Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why was Morrowind so good?

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    edited September 2015
    Thane said:
    it's the same reason they highly praise other games.
    because it's the first of it's kind they played.

most likely they never heard of RP before in that case ^^
    But you would be wrong =P

been gaming (CRPG's) since the c64 and playing tabletop games since d&D redbox in 1982-ish? (close). Played all the classics from gold box to Wizardry -

Morrowind was something special.

hell, in my case and the case ofmost people i know- Not even our first mmorpog was the one we like best. Rose colored glasses theory can be true to an extent but usually in rudimentary ways.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    d_20 said:
    I know that each of the Elder Scrolls games has its fans. A lot of people that are new to the series started with Skyrim and can't go back to the old graphics of Morrowind or Daggerfall, and so discount those games. Oblivion has its fans as well. The Arena made that game a lot of fun. But there are a lot of people who say Morrowind was the best of the The Elder Scrolls games to date.

Why?
    It was good but not my Favorite.  Skyrim was much better because the character progression felt better and the world felt more alive.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Soundtrack and sense of exploration.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Because lower expectations. 
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Jacxolope said:
    Thane said:
    it's the same reason they highly praise other games.
    because it's the first of it's kind they played.

most likely they never heard of RP before in that case ^^
    But you would be wrong =P

been gaming (CRPG's) since the c64 and playing tabletop games since d&D redbox in 1982-ish? (close). Played all the classics from gold box to Wizardry -

Morrowind was something special.

hell, in my case and the case ofmost people i know- Not even our first mmorpog was the one we like best. Rose colored glasses theory can be true to an extent but usually in rudimentary ways.
    yes, because it was the first of it's kind :)

you don't wanna tell me knights of krynn or similiar games (which WERE the equivalent of elder scrolls on older systems) could be compared to morrowin ^^

if i remember right morrowin was among the first "open world" games out there... with a half decent gfx :pleased: 

correct me on that one if my memory failed me again of cors :>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    respect sludgebeard. i would like to tell you my experience with morrowind.

morrowind was huge in 2002. i bought a geforce 4 ti (expensive as fuck) to play the new shader 3.0. morrowind was a graphical revolution, water was never prettier before. yes, i love to this date rpgs. the opening of morrowind, how you get your character is  a masterpiece.

long story short? morrowind was too overwhelming for me. slow running, slow combat, HUGE world. also every NPC had a name. questing was so hard.

but you see, i played gothic 1 and gothic 2 before morrwind. for me, the gothic series is the best rpg on this earth. if you liked morrowind, you should play gothic. to this date i have them installed. to this date i play them. for me its the best rpg series ever created. (gothic is very different from morrowind though. its pure immersion. a true rpg. do not assume that controls are clunky. play only with keyboard (ctrl+ arrow keys). everything is by design first, it will change....)
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I loved Morrowind, I remember watching that dude hiding his stash a midnight and thinking " wow this is epic". But my true love of open world rpgs came with a European RPG called Gothic.

Misterzebub 

Magician is one of my favorite books but have you only read the riftwar saga and not all the other Raymond E Fiest book.

What an mmo they would make.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Steelhelm said:
    My favorite tes game is Morrowind. It was also my first tes game.

Here's a video from 2012.

I think it has pretty spot-on points conversing the differrences of morrowind, oblivion and skyrim.
    Even though Morrowind is my favorite there is a rebuttal video that makes some equally great points which are also very spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEI4yS7sFEw
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Zarkin86 said:
    respect sludgebeard. i would like to tell you my experience with morrowind.

morrowind was huge in 2002. i bought a geforce 4 ti (expensive as fuck) to play the new shader 3.0. morrowind was a graphical revolution, water was never prettier before. yes, i love to this date rpgs. the opening of morrowind, how you get your character is  a masterpiece.

long story short? morrowind was too overwhelming for me. slow running, slow combat, HUGE world. also every NPC had a name. questing was so hard.

but you see, i played gothic 1 and gothic 2 before morrwind. for me, the gothic series is the best rpg on this earth. if you liked morrowind, you should play gothic. to this date i have them installed. to this date i play them. for me its the best rpg series ever created. (gothic is very different from morrowind though. its pure immersion. a true rpg. do not assume that controls are clunky. play only with keyboard (ctrl+ arrow keys). everything is by design first, it will change....)
    I tried playing gothic, I couldn't stand it. I think I purchased 2 of the games before I purchased gothic 4 (?) which from what I've seen isn't really considered a gothic game. Though funny enough I was able to get through more of it than the other two "for some reason". I never finished it though.

I seem to remember the you repeating everything that the quest text initially indicated was your quest text option started rubbing me the wrong way as I had already read it and knew what it was. Didn't like the combat of any of the games either but mostly because it felt awkward.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I'm going to download Daggerfall. Thanks for the info, Iselin.

I played a few hours of Arena about ten years ago. It was pretty fun, but I never got a feel for any sort of story or universe. It just seemed like a huge world to run around in. There was a lot of hack and slash. It was fun and I can see how it must have been really amazing when it came out.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Each of the games had something that was better then the others.  Here's a few.

1.  Arena had the best magic, you could fly around and fight from the air.  You could also climb walls.  Which was dropped out entirely at morrowind.

2.  Daggerfall had the biggest world and best dungeons.

3.  Morrowind had the largest interactive world.

4.  Oblivion had the best combat system.  Now ESO does

4.  Skyrim had the best class building system.

Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:

Each of the games had something that was better then the others.  Here's a few.

1.  Arena had the best magic, you could fly around and fight from the air.  You could also climb walls.  Which was dropped out entirely at morrowind.

2.  Daggerfall had the biggest world and best dungeons.

3.  Morrowind had the largest interactive world.

4.  Oblivion had the best combat system.  Now ESO does

4.  Skyrim had the best class building system.

Now this is going to get a bit nerdy, but I will proceed.

You can fly around and fight from the air in Morrowind. I played as a Breton with Magicka resist. Get your magicka resist to 100%, get yourself the Boots of Blinding Speed, learn levitation, and skies are yours to command. Flight is one of my reasons for loving Morrowind.

Zarkin86 said:

I first played it in 2004 on my xbox. I started and quit a couple of times after playing less than an hour. I couldn't believe how less than fun the game seemed at first. The combat was hilariously bad with the thrusting dagger and point blank missing on top of the incredible slowness you mention. But then I decided to give the game one more try and something clicked for me and I was hooked and played the hell out of that game for two years.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    d_20 said:
    I'm going to download Daggerfall. Thanks for the info, Iselin.

I played a few hours of Arena about ten years ago. It was pretty fun, but I never got a feel for any sort of story or universe. It just seemed like a huge world to run around in. There was a lot of hack and slash. It was fun and I can see how it must have been really amazing when it came out.

Arena graphically looks extremely rough now (I played it a bit a couple years ago) but I loved it way back when it was new. It had the spell maker which I've missed in the later ES games and, best of all, it had a very unique magic class, the Sorcerer.

Sorcerers could not regenerate magicka naturally although they could guzzle magicka potions. But they had the highest magicka pool. As long as it wasn't full, they would absorb spells cast at them instead of taking damage. So you never really wanted to be full when going against spell casters. 

Since they had such a high pool, they could really take advantage of the spell maker creating some very powerful high cost spells that weren't feasible for other magic classes.

I think the class was dropped after that, although it might have also been in Daggerfall - it's been a long time since I played that one too.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Misterzebub 

Magician is one of my favorite books but have you only read the riftwar saga and not all the other Raymond E Fiest book.

IMO, Feist's best book was the one I mentioned above, Faerie Tale. Urban fantasy horror with a sprinkling of erotica. It wasn't part of any series, just a stand-alone.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2015
    ...  Did not like the Morrowwind setting ...

Loved Daggerfall , and still have the original box and cd with the 500 page manual ..

Hated Oblivion ... scaling combat is always a fail imo ...

Really enjoy my time in Skyrim

Anyone interested you can get a game called FRONTIERS on steam , its in EA but playable and really captures a Daggerfall feel
    Iselin said:
    Misterzebub 

IMO, Feist's best book was the one I mentioned above, Faerie Tale. Urban fantasy horror with a sprinkling of erotica. It wasn't part of any series, just a stand-alone.
    Yeah ive got the book and read it years ago, it's very along the lines of Charles De Lints Moonheart which was out 4 years before. Although Moonheart is a bit different, i really think Raymond read the book.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    For me, there are a number of reasons why Morrowind remains my favourite TES game:

1) The world

It just has an amazing variety of places to visit and much more "high fantasy" than subsequent games. The striders, the mushroom-shaped buildings, lakes, mountains, forests, tundra...it just had everything and made everything feel interesting

2) Tons of places to explore

Every cave or dungeon you entered had the potential to be epic. You never knew what sort of creatures you'd be fighting, the architecture involved etc. It was just an exciting game for dungeon crawling. Compare this to Skyrim where there are basically just 3 or 4 dungeons which get repeated throughout the game. 

3) No scaling

The world is what it is. Some places had hard-hitting daedra, other places had easy bandits. This added to the excitement of exploring (can i actually clear this cave?) whilst also providing a sense of achievement when you'd finally leveled up enough to be able to kill certain monsters or clear certain locations. With the scaling tech in both oblivion and skyrim, this never felt like the case. Both those games were too easy start to finish and didn't really get interesting (enemy wise) until you were high level. I remember one playthrough of oblivion, I powerleveled to 20 before doing any quests just to make the game more interesting. 

4) Epic Loot

On top of each location being interesting in its own right, I seem to remember endlessly finding interesting gear scattered all over the place. This was an extra incentive to explore and added satisfaction when you cleared a place and got a nice bit of loot (mask of clavicus vile anyone?). All my gear was looted. Compared to Skyrim where crafting just made 99% of the games loot obsolete, this is a big plus. 

Those are my main reasons. I feel that, in general, Bethesda have been getting better and better at improving combat systems and graphics, but this has come at the expense of world building / design. 

For me, its fun to run around Morrowind, a high-fantasy landscape with tons of interesting things to see and do. Oblivion just felt like medieval europe with a few monsters running about. Skyrim felt too much like exploring a Viking world. 

In other words, the worlds of Oblivion and Skyrim were uninspiring, so regardless of the other systems, quests, loot, combat etc, I just didn't want to spend as much time in those worlds as I did with Morrowind. 
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    That whole PC vs Console shit is dead now anyway. Remember this video is 2012..

Xboxone and PS4 both run games just as good as PC if not better and yes Im a PC gamer by nature but i do own the other two consoles

Anyway I agree with the video.. you can tell that TES had started to dumb down in order to capture console gamers and it worked (obviously) but now with TES6 they have a chance to go back to some of the pc roots which I think they should. We will have to wait and see there.

Skyrim vs Morrowind? Yes Morrowind is a better overall game out the box...so many reasons, but the modding community for Skyrim has made it the best TES game to date in my opinion. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Sovrath said:
    Steelhelm said:

I think it has pretty spot-on points conversing the differrences of morrowind, oblivion and skyrim.
    Even though Morrowind is my favorite there is a rebuttal video that makes some equally great points which are also very spot on.

When looking at that response video I almost feel like the guy is listing morrowinds bugs and telling what oblivion and skyrim did differently to avoid those bugs. That's how I see the difference of those games.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
    edited September 2015
    Steelhelm said:
    Sovrath said:
    Steelhelm said:

When looking at that response video I almost feel like the guy is listing morrowinds bugs and telling what oblivion and skyrim did differently to avoid those bugs. That's how I see the difference of those games.
     I don't really think that being able to join opposite and ideologically opposing factions were a bug. Even though I love Morrowind and still play it (going to update my faces again with a new mod) I even thought that design decision was suspect.

And in truth, the non-main quest npc's in Morrowind all said the exact same thing. Whereas in, say, Skyrim, there are a lot of nifty little differences between many non-mainquest npc's.

Additionally, the radiant ai in Oblvion seems better than skyrim since I could be in a tavern, wait a few hours and suddenly the npc's in that tavern would no longer be there, would have moved on. But last night I did that in skyrim (as I have so many times) and after 8 hours they were all there, in their exact same spots.

And, of course, in Morrowind, I could visit any npc at any time and they would be in the same place.

I suppose I try to take each game for what they are instead of actively making comparisons while playing.

I still foresee myself playing all these for years to come.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    d_20 said:
    Zarkin86 said:

I first played it in 2004 on my xbox. I started and quit a couple of times after playing less than an hour. I couldn't believe how less than fun the game seemed at first. The combat was hilariously bad with the thrusting dagger and point blank missing on top of the incredible slowness you mention. But then I decided to give the game one more try and something clicked for me and I was hooked and played the hell out of that game for two years.
    I totaly believe you. I am sure its a great game when it clicks. I can see all the thoughts and lore packed into morrowind...it has one unique atmosphere. i needed some tries with the witcher 1 too. all i can say is, that you should try gothic 1 :) i love the series. (g1-3, g2 addon)

how do you like skyrim?
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    d_20 said:
    As someone who streams Morrowind on Twitch over 20+ hours a week,
    Awesome post!

Can you link your Twitch and any recommendations on mods?
    http://www.twitch.tv/sludgebeard

I keep my mods super simple. Just MGSO 3.0 and all of Abbots travel mods.

Meaning Abbots Silt Strider, Abbots Gondoliers, Abbots Boats: Which allows for real-time travel across all of Morrowind.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I have no clue really.

Morrowind was my first TES game and I dont only have fond memories.

The bugs in Morrowind have definitely been very entertaining. For example alchemy was bound to intelligence. So you could craft a potion of intelligence and consume it, then make the next and consume that, then make another and consume that etc until you had intelligence raised by a bazillion, and then you could make insane health regen potions that would restore more than your complete health every second for hours etc.

But what I really hated was the endless level grind. You couldnt just go out and explore. You had to actually plan what you wanted to level next. If you did NOT do that, your character would be MUCH MUCH weaker. I literally spent months to levelup my character without ever actually playing the game.

It took me until Oblivion before I found out how to bypass this system: simply use cheats. Its still like an hour long process (raise skills, sleep, raise skills, sleep, raise skills, ...), but afterwards you never again have to bother with this horrible levelup system.

I definitely liked the Morrowind main quest a lot more than the Oblivion one.