Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon RoTF: New site, info and screenshots.

Comments

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    unclemo said:
    Syphin_B said:
    Now this is a project where i'll kick some money into.

WHen Brad first launched it, there was no way i was gonna put money towards a pipedream but now Pantheon is shaping up to be somehing great, something that all of us MMO vets have been looking for, for years now.
    You are basing this on the website upgrade alone?

Not sure about the other guy, but I'm basing it on the screenshots and the quality of the new site, yes. I've seen the newer videos, and now I can see from some screens that there are already in-game mechanics like merchants, inventory and itemization, as well as classes. And all this in a surprisingly short time considering where they were 6 months ago. And the concept art on the website is absolutely incredible. Easily the best concept art I have ever seen for a fantasy game. It just hits the mark for me. Not to mention that the website quality in it itself shows where they are setting the bar.

Point is, they've shown enough to convince me to give it a chance. Before there was no chance, now I'd be willing to put some money down because the odds now look much better than 50/50 that the game will be finished and be something that I would like to play. And those are odds that I'm willing to take, considering my desperation for a good MMO.

flizzer said:
    TheJoda said:
    Another 2017 game......./sigh. 
    You sound like an optimist.  I would imagine 3 years for a rough beta.  If you briefly look at the site, they have very ambitious plans. 
    2017 sounds about right at the pace they are going at the moment. Anything could happen, but they are already in a playable alpha right now levels 1-10, all classes, according to the website and 4 zones. If that's the case 2017 seems realistic to me. Might be the end of 2017, but so what? Even if it was 2018, that would be fine with me.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Nice update. Looks really good. Cant wait to see a new video to see if the models and animations have been improved at all.

Though I noticed that the concept art of the Dwarf , Human , Halfling and Elf are all real pictures that have been shopped. The Dark Myr also has that look but cant say for sure.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Drooling... 
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    edited September 2015
    Not a fan of the new races personally. Also don't like the fact that they WoWized humans (all humans are the same culture!) compared to the original design where there was more than one human culture. (Cause you know, brown people don't deserve their own starting areas and separate cultures from the standard mmo norms, because obviously they don't play mmos  :( )

Oh wait, the ravaging demon savage folk are brownskinned...

*rolls eyes*

Really Brad, from the majesty of the Erudites in EQ1 to this?

So I'm guessing Tony and the other brother (forget his name) aren't amongst the returnees are they?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2015
    Maquiame said:
    Not a fan of the new races personally. Also don't like the fact that they WoWized humans (all humans are the same culture!) compared to the original design where there was more than one human culture. (Cause you know, brown people don't deserve their own starting areas and separate cultures from the standard mmo norms, because obviously they don't play mmos  :( )

*rolls eyes*

So I'm guessing Tony and the other brother (forget his name) aren't amongst the returnees are they?
    I fall into the "still need to see a lot more before I back this" crowd. The site looks nice and I actually like the races.  That being said, I still haven't seen anything that makes me confident this is going to launch.  But you are being a bit ridiculous.  Humans in this world are not the same humans as we humans on Earth.  Maybe in their world they aren't morons who judge and divide based on race/sex/creed.  Maybe in their world having so many other species of beings that can challenge humans.  They have banded together and no longer worry about such trivial points since cooperating = survival.
    Maquiame said:

*rolls eyes*

I fall into the "still need to see a lot more before I back this" crowd. The site looks nice and I actually like the races.  That being said, I still haven't seen anything that makes me confident this is going to launch.  But you are being a bit ridiculous.  Humans in this world are not the same humans as we humans on Earth.  Maybe in their world they aren't morons who judge and divide based on race/sex/creed.  Maybe in their world having so many other species of beings that can challenge humans.  They have banded together and no longer worry about such trivial points since cooperating = survival.

Or I could be someone that preferred the mutliple types of humans from Brad's previous games and the original human variants from the original design of Pantheon. I could be someone who knows that in this retooled society that looks past race/sex and creed that all the important npcs of the world will not be as varied as this "utopian" society in your words is. 

If everyone mattered when they make humans the "one flavor of ice cream" only why is it that you never see npcs of all looks in these "utopian cultures?"

"Oh but our humans include everyone! Look at our diversity!"

Me: "Diverse in everything but leadership and important characters, that people actually give a shit about. If your society was so perfect why aren't there leaders and named characters with stories of every look in your group? Because once again, the idea of ethnicity has been swept under the rug and instead those other types of humans are reduced to nothing but faces in the crowd and the brown color choice whitewashed human in the character creator. I'll pass thank you very much. Its like seeing the black people in the crowd in the hobbit movies, do you honestly give a shit about them? Does anoyone?   Nope! They are simply just there for decoration."

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Maquiame said:
    Maquiame said:

*rolls eyes*

Or I could be someone that preferred the mutliple types of humans from Brad's previous games and the original human variants from the original design of Pantheon. I could be someone who knows that in this retooled society that looks past race/sex and creed that all the important npcs of the world will not be as varied as this "utopian" society in your words is. 

If everyone mattered when they make humans the "one flavor of ice cream" only why is it that you never see npcs of all looks in these "utopian cultures?"

"Oh but our humans include everyone! Look at our diversity!"

Me: "Diverse in everything but leadership and important characters, that people actually give a shit about. If your society was so perfect why aren't there leaders and named characters with stories of every look in your group? Because once again, the idea of ethnicity has been swept under the rug and instead those other types of humans are reduced to nothing but faces in the crowd and the brown color choice whitewashed human in the character creator. I'll pass thank you very much. Its like seeing the black people in the crowd in the hobbit movies, do you honestly give a shit about them? Does anoyone?   Nope! They are simply just there for decoration."
    I was basically explaining a Star trek type of human world where all humans were the same regardless of color/sex etc.  There are so many different alien races that rival and supass the humans that they banded together.  You didn't need to go off on a whole spewl  PC Principle.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited September 2015
    There are a lot of assumptions flying around in here. Last time I checked, all races here on earth are still classified as humans. There is no telling what degree of customization is going to be available in Pantheon for humans or any other race.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited September 2015
    Howry said:
    Website is much improved but what is with the look of the Gnomes? That is the oddest gnome I have ever seen.
    I thought that too, so then I thought to myself- Hmm what is exactly is a gnome originally?  I went to Wikipedia and read a bit, so now I understand a bit on their take of the gnome. Some early references of gnomes regard them as earth elementals or spirits.  

As we read the lore on the pantheon site, I think they explain what happened to the appearance of the gnomes: "As the bristling energy in the Resivore continued to sift through the Skyhold, a dire conclusion was reached by the Gnomes: they must abandon their mortal flesh or perish.

"With the very power that was afflicting our bodies, we were able to repossess our souls into the Resivore cloth called Maq'esh. "

or at least that is my take on it ;)

edited September 2015
    Dullahan said:
    There are a lot of assumptions flying around in here. Last time I checked, all races here on earth are still classified as humans. There is no telling what degree of customization is going to be available in Pantheon for humans or any other race.
    And what I am not talking about is customization, what I am talking about is culture. In the original design there was other human -cultures-. Like the Mordebi of Vanguard, like the Erudites of EQ1.  As I mentioned, the game when from having a unique -non- European culture of humans to now having all humans who fall under the same boat resulting in important npcs and leadership of that particular faction looking all the same way. Which is no different from WoW. Can you name any human npcs of color that matter in a WoW storyline? I can't. And I expect Pantheon now to follow suit.

Want to impress me? Make the leadership of the human faction as varied as the character creator, then I'll be quiet. Who cares if I can make a brown euro styled human. Are any of the named important to the story npcs of the faction going to be brown euro styled humans? I'm willing to wager that the answer is no.

Now if you have an important character of color in Pantheon to mention that I didn't know about then please, go right ahead and tell me. But right now looking at what I saw, all the humans of note are white and the only time we will see other looks is when the players make them.  Lets have some important npcs of that faction -not be white- for once if everyone is under the same banner then. How about that? You know, kind of like the multiethnic characters important to the story of a Halo game or a Mass Effect game?  "It doesn't matter = whitewashing." And the original design was better imo opinion because it didn't white wash. It had its equivalent to the Mordebi and its equivalent to the Erudites.

I don't care what I can make, I care who matters to the story, will Pantheon have its equivalent of Raubahn Aldynn from FFXIV:ARR amongst the humans since race doesn't matter and we all are humans? Again, I am willing to bet the answer is no.
    http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/raubahn_8526.png

Not everyone wants everything to taste the same. Putting chocolate syrup on vanilla ice cream does not make it chocolate, it makes it vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup.

So I am assuming that outside of the character creator there will be no important npcs of color that matter to the world story.  Please feel free to post pictures and links proving me wrong.

Again I am talking about NPCS of NOTE, not what I can make in the character creator.

Show me these multiethnic human NPC's of the Pantheon storyline that aren't white. Show me the non white one that's in charge of the knights, the non white one that advises the king, show me the non white npc that runs the mages guild.  Show me the badass hero knight npcs that is non white, all humans are the same, so it should be easy to have npcs of color that are important parts of the factional storyline too right?

You are going so far out of your way to make assumptions. There is absolutely no telling how character creation is going to work. For all we know, they could have every intention of doing exactly what you are talking about.

Something tells me even if they came forward with that information now, you'd still find something to complain about.

edited September 2015
    Dullahan said:
    You are going so far out of your way to make assumptions. There is absolutely no telling how character creation is going to work. For all we know, they could have every intention of doing exactly what you are talking about.

Something tells me even if they came forward with that information now, you'd still find something to complain about.
    You do know the difference between npc and character creator don't you? Please reread my post, you don't seem to understand what I am saying at all.

Let me say it again, I don't CARE about the character creator. I CARE about important npcs of color mattering to the human faction because "all humans are the same right!"

And if such is the case, then obviously there would be non white npcs part of the human's story and governing structure now right? I mean, because we all are the same and that doesn't matter, so why wouldn't there be? I mean surely these enlightened humans that see beyond race would have non white important characters amongst their number that are important to the kingdom now since everyone is the same right?

And I bet you I'm not making assumptions. I'm going on history. In WoW you could make a brown human. But there was not one -brown- npc that mattered in any of the faction stories for Stormwind. Not one. No brown heroes, no brown cool generals, etc.

I
    don't
    care
    about
    the
    character
    creator

Will Pantheon, have its npc of color equivalent to Raubahnn Aldynn since there is no longer other human races on Terminus besides default Euro human?

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/raubahn_8526.png

Yes, I said character creation because that was one part of the distinctions. As to the story, we know even less about that so even discussing it at this point is making even bigger assumptions.

This
    is
    a
    ridiculous
    conversation.

edited September 2015
    Dullahan said:
    Yes, I said character creation because that was one part of the distinctions. As to the story, we know even less about that so even discussing it at this point is making even bigger assumptions.

This
    is
    a
    ridiculous
    conversation.
    Only to someone who doesn't care

When everyone looks like you its easy to dismiss the concerns of those who don't.

Maquiame said:
    Dullahan said:

This
    is
    a
    ridiculous
    conversation.

When everyone looks like you its easy to dismiss the concerns of those who don't.
    Another assumption! Now you have me laughing.

If all the "humans" would have been dark skinned and there was no notable figures or even options for creating a pastey man, I never would have even given it a second thought. I don't even think in terms of color like that, especially in a fantasy world. This isn't real life, so you can put aside your racial agenda.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I think he has a right to make a point that is important to him.  It is his perspective.  He would like to play a game with NPCs and story lines with people he can identify with.  It is a perspective and point of view that only people of color can really comprehend.  Even if there is a disagreement, it doesn't hurt to exercise an open mind.  Who is anyone to to disagree with his reality? 

I think he has a right to make a point that is important to him.  It is his perspective.  He would like to play a game with NPCs and story lines with people he can identify with.  It is a perspective and point of view that only people of color can really comprehend.  Even if there is a disagreement, it doesn't hurt to exercise an open mind.  Who is anyone to to disagree with his reality? 
    I simply think we should stick to the update and discussing what we do know and instead of derailing the thread with assumptions about what we think. Perhaps there was some developer discussion that I didn't read, but the 5 paragraphs about humans and few specifics in the World lore don't seem to support the "his reality."

Its one thing to say, "hey, I hope the races have subcultures", but another thing entirely to start a rant based on an assumption.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I like the new take on Gnomes. In every other game they've always been less popular Halflings and/or not as cool as Dwarves. Gnomes needed to be reinvented imo.

That said, leaving out Dark Elves is a HUGE mistake as any experienced fantasy developer will tell you it's easily one of the most popular races of all time, including in EQ. I would say at least half of the races in Pantheon are less of a priority then Dark Elves and this is coming from someone who never plays Dark Elves.
    edited September 2015
    Dullahan said:

I simply think we should stick to the update and discussing what we do know and instead of derailing the thread with assumptions about what we think. Perhaps there was some developer discussion that I didn't read, but the 5 paragraphs about humans and few specifics in the World lore don't seem to support the "his reality."

Its one thing to say, "hey, I hope the races have subcultures", but another thing entirely to start a rant based on an assumption.
    Assumption? I can base my opinion on what I see and I see a typical norn. Feel free to make a post on the official forums to have someone from the team prove me wrong.  So far I don't see anything of a sub culture mentioned.  My rant is about cultures, the thing the original designs had.

As mentioned I like the original designs better. If you enjoy the current ones good for you, I don't.

Oh and I was on the official forums, look for my posts on Humans, I was part of the Human advisory team on the original forums.

But as LacedOpium mentioned. It is a perspective only a people of color can comprehend.

An assumption is based on an incomplete truth. Is there something mentioned in the blurb on humanity about another group on the new website?

No.

You of course keep confusing what I'm saying with the ability to make a character of color.

This has nothing to do with the ability to make a character of color.

If anyone from the team is reading this can you explain why you decided to homogenize the human cultures into typical European influenced norms?

Brad?

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Maquiame said:
    Assumption? I can base my opinion on what I see and I see a typical norn. Feel free to make a post on the official forums to have someone from the team prove me wrong.  So far I don't see anything of a sub culture mentioned.  My rant is about cultures, the thing the original designs had.

As mentioned I like the original designs better. If you enjoy the current ones good for you, I don't.

Oh and I was on the official forums, look for my posts on Humans, I was part of the Human advisory team on the original forums.

But as LacedOpium mentioned. It is a perspective only a people of color can comprehend.

An assumption is based on an incomplete truth. Is there something mentioned in the blurb on humanity about another group on the new website?

No.

You of course keep confusing what I'm saying with the ability to make a character of color.

This has nothing to do with the ability to make a character of color.

If anyone from the team is reading this can you explain why you decided to homogenize the human cultures into typical European influenced norms?

Brad?
    Why are you looking at it from an earthly perspective ? There are multiple races, and each of them have their own culture. There could be other sub-cultures in each of them, or none depending on how the story is intended. Why are you fussing about a lack of sub culture for humans but not gnomes or skars ?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    With all due respect with everyone sensitivity, I find it ridiculus that a thread has being derailed in this manner to argue about racial issues.
    This is just a game, there is enough politically correctness in the world, we don't necessarily need it in a game.

It is a fantasy world, and while I agree that the color of the humans doesn' necessarily have to be white, it should not  matter.
    If someone think is a big issue they should discuss it in the official forums, since Vanguard had Europeans, Africans and Asian sub-races, I am sure Brad and co. are eager to listen.

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Maquiame said:

*rolls eyes*

Maquiame said:

Well, pack it up and go home if you were thinking about supporting this game.  the SJW white knights have set their eyes on it.  

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    ste2000 said:
    With all due respect with everyone sensitivity, I find it ridiculus that a thread has being derailed in this manner to argue about racial issues.
    This is just a game, there is enough politically correctness in the world, we don't necessarily need it in a game.

It is a fantasy world, and while I agree that the color of the humans doesn' necessarily have to be white, it should not  matter.
    If someone think is a big issue they should discuss it in the official forums, since Vanguard had Europeans, Africans and Asian sub-races, I am sure Brad and co. are eager to listen.
    1. I totally agree with your first paragraph.
    2. Unfortunately the official forums are pay to post so what you propose is not possible for non-donators.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited September 2015
    zytin said:
    Maquiame said:

*rolls eyes*

Maquiame said:

Well, pack it up and go home if you were thinking about supporting this game.  the SJW white knights have set their eyes on it.  

Someone using the term SJW = I'm racist and I just want to blame it on you for pointing out something that I don't want to discuss because in my world everyone looks like me.  In another time I was referred to as KKK.

Go away please. The original design had a people of color human group.

Plenty of all white mmos that you can turn to that don't cater to so called SJW's like me. WoW for instance, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Life is Feudal, Albion Online and many others, I think they are calling you. More than enough to for you to play in your lily whites only world and I promise my SJW self will never come to bother you at all.

• zytinzytin Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Maquiame said:
    zytin said:

Someone using the term SJW = I'm racist and I just want to blame it on you for pointing out something that I don't want to discuss because in my world everyone looks like me.  In another time I was referred to as KKK.

Go away please. The original design had a people of color human group.

Plenty of all white mmos that you can turn to that don't cater to so called SJW's like me. WoW for instance, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, Life is Feudal, Albion Online and many others, I think they are calling you. More than enough to for you to play in your lily whites only world and I promise my SJW self will never come to bother you at all.
    Well, I don't know if you're racist or not, though I suppose if in another time you would be considered KKK then, well, I won't tell you what you are or aren't...
This discussion has been closed.