Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So.....Wildstar has just taken the crown for the worst Launch in mmo history?

Comments

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Distopia said:
    Thourne said:

When someone claims something is the worst "Ever" there is nothing wrong with educating them with the truth.
    Regardless of if you or others are tired of hearing it, no one has come close to beating the launch of AO, and this is coming from someone who has carried multiple year subs to AO and still views it as their favorite mmorpg of all times.
    I get that, I really do, the point I'm making though is that AO's launch was a first try, with all new tech, a different situation.

It comes down to degree of mistakes made in the sense of worst, does it not? While AO was a catastrophe, it comes down to:
    A: a much smaller scale project, not nearly as many people experienced it.
    B: MMORPG devs didn't have the years of experience in delivering launches, or in this case relaunches... they do now..

That creates a different situation IMO.

Like I said earlier though.. in this case, I have no idea how bad it is.

Point A: In reference to it's point in history, AO was at least as big a launch, again for the environment at the time.
    No issue with point B. 

It is indeed a different day and this launch could likely have been better prepared for.

I just don't think hyperbole gets us anywhere and had to call it like I saw it :)

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited October 2015
    ArcheAge had a pretty crappy launch too. If you had a job, you could pretty much consider the game unplayable due to queue times, and they had a lot of trouble with missing items and some of their founders not even being able to make it into game (and as a result losing out on the chance to buy a plot of land).

And there are plenty of other examples in the thread already. It's a simple fact that MMOs often have poor starts. You'd be better off tempering your impatience and playing a week after launch, which is pretty much what I do these days.

It's not like you need to worry about being competitive or something anyway, the game's been live for a year or something.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Anarchy Online had the worst, the thing was totally UN-playable just simply did-not-work. And they knew it before hand as the beta testers had told them it was far from ready, but as always the money-men had the say. Corporatism is bad mmkay.
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Does it really matter? How many bad launches have we seen? Plenty. Does it make the game bad? No. The problems will be addressed like they always do and you will have a game you like, or dislike. Either way, the launch problems are irrelevant.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    rush1984 said:
    not sure what ao is, you mean aoc? cos that was pretty bad but not as bad as this one

Ao is Anarchy online mate, the legendary worst launch ever.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Really? I've had little trouble outside of the long queue to get on. Granted, I haven't been playing that much, the fact the only issue I've seen in a queue it seems no where near as bad as other MMo experiences I've seen, WoD's launch was far worst then Wildstar F2P, and I've seen worst ones then that.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Hah! Not even freaking close cupcake!

I guess you haven't actually seen very many launches if you think this is the worst ever. Heck, I doubt this even made it into the top ten. It's dangerous to name any of those others, because even now it will start a QQ storm of whining over how awful [gameX] or [gameY] pooched their launch. Wildstar is just in the annoyance bracket. Even the 1.5 hour queue time is much shorter than several of them which exceeded 3 or 4 hours. One of them was around a 5 hour queue, but when you'd been waiting for 4 hours it disconnected you for non-activity. That's just one minor example, so cheer up, it could easily be a whole lot worse, like when a certain game finally logged you in, you loaded dead, and your corpse had already decayed.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Thane said:
    rush1984 said:
    3 days on and its still unplayable , ive had my share of bad launches but nothing like this.
    with every patch they make things worst if you get past one hurdle another one pops up /facepalm

its got to the point where i find it hilarious now and sad at the same time as no doubt this will lose carbine alot of potential players
    too bad really they should have better prepared its not like the game wasnt released already 2 years ago..
    i wonder if  its something more sinister like an hardware fault on their end.

i think this is a contender for the worst launch in past decade and its still ungoing so it could get much worst before it gets better lol ...so sad :9

you did't play on alot of mmos launches yet, did you?
    this is a normal mmo start. actually, i have seen worse, way worse.

your precious primus for example had 30 minutes lag on day one.

it's not about the game or the netcode, it's about technology.
    Thane said:
    rush1984 said:
    3 days on and its still unplayable , ive had my share of bad launches but nothing like this.
    with every patch they make things worst if you get past one hurdle another one pops up /facepalm

its got to the point where i find it hilarious now and sad at the same time as no doubt this will lose carbine alot of potential players
    too bad really they should have better prepared its not like the game wasnt released already 2 years ago..

i think this is a contender for the worst launch in past decade and its still ungoing so it could get much worst before it gets better lol ...so sad :9

but this isnt really a true launch this game is 2 years old not including the original betas
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371

barasawa said:
    Hah! Not even freaking close cupcake!

I guess you haven't actually seen very many launches if you think this is the worst ever. Heck, I doubt this even made it into the top ten. It's dangerous to name any of those others, because even now it will start a QQ storm of whining over how awful [gameX] or [gameY] pooched their launch. Wildstar is just in the annoyance bracket. Even the 1.5 hour queue time is much shorter than several of them which exceeded 3 or 4 hours. One of them was around a 5 hour queue, but when you'd been waiting for 4 hours it disconnected you for non-activity. That's just one minor example, so cheer up, it could easily be a whole lot worse, like when a certain game finally logged you in, you loaded dead, and your corpse had already decayed.
    im eu , eu is worst than na
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Dark & Light  op.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    ESO was the worst one for me.  During the first week most people were have launcher problems and couldn't even get in the game due to the error messages.  Some people were accidentally logged into other players accounts after they logged in, somehow.  Major dupping problems and massive bot problems farming resources underneath the ground, right off the bat.  And a lot of crashing to desktop in general.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• bone15bone15 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    rush1984 said:
    Thane said:
    rush1984 said:

Thane said:
    rush1984 said:

but this isnt really a true launch this game is 2 years old not including the original betas
    no one really include beta or alpha. and yes wildstar is nearly 2 years old. and they improved alot. just look at the game now and back then. sure it has it problems but every game does
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited October 2015
    Anarchy Online still holds the title.  It was truly horrendous.  Just search on google and you'll see.  Runner-ups would be WoW and Vanguard.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited October 2015
    Ah these crazy kids and "worse launch ever" statements.

3 days is NOTHING compared to launches like Anarchy Online. Vanguard, as another mentioned, was basically launching a game that was a year early and didn't work at all.

Wildstar works ... the authentication and server load isn't.

You stay sassy!

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Dark & Light  op.
    Forgot that one. I'd say that takes the crown.
    Ikonis said:
    Dark & Light  op.
    Forgot that one. I'd say that takes the crown.
    Oh that one is high top ten list for sure but probably top 5 hehe.
    Still behind AO and Vanguard though at the minimum.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited October 2015
    ESO was the worst one for me.  During the first week most people were have launcher problems and couldn't even get in the game due to the error messages.  
    That's absolutely false. The servers were 95% up during the 1st week. There were no problems with either Lag or Crashes. Besides I even had a pretty terrible PC at that time, yet FPS was impressive. The ones that couldn't get in had proven problems with Firewall or Router. Nothing on the ZOS side, however their custumer support helped anyway step by step.

Some people were accidentally logged into other players accounts after they logged in, somehow.  

Blatant lie. That never happened.

Major dupping problems and massive bot problems farming resources underneath the ground, right off the bat.  And a lot of crashing to desktop in general.

Those dupping problems got fixed in a week, most players never got affected, and the economy remained stable. Bots were removed from ESO in the 1st month too, and since then they are yet to be seen.

As far as I'm concerned ESO had the best Launch I've taken a part in. And that's saying a lot because I was there for pretty much every mainstream MMO launch in the past 15 years. 

The only thing which was pretty bad, were the phasing quests bugs (Though most of them just needed relogging in again). It's funny you didn't even mention that, which is why your post has no credibility at all.

josko9 said:

Some people were accidentally logged into other players accounts after they logged in, somehow.  

Sorry chief you are completely in the wrong.
    It did happen.
    I wasn't just there for it, I actually logged into someone elses account and promptly ticketed it.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    I still think FFXIV was worse since it went on longer (from early access thru release) and people were paying for it.  FFXIV was also rough in the late beta stages and rather than deal with it they plowed on with early/release.  Big difference between paying customers not getting service and failing to get something that's free, even if blowing a free launch could still hurt your customer base and perception.

FFXIV was a nightmare for all.  I didn't play AO until way after launch so I couldn't say for that one.  I didn't play EQ2 at launch either but I think that one was pretty messy too and had all kinds of tech problems due to unrealistic system reqs.

I guess people's experiences vary.  I played WoW in beta and at launch and didn't really have extensive problems.  I also give bliz more benefit of the doubt because up to that point you measured MMORPG subs in the 100 thousands and I don't think they could've predicted how insanely popular that game was going to be and be at launch.  It's understandable that they didn't have the hardware and infrastructure for multiple millions of players based on MMORPG sub history to that point.  It was also 10+ years ago and bliz' first MMORPG.

Nobody is ever going to match WoW's sub numbers but you still regularly see new MMORPGs release with million+ players before they fade into oblivion due to ultimately being crappy single player ez mode routine trash.  So it shouldn't be a surprise to any company when their launch is congested.

I'm far less forgiving with MMORPG companies now when they should know better, especially when it's companies that have experience.

Ex, WildStar is not a new game.  Their server tech has been around for over a year.  They should know how to operate and scale their friggin servers by now.  NCSoft is also no rookie.  So to me, on top of this being a disaster, it's a less excusable disaster since they should have the experience and expertise to avoid this kind of fiasco.

I'm really tired of seeing posts about how this is just normal for MMORPGs and how it's ok because it's a new release - no, it's not ok, the norm needs to change, and no, this isn't a new game.  They didn't rewrite their core engine or change how their server tech works.

Still, I see little point in complaining about something that's free - you get what you pay for.

For those who are still or who started paying for WildStar, I'd say they have something to be upset about and I'd imagine Carbine will compensate them for this hassle.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Too bad for the rocky launch...

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Thourne said:
    josko9 said:

Sorry chief you are completely in the wrong.
    It did happen.
    I wasn't just there for it, I actually logged into someone elses account and promptly ticketed it.
    I might be wrong as it never happened to me or to anyone that I know of.

But the fact is that I've been reading the official forums every single day whenever I didn't have the time to play, and I don't recall of any topic about "Logging into another player's account". 

I've tried searching it now too, and didn't come up with anything, which is kinda impossible as that would be a pretty big problem don't you think? Well if you find it and prove me wrong I'll bite my tongue.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Silly MMO newbies. Most think Destiny is an MMO, and they have no idea how bad some launches have been in the past lol....

Why cry anyway? Its a big undertaking. And its free to you. And if it did cost money, they give away free days/gifts to compensate. Its industry norm. 
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    EU mmo humpers, as soon as a new f2p comes to market they jump in with numbers, even shut down the servers with force, 2 months later, they also leave in numbers for the next f2p. EU...pfftt....

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Talking for EU the re-launch went far from smooth. But comparing it with a more recent (expansion) launch - and of course only speaking for my mates and me - until now we had more playable time than 3 days into WoD.

Also yes, there have been many worse launches in MMO history. :D

Misato - TankDoc for Life
    josko9 said:
    Thourne said:
    josko9 said:

I've tried searching it now too, and didn't come up with anything, which is kinda impossible as that would be a pretty big problem don't you think? Well if you find it and prove me wrong I'll bite my tongue.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/130955/my-account-has-been-hacked-solved

was the first thread I came across discussing it. 
    Not worth the time to dig for more but something you can look at.