywhere, only hastened it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

edited October 2015
    perish the thought. as of october of this being written Star citizen has been in development(officially) since 2012. That is 3/Three years. For the scope of what this game is to be
    This is the most important aspect of this to me. Lets take one example FO4. They started work on it the year fallout 3 released. Basically Nov or Dec of 08. They just now started showing the game, they just now announced it, and they are releasing it this year. That is almost 7 years give or take a few months. That is with preexisting lore as well as essentially the architecture to draw from and create a narrative in. And it's a single-player game with one game-play focus.

Expecting something promising more than that within 3 years is a bit much. I'm just not sure why people would even remotely expect it to be in working order at this point.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Distopia said:
    perish the thought. as of october of this being written Star citizen has been in development(officially) since 2012. That is 3/Three years. For the scope of what this game is to be
    This is the most important aspect of this to me. Lets take one example FO4. They started work on it the year fallout 3 released. Basically Nov or Dec of 08. They just now started showing the game, they just now announced it, and they are releasing it this year. That is almost 7 years give or take a few months. That is with preexisting lore as well as essentially the architecture to draw from and create a narrative in. And it's a single-player game with once game-play focus.

Expecting something promising more than that within 3 years is a bit much. I'm just not sure why people would even remotely expect it to be in working order at this point.

Which kind of re-enforces the point about marketing something that long before you have something to show.  I'm not knocking it but the hype/train disappointment  cycle is hard enough to avoid with a 6mo 1 yr window.  Trying to keep it alive for 3 yrs is gonna feel like hearding cats after awhile.

BMBender said:
    Distopia said:
    This is the most important aspect of this to me. Lets take one example FO4. They started work on it the year fallout 3 released. Basically Nov or Dec of 08. They just now started showing the game, they just now announced it, and they are releasing it this year. That is almost 7 years give or take a few months. That is with preexisting lore as well as essentially the architecture to draw from and create a narrative in. And it's a single-player game with once game-play focus.

Which kind of re-enforces the point about marketing something that long before you have something to show.  I'm not knocking it but the hype/train disappointment  cycle is hard enough to avoid with a 6mo 1 yr window.  Trying to keep it alive for 3 yrs is gonna feel like hearding cats after awhile.
    Sure, problem is, no hype, no crowdfunding. Kind of a catch 22 there. You really can't have one without the other.

edited October 2015

Sure, problem is, no hype, no crowdfunding. Kind of a catch 22 there. You really can't have one without the other.
    again we go back to the original KS offer which has been beaten to death by this point but....

EDIT a developer cant really B & M about management of expectations issues when they are the ones who move goal posts around.

BMBender said:
    Distopia said:

again we go back to the original KS offer which has been beaten to death by this point but....
    We could keep going in circles until the verdict is in with buts and again(s) lol. Just saying with crowdfunding the whole marketing aspect is backwards. You do the marketing first, before you even have a product. A solitary point in all of this that really has naught to do with SC in general.

Distopia said:
    BMBender said:
    Distopia said:

We could keep going in circles until the verdict is in with buts and again(s) lol. Just saying with crowdfunding the whole marketing aspect is backwards. You do the marketing first, before you even have a product. A solitary point in all of this that really has naught to do with SC in general.

So they weren't overfunded with the original pitch and had to move to the 3+ yr plan to go forward.  K

BMBender said:
    Distopia said:
    BMBender said:
    Distopia said:

So they weren't overfunded with the original pitch and had to move to the 3+ yr plan to go forward.  K
    I have no idea how that went down TBH, I don't know how they handled it with their backers, I don't know how many were against it, nor do i know how many were for it... all I know is what I see in the back and forth that has happened in regard to it here. So rather than repeat something or present some form of conjecture I'll opt for an I do not know.

Distopia said:

I have no idea how that went down TBH, I don't know how they handled it with their backers, I don't know how many were against it, nor do i know how many were for it... all I know is what I see in the back and forth that has happened in regard to it here. So rather than repeat something or present some form of conjecture I'll opt for an I do not know.
    My only point really is if they are having issues with managing expectations, drama, general angst it is largely a self created problem.  That part of it I can't really generate a whole lot of sympathy for, nothing forced em down that path.

BMBender said:
    Distopia said:

My only point really is if they are having issues with managing expectations, drama, general angst it is largely a self created problem.  That part of it I can't really generate a whole lot of sympathy for, nothing forced em down that path.
    Nor do I, that's really for both sides TBH backer as well. Know who you're donating to, which by the looks of it, none of this is out of CR's character (at least the narrative of mismanagement, as well as biting of more than he could chew). That lack of compassion would also relate to the nature of game development, it's ever shifting, and unpredictable. Know what you're donating toward as well.

I'm no expert on the subject yet I'd wager those two things are considered to be investment 101.

• 12xspeed12xspeed Member CommonPosts: 1
    This is a a well written piece,  I also belive there is a my way or the high way at SC but I also belive that rather then fight CR at every turn his staff should push to succeed instead of wanting to do it another way cause it's easier, I don't want this game to fail I want it to push every new boundary out there as I belive if CR is successful SC will be the best Space game out there and lead the gaming industry in bringing us the gamers of this world want we truly want and deserve,  I don't have a lot of experience with other games but what about batman it was that bad they took it off sale, look at all the trouble with staff at metal gear V , when Elite Dangerous released patch 1.3 it was nothing but bugs for months and they give the xbox players first go at there fighting bit before there orginal backers on PC. My point is where ever you look you can always find something wrong something changing, but here we have someone trying to give us a game that's never been attempted before and sure it's not running smoothly but show me a game of this magnitude that as, instead of Trying to ruin SC let's all try and back CR and his team let's take the pressures off and help him delivery, because if they get to deliver CR's dream it will be the best game ever IMHO. 
    12xspeed
  • PieMonsterPieMonster Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Shodanas said:
    Proper journalism dictates that one should check with all sides involved in the issue he investigates. It's a Cardinal Rule for obvious reasons. Escapist chose not to follow this basic rule because as i wrote earlier sometimes facts and details spoil a good story.

So sending the claims to CR prior to publication, offering time for rebuttal and then including said rebuttal in the article somehow does not suffice?
    The least you could do is read the article instead of making things up.
    They gave him 24 hours mate. Then only added his comments once the shite had hit the fan. 261 employees and only 9 (they say) are moaning. Damn thats a good HR record tbh. Check the moaner % on the web at the moment. And they havent even seen the game for the most part, let alone have any evidence to back their claims. For gods sake let CR at least have a GO at making this game. To do otherwise makes Smart and all the other naysayers a self fulfilling prophecy. The funds are committed. The wheel is spinning. Let the ball fall where it may now.. At least then there is a chance of a positive outcome.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited October 2015
    They gave him 24 hours mate. Then only added his comments once the shite had hit the fan. 261 employees and only 9 (they say) are moaning. Damn thats a good HR record tbh. Check the moaner % on the web at the moment. And they havent even seen the game for the most part, let alone have any evidence to back their claims. For gods sake let CR at least have a GO at making this game. To do otherwise makes Smart and all the other naysayers a self fulfilling prophecy. The funds are committed. The wheel is spinning. Let the ball fall where it may now.. At least then there is a chance of a positive outcome.

It's still 24 hours and they're not obligated to do so. Otherwise I don't disagree with what you're saying, I'm just not a fan of people trying to play the narrative. They did A, B and C and yes, mistakes were made but that doesn't make what was said irrelevant despite what some people want to claim.
    Anyway, it's down to Roberts now to put everybody's money where his mouth is.

• CometerCometer Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I've following this issue and there is one thing I don't quite understand. Articles like this always seem to be onesided and dismiss the other side arguments. Consider this. If things are that bad, then why other CIG developers support CR? They've been doing interviews and sharing their opinion regarding the issue. They've posted comments on the website. Check the Thomas Hennessy interview for instance. http://imperialnews.network/2015/10/innside-cig-thomas-hennessy/ And one other thing. Why the focus on Sandi when she has literally no involvement in the development side? She is head of marketing and if anything, the people under her management are consumer service people. I never saw her involved in the development side. Based on what we know, she doesn't take part of any dev meetings All those other areas are under other people management. I don't get it. Please, I'm not defending CIG. Just stating that I think there are valid arguments in both sides. And due to this, in the end of the day you shouldn't believe one is right or wrong without evidence to back it up. Up until now what we have are opinions. Thing is, we really don't know. Imagine that you're working at CIG and you and everyone around you is unhappy. Why do you stay? It seems that we forget that CIG has more than 200 people working on the project and for some reason, most decide stay. And why did they decide to open a new studio this year if money is such a big issue? Red Thomas has shared his opinion. But I see a problem in it. He claims Mayberry left because he was unhappy. So, have you talked with him? Can we get some actual evidence please? The way I see it, right now we have CIG workers sharing their opinion in a non anonymous way. And we have sources stating the contrary.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    SBFord said:
    imageStar Citizen | Death of a Salesman | MMORPG

The drama surrounding Star Citizen continues and spins even more wildly as cease and desist letters fly. Red Thomas breaks a long hiatus from writing about the game to chime in.

Read the full story here

See always said that MMORPG.COM was full of trolls, this includes the writers as well..

Give it a rest already....  This forum makes me sick, and I see why alot of people are not coming here as much, I will do the same if you people keep this up...  SBFord, grow  up...
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited October 2015
    H0urg1ass said:
    ... and sometimes several astronauts burn to death on the launch pad.  Just because they're "pushing out boundaries" does not mean they'll be successful.
    @H0urg1ass

"If we die, we want people to accept it. We are in a risky business and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."
    — Grissom, after his Gemini mission, March 1965

Those three astronauts (Virgil Grissom, Edward White, Roger Chaffee) WERE successful - it does not matter that it was not their own feet on the Moon but that of Neil Armstrong.  They were ready and willing  to pay any price necessary to make something work that is greater than themselves.

Have fun

SBFord said:
    Star Citizen | Death of a Salesman | MMORPG

The drama surrounding Star Citizen continues and spins even more wildly as cease and desist letters fly. Red Thomas breaks a long hiatus from writing about the game to chime in.

Read the full story here

See always said that MMORPG.COM was full of trolls, this includes the writers as well..

Give it a rest already....  This forum makes me sick, and I see why alot of people are not coming here as much, I will do the same if you people keep this up...  SBFord, grow  up...
    Rofl at least place the blame on the actual writer, which his name is right there in what you quoted. " Red Thomas breaks a long hiatus from writing about the game to chime in."

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    I'd always thought Red wrote well, but was too busy swallowing the koolaid where Star Citizen was concerned.   But this piece is pretty to the point.   And his points are pretty salient.   Though Chris would never, ever step down, his massive ego is too tightly bound to this.   I doubt he could stand it.  

The real sad thing is that these problems are the same sorts of things he had trouble with in his Origin days.   IE, Roberts hasn't learned a thing.   Probably also the same sort of mindset that left Digital Anvil in such disarray after four years of work, with not a single thing produced.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.