Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes!

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Distopia said:
    Jacxolope said:

On a side note- I thought the Blog was perfect for its intention. I would bet that behind the scenes theres alot of movement and right now DS needs to play whatever cards he happens to be holding close. You people may not see whats coming- But its coming...
    Well if his intentions are as he says they are, why would he be holding anything back? The longer he holds out the more backers they gain, and the more of their money as he sees it gets flushed down the drain?
    Because we in legal territory as he stated.

DS since the start has held a ton back and tried to get the gaming media to do its job but always with an eye to the endgame and what potentially could/will comedown the road.

TBH he probably has said too much over the months but emotions flare and the venom spewed his way has got to be hard onanyone- Even someone who doesnt really give a fuck.

Of all the "rumors" DS has made public (and been hated on for) He hasnt yet been proven wrong- But has been proven right over time (after being attacked for these 'rumors")

CIG fucked up- recently. They moved the timeline ahead with their public outburst and they started a quick countdown. Nobody expected this. Everyone was well aware there would be a counter attack but not one that was so detrimental to CIGs position- It was a bit insane to bluff with the escapist and the information.

Now...Its on.

Thats why there probably wont be any more DS blogs. Time to keep cards close to hand-

he whole story is coming- You can bank your ships on it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Ok they got trolled, but i still ask the question, if chris roberts is as succesful as people say then why didn't he us his own money for the kickstarter he wasn't even asking that much ?

I would be having doubts in person who uses other people and not their own.

Did he not have enough faith in the project to use his own money ?

People have asked this about Mark Jacobs (who at least did invest on his own somewhat), Richard Garriott, and of course Chris Roberts...

I can't think of any professional using purely their own money to finance things like this. That's just not how it is done, there's too much that can go wrong, even with faith in your vision. Would you bet your entire lively hood (not just your own, but that of your family as well) on a pipe-dream? As that's all any vision is in it's infancy. You seek funding because it's in your best interest to. IF not from a publisher then elsewhere.

People forget how we got here to begin with, publishers weren't supporting these types of games, be it space sims, old school oriented MMORPGs, Crpgs, etc....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited October 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2015

What you conveniently forget in your uneducated rant is that none of these accusations would lead to any financial compensation for the sources (no cash-payout as you like to put it). They have no claims at all. Let's look at the accusations:

1. Horrible boss that has a short fuse and shouts a lot.... Nope.
    2. Shady hiring practices... Nope. These people are ex-employees so they got hired.
    3. Mismanagement of funds.... Nope.
    4. Embezzlement of funds... Nope.
    5. Wife of boss is a horrible bitch... Nope.

So now that we have established that none of these claims gives the sources any grounds for a lawsuit that would benefit them financially the rest of us can go back to addressing the real issues.

Except for point 3 and 4. What is wrong with the other points?

Pretty much the entire Silicon Valley is full of it! In fact. Everyone knew, for example, how horrible boss Steve Jobs was. What a horrible boss Jeff Bezos is. What a discriminate CEO Sataya Nadella is towards female employees.

If you don't like your boss and think his wife is a horrible bitch. Simple. Quit, move on and find a new job! /shrug

The fact that these ex-employees got rounded up by Derek Smart and went to the press.
    That says more about these people than Chris Roberts.
    edited October 2015
      EDIT double post
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Distopia said:

Ok they got trolled, but i still ask the question, if chris roberts is as succesful as people say then why didn't he us his own money for the kickstarter he wasn't even asking that much ?

I can't think of any professional using purely their own money to finance things like this. That's just not how it is done, there's too much that can go wrong, even with faith in your vision.
    Thanks for clarifying that, they wouldn't use their own money because things can go wrong.
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

Plus i would have doubt in a person who wanted to play around with other peoples money but not their own.
    From this are we to take it that you don't trust any publicly traded entity or partnership?
    They all use someone else s money to some degree.

Well that is how it is if you want a business loan, you know people get rejected a loan if they don't like your business plan it's a firm NO you can't have a loan.
    Well that is a reply but it still isn't an answer to the question.
    I am not answering stupid questions i put a reasonable post and you decided to post back with what you did.
    I hope you aren't a game journalist, because I would hate to have someone as blind as this writing about games.

The Ecapist got trolled, hard. If I was them , I would sue Derek Smart.

Kickstarter is a good place to see if an idea is even remotely interesting to the target audience. It is obvious to me the SC is very much a interest to the target audience. Who is to say he isn't using is own money ? This type og game can reach into the 100 million mark because it is doing something no other game has ever done in the hostroy of vdeo games. No other game comes close to SC scale and ambitions and I would like to read more about that apsect then some loser fucking troll who is diggging his own economic grave.

Doesn't answer the question, he wasn't asking for much in the kickstarter  i need to find how much it was because i know it didn't seem a lot to me,

So why didn't he use his own money ?

But i see someone else has put a reasonable post and i already replied too it.
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    edited October 2015
    Jacxolope said:
    Distopia said:
    Jacxolope said:

On a side note- I thought the Blog was perfect for its intention. I would bet that behind the scenes theres alot of movement and right now DS needs to play whatever cards he happens to be holding close. You people may not see whats coming- But its coming...
    Well if his intentions are as he says they are, why would he be holding anything back? The longer he holds out the more backers they gain, and the more of their money as he sees it gets flushed down the drain?
    Because we in legal territory as he stated.

DS since the start has held a ton back and tried to get the gaming media to do its job but always with an eye to the endgame and what potentially could/will comedown the road.

TBH he probably has said too much over the months but emotions flare and the venom spewed his way has got to be hard onanyone- Even someone who doesnt really give a fuck.

Of all the "rumors" DS has made public (and been hated on for) He hasnt yet been proven wrong- But has been proven right over time (after being attacked for these 'rumors")

CIG fucked up- recently. They moved the timeline ahead with their public outburst and they started a quick countdown. Nobody expected this. Everyone was well aware there would be a counter attack but not one that was so detrimental to CIGs position- It was a bit insane to bluff with the escapist and the information.

Now...Its on.

Thats why there probably wont be any more DS blogs. Time to keep cards close to hand-

he whole story is coming- You can bank your ships on it.
    Okay .... I'm having a tough time with this.  You seem to be suggesting:

1) Derek Smart has exercised restraint.

2) Derek Smart "doesn't really give a fuck".

Are you serious about those suggestions?
    Hahhhahahahh

On point #1 - Yeah, surprisingly, but not for restraints sake alone. 

On point #2 - He doesnt. he doesnt care what the internet thinks of him or  anyone else. His online persona is just that- A persona . Theres  very good article that  ws resurrected from like 15 years ago about this and the era DS is from- I'll see if I can find it and link it.  It hits on lots of truth.

EDIT-  Here bro- It looks like its from 10 years ago,not 15 but is about the past. https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/1011501

EDIT- Is your internet persona reflective of the real you?My (many) internet personas are merely mirrors into "me" but have little to do with reality. I can be a major asshole and often am. IRL, I'd give anyone the shirt off my back if they needed it regardless of political affiliation or what game they like lol.

It is what it is... Just because you know someones internet persona doesnt mean you know the person.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:
    Distopia said:

I can't think of any professional using purely their own money to finance things like this. That's just not how it is done, there's too much that can go wrong, even with faith in your vision.
    Thanks for clarifying that, they wouldn't use their own money because things can go wrong.
    Of course things can go wrong, it's game development, look at CCP with WOD, look at Blizzard with Titan, these are companies with real funding (Activision, hello) and ideas still end up in the waste bin, your ideas don't always work, they may take much longer than expected, etc... Do you expect people to end up poor and homeless all so they can try and make a game?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited October 2015
    Distopia said:
    AnnaTS said:
    Distopia said:

Of course things can go wrong, it's game development, look at CCP with WOD, look at Blizzard with Titan, these are companies with real funding (Activision, hello) and ideas still end up in the waste bin, your ideas don't always work, they may take much longer than expected, etc...
    Excatly i actually mention blizzard and project titan before, but these people seem to think everything is fine and dandy at Star Citizen but we know things can go wrong.

If blizzard can fail with their reputation surely means it's possible Chris Roberts could.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    There is a mountain of difference between someone saying that thing right there that you said I don't believe is going the way you say and a person saying I don't believe it isn't possible something could go wrong.
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:

Doesn't answer the question, he wasn't asking for much in the kickstarter  i need to find how much it was because i know it didn't seem a lot to me,

He did use his own money to create the Squadron 42 Proof of Concept demo that was shown at the Kickstarter presentation and to the press / fans.
    That wasn't exactly cheap to produce (all made in CryEngine) and was a risk for him financially, as he would have lost all that personal investment if the kickstarter didn't come through.
    JeroKane said:
    AnnaTS said:

He did use his own money to create the Squadron 42 Proof of Concept demo that was shown at the Kickstarter presentation and to the press / fans.
    That wasn't exactly cheap to produce and was a risk for him financially, as he would have lost all that personal investment if the kickstarter didn't come through.
    Aye he did. I mentioned that up thread.
    Was possibly missed or just inconvenient to acknowledge.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    AnnaTS said:

Excatly i actually mention blizzard and project titan before, but these people seem to think everything is fine and dandy at Star Citizen but we know things can go wrong.
    And one of the concerns CK/ks in general consistently raises is return on investment.  Typical investment investors + founders/ownders/publishers take significant risks in the hopes of significant monetary gains.  And in most cases are protected to some degree.  With CK the return is a game for backers and monetary return for founder/owners with the risk unilaterally all on the backer.  It's not evil but it is a gap in regulation.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Distopia said:

JeroKane said:

I really makes no sense at all for this to be a scam.  CIG stands to make mountains of money if Star Citizen is successful, more annually than what they've thus far collected in crowdfunding.

If you had the choice of 100mil now, or the potential to make more and not end up with that 100mil if things don't go your way, what would would you choose?

Most people would hold their hand out asking where is this 100mil.

Bottom line is. He is already financially independent and has been for some years.
    He doesn't need to run with backers money. 
    Pure speculation. Other sources suggest he was in deep financial troubles after a couple of his film projects fell through and he git sued by Kevin Kostner for $8 million.
    All angles here are pure speculation. I'd speculate that there wouldn't be 100 mil to walk away with after hiring everyone he has. IF he was to do as some are suggesting, why not just release the original game they talked about? That would not require a larger team, nor a lot of time, it would most likely be out by now and he'd be sitting on over 80 mil? With little to care about biting him in the ass, or going to prison.

I totally agree with you. It's pretty obvious at this point that he spent a lot of the money. He is on the record saying he hired a A List actors, the most expensive MoCap Studio available, opened 4 locations worldwide, invested heavily in the campaign by partnering with Turbulent, spent a lot on commercials and brochures and hired top developer talent.

All this does not come free so the notion he was setting up a scam is ridiculous.

However, the notion that he is in dire straights financially and needs to keep the money from ship sales flowing to keep people employed is even confirmed by himself.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    edited October 2015
    AnnaTS said:

Have you ever heard of the word redundancy ? That is what you keep posting for about 3 pages now.
    Ok and understood you don't like my posts.

Maybe they are like that because of the people i have been replying too.

Plus i don't know how comparing Star Citizen too Project Titan is redundant.
    BMBender said:
    AnnaTS said:

And one of the concerns CK/ks in general consistently raises is return on investment.  Typical investment investors + founders/ownders/publishers take significant risks in the hopes of significant monetary gains.  And in most cases are protected to some degree.  With CK the return is a game for backers and monetary return for founder/owners with the risk unilaterally all on the backer.  It's not evil but it is a gap in regulation.

That is not entirely true. EA lost a significant amount of money with SW:TOR!

Eventho, it's profitable for them now in F2P / hybrid mode (due to small dev team). I am pretty sure they still haven't recouped their initial development costs.

NCSoft lost a hell lot of money on Richard Garriot's utter failure with Tabula Rasa.

Then we have Vanguard: Saga of Heroes from Brad McQuaid, which was a total failure and bankrupted his company Sigil Games. (costed Microsoft a ton of money)

The Matrix Online, that bankrupted Monolith Productions. (costed Warner Bros. a ton of money)

Just some examples.
    JeroKane said:
    BMBender said:
    AnnaTS said:

Eventho, it's profitable for them now in F2P / hybrid mode (due to small dev team). I am pretty sure they still haven't recouped their initial development costs.

NCSoft lost a hell lot of money on Richard Garriot's utter failure with Tabula Rasa.

Then we have Vanguard: Saga of Heroes from Brad McQuaid, which was a total failure and bankrupted his company Sigil Games. (costed Microsoft a ton of money)

The Matrix Online, that bankrupted Monolith Productions. (costed Warner Bros. a ton of money)

Just some examples.

Actually investors support most of the upfront costs, publishers use that to fund, and if things go south cover the investors. It's a shared load of risk. when things go south investors get something back(even if it was less than the principal) and unless pubs make bad decisions in how much and in what to use that capital in beyond what thy can actually afford.

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    As DS has been mentioned again... please start by reading this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic/E7q27JJGvJ4

He uses virus tactics wherever he can. 
    BMBender said:
    JeroKane said:
    BMBender said:
    AnnaTS said:

Just some examples.

Actually investors support most of the upfront costs, publishers use that to fund, and if things go south cover the investors. It's a shared load of risk. when things go south investors get something back(even if it was less than the principal) and unless pubs make bad decisions in how much and in what to use that capital in beyond what thy can actually afford.
    Which is why self published products are so much worse when they fail for a company. No one was sharing the risk with them.

Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
      Which is why self published products are so much worse when they fail for a company. No one was sharing the risk with them.

To be fair I doubt blizzard complained much.

BMBender said:
    JeroKane said:
    BMBender said:
    AnnaTS said:

Just some examples.

You don't understand. In my examples.

EA was the investor for Bioware to develop SWTOR.
    NCSoft was the investor for their new NA studio run by Richard Garriott and his brother to develop Tabula Rasa.
    Microsoft invested (and so did SOE actually at that time) in Brad McQuaid's Sigil Games to develop Vanguard.
    Warner Bros. invested in Monolith to develop The Matrix Online.

In all these cases, the investors lost many millions of dollars. Especially EA took a huge hit! and vowed to never invest in another MMO project again.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    JeroKane said:

What you conveniently forget in your uneducated rant is that none of these accusations would lead to any financial compensation for the sources (no cash-payout as you like to put it). They have no claims at all. Let's look at the accusations:

1. Horrible boss that has a short fuse and shouts a lot.... Nope.
    2. Shady hiring practices... Nope. These people are ex-employees so they got hired.
    3. Mismanagement of funds.... Nope.
    4. Embezzlement of funds... Nope.
    5. Wife of boss is a horrible bitch... Nope.

So now that we have established that none of these claims gives the sources any grounds for a lawsuit that would benefit them financially the rest of us can go back to addressing the real issues.

Except for point 3 and 4. What is wrong with the other points?

Pretty much the entire Silicon Valley is full of it! In fact. Everyone knew, for example, how horrible boss Steve Jobs was. What a horrible boss Jeff Bezos is. What a discriminate CEO Sataya Nadella is towards female employees.

If you don't like your boss and think his wife is a horrible bitch. Simple. Quit, move on and find a new job! /shrug

The fact that these ex-employees got rounded up by Derek Smart and went to the press.
    That says more about these people than Chris Roberts.
    1. I was making a point that these people have no financial interest in reply to a post that alluded that they do. You conveniently forgot that or did not read it although it is there in plain view for everyone to see.

2. That is exactly what the sources did, more than half of them quit on their own accord. So what is your point again? Oh i know, you have none.

3. Conjecture. There are no facts provided that these people got rounded up by Derek Smart.

You are welcome.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬