Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes!

Comments

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:

This is why people are tired of hearing his name.

People keep forgetting that Derek Smart has made games before, so all these progress videos chris does do you not think he might of noticed they hadn't made of much of a progress as they should of done.

Plus i don't care how rubbish his games are, i haven't played them and that will just be another attack him and a lame response.
    That's the thing though DS wouldn't know what it takes to create such a game...All that sounds like is I can't do it, so no one can, so yes his skill and experience (his games) are relevant if you want to go down the road of arguing such a point.
    People are tired of hearing about him, so the 1st thing you do is bring him up.
    ...yah
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well to be fair... the Robert´s have made games before too... And adding to this that DS games are... well... *bleeeeeep* from my very subjective standpoint. 

This have been a good conversation

Thourne said:
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:

People keep forgetting that Derek Smart has made games before, so all these progress videos chris does do you not think he might of noticed they hadn't made of much of a progress as they should of done.

Plus i don't care how rubbish his games are, i haven't played them and that will just be another attack him and a lame response.
    That's the thing though DS wouldn't know what it takes to create such a game...All that sounds like is I can't do it, so no one can, so yes his skill and experience (his games) are relevant if you want to go down the road of arguing such a point.
    ...yah
    Not directed at you Distpoia, bad quote on my part.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:

I don't know his games i only saw something in a different thread about a game called line of defense.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:
    Yes he has a good lawyer and reading what was written there the stalking as a criminal proceedings seems baseless.
    This was the letter DS's lawyer was responding to where Freyermuth threatens to "... pursue all  civil and criminal remedies..."

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4497650/15-09-30_Cease_Desist_Letter_from_RSI.pdf

Freyermuth just seems totally outclassed. Bluster and threats seems to be all he can come up with in this letter and his letter to The Escapist.
    Well to be fair...Freyermuth's position wasn't just coming from a position of legalese. He's a player in all of this just as any other person that is a part of SC, CIG/SC goes down, he goes down. OF course he's going to use heated rhetoric, it's personal for him. DS's lawyer is simply being a lawyer.

I'm quite confounded actually on why folks feel CIG shouldn't respond in the manner they have. But that's the way it always goes, the accused are always the only side expected to act "professionally".
    The letter was a demand letter and he referred in it to his clients. I guess he gets confused sometimes which hat he's wearing? That's probably it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Thourne said:
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:

...yah
    IE read: "people are sick of Derek being questioned" yet those same people can use his statements unquestioned all they want.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Iselin said:
    jcrg99 said:
    Oh man ... I just tried to read this but that windbag is so off-putting.  I suppose I'll try again after I've digested more of my lunch.

It's challenging to try and wade through all the bluster and self-righteous indignation coming from someone who's been caught multiple times spreading lies to all corners of the internet.  I have to wonder if Chris Roberts has considered pulling the plug himself just so he doesn't have to deal with this jackass.
    Got to disagree with you there. It's actually an easy read. Whatver other nasty things we might say about DS and his games, he's not a bad writer... and his lawyer is an even better one:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4497650/15-10-02_Response_To_RSI_Cease_Desist.pdf

I guess nobody told this lawyer that crowdfunding pledges aren't "investments" they're donations.  And who the hell does he think Derek Smart is anyway?  Why should CIG acquiesce to anything he demands especially after they refunded his money?  It's moronic to suggest that Derek Smart is entitled to anything from CIG.  He should have left them alone after getting his refund.  The lawyer talks about Derek Smart like he works for some government regulatory agency or something and that CIG should just give him everything he's asking for.  Completely ridiculous.
    Legally that is not entirely true. If it can be shown that the funds where misappropriated then this will be handled like with any other investment no matter where the funds came from and someone is going to jail.

A valid example would be charity donations. They are not investments but shit is hitting the fan big time if they were not used for what was initially promised. The same principle applies here.

There is really no need to discuss this because most of us don't know the law to the extend these lawyers do.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Distopia said:
    Thourne said:
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:

...yah
    IE read: "people are sick of Derek being questioned" yet those same people can use his statements unquestioned all they want.
    That really is how it comes off.
    Almost as annoying as "Pardon me while I make a comment on a topic I plead ignorance on as a defense."
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:
    Yes he has a good lawyer and reading what was written there the stalking as a criminal proceedings seems baseless.
    This was the letter DS's lawyer was responding to where Freyermuth threatens to "... pursue all  civil and criminal remedies..."

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4497650/15-09-30_Cease_Desist_Letter_from_RSI.pdf

Freyermuth just seems totally outclassed. Bluster and threats seems to be all he can come up with in this letter and his letter to The Escapist.
    Well to be fair...Freyermuth's position wasn't just coming from a position of legalese. He's a player in all of this just as any other person that is a part of SC, CIG/SC goes down, he goes down. OF course he's going to use heated rhetoric, it's personal for him. DS's lawyer is simply being a lawyer.

I'm quite confounded actually on why folks feel CIG shouldn't respond in the manner they have. But that's the way it always goes, the accused are always the only side expected to act "professionally".
    The letter was a demand letter and he referred in it to his clients. I guess he gets confused sometimes which hat he's wearing? That's probably it.
    My point was when it's personal, it's a lot easier to get caught up in emotions. The human side...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:

It's because these people are responsible not just for themselves, but for the face of the company. Writing a heated rant is ok for individuals because they are only representing themselves. But Chris Roberts is representing his company and his brand. He was incredibly unprofessional and I was personally shocked at his poorly written outburst. These things used to be more common, but people have smartened up quite a bit and no longer let their emotions get the better of them this publicly.

And the public's perception of this doesn't have to do with whether or not they were accused. Companies get accused of things all the time. The way they respond to accusations is important and they responded in not only an incredibly unprofessional way, but also and incredibly ineffective way. They now appear weak for no reason. They have done far more harm to themselves than anyone could hope to do to them and it has now become a spectacle.

One of the stranger quotes from the Freyermuth (and I'm paraphrasing) was that he normally doesn't release these things to the public. So why would he start now? They need to buckle down and be more responsible about this because right now it looks like amateur hour.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited October 2015
    Distopia said:
    Thourne said:
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:

...yah
    I didn't say people are tired of Derek Smart being questioned, just that people keep using him in their arguments to defend Chris Roberts.

There is a different thread with  his name all over it but i am staying out of that argument.

I just made a simple comment what may of happened.

Seems you was looking for an argument especially with saying this.

so yes his skill and experience (his games) are relevant if you want to go down the road of arguing such a point.

Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:

This is what makes these letters and him look even more stupid. He is a founder and Director which makes him a witness and plaintiff in this should they decide to take this to court. He should not write any letters at all and leave a independent law firm doing ti for the company.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I have one question. If you see something that is against the law and people are being taken for a ride and losing their money would you ignore it or bring it to the forefront? 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Brenics said:
    I have one question. If you see something that is against the law and people are being taken for a ride and losing their money would you ignore it or bring it to the forefront? 

I don't know, I know what I'd like to answer but I've never experienced it so it's a hypothetical.  We all like to be the hero in our personal narratives.

Brenics said:
    No i would laugh my arse off and then make a cup of tea. 

Thing is... Being on the floor... It is usually a very limited FoV and mix anger and frustration in to that and you have a fairly potent mix of discontent... That leads to fabrication to fit narrative... that leads to... Well... *gestures at thread title*

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    tawess said:
    Well to be fair... the Robert´s have made games before too...
    ... when he was under the supervision of Richard Garriott. Those were top notch games.

The endeavours that he runs himself though (Freelancer and Starlancer) the project management weren't nearly as well managed and were overtime, even though the quality is still good.

IMO from his past history he seems to be good with the creative and quality side but seems to have issues with project management.

It's because these people are responsible not just for themselves, but for the face of the company. Writing a heated rant is ok for individuals because they are only representing themselves. But Chris Roberts is representing his company and his brand. He was incredibly unprofessional and I was personally shocked at his poorly written outburst. These things used to be more common, but people have smartened up quite a bit and no longer let their emotions get the better of them this publicly.

And the public's perception of this doesn't have to do with whether or not they were accused. Companies get accused of things all the time. The way they respond to accusations is important and they responded in not only an incredibly unprofessional way, but also and incredibly ineffective way. They now appear weak for no reason. They have done far more harm to themselves than anyone could hope to do to them and it has now become a spectacle.

One of the stranger quotes from the Freyermuth (and I'm paraphrasing) was that he normally doesn't release these things to the public. So why would he start now? They need to buckle down and be more responsible about this because right now it looks like amateur hour.
    Hence my last reply, no matter what, we're talking about people, people do stupid things when they let emotion do the talking. We're talking serious accusations here, that could easily strike a nerve. I mean... Racism, unethical treatment, embezzlement, etc.. These things can bring a whole organization down individually, that goes for companies with a strong foundation, we're talking a crowdfunded start up here. With multiple crimes hanging over their head from an article, that is not proof of any of it.

That's where the one sided professionalism comes into play, there are many ways you could look at the article as being unprofessional, as well as DS's behavior in all of this. Yet just one side is expected to "play nice".

The media is never about professionalism, it's about the scoop and circulation, truth be damned, proof be damned, yet they're the good guys in this haha. Sorry that's just ironic to me. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    cheyane said:

My point was when it's personal, it's a lot easier to get caught up in emotions. The human side...
    Yes it is. Smedley would be a good recent example of that. I guess there can be a positive view of atypical CEOs when they show their emotions. But then there is the opposite point of view as well that expects more professionalism.

IMO, CIG is not handling this well. No one is taking their threats seriously. If they wanted to be taken seriously, they'd be using their own outside legal counsel.

Did you see the Popehat article I linked many pages back? Ken White said it all pretty well when he referred to Freyermuth's 5 page letter to The Escapist as a "my brother will beat you up" equivalent:

https://popehat.com/2015/10/04/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-threaten-lawsuits/

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

tawess said:
    Well to be fair... the Robert´s have made games before too...
    ... when he was under the supervision of Richard Garriott. Those were top notch games.

The endeavours that he runs himself though (Freelancer and Starlancer) the project management weren't nearly as well managed and were overtime, even though the quality is still good.

IMO from his past history he seems to be good with the creative and quality side but seems to have issues with project management.
    No argument there, hench why i included both of them... as his brother seems to be a bettre project manager. 

=)

Brenics said:
    If I saw something illegal happening I'd call the police. That is what they are there for.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Iselin said:
    jcrg99 said:
    Oh man ... I just tried to read this but that windbag is so off-putting.  I suppose I'll try again after I've digested more of my lunch.

It's challenging to try and wade through all the bluster and self-righteous indignation coming from someone who's been caught multiple times spreading lies to all corners of the internet.  I have to wonder if Chris Roberts has considered pulling the plug himself just so he doesn't have to deal with this jackass.
    Got to disagree with you there. It's actually an easy read. Whatver other nasty things we might say about DS and his games, he's not a bad writer... and his lawyer is an even better one:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4497650/15-10-02_Response_To_RSI_Cease_Desist.pdf

I guess nobody told this lawyer that crowdfunding pledges aren't "investments" they're donations.  And who the hell does he think Derek Smart is anyway?  Why should CIG acquiesce to anything he demands especially after they refunded his money?  It's moronic to suggest that Derek Smart is entitled to anything from CIG.  He should have left them alone after getting his refund.  The lawyer talks about Derek Smart like he works for some government regulatory agency or something and that CIG should just give him everything he's asking for.  Completely ridiculous.
    Legally that is not entirely true. If it can be shown that the funds where misappropriated then this will be handled like with any other investment no matter where the funds came from and someone is going to jail.

A valid example would be charity donations. They are not investments but shit is hitting the fan big time if they were not used for what was initially promised. The same principle applies here.

There is really no need to discuss this because most of us don't know the law to the extend these lawyers do.
    I guess one of the problems I've had with all of this from day one is, how do we define "misappropriated" in this area?  Is there something in the Kickstarter rules that say that "x" amount of funds must be spent towards the intended goal?  Does it set an amount that the recipient can expend for personal reasons such as paying bills?

I mean, I'm just not sure there's any legal precedent in this area.  Maybe charity based legal precedents would hold water in this scenario but I'm really not sure.
    H0urg1ass said:

Iselin said:

I guess one of the problems I've had with all of this from day one is, how do we define "misappropriated" in this area?  Is there something in the Kickstarter rules that say that "x" amount of funds must be spent towards the intended goal?  Does it set an amount that the recipient can expend for personal reasons such as paying bills?

I mean, I'm just not sure there's any legal precedent in this area.  Maybe charity based legal precedents would hold water in this scenario but I'm really not sure.
    I have no clue how spelled out it was for KS back in 2012.
    I believe they have since refined their position but none of those changes effect backwards.
    Brenics said:
    IF a saw it, as well as knew what I was seeing was that yes, but then I'd have personal proof. At the same time no one would know I had proof unless I could show that proof. My word wouldn't mean all that much to folks only interested in the truth.

Iselin said:
    jcrg99 said:

But regardless of how you define a pledge, at this point Derek Smart had been refunded his money which means he's entitled to Jack and Shit from CIG.  They have no obligation to do anything he's asking just because he thinks of himself as the Hero of the Common Man or whatever.
    Hold on there, you defined a pledge as an argument to prove a point which i showed is not valid.

You now build an argument on the base that if someone has not bought a car or got a refund for a car he can not say anything against cars ever because he is entitled to "jack and Shit" form all car companies.

Do we really have to continue with this because it frankly gets a little ridiculous and the straw grasping is pretty obvious.

No one would ever say CIG has to do anything, they can just ignore it all.

CIG however chose to do something. Namely, send the hack of a lawyer they employ to write a ridiculous Cease & Desist and then got schooled by DS lawyer. There is nothing much other to say than that.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Distopia said:

Hence my last reply, no matter what, we're talking about people, people do stupid things when they let emotion do the talking. We're talking serious accusations here, that could easily strike a nerve. I mean... Racism, unethical treatment, embezzlement, etc.. These things can bring a whole organization down individually, that goes for companies with a strong foundation, we're talking a crowdfunded start up here. With multiple crimes hanging over their head from an article, that is not proof of any of it.

That's where the one sided professionalism comes into play, there are many ways you could look at the article as being unprofessional, as well as DS's behavior in all of this. Yet just one side is expected to "play nice".

The media is never about professionalism, it's about the scoop and circulation, truth be damned, proof be damned, yet they're the good guys in this haha. Sorry that's just ironic to me. 
    I'm definitely ok with saying Derek Smart is unprofessional. He might be the least professional person on the planet. What is really strange is that it was Chris Roberts that invoked his name, not the Escapist.

But yes, one side is expected to play nicer than the other. One side is simply expected to be professional and mature. Making childish threats that you never plan to back up and may lead to action against yourself is just not expected from a CCO of a company.