Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From a business stand point, Old School players too

2»

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    DarLorkar said:
    Heh. they made like millions and  millions on sales alone off of expac.  I would say that they will not want to change how they are working at all until that is no longer true.

Ya fluctuating subs not great...but making hundred million + off expansions take lot of the worry out of those sub number fluctuations.

True, why mess with a good thing right ?

HOWEVER, they could offer an alternative path to the existing one.  Have both.

- Alternative zones that have harder content if you chose to enter.

- Dungeons starting at low level that are hard and long, where you have a choice to play or not.

- New servers having the harder content within the same game.  This could cause havoc, everyone will switch. The way I see it........It would be worth it with millions of returnees.  

If I alone sitting here in the dark at 5:30 AM can come up with a few ideas, just think what Blizzard can do.

Blizzard can take their Gold Mine and double it.....How can they not see that ?

they dropped 40 mans, because they werent cost effective (no surprise to most of us)

this would be even worse, as it would interfere with the normal content

they wont do it...ever

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Hate to break the bad news, but there are no Old Schoolers anymore... plenty of games (including WoW) have tried to cater to them, they don't come.  If they do come, they go "Meh, been there done that, so not doing that again."

Reality check my friend, the days of MMORPGs are pretty much over.  Sure, they will continue to exist, but in NO WAY OR FORM at the level they did 10+ years ago.  That train has long since left.  You keep looking for something that no longer exists and will not exist again for a long long long time.  In another words, your grandkids may see the day when they return to their former glory, but by then you won't even care about video games at all.

How many threads are you going to post lamenting over the same damn thing... "I have nothing to play" is the gist of your posts no matter how you word it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I never thought anything of Blizzard ever but have paid close attention to how they operate over the last 5 years.
    Having seen how they develop games i would say they are not interested in anything old school or even capturing ideas,they seem to be aiming for markets.

They jumped in on the TCG market because SOE dropped out and it had no big player.They jumped in on the Esport scene because that has always been a big option for them so henceforth came HOTS.

Aside from that they just keep rehashing old ideas bound to the Warcraft theme.It really shows they are afraid to branch out,they still keep going with the Warcraft heroes and ideas and finding as market to make it fit.

After now seeing Overwatch i think my original thought process was pretty accurate.I said the Titan was likely something to do with the Redneck Rampage game they bought out.seeing OW is still those same cartoon type graphics and silliness like RNR was i think at least the idea was similar.What they are aiming for with OW imo is just another Esport but it is imo so silly it won't make it as a fps esport.

My long winded point was that Blizzard execs don't sit down and think "let's make a really great game" they simply aim for a market they feel can be profitable.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Pepeq said:
    Hate to break the bad news, but there are no Old Schoolers anymore... plenty of games (including WoW) have tried to cater to them, they don't come.  If they do come, they go "Meh, been there done that, so not doing that again."

Reality check my friend, the days of MMORPGs are pretty much over.  Sure, they will continue to exist, but in NO WAY OR FORM at the level they did 10+ years ago.  That train has long since left.  You keep looking for something that no longer exists and will not exist again for a long long long time.  In another words, your grandkids may see the day when they return to their former glory, but by then you won't even care about video games at all.

How many threads are you going to post lamenting over the same damn thing... "I have nothing to play" is the gist of your posts no matter how you word it.

there are still some old schoolers left, but most of them are not as hardcore, as they used to be

age, kids, jobs, house..you know the drill

they simply got outnumbered the day wow opened the gates to the rest of the world

they may have the money, and the experience, but they cant make up for all the younger,

more casual players

money talks..bull..... walks

PS AFAIK , most of the "old school" mmos(, EQ1, EVE ,DAOC) are still out there

why not play those?

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Vanilla WoW is where my heart is...that's why. I think, at least ONE server dedicated to those original fans could be quite profitable. Just support it normally through regular channels....and don't update it...EVER. I'd be one subscriber they would keep because, guess what? I'd play both versions of wow...current and vanilla. Now...to just reproduce that original community...hmm
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    From what I recall reading the OP's previous posts and threads he has never played Everquest when it released in 1999. So bearing that in mind I would like to also point out what the philosophy of Blizzard was when they released WoW. They wanted to make a game that would appeal to EQ players but be more easily accessible. 

WoW succeeded in this beyond their wildest dreams and as the years marched on they have progressively been changing the game to make it more easy as they are doing this for their player base. The group they originally catered for and which they made a slightly tough game mind you nothing like the hardcore game Everquest was has all but disappeared. This player base no longer play WoW. Even if they do they are probably there out of habit and must be a very small number.

I doubt there is a profit to be made from the group that originally came from Everquest. They would have left WoW a long time ago. I did. 

Blizzard is not dumb they look at the bottom line always .They release an expansion they get millions back to subscribe and they lose them in 6 months but they make money each time. It's profitable for them to keep doing what they are doing because predictably millions come back for each expansion. Why fiddle with something that already works ? They know what they are doing. It's us they people who enjoyed vanilla WoW that continue to dream about a return to the old WoW. I doubt it will happen but never say never I mean look at EQ 2 with their TLE servers . I would have never bet on that a year ago. Now I'm on Stormhold having the time of my life and so happy to be playing again.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I think Blizzard likes to make their games in a way that most people playing will be able to experience all the content. If there is content that is hard or has a steep barrier to entry or is hidden, then unfortunately most wow players won't experience it. But those are some the elements that makes games fun imo.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    edited October 2015
    I keep hearing people asking for Vanilla WoW?  If it just remained as Vanilla WoW, wouldn't you be bored of it after 10 years of the same thing?  I think it's like those who split from a partner and then dream about the good old days - it's not the same as it was before even if you go back. 
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    People who care about vanilla wow are tiny insignificant number. Nobody cares. 

When I look back at the old days I laugh at how shitty the game was. No I dont want to play my paladin with 2 broken talent trees, casting single target blessings with 5 minute duration on 40 people again.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    simplius said:

they dropped 40 mans, because they werent cost effective (no surprise to most of us)

this would be even worse, as it would interfere with the normal content

they wont do it...ever

History and fact has no place in this thread, sir. *waggles finger*

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    danwest58 said:
    Loke666 said:
    Hardcore expansion? to get about 5-10K players who will drive away 5 million? yeah never happening.
    I get the impression that OP think that vanilla Wow was "old school hardcore" and going back towards that part might not be a bad idea. Clearly has the direction Wow moved to the last 2 expansions not worked particularly well.

We who think of EQ, M59 and UO as old school hardcore do of course see that Wow moving towards that wont get millions of players (but I think 500K is far more likely than 5-10K). That wont happening.

Going back to it's roots is a good choice when you start to loose players fast. Going far beyond the roots in the opposite direction you moved a long time isn't wise since you will turn off your current players and you can't be sure the new intended audience will play the game anyways.

Going back towards vanilla and TBC would also turn away mor ethan a few new players but you would also get back some old ones, possibly fr more than the new ones you loose.

Problem is Blizzard cannot take a risk like this because they want to make it fun for the most casual player just so they can get new players.
    I'd be curious to see if WoW even attracts new players because i don't see it and i think the numbers reflect that. New players are just not replacing the old ones like they used to. There are other more niche options for those players, which Blizzard is also in on.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Xarko said:

When I look back at the old days I laugh at how shitty the game was. No I dont want to play my paladin with 2 broken talent trees, casting single target blessings with 5 minute duration on 40 people again.
    I disagree, and nobody knows what that number is. From my perspective, my guild has logged on every expansion...for a shorter time each run. Same players. Same people. There were not just three people there on launch day in Vanilla, a lot of those people are still playing. It does nobody a service to state something of a group a people, number-wise, with absolutely no evidence. There are a significant number of vanilla lovers, but there are significantly more nay-sayers...thus goes modern WoW. I still play Vanilla, and I would pay Blizzard money to bring it back.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Xarko said:

Did you even read the post ?

Nothing in it about Vanilla WoW, except it's not happening.  It's about an alternate path in the same game as one of there expansions.

To capture everyone, both easy and hard !.....win win for everyone :)

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Hardcore expansion? to get about 5-10K players who will drive away 5 million? yeah never happening.
    Please don't try to bring some business sense to this discussion or you can be reported for going off topic.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.