Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sub based vs Free to Play

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Secondly, Developers are giving away their game for free, because it was not good enough to garner a pay model. People do not play free games, they try them and then move on.

No. Devs are giving away their game for free because finding that whale makes much more money than having a pay model. And you can't find the whales with a pay model.

People do not play free games? LoL, WoT, TOR ... how many players do they have? I think you are delusional believing that.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Secondly, Developers are giving away their game for free, because it was not good enough to garner a pay model. People do not play free games, they try them and then move on.

No. Devs are giving away their game for free because finding that whale makes much more money than having a pay model. And you can't find the whales with a pay model.

People do not play free games? LoL, WoT, TOR ... how many players do they have? I think you are delusional believing that.
    Games are not P2P because they are good. In fact if your game is bad, you can make more money with P2P. The whole point of P2P is to MARKET the game as aggressively as possible, so that you can get the biggest possible return on initial sales. It is all about getting the money BEFORE they can play.

Games are not F2P because they are bad. In fact if your game is good, you can make more money with F2P. The whole point of F2P is let the game market itself.  F2P is a much longer term investment, as you have to wait patiently for the money to come in, and you have to keep the game fun the whole time, in order to get customers to put in money. It is all about getting the money AFTER they play the game.
  • ZukapeZukape Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Sub based games are soooooooo 2006-7'ish. I think future of the MMO's will be B2P. I mean look at The Elder Scrolls Online. They are doing very well. So far, still plenty people are playing the game. Also I read somewhere online, company making quite good money...(Well 2nd DLC comming so I wouldnt suprise) Other hand we have Guild Wars 2. To be honest to you I dont like the game itself. But there are many players playing it. 

There is only one game I'll say it is F2P and not Pay2Win; path of exile... I think it is an awesome game. If I havent got Diablo III yeah definetly would play it. Only problem path of exile has: COMMUNITY! I dont know have you ever played but, most chat conversations are "sarcastic?", "childish?" I dont know... I found it very annoying. This is why I always rather paying a couple bucks for MMO's. If you are smoking, think how much cost a pack of cigarettes. Then you wont worry about paying for it. ;)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    To be honest, this forum has really beaten the p2p vs f2p to death...For what its worth here is my experience:

2000-2006 Pretty much had to p2p as thats about all there was.....probably spent close to $2000 maybe even more during this time

2007-present - alot more f2ps showed up.....spent probably $200 or so

I really hated paying a sub...to me its a total waste of money but back then was only option we had.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The fact is, they have to stay in business.  The subscription model is the easiest, because it's a simple.  You pay X amount and if there are enough subscriptions, there is profit.  When you get away from that, things become more complicated.  I have no numbers, but not everyone participates in the cash shops/microtransactions schema and this is what's causing much of the problem.  The developers have to try to balance the needs of the many, with the need for profit.

I self identify as a monkey.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    mgilbrtsn said:
    The fact is, they have to stay in business.  The subscription model is the easiest, because it's a simple.  You pay X amount and if there are enough subscriptions, there is profit.  When you get away from that, things become more complicated.  I have no numbers, but not everyone participates in the cash shops/microtransactions schema and this is what's causing much of the problem.  The developers have to try to balance the needs of the many, with the need for profit.
    The easiest does not imply the best.  In fact, subscriptions are probably the harder nut to crack because people are so ready to jump ship if they don't feel they are getting their $15 worth anymore. At least that is the impression that I would gather from the fact that almost every P2P game turns to F2P within a year.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Depends on the game.... Both?  I guess I am not so plugged in. If I like a game and it has a sub, I pay it. If the game if free to play then I buy random other stuff. I guess it is a personal value thing.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Zukape said:
    Sub based games are soooooooo 2006-7'ish. I think future of the MMO's will be B2P. I mean look at The Elder Scrolls Online. They are doing very well. So far, still plenty people are playing the game. Also I read somewhere online, company making quite good money...(Well 2nd DLC comming so I wouldnt suprise) Other hand we have Guild Wars 2. To be honest to you I dont like the game itself. But there are many players playing it. 

There is only one game I'll say it is F2P and not Pay2Win; path of exile... I think it is an awesome game. If I havent got Diablo III yeah definetly would play it. Only problem path of exile has: COMMUNITY! I dont know have you ever played but, most chat conversations are "sarcastic?", "childish?" I dont know... I found it very annoying. This is why I always rather paying a couple bucks for MMO's. If you are smoking, think how much cost a pack of cigarettes. Then you wont worry about paying for it. ;)
    I will say Marvel Heroes fit that too. 
  • pongdunpongdun Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Good F2P game is well worth the sub. A P2P game is just a ripoff trying to trick me out of my money.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Honestly the payment structure means little to me. What matters far more to me is whether I see in game advertisements for paid services. Sure if I walk up to a certain vendor and do a faction change or something, that can have a real dollar price, but if it's half the vendors in the game with an out of game currency, it just snaps my immersion immediately.