Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes!

Comments

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    Vrika said:

No it won't get private investors. No investor wants to invest in company that has to give away 100 million dollars worth of games, virtual goods and services that are already paid for and has no money to do it.

If Star Citizen runs out of backer money before the game is near completion they're finished.
    Never underestimate the value someone might put on any tech they have worked on.
    Not saying it would happen but people and companies have purchased or bought into other companies for the tech and assets not necessarily the product.

PWE would cream themselves over the $1000 ships alone.
    Wow thanks for that frightening thought...the real difference with a PWE product would be that the ships could only be gotten with real cash.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
     "Leave Chris Roberts Alone!" 
    * cries and take the credit card to buy more concept arts of ships

* spends $900 on concept art of ship

"Take that you DS lovers ...  *sniff sniff* "

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    Vrika said:

No it won't get private investors. No investor wants to invest in company that has to give away 100 million dollars worth of games, virtual goods and services that are already paid for and has no money to do it.

If Star Citizen runs out of backer money before the game is near completion they're finished.
    Never underestimate the value someone might put on any tech they have worked on.
    Not saying it would happen but people and companies have purchased or bought into other companies for the tech and assets not necessarily the product.

PWE would cream themselves over the $1000 ships alone.
    Wow thanks for that frightening thought...the real difference with a PWE product would be that the ships could only be gotten with real cash.
    Naw with 5000 consecutive daily logins you could earn 1 of any ship free.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Or they won't file suit and nothing serious will happen, which I think is more likely.

Nothing will happen to the Escapist. Nothing will happen to CIG.

All the drama queens on here who are hoping for something to keep them entertained may be disappointed.

That is very unlikely since the allegations also point to federal crimes and embezzlement of funds. This will go to court one way or the other. If Escapist has more sources then i fear CIG is in deep shit.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited October 2015
    Or they won't file suit and nothing serious will happen, which I think is more likely.

All the drama queens on here who are hoping for something to keep them entertained may be disappointed.

That is very unlikely since the allegations also point to federal crimes and embezzlement of funds. This will go to court one way or the other. If Escapist has more sources then i fear CIG is in deep shit.

And even if the story is complete fabrication it's a potential conspiracy that also crosses jurisdictions.  It's self propelled at this point one way or another.

EDIT you potential felonies on both sides, it won't end in a settlement.
    Post edited by BMBender on

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited October 2015

That is just wishful thinking with the Roberts camp.  Any chance that nothing will come of this, or that this is going to just go away, are about as nil as a snowball's chance in hell. It's over.  But I am being very insensitive today.  The end is near and gloating about it brings me no joy.

My work is done here so I will just exit this thread. 

So, I decided to watch the entire podcast on The Escapist this morning ... and holy crap ... these people demonstrate a lack of knowledge of game development that I find surreal given they're reporting on a gaming website.  I'd encourage anyone who considers the Escapist a credible source of gaming commentary to watch this in its entirety:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/57500-Crowdfunding-Podcast

Maybe I am old fashioned on this point but I was equally as bothered by the one fellow swearing every 10th word. From some comics podcast or such np, but from a journalistic one it annoyed me.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Warley said:

From what I can tell, this drama has only benefited both the Escapist and CIG. Escapist made a ton of money on clicks and CIG made a ton of money on donations (1 million in a week) and added a bunch more new backers. Why should either company care about negative publicity? Apparently it doesn't matter - they both make money regardless. More than normal, in fact.

Unless the money does run out (which is ridiculously unlikely considering that CIG could always get private investor funds or a line of credit), then the game will get made regardless of "image". This is the part I don't get by the crusaders against CIG. Unless you truly believe that it's a Bernie Madoff type scam, then nothing you say or do is going to adversely affect this game's development.

And if you do believe it's a scam, then I'm willing to bet that you also think you were abducted by aliens and anally probed.

I really makes no sense at all for this to be a scam.  CIG stands to make mountains of money if Star Citizen is successful, more annually than what they've thus far collected in crowdfunding.
    I've said this before: don't try reasoning with the unreasonable. 
    No one sane ever said it is a scam. I think most people even the critics think that CR has great visions and genuinely wants to make this game. But he has a track record of being very short fused, over promising and under delivering, wasting millions because he does not listen to other people and having trouble managing money.

It is not unlikely he wasted a lot of money trying to achieve something that is not possible or not the way he wanted it. It is very likely he spent millions on A List actors doing expensive MoCap for 4 Months (you know how much a MoCap studio costs per day?). Overspending is a very real possibility especially if you read quotes from him like this one:

Roberts scoffs at the notion that the company will run out of money before the final game is delivered. "It's not going to happen. We keep a pretty healthy cash reserve. We managed our expenses based on the revenue we bring in. We have our development timeline and we know what we're doing. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it."
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600

Warley said:

From what I can tell, this drama has only benefited both the Escapist and CIG. Escapist made a ton of money on clicks and CIG made a ton of money on donations (1 million in a week) and added a bunch more new backers. Why should either company care about negative publicity? Apparently it doesn't matter - they both make money regardless. More than normal, in fact.

Unless the money does run out (which is ridiculously unlikely considering that CIG could always get private investor funds or a line of credit), then the game will get made regardless of "image". This is the part I don't get by the crusaders against CIG. Unless you truly believe that it's a Bernie Madoff type scam, then nothing you say or do is going to adversely affect this game's development.

And if you do believe it's a scam, then I'm willing to bet that you also think you were abducted by aliens and anally probed.

I really makes no sense at all for this to be a scam.  CIG stands to make mountains of money if Star Citizen is successful, more annually than what they've thus far collected in crowdfunding.
    . We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it."
    Why would they need to bring in more money when he apparently has the money to make the game, if this is true it's just a joke, how can anyone believe what he is saying.
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    CIG has raised almost another million since the story broke. I find this story fascinating. All press is good press. I hope CIG all the best and Star Citizen brings something new to the genre and raises the bar in the mmo sphere, this segment of the industry needs a wakeup call.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    So, I decided to watch the entire podcast on The Escapist this morning ... and holy crap ... these people demonstrate a lack of knowledge of game development that I find surreal given they're reporting on a gaming website.  I'd encourage anyone who considers the Escapist a credible source of gaming commentary to watch this in its entirety:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/57500-Crowdfunding-Podcast

Wait thought this had nothing to do with DS? 8 mins onwards, she starts talking about him. Think people need to rethink their conspiracy theories now.
    AnnaTS said:

Warley said:

. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it."
    Why would they need to bring in more money when he apparently has the money to make the game, if this is true it's just a joke, how can anyone believe what he is saying.

There is some debate on that either he misspoke or he's describing a borderline Ponzi/pyramid

He really should have a real lawyer with him if he speaks in public or in writing ...it's a mess.

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    edited October 2015
    Actually thinking about it the original kickstarter wasn't asking for much, so if Chris Roberts has been sucessful as some say i don't know as i don't know him, then why didn't he just use his own money as it wasn't a lot he was asking for ?

If he had done that we wouldn't be having all this.  

Plus i would have doubt in a person who wanted to play around with other peoples money but not their own.
    edited October 2015

I'd say because anyone who decides to run a business based off a pile of money to work from without continuing to bring money in as a safety net isn't very bright.
    The question it raises is that's exactly how CF/KS/GL functions, it is a lump sum, requiring more is outside it's contract.   Technically it can be argued you can't even  re-invest funding moneys into endeavors that don't directly contribute to the finished product unless the CF goal was to start an investment bank..

AnnaTS said:

Plus i would have doubt in a person who wanted to play around with other peoples money but not their own.
    From this are we to take it that you don't trust any publicly traded entity or partnership?
    They all use someone else s money to some degree.

edited October 2015
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

From this are we to take it that you don't trust any publicly traded entity or partnership?

They make quarterly reports to SEC, shareholders, boards ect.

EDITThere is always some form of oversight, it may miss stuff or be in collusion, but never usually not all at the same time

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Question remains, is CIG taking The Escapist to court as per their letter?

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

EDITThere is always some form of oversight, it may miss stuff or be in collusion, but never usually not all at the same time
    There were no qualifiers in the posters point.
    It was a blanket statement.
    Additionally, I would add that the initial work done pre kickstarter was self funded and I'm certain no small amount of personal capital.
    Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

It's still apples/oranges

BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

Agreed. I asked them about apples and you answered oranges  :pleased: 

Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

One would assume considering the topic that they were referring to an investment in an un-regulated industry with few precedents.

Question remains, is CIG taking The Escapist to court as per their letter?

That is a good question.  After watching the podcast, were I in CIG's shoes I would seriously consider it if the majority of the allegations are false.  I don't remember hearing a single mention of CIG's response to the allegations in the Escapist podcast.  Whether or not it could be proven, the argument could be made that the Escapist employees were intent on harming CIG's reputation.
    Even if they are they probably wouldn't have begun prepping anything ahead of time.
    It could be weeks before a claim even gets filed if one is filed at all.
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    BMBender said:
    Thourne said:
    AnnaTS said:

One would assume considering the topic that they were referring to an investment in an un-regulated industry with few precedents.
    I think most of the problems in this thread came about exactly because people have assumed things.