Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greatest MMOs of All Time - Numbers 25 to 16 a Editorial at MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Horusra said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    NukeGamer said:
    Wildstar 19?  Above swtor?  Swg will be above swtor haha Swg doesn't even deserve to be on the list. It's the most overhyped after death game in the history of MMOROGS. 
    Think about what you just said about SWG and than come back to us with a statement that actually makes sense. If the game sucked as bad as you THINK it did, than why is it one of the only MMO's that gets talked about as often as it does years after it's demise? If it truly sucked, don't you think it wouldn't get referred to so much by so many?

By that logic WoW is the greatest game every by how much people talk about it.
    Which is why it'll be no. 1 on this list.  I'm not the biggest WoW fan by any means.  But, it's ability to draw in the sheer number of people it has over the years, deserves to be in my opinion.
  • NukeGamerNukeGamer Member, AMA Guest UncommonPosts: 309
    Rhoklaw said:
    NukeGamer said:
    Wildstar 19?  Above swtor?  Swg will be above swtor haha Swg doesn't even deserve to be on the list. It's the most overhyped after death game in the history of MMOROGS. 
    Think about what you just said about SWG and than come back to us with a statement that actually makes sense. If the game sucked as bad as you THINK it did, than why is it one of the only MMO's that gets talked about as often as it does years after it's demise? If it truly sucked, don't you think it wouldn't get referred to so much by so many?
    Sorry because a very small vocal group of grown adults can't get over a video game that closed and spam it on sites like this doesn't mean it was good.  

A few facts:

in 2006 they had 10,000 players online.  Smed never denied this.  Sorry some super duper amazing game would never fall this low.  

No developer has succeeded and none are even trying anymore to copy Swg because it's a failing proposition to copy something that failed and wasn't very good.  

If Swg released today it would meet its same fate and close up shop. 
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Another bump for Darkfall being under-rated by this MMORPG staff poll. When it came on the scene it was something completely different, and it sucked my life away (read: immersion) for the better part of a year. And another bump for LOTRO being under-rated, the realization of a very difficult IP, and they really did a very complete job of it. These are both games where I feel grouping was social, fun, and needed. Consider my two cents, deposited.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Horusra said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    NukeGamer said:

By that logic WoW is the greatest game every by how much people talk about it.
    WoW deserves to be #1 on this list.  It did something that no other MMORPG in history has done, or will do in the future, which is draw all walks of life into their game.  My 9 year old daughter plays it and all three of the 50+ year old administrative assistants at my last company played it together.  It's the universal game.

SWG was so far ahead of it's time there's still no one that has replicated the depth of play-styles and world building that it incorporated.  There's a community of gamers that long to have that experience back again.  It's one of those games that stands as a cultural milestone of MMORPG gaming.  Even if you didn't play it, you knew about it; for good or for bad.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i like how people complain about it being biased while at the same time they're trying to push their own opinions as somehow more valid xD. it's just a list for funsies. i just think it's fun reading about some games i've never heard of before.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    It's just an opinion list - it's not "the 100% ironclad definitive" list by any means. I wouldn't put Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning even at spot 50 - no game has ever disappointed me so much.
    It was way over-hyped and disappointing too... but it had two of my favorite classes in MMOs, the Archmage and the Warrior Priest.

It's tough to make heal-though-damage classes (Rift's Chloromancer is my all time favorite) but when they're done well, they're spectacular.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    NukeGamer said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    NukeGamer said:
    Sorry because a very small vocal group of grown adults can't get over a video game that closed and spam it on sites like this doesn't mean it was good.  

A few facts:

in 2006 they had 10,000 players online.  Smed never denied this.  Sorry some super duper amazing game would never fall this low.  

No developer has succeeded and none are even trying anymore to copy Swg because it's a failing proposition to copy something that failed and wasn't very good.  

If Swg released today it would meet its same fate and close up shop. 
     SWG always had a respectable population until NGE.  When you completely change the entire game design, which they did with NGE what do you expect.  Entire classes were wiped out.  No one talks about SWG post NGE, it was a crap game after that.  HUGE difference.  If a pre NGE SWG was released today, there would a decent player base. 

Far as I am concerned it is and always will be in my top 5.  No other game has captured the sand box design like it did.

So your facts lack any support because you obviously have no experience with the game, so why are you bothering to post about it.
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    NukeGamer said:
    I can't agree with this more. Frankly, SWTOR only gets bad hype because the 5 people that wanted SWG relaunched haven't gotten over that slight in 4 years. I spent last 4 years subbed with only a total of 6 months where I wasn't subbed so I could play other games. But hey, it's an opinion poll of all the writers and staff, so maybe none of them actually played out the game to its fullest to give it a fair ranking. I think if you didn't finish all the stories of the 8 character classes then you completely missed a huge portion of this game. Besides, all the end game is on par with any other AAA MMORPG in the genre. But as usual, people like to spout "opinions" and demand to be taken seriously. Myabe should take an English course so that you understand what context "opinion" should be used in.
  • leon09leon09 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    muffins89 said:
    wildstar should not be on this list. 
    Those of us that raided in Wildstar would disagree... shame they killed the scene early expecting people to be able to do 40 mans. Never has a guild merge been successful lol. (im sure the 2-3 guilds that was able to 40 man loved it tho... even if they was beta testing them because carbine wasn't pre-pared for people to play them lol).
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    It is an opinion piece, granted, but it is an opinion I cannot agree with. The only objective measure I can use is population, as that indicates popularity, which indicates what people consider to be the "best", and by that measure several MMOs on this list are in absolutely the wrong position.  
  • GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    man i would have Warhammer much close to the top 10. that game was so much fun with my goblin shaman. real too bad it fell apart so fast. end content was pretty lame, and even pvp got kind of ridiculous at high levels with insane amount of knock backs, stuns, and aoe damage. i remember getting to tier 3 pvp getting chained stunned/knocked/nuked endlessly until i pretty much gave up on the game. still, lower level pvp and pve was some of the funnest i've ever had.
    I miss Warhammer so much. It was such a great game, but the victim of a hurried launch and some bad decisions.
  • CaeruleiCaerulei Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Of all the games on this list, Wildstar is the only one that interests me. That said, most of them did make substantial and important contributions to the overall MMO industry's development. My personal top 5 greatest MMOs would be in no order: Runescape, FFXIV, GW2, Guild Wars, and WoW.
  • PC_FerretPC_Ferret Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Alverant said:
    As long as City of Heroes is in the top 15, I'll be happy.
    Agreed!!
  • HighestHandHighestHand Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2015
    Where is this weeks installment? I am very curious!!

Also, GW2 will probably be top 1. I'm calling it. 
    edited October 2015
    Where is this weeks installment? I am very curious!!

@BillMurphy ;

What he said. Also... aren't we 2 weeks behind now?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Coming tomorrow. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Coming tomorrow. :)
    Good. It'll be nice to fight about something other than Star Citizen for a change... unless SC is in the top 15... nah, you wouldn't :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    It is an opinion piece, granted, but it is an opinion I cannot agree with. The only objective measure I can use is population, as that indicates popularity, which indicates what people consider to be the "best", and by that measure several MMOs on this list are in absolutely the wrong position.  
    Except your opinion is flawed, as I think popularity is only one measure of success or quality, and many things in life are extremely popular, but not the best IMO so I don't hold this stat in the same regards as you.

For example, I "know" EVE is better than WOW, and I also know why it isn't the most popular, definitely not the MMORPG for everyone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Kyleran said:

Spoiler: WoW is #1.
    I dunno, somehow I think it will be in the top 3 but not number 1.

Scarlet Blade is #1 hands down

(I have no intent on describing what those hands might be doing whilst they are down...)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Iselin said:
    Gravarg said:
    I'm surprised at #17 being lotro. It's in my personal top 5 :(
    Yeah surprised me too, IDK about top 5 but I would have thought top 10.

Let's see... what's left?

WOW
    EVE
    EQ
    DAOC
    UO
    AC
    EQ2
    COH
    SWG
    FFARR
    GW2
    ESO
    TSW
    Runescape

What am I missing?
    Hello Kitty Online!!
    Sorry man, the guy above beat you to it. It was Scarlet Blade.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I've played a TON of MMORPG's...And LOTRO is definitely in my Top 3... #17 is WAY too low for that game...WAY too low...I also think #20 is too low for SWTOR...It will never live up to the hype it received...But as a story driven quest based MMO it's pretty darn good...Especially now...Not saying it's Top 5...But #20 is too low...
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    It's a nice list of games.

And that's all it is.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!