Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes!

Comments

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    edited October 2015
    People are surprised that out of the insane amount of money donated, the "owner" is using it to do whatever the hell he wishes.  It's a workshop in Hawaii! A chance to recharge my batteries!

Come on.  In his place, 99% of you would do the same thing with the huge amount of cash given.
    I don't agree with it at all. But it's not surprising.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Distopia said:
    muffins89 said:

he doesn't have to show records of the money.  it's not a publicly owned company.  and why should he?  just because people think he is mismanaging it?    
    Anyone have a decent list of pros and cons on why he would want or not want to do that?

we get less popcorn that way?

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Swanea said:
    People are surprised that out of the insane amount of money donated, the "owner" is using it to do whatever the hell he wishes.  It's a workshop in Hawaii! A chance to recharge my batteries!

Come on.  In his place, 99% of you would do the same thing with the huge amount of cash given.

No it is not surprising and the majority of us do, in fact, agree.  Which is all the more reason for the steadfast request for transparency and accountability.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Distopia said:
    muffins89 said:

he doesn't have to show records of the money.  it's not a publicly owned company.  and why should he?  just because people think he is mismanaging it?    
    Anyone have a decent list of pros and cons on why he would want or not want to do that?

Someone will always find an issue with how someone else spends their money.  Plus what if in a month people want back in the books.  What if he has had a number of fail ends that wasted money with development.  Really is no bonus to showing them.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Swanea said:

I would like to think most of us actually have morals and if we were given 90 million dollars to see a dream come true we wouldn't spend it on frivolous things
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited October 2015
    Swanea said:

I would pay myself really well, i don't deny that but i would make sure i can be held accountable at all time and it does not look like i am taking advantage of the backers.

I would not hire the most expensive resources possible if my Budget would not allow it. A 4 Month motion capture and recording session with A list acting talent is just pure waste of backer funds.

___

Another Interesting fact: Chris Roberts and his Movie Studio where sued by Kevin Kostner for $8 Million over some shady financial issues. ~ (source)

This guy has a history that is quite interesting if you take some time to dig through it.

I also reject the notion that he has a lot of money, i think he was almost broke after the disaster that was his movie producer career.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Horusra said:
    Distopia said:
    muffins89 said:

Someone will always find an issue with how someone else spends their money.  Plus what if in a month people want back in the books.  What if he has had a number of fail ends that wasted money with development.  Really is no bonus to showing them.

I'll be honest I see no scenario where any business scam or legit would open it's books to the public absent a subpoena

edited October 2015
    Horusra said:
    Distopia said:
    muffins89 said:

That is just an excuse.  As long as he can satisfactorily articulate the loss it would be generally understood it is just the cost of doing business.  That said, those failures should be put up to scrutiny so that future contributors can have a basis by which to decide if they want to contribute or not.  To hide information like that is deceitful with the underlying intent to pull the wool over people's eyes.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    BMBender said:

As someone said on another thread this one? where needing new money just to keep the train running after you've already achieved what you said and agreed to that you needed kinda does sound like a Ponzi scheme.  Perhaps he misspoke? the guy obviously doesn't filter what he says when he writes perhaps the same hold true verbally?
    To me it comes down to whether the guy is a pure dreamer, a swindler, or some measure of both.

Who knows in the end, I guess at some point we'll find out. All I know at this point is there are plenty of questions yet very little in the way of answers.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Horusra said:

That is just an excuse.  As long as he can articulate the loss it would be generally understood it is just a by-product of doing business.  That being said, those failures should be put up to scrutiny so that future contributors can have a basis by which to decide if they want to invest or not.  To hide information like that is deceitful with the underlying intent to pull a wool over people's eyes.
    Related but unrelated What if CF/KS stuff was monitored by a 3rd party with quarterly reports just like legitimate businesses?  Would kill a lot of drama angst

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Distopia said:
    BMBender said:
    As someone said on another thread this one? where needing new money just to keep the train running after you've already achieved what you said and agreed to that you needed kinda does sound like a Ponzi scheme.  Perhaps he misspoke? the guy obviously doesn't filter what he says when he writes perhaps the same hold true verbally?
    To me it comes down to whether the guy is a pure dreamer, a swindler, or some measure of both.

Who knows in the end, I guess at some point we'll find out. All I know at this point is there are plenty of questions yet very little in the way of answers.
    This happened to Freelancer too. (Check wikipedia)

It's like history repeating itself.

BMBender said:
    Horusra said:

That is just an excuse.  As long as he can articulate the loss it would be generally understood it is just a by-product of doing business.  That being said, those failures should be put up to scrutiny so that future contributors can have a basis by which to decide if they want to invest or not.  To hide information like that is deceitful with the underlying intent to pull a wool over people's eyes.
    Related but unrelated What if CF/KS stuff was monitored by a 3rd party with quarterly reports just like legitimate businesses?  Would kill a lot of drama angst

Yes.  This is sort of how the stock market functions with oversight from the SEC.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Who the hell hires your wife in that position?  And looking at his response about the VERY serious allegations about the whole thing leaves all of this very suspect.  Definitely smoke here and Escapist did an excellent job.  Glad I didn't spend any money on this train wreck.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    edited October 2015
    Wow make Roberts look like a guilty dog... and a whiny little bitch dog at that.

Oh and if there was any legal action pending they could NOT post this letter openly. Roberts true colors as a liar and con artist are starting to emerge.
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    edited October 2015
    psiic said:
    Wow make Roberts look like a guilty dog... and a whiny little bitch dog at that.
    No better than electoral campaigns, amirite?!  B)

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Fake journalism. A bunch of rumors and hearsay. Meh. 
    It's not hearsay when it's coming from the sources.  It would be hearsay if you were told by the employees and then the Escapist reported the info citing you not the source.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    It would be interesting to see if you could really successfully sue journalists over an article like that. Perhaps it will famously go down as the "Good-bye freedom of speech" precedent. 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Who the hell hires your wife in that position? 
    The one who has a wife who supported him when no publisher wanted to touch the project with a 10 foot pole. The one who has a wife who came up with a new marketing plan that ultimately brought in 90 million dollar.

Have fun
  • salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Still no evidence of a "scam" posted here.

Still see lots of biased opinions and conspiracy drama.

In other words, nothing's changed, or will change, anytime soon.

Detractors can keep banging their heads against a brick wall. Defenders keep pointing out that there is no proof of anything (which is correct).

Bitching about Star Citizen is not going to affect the game develop whatsoever. Aside from taking a couple days worth of time from the executives and legal (whose job it is to deal with this kind of shit anyway), CIG has just made even more money off of this drama by hardened fans.

The stupidity of people who dislike the game or the CEO is pretty amazing. Just giving the game free press and motivating hardcore fans to give more money. Now everyone is going to watch their big demonstration in a few days, and anyone curious or casual who was intrigued by the negative drama will probably pledge after seeing the new stuff next week.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    YashaX said:
    It would be interesting to see if you could really successfully sue journalists over an article like that. Perhaps it will famously go down as the "Good-bye freedom of speech" precedent. 
    Freedom of speech does not equal Freedom to slander.

Have fun
  • salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    If the sources were real and vetted then it's covered under freedom of speech. If they were fabricated (which CIG is implying and there is some evidence to support), then it's not covered and they can sue.

Only way to know for sure is for CIG to go through with the lawsuit and make the findings public.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

mods please close/lock thread.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

I think the Escapist is in some pretty deep shit on this one.  I'm enjoying how the narrative is beginning to swing back in the other direction as the new information spreads:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/10/04/star-citizen-developer-threatens-lawsuit-against-the-escapist-demands-apology-and-retraction/

We'll know in about 12 hrs if the article is still up they don't agree.  And a bluff is called.  If it's not they fold(possibly literally).

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Erillion said:
    Who the hell hires your wife in that position? 
    The one who has a wife who supported him when no publisher wanted to touch the project with a 10 foot pole. The one who has a wife who came up with a new marketing plan that ultimately brought in 90 million dollar.

Have fun
    His wife did not come up with a marketing plan. She is a failed actress nothing more. They partnered with Turbulent which already had a plan like that and the technology to make it happen and is now selling it as a Product all financed by the Backers.

The Montreal office is a partnership with Turbulent, a web developer for Star Citizen's back-end architecture.[39]
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    - OFF TOPIC WARNING -

How did Chris Roberts managed to get Sandi ?
    She is quite hot!  <3  :p
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation