Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I played a little today.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I decided to play a little today because of the recent steam launch and here is what happened.  I went to the main city square and saw someone trying to gain control of a horse they lost.  So I tamed the horse for myself then started riding it.  Then told the player to get out of my way and dismounted.  Then I killed the horse with my spear as the other person watched in horror.  Then they called me a psycho and started ranting.  So I laughed and ran out of the town.

Then there was a hostile player outside shooting everyone he saw with his bow and riding a horse.  So I went out and danced around a tree trying to fight him and ended up dying.  Then I went to the graveyard and 1 shot a player who was about to die at the hands of a zombie.  And I then proceeded to attack random players at the graveyard until I was slaughtered.

So I resurrected at a shrine outside of town to find some noob standing there with a sword hacking everyone who showed up.  I ran away into the tall grass and went to sleep and he couldn't find me.  Not many games will you get this much to talk about after only an hour of gameplay.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Sounds like a terrible grief-fest. Thanks for the warning.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Robokapp said:
    Theely said:
    casual detected.
    "Hardcore" detected...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MMOvisionMMOvision Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited September 2015
    OP, Can you list the games you play so I can avoid them?  I'm a seasoned EVE player and still cannot stomach players like you.   You troll just for the sake of trolling?  You saw someone trying to accomplish something in game, and then ruined it intentionally.    And then to rub it in their face, you killed the horse just to show you didn't actually need it.   They raged at you and I'm guessing you pleasured yourself with their tears.

You really don't think there's something wrong with you or players like you filling up this genre? 

This is a prime example of why some of us 'mmo vets' are sick to death of today's gaming community.   How fair is it to those of us that just want to enjoy the game the company's created for us?  

Why are you playing multiplayer games? 
    Why do you enjoy ruining fun for others?
    Why aren't you taking your medication?

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    This thread is a great example as to why I won't play trash like this. These games could be so great if not for the crap community they attract.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,378
    The game blows nuggets.....

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

MMOvision said:
    Why aren't you taking your medication?

lol!

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    someone has to play the bad guy... 
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Theely said:
    I dunno, sounds like he posted this just to get your exact reaction from people. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited September 2015
    Loktofeit said:
    Theely said:
    I dunno, sounds like he posted this just to get your exact reaction from people. 
    Bingo. . from game to forum. . he just killed the some posters forum horse . . . he doesn't have to spear it though . . the rest of the thread will do that :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Aethaeryn said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Theely said:
    Bingo. . from game to forum. . he just killed the some posters forum horse . . . he doesn't have to spear it though . . the rest of the thread will do that :)

That doesn't negate the reality of the state of the current PvP player mindset in games that offer said gameplay.  If anything, it reinfroces it.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Aethaeryn said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Theely said:

That doesn't negate the reality of the state of the current PvP player mindset in games that offer said gameplay.  If anything, it reinfroces it.
    This must be an internet thing because in real life no one says crazy things like that. 

Person A: OMG, did you see that Bristol Palin said that Alaska is on the moon? What an idiot! Maybe she can throw a rock at it, like her mother does! LOL
    Person B: Why would you say something like that other than to start trouble?
    Person C: Well, that doesn't negate the reality that she says stupid things. 

So, a person makes up devisive bullcrap, and instead of getting a slap on the wrist or a smack in the back of the head for looking to stir up trouble, people like you defend the guy, dismissing the behavior because it supports their views, despite it being lies just to start trouble. You've got a very unique logic, Laced. A very internet forum logic. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

What I did today was actually a very minor grief compared to what others are doing in this game.  The game is very flawed and the justice system is easily exploited and the moderators ignore it.  For every time I have laughed my ass off there has been 100 times I have gotten mad at the mechanics and moderators for not changing it.  I would not suggest playing this game seriously at all.  This is the kind of game you just log in troll for a while then go play a real game.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MMOvisionMMOvision Member UncommonPosts: 112
    filmoret said:

What I did today was actually a very minor grief compared to what others are doing in this game.  The game is very flawed and the justice system is easily exploited and the moderators ignore it.  For every time I have laughed my ass off there has been 100 times I have gotten mad at the mechanics and moderators for not changing it.  I would not suggest playing this game seriously at all.  This is the kind of game you just log in troll for a while then go play a real game.

Still the question remains.... why do people get enjoyment from "...you just log in troll for a while then go play a real game"

Why is trolling something to gain enjoyment from at all?
    Why can I not get someone to prove that trolling isn't just the new-gen of sh!tty, childish gamers?
    "Stop looking through rose tinted glasses" <--  this is the only response given by those who don't have an answer to very basic questions.     I don't need to make up stories about the wonderful 'old days of gaming' --   It's very easy to remember that the few "trolls" that showed up in a community were swiftly dealt with, ignored, banned, not partied with, could not progress, etc....

These people just FLOURISH in today's games.   And people defend their "right to troll"

Since when did trolling become the only enjoyable means to interact with others?!?

This is driving me nuts how no one else is deeply disturbed by this OP's mindset...
    MMOvision said:
    filmoret said:

Still the question remains.... why do people get enjoyment from "...you just log in troll for a while then go play a real game"

Why can I not get someone to prove that trolling isn't just the new-gen of sh!tty, childish gamers?
    "Stop looking through rose tinted glasses" <--  this is the only response given by those who don't have an answer to very basic questions.     I don't need to make up stories about the wonderful 'old days of gaming' --   It's very easy to remember that the few "trolls" that showed up in a community were swiftly dealt with, ignored, banned, not partied with, could not progress, etc....

These people just FLOURISH in today's games.   And people defend their "right to troll"

Since when did trolling become the only enjoyable means to interact with others?!?

This is driving me nuts how no one else is deeply disturbed by this OP's mindset...
    The majority feel as you do. We are just tired of posting it.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Loktofeit said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    Loktofeit said:
    Theely said:

This must be an internet thing because in real life no one says crazy things like that. 

Person A: OMG, did you see that Bristol Palin said that Alaska is on the moon? What an idiot! Maybe she can throw a rock at it, like her mother does! LOL
    Person B: Why would you say something like that other than to start trouble?
    Person C: Well, that doesn't negate the reality that she says stupid things. 

So, a person makes up devisive bullcrap, and instead of getting a slap on the wrist or a smack in the back of the head for looking to stir up trouble, people like you defend the guy, dismissing the behavior because it supports their views, despite it being lies just to start trouble. You've got a very unique logic, Laced. A very internet forum logic. 

I'm not basing my response solely on the OPs post.  I am basing my response on what I know to be the truth according to my experience with the current PvP game play in games that offer it. The state of the current PvP player mindset in games that offer that type of game play now days basically boils down to nothing but ganking and trolling.  That's just my opinion.  It is not my intent to speak for everyone.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    MMOvision said:
    filmoret said:

The vast amount of players like this attracted to so called sandbox games like this ruin the possibility of ever having another Ultima Online experience. Sandbox MMO's are all about community, and with the toxic cesspool that is the internet these days it is simply impossible to have a good one anymore.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    My one hour of glory from launch:

Logged in with my character stuck halfway in the ground.  The first asset drawn on my screen, a giant dong, right in my face.  Looked around, completely surrounded by dongs.  After getting unstuck I was able to leave camp and head out into the forest where I saw a guy mining a boulder.  While trying to figure out how to mine, I accidentally punched the guy in the back of the head.  I quickly hid behind a tree before he turned to see what hit him.  Just as he turned to resume his business I got knocked over by a guy on a horse, he killed me before I was able to get up and figure out what had happened.

I respawned at a camp in the middle of a desert.  I couldn't tell where I was in relation to my original position.  I ran for about 10 minutes in a random direction where I was promptly killed by some kind of giant scorpion.  Logged out, never played again.

In hindsight this was kind of a fun memory.  Had the game played a little better I may have stuck around.
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    I am honestly tempted to try this again now that it has hit steam just because I want to think that maybe, just maybe, this game could have gotten at least slightly better than it was when I played it before.

But the question is, how much do I want to hate myself in the morning...
  • Fly666monkeyFly666monkey Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Viper482 said:
    MMOvision said:
    filmoret said:

The vast amount of players like this attracted to so called sandbox games like this ruin the possibility of ever having another Ultima Online experience. Sandbox MMO's are all about community, and with the toxic cesspool that is the internet these days it is simply impossible to have a good one anymore.
    I hate to break it to you, but this is EXACTLY what pre-Tram UO was like. It was a slaughterhouse, and a haven for hackers and exploiters. People being jerks on the internet is not a new thing.
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    This is why i avoid any game that says it's Sandbox
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    MMOvision said:

Because "people" are people?

Not to get too real, but the world is full of pretty terrible individuals that make up pretty nasty groups. I do not doubt that a lot of "good" people wouldn't cross the line if given a chance.

All it takes is for the fear of punishment to be removed just a little and people go crazy on one another. Much like rioting due to a sporting match or police shooting. Be it they feel justified or whatever, seems many believe they should do whatever they feel like if they won't be caught or if everyone else is doing it.

"We won the game, lets celebrate! Oh look some guys are pushing over a car, lets do that too!" The amount of trolling/griefing in real life is a lot more serious than anything that might happen to pixels in a game.

The internet removes the majority if not all accountability. Gaming is not immune.

Give someone a space to be themselves unhindered by moral, ethical, legal, social consequences and we get what we have. We all love to laugh and unfortunately laughing at others seems to fuel a fire.

I don't believe someone can be "griefed" in a game like MO. However a game can be designed to allow for such actions to happen and make for a pretty poor experience unless you too feel the need to act out online. Be it because it is funny, exciting, or whatever. You choose to play such a game, accept it for what it is.

PVP aka competition can work fine given a proper design and supervision. Sports, stock market, chess, etc. All forms of PVP that can go wonky if not maintained, but if they are, quite a lot of fun for many.

MO and similar games are simply poor designs. They pretend to be "real" or "hardcore" experiences, but when there is little to no consequence for actions, not very real to me. Much the same for games that focus on "consequence" "sandbox" "players are the content." At the end of the day either players are kept in line or there is chaos and pointlessness.

Clearly someone that doesn't want to partake in such mindlessness shouldn't play, but doesn't mean that a PVP game couldn't be designed and managed in a way that would actually be entertaining to a wider audience and wouldn't just be mindless trolling just to get a reaction out of someone. Unfortunately most games aren't trying to serve some greater entertainment purpose, they are just trying to house and drain as many wallets as they can before people jump ship.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Mortal online could have been a very good game, but the f2p is too restricting and too many players like the OP whose only thrills in life are ruining it for others.
    AnnaTS said:
    This is why i avoid any game that says it's Sandbox
    Exactly

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    To be fair, this game using the sandbox tag is about as fair as Call of Duty calling itself a roleplaying game.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Mortal online could have been a very good game, but the f2p is too restricting and too many players like the OP whose only thrills in life are ruining it for others.
    I could have told you about this game a few years ago.  Its another failed attempt at resurrecting Pre T2A UO.