Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak says, "When we're ready, you'll know." | EverQuest Next | MMORPG.com

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:

The problem isn't that we want them to make EQ with better graphics, its that we want them to make an EQ game PERIOD.  EQN was EQ in name only.  The art style was a massive turnaround, the gameplay and core tenets of the game were massive turnarounds.  There was quite literally NOTHING about EQN as presented that in any way, shape, or form, resembled EQ.  Hell, they even changed some of the game's most well known characters, like Firiona Vie, completely... Changed their class, look, etc.

I'm sorry, but i don't care what other people say, EQN is, was, and will always be a spit in the face to the franchise.
    Yes game-play and world design are complete departures. But art style? this is the one that boggles me. EQ's art was by no means a realistic art style, EQ2 is far from realistic in terms of dimensions, it's more or less a combination of cartoon and realism which looks weird as hell in this day and age. EQ-OA was very cartoonish in proportion.
    EQ was a realistic (in terms of fantasy) artstyle.  What i mean by "realistic" is the armor was relatively form fitting, weapons weren't stupidly big, there weren't massive shoulder pads, etc etc etc.  Now granted, some of this was technological limitations, but you could tell the art direction of the game was seated more in reality than in fantasy.  You are correct that EQ2 went to a more cartoon/realism blend, and it was a complaint at the time from EQ fans.  However EQ2 was still an EQ game, the world art style was still more serious than cartoonish, it had all the normal EQ stuff/places in it, etc.

EQN was just a joke, it was clear from the start they were trying for the WOW crowd with the stupid cartoon, stylized caricature graphics.  Big eyes, big shoulders, Big gorilla arms, etc etc.  Then they went and did stuff like turning Firiona Vie (who was a staff wielding enchanter) to a bow weiling ranger type of person.  There was a literal mountain of other changes i could bitch about for days, but i won't.

The end result is EQN became the first time in the history of my 25 years of gaming that i have actually hated something and wanted it to fail because of what it represented.  Other games i hate, but, frankly i dont care if they exist, people are entitled to enjoy things they enjoy.

This game just incenses me, i can't even think about it without getting angry.  EQ was an important part of my formative years and holds a very dear place in my heart.  And seeing what they did / are trying to do to it just gets under my skin, because its an OBVIOUS ploy to bastardize the IP by any means possible in order to make as much money as they can.  None, NONE of the design decisions were made with the idea of making an EQ game in mind.  ALL of them were literally "we have a popular IP, how can we monetize this in the absolute best way possible".  It was never about making an EQ game, it was always about $$$

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I've been in Landmark since early 2014. The pace of development has significantly slowed since Daybreak took over. Landmark is the testing ground for EQN features and is still being used to develop EQN artwork. It was stated the Landmark would get all the developer tools used to create EQN. To date, we are still waiting for scripting and AI features, so there is still a long way to go. For those wanting an estimate on when Daybreak might be ready to make a significant EQN announcement, keep an eye on Landmark. Last year, it was expected that Landmark would be in open beta by now, but I'll be surprised now if it happens before the end of the year. It's a pretty safe bet that Landmark will be in open beta before we get any big EQN announcement, so I would estimate that an EQN release would not occur before 2017. So don't hold your breath waiting on this one.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Hrimnir said:
    Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:

The problem isn't that we want them to make EQ with better graphics, its that we want them to make an EQ game PERIOD.  EQN was EQ in name only.  The art style was a massive turnaround, the gameplay and core tenets of the game were massive turnarounds.  There was quite literally NOTHING about EQN as presented that in any way, shape, or form, resembled EQ.  Hell, they even changed some of the game's most well known characters, like Firiona Vie, completely... Changed their class, look, etc.

I'm sorry, but i don't care what other people say, EQN is, was, and will always be a spit in the face to the franchise.
    Yes game-play and world design are complete departures. But art style? this is the one that boggles me. EQ's art was by no means a realistic art style, EQ2 is far from realistic in terms of dimensions, it's more or less a combination of cartoon and realism which looks weird as hell in this day and age. EQ-OA was very cartoonish in proportion.
    EQ was a realistic (in terms of fantasy) artstyle.  What i mean by "realistic" is the armor was relatively form fitting, weapons weren't stupidly big, there weren't massive shoulder pads, etc etc etc.  Now granted, some of this was technological limitations, but you could tell the art direction of the game was seated more in reality than in fantasy.  You are correct that EQ2 went to a more cartoon/realism blend, and it was a complaint at the time from EQ fans.  However EQ2 was still an EQ game, the world art style was still more serious than cartoonish, it had all the normal EQ stuff/places in it, etc.

EQN was just a joke, it was clear from the start they were trying for the WOW crowd with the stupid cartoon, stylized caricature graphics.  Big eyes, big shoulders, Big gorilla arms, etc etc.  Then they went and did stuff like turning Firiona Vie (who was a staff wielding enchanter) to a bow weiling ranger type of person.  There was a literal mountain of other changes i could bitch about for days, but i won't.

The end result is EQN became the first time in the history of my 25 years of gaming that i have actually hated something and wanted it to fail because of what it represented.  Other games i hate, but, frankly i dont care if they exist, people are entitled to enjoy things they enjoy.

This game just incenses me, i can't even think about it without getting angry.  EQ was an important part of my formative years and holds a very dear place in my heart.  And seeing what they did / are trying to do to it just gets under my skin, because its an OBVIOUS ploy to bastardize the IP by any means possible in order to make as much money as they can.  None, NONE of the design decisions were made with the idea of making an EQ game in mind.  ALL of them were literally "we have a popular IP, how can we monetize this in the absolute best way possible".  It was never about making an EQ game, it was always about $$$
    I agree with one major caveat SOEMOTE, or whatever it is now being re branded as.

This technical solution in search of a problem allowed a players camera to be used to register the players expressions and 'paint' them on the player's in game character (it was trialed in EQ2).  The reason for the large features in EQN was to allow this mapping to appear more visibly as it had failed in EQ2.
  • BazjumpBazjump Member CommonPosts: 1
    ))))))
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Stevon said:
    If they don't give Landmark founders a significant discount or a free EQN beta account... I probably won't be playing.  Landmark launched and many people thought it was EQN and were unpleasantly surprised that it wasn't.

On top of that the main issue I have with EQN was that idiot, can't remember his name, who stood up and gave a speech about how he was "doing away with the holy trinity that no one likes" and received a resounding community wall of silence.   Everquest and EQ2 are founded on that "trinity" of class archetypes and sorry SOE and now Daybreak not many of us want another zergfest no-strategy game.
    sorry, but landmark NEVER claimed to be EQN.
    if you thought that,that is your fault, because it was made quite clear what landmark would be or rather is.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nothing for a long time because they were working on H1Z1 and Landmark.Now we see nothing because they are trying to create cash  flow with the EQ/EQ2 xpacks.

IDK Daybreaks idea for cash flow if it has to be a constant 3-4 month thing or whatever.Point is that after these two xpacks of which i feel will not do very well,what options are left for cash flow?They would have to come up with another fast gimmick like H1Z1 and hope to get lucky or simply rush whatever they can out of EQN.

If my hunch is correct,expect the two xpacks to be out before Christmas.How long will DB go after that and if they do not sell very well,i  think determines how much longer until EQn gets released in an early access state.If they do really well,then likely end of next year if they don't do very well,i wouldn't be surprised to see EQN out by mid summer July sort of timeline.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited September 2015
    The EQ Brand and IP probably has more actual value than Daybreak (the company) does.

If anyone was interested in buying or acquiring MMO properties these days, that could be fun.

Has Funcom got any nibbles? Bueller? Bueller?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Once Daybreak has spent too much money on EQN it will be bought out and current folks will be sending out job applications. Example: ie  Mr. Smedley
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    The EQ Brand and IP probably has more actual value than Daybreak (the company) does.

If anyone was interested in buying or acquiring MMO properties these days, that could be fun.

Has Funcom got any nibbles? Bueller? Bueller?

That's kinda like saying that the IP for G.I. Joe is worth more than the Mattel. EQ is old and dried up and I wouldn be surprised if it was worth more than 10 or 20 million. Oh, and CNs portfolio is worth like $15 Billion, so it's not like they're new or they thought this would be something "cool" to buy. What are their reasons for buying it? I have no idea. They do have a lot of companies that could tie into it, though. They own lots of tech, so it would simply increase the value of those companies in their portfolio as well.  

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I'm not sure that is actually true and doubt the EQ brand really has significant value as some expect.

If it did, then we would have seen multiple serious gaming companies bidding to buy SOE when it was put up for sale.

Instead the only 2 companies involved were a Russian owned investment firm and a startup company whos only client was SOE itself.... and they were somehow able to secure funding to buy SOE.

I think those of us who still enjoy the brand enough to actually play (and eventually pay) are just not significant anymore.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Daffid011 said:

I'm not sure that is actually true and doubt the EQ brand really has significant value as some expect.

If it did, then we would have seen multiple serious gaming companies bidding to buy SOE when it was put up for sale.

Instead the only 2 companies involved were a Russian owned investment firm and a startup company whos only client was SOE itself.... and they were somehow able to secure funding to buy SOE.

I think those of us who still enjoy the brand enough to actually play (and eventually pay) are just not significant anymore.

Making up crap again. You have no clue how many companies put in offers to buy SoE lol. You have no clue what the value is as well as no one knows what SoE sold for. You think that EQ fans that have moved on have lost interest as we are not significant anymore, what you think guess on that matter is worth even less. I no longer play any EQ titles and waiting for EQN to see if its worth playing. Keep chucking conjecture based on hate for EQN and DGC. It means little.  
    Nanfoodle said:
    Daffid011 said:

Making up crap again. You have no clue how many companies put in offers to buy SoE lol. You have no clue what the value is as well as no one knows what SoE sold for. You think that EQ fans that have moved on have lost interest as we are not significant anymore, what you think guess on that matter is worth even less. I no longer play any EQ titles and waiting for EQN to see if its worth playing. Keep chucking conjecture based on hate for EQN and DGC. It means little.  

Why do you constantly tell people they have no clue about something when there is plenty of  information available?

Care to share who else was involved in buyout attempts for SOE?  There are some pretty good sources discussing the 2 companies involved in purchasing discussions. 

Just how many millions and millions of people have to NOT play everquest titles in order to see how little drawing power the IP has anymore?  Tens of millions of new MMOs players joined the genre starting at the height of every Everquests popularity and they all saw steady and heavy drop-offs in populations that never stopped or recovered.

Just how valuable can the EQ property be if a tiny startup company, that lost (in your words) their only developer that had anything to offer and had no other client than the company they were attempting to buy... yet still managed to raise funding to purchase not only the EQ property, but the entire SOE division?

It's funny how you keep calling me a hater to justify your view, yet you don't play any EQ titles and I do. 

• salaciouscrumbssalaciouscrumbs Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Hrimnir said:
    Distopia said:
    Hrimnir said:

I feel exactly the same way. Saved me making a similar post, really. I genuinely feel anger towards EQN. I'm so glad that it might fail, and I can only hope that it will fail horribly. It is an abomination of the MMO world - the culmination of everything that is wrong with modern MMO's. It retains nothing that is good. Literally, no redeeming factors.

The best way that I can describe EQN is as a parody of what made online gaming great - a seemingly deliberate attempt to mock the brand of Everquest and the community that made it great.

Cheers to hoping that it crashes and burns into the fiery pits of gaming hell where it belongs. ;)
    Daffid011 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Daffid011 said:

Why do you constantly tell people they have no clue about something when there is plenty of  information available?

Care to share who else was involved in buyout attempts for SOE?  There are some pretty good sources discussing the 2 companies involved in purchasing discussions. 

Just how many millions and millions of people have to NOT play everquest titles in order to see how little drawing power the IP has anymore?  Tens of millions of new MMOs players joined the genre starting at the height of every Everquests popularity and they all saw steady and heavy drop-offs in populations that never stopped or recovered.

Just how valuable can the EQ property be if a tiny startup company, that lost (in your words) their only developer that had anything to offer and had no other client than the company they were attempting to buy... yet still managed to raise funding to purchase not only the EQ property, but the entire SOE division?

It's funny how you keep calling me a hater to justify your view, yet you don't play any EQ titles and I do. 

Lots of info huh? Ok share, where on the net does it show how many companies bid to buy SoE and it shows only two did so? Where does it say SoE was sold of very little as EQ name is worth so little? My guess is you will not reply with any info to support you crazy claims. As normal you post adds nothing to the forum but general disdain for DGC and EQN. You make the same 3 posts over and over, gotta ask, do you have a template or do you type them out every post?
  • Spooky1013Spooky1013 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I can't wait to play Everquest Next Forever in about 13 years for less time than it takes to install it.

"Farewell remorse, all good to me is gone.. Evil, be Thou my Good."

• iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Daffid:  To be fair SOE didn't go up for sale in the traditional since, since nobody( as in the common man) knew it was for sale until it was sold. We don't know how many if any other prospects looked at the acquisition. How the company was put on the market or any of the details on the sale.  There could have been 20 there could have just been the 2 we know about.  We just don't know one way or the other and claiming there were only 2 or that there were 20 is pure speculation on our parts.

You may not think the EQ IP is worth much but we would have to assume that its worth enough that somebody paid money for at. The only game in the works the company has is EQN. I don't know how profitable the current line of games are, but we can assume they are making money.

I think what nanfoodle is trying to say is making blanket statements when we don't know all of the facts leads us to potentially draw the wrong conclusions and seem as if we are just making stuff up to support our own argument/  I think as far as  internet message boards go, that is the natural order of things. But you have to expect people to call you on blanket statements with no factual support. (much like you do when you catch Nan saying something stupid he cant back up).

• iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92

I feel exactly the same way. Saved me making a similar post, really. I genuinely feel anger towards EQN. I'm so glad that it might fail, and I can only hope that it will fail horribly. It is an abomination of the MMO world - the culmination of everything that is wrong with modern MMO's. It retains nothing that is good. Literally, no redeeming factors.

The best way that I can describe EQN is as a parody of what made online gaming great - a seemingly deliberate attempt to mock the brand of Everquest and the community that made it great.

Cheers to hoping that it crashes and burns into the fiery pits of gaming hell where it belongs. ;)
    It is very hard for you to argue that a stylized art direction is bad for a game.  When you look at EQ or EQ2 or any other number of games that went for more realistic character styles and worlds, they look dated. Even some of the newer games like Rift, The Secret Worls and Elderscrolls characters models just look bad now out of the gate

But then you look at games like Blade & Soul or Terra or FFXIV and they look great right now, but how will they look in 10 years? I guess that depends on what the newer games look like.

Now look at Vanilla WoW and because of its stylized direction it still looks good, they updated some models and the game still holds up years later because of the look and feel they started with. EQ2 for example had IMO the worst looking cat people I have ever seen.  I personally like the exaggerated look and feel of the new characters. Yes they look more manga and less like a a actual cat person, but for me as long as the style can hold up and the game over all looks great I'm happy.

But having a visual art direction is not the end of the world. You know next to nothing about how the game will play and you have already decided  it is an abomination of the MMO world - the culmination of everything that is wrong with modern MMO's. How crap dude.. butt hurt much? It is just an art style. That's a long way to go because you you saw one cat person you didn't like the looks of (though to be honest I am not a huge fan of the over sized shoulder pads and weapons either)

As for they are just after $$$ and don't care about the EQ IP. That is just about as ridiculous a statement as I can think of. They already have 2 theme park EQ MMO's why not remake the world and try from a re-imagined EQ? They have already said they are looking to make the same game again but something new and different.  I don't understand how people and hate the idea of change so much they are are blind to the bigger picture.

• AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    TemperHS said:
    Hopefully they take the time to provide decent servers once it is up and running.

Planetside 2 has been an absolute mess ever since Daybreak took over, the servers struggle every day during primetime. Connection issues are the most common complaint on the forums, by far, and Daybreak does absolutely nothing to try and rectify the situation. It's very disheartening.
    I hope too. EQ2 has always been laggy to me, even playing in EU severs :(

^.^'

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Stevon said:
    If they don't give Landmark founders a significant discount or a free EQN beta account... I probably won't be playing.  Landmark launched and many people thought it was EQN and were unpleasantly surprised that it wasn't.

On top of that the main issue I have with EQN was that idiot, can't remember his name, who stood up and gave a speech about how he was "doing away with the holy trinity that no one likes" and received a resounding community wall of silence.   Everquest and EQ2 are founded on that "trinity" of class archetypes and sorry SOE and now Daybreak not many of us want another zergfest no-strategy game.
    ^^ THIS IS EVERYTHING ^^
    Stevon said:

^^ THIS IS EVERYTHING ^^
    This has always been my main concern with EQN. GW2 and other action MMOs turn into a zerg fest. I even sent Dave a tweet asking how EQN will not end up like GW2 zerg game play. He tweeted back they had a plan and it would not be like GW2 game play. On this I have my doubts. I sure hope they do have a plan of action on this that will amount to something lol. Myself, I would rather they went with old school trinity, Tank, Support, CC. 
    edited September 2015
    iatesand said:
    Daffid:  To be fair SOE didn't go up for sale in the traditional since, since nobody( as in the common man) knew it was for sale until it was sold. We don't know how many if any other prospects looked at the acquisition. How the company was put on the market or any of the details on the sale.  There could have been 20 there could have just been the 2 we know about.  We just don't know one way or the other and claiming there were only 2 or that there were 20 is pure speculation on our parts.

You may not think the EQ IP is worth much but we would have to assume that its worth enough that somebody paid money for at. The only game in the works the company has is EQN. I don't know how profitable the current line of games are, but we can assume they are making money.

I think what nanfoodle is trying to say is making blanket statements when we don't know all of the facts leads us to potentially draw the wrong conclusions and seem as if we are just making stuff up to support our own argument/  I think as far as  internet message boards go, that is the natural order of things. But you have to expect people to call you on blanket statements with no factual support. (much like you do when you catch Nan saying something stupid he cant back up).

You bring up some really good points, I would like to expand on them.

First, I just don't think the EQ property is anywhere near the "goldmine" that some people think it is or SOE sold for 100+ million or that anyone looked at Landmark/EQN a couple of years ago and thought it was going to be a massive success. There is certainly value to the EQ property, but I think many of us with rose colored nostalgia glasses over value what it is.

As for the sale of SOE, what you say is true in most traditional cases, but this appears to be how game companies are sold.  They are shopped around quietly and the first word to the public is usually the press release that a deal has been made and the company was sold/purchased.  The sale of SOE went along those lines, so there is no reason to suspect Sony didn't shop the company around to plenty of prospects.

Expanding on that with what we know from Storybricks, etc about what went on from their experience. 

-SOE had been up for sale for a long time.  Pretty significant

-Storybricks actually attempted to buy SOE, but was unwilling to give Sony what they were requesting.

-There may have been other interested parties, but none enough to make a deal (see above).

-Eventually Sony altered what they were asking for SOE in order to make a deal, but by that time Storybrick investors were no longer interested, even at the new (presumably lowered) terms offered by Sony.

Do we know every specific detail, no.  Do we know enough to have "some clue", I think so.

Assuming a best case scenario that fits the facts we know, plenty of companies looked into purchasing SOE, but none pulled the trigger.  Thus SOE was up for sale for a long time and eventually the price/terms were lowered.  Even then were trying to persuade a start up company of less than 10 people to buy them.  That speaks pretty loudly about where this deal was at.

Post edited by Daffid011 on
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Good for them.  A daily briefing isn't required.   Let them develop.

I self identify as a monkey.

Nanfoodle said:
    Lots of info huh? Ok share, where on the net does it show how many companies bid to buy SoE and it shows only two did so? Where does it say SoE was sold of very little as EQ name is worth so little? My guess is you will not reply with any info to support you crazy claims. As normal you post adds nothing to the forum but general disdain for DGC and EQN. You make the same 3 posts over and over, gotta ask, do you have a template or do you type them out every post?

I remember you calling people liars, haters and having "no clue" when they were discussing that Daybreak fired nearly 50% of their employees.  Even after you were linked the information from inside sources that confirmed the numbers.  Even after you were linked the SEC filing that also confirmed the numbers.

It is ok that we have different conclusions.  You avoid answering questions I pose to you, so don't expect me to answer your demands. 

edited September 2015
    Daffid011 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I remember you calling people liars, haters and having "no clue" when they were discussing that Daybreak fired nearly 50% of their employees.  Even after you were linked the information from inside sources that confirmed the numbers.  Even after you were linked the SEC filing that also confirmed the numbers.

It is ok that we have different conclusions.  You avoid answering questions I pose to you, so don't expect me to answer your demands. 

Forget it, back peddle much? Cant find footing so you going on about a conversation about a year ago. lol

P.S. and like I said, I knew if you replied it would be with no facts to back up your wild claims lol
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    edited September 2015
    For some reason I got the impression that it would be awhile before we actually saw the game. Like, they were confident enough to announce it was coming, but weren't far along enough to say that it was coming anytime soon. I was thinking more like the next few years. Bill's timing fits my thinking though, I was just yesterday wondering about EQNext's release.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall