Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Blizzard save WoW with Legions?

mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
I used to be really into WoW and then with the last couple of expansions, I headed towards the casual group, partly because real life stuff is busy and partly because the game didn't grip me.

You'd have to be a very narrow-minded Blizzard exec to not figure out where it's all going wrong as people are quick to point out the WoW failings and many are aligned with the issues.

So, will Blizzard take things back a few notches with Legions, to a time and type of game that people enjoyed more or are they just doing their thing, milking the cow until it's dead?

If Legions isn't the big improvement on things that the game needs, then I think the number of subscriptions will be decimated to the point they'll end up going F2P and rely on the cash shop to fund their mini patches.

Comments

• Alpha_ChinoAlpha_Chino Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Wow=Cow,  Cows make milk.  Milk slowly turns into cheese.  Cheese is loved by some , shunned by some. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited September 2015
    nope not in the long run. they will most likely run sub uintil the cost of development exceeds income and then they will either cut the cost of the sub or simply sunset the game. 

I have a hard time seeing them going through the cost of adapting WoW for free to play... Unless they go really free to play.. as in no sub bt no cash shop.. But i find that very unlikely. 

As for content. You do not pull in new players by being convoluted just for the sake of being convoluted. What we take for granted are actually fairly complex mechanics. 

This have been a good conversation

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    dont think WoW needs saving.. sure it's changed into a game  i dont really enjoy anymore but i'll probably check out the new expac along with lots of others that dont actively play it. i just hope they quit that yearly expac nonsense especially if they're going to charge 60$ for it

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    edited September 2015
    dont think WoW needs saving.. sure it's changed into a game  i dont really enjoy anymore but i'll probably check out the new expac along with lots of others that dont actively play it. i just hope they quit that yearly expac nonsense especially if they're going to charge 60$ for it
    I don't think it necessarily needs saving either. It's still one of the top competitors on the market. Even if they're down a few million or whatever the number was.

However, I do like the speed of the new content being pushed out. That I will disagree with. Legion may just make me resub.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Whilst some of you think WoW does not need saving, the point is that any business that has customer numbers reducing month on month in vast numbers, does need some serious attention to stem the flow BEFORE it really needs open heart surgery.

It's easier to adjust the wings of an aircraft when it's slightly off course than it is to recover a vertical dive.  I would expect Blizzard to be working hard to recover those numbers before it's a huge mess because it would probably have to reduce costs massively if the subs were not coming in i.e. layoff staff, sell IT equipment etc - better to just keep and recover the customers before it gets to that stage, which was my point really.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Yeah wow doesn't need saving when just there more and more mmo coming out people just spreading out more and find new thing they enjoy.

And there number just going get lower lower but still have more player then any mmo still for very long time.

But one thing I'm am seeing the same people that was trying sell people WoD are doing again with Legion, on how good going to be just get you to buy the game.

edited September 2015
    mark2123 said:
    Whilst some of you think WoW does not need saving, the point is that any business that has customer numbers reducing month on month in vast numbers, does need some serious attention to stem the flow BEFORE it really needs open heart surgery.

It's easier to adjust the wings of an aircraft when it's slightly off course than it is to recover a vertical dive.  I would expect Blizzard to be working hard to recover those numbers before it's a huge mess because it would probably have to reduce costs massively if the subs were not coming in i.e. layoff staff, sell IT equipment etc - better to just keep and recover the customers before it gets to that stage, which was my point really.
     @mark2123 ;

They're fix right now is the next expansion. They knew Illidan is immensely popular. Incorporating the Demon Hunter class is going to draw back an exponential amount of individuals. As simple as it seems, that factor alone in the expansion will help drastically.

For one, it's polly going to lure me back and I'm a hard customer to sell to at this point with this game. I was playing it back in beta.

All the other features coming in the next expansion are just added fluff that I'm actually intrigued by as well. (ie; artifact weapons with customization).

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited September 2015
    Mark... Churn is churn.. Every product has it. especially if it is 10+ years old. I am sure that Blizzard have a calculation on how many players they expect to lose each month/year. There is litterally nothing they can do to regain the peak sub numbers for any length of time... The market is much more saturated and fatigue happens to everyone. What catapulted WoW to begin with was capturing a generation at the very right time. No MMO will likely ever do that again... Or at least not for a long time. Maybe the VR mmo´s will see a similar game rise to prominence. 

This have been a good conversation

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    World of Warcraft DOES need saving, at least if blizzard wants the game to stay the forerunner in the MMo market and to give them a large deal of profits. The fact its subscriber numbers are at an all time low only seen back during Vanilla when the game was new, it just shows how much of a decline it is.

Given the game flops again in legion, most likely the subscription numbers would only slide down further, with a huge disappointment like WoD it could be likely we see numbers drop to 2-3 million. It has a larger team working on it then before, purposely from what we have found out in order to pump out the horrible yearly expansions to rake in more cash from the individual player. While a drop of subs can be made up for in some part by more up front cash being charged, eventually those declining subscriptions will hurt the company with the rapid release of expansions not providing as much money as having better quality and more subscribers steadily paying into the game. 

If the game doesn't provide a good expansion in legion, there is a good chance we will see more nickle and diming from blizzard while providing less service in exchange. It won't kill the MMo, but it will for sure diminish the experience and make it difficult for the game to garnish anywhere near the hype it had before. People came back for WoD to give it a chance only to be burned, most people aren't willing to get burnt again. The more blizzard pushes WoW in the wrong direction, the worst off the game will be and the more difficult it will be for wow to ever be as profitable or have as high of a population then it had ever again.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I also believe WoW DOES need saving, but i don't believe Blizzard will do much to do so. They took a chance and changed the game towards 'Zynga model', which didn't turn out to be any more successful than the older model they had pre-cata. Now they either have to invest huge amount of time and money to change it back to what it once was, which doesn't guarantee subs will start to go up again, or they can continue on the current path, release annual expansions and charge their players for extra services and virtual items until the players lose interest and finally quit for good.

I'm willing to bet for the latter.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    WOW will not be saved at all.  They have chosen to go with the ultra casual players because they think that the ultra casual players is their best market.  Yet 6 years of going with this crowded has failed.  So why not tack on 2 more years of this.  
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    danwest58 said:
    WOW will not be saved at all.  They have chosen to go with the ultra casual players because they think that the ultra casual players is their best market.  Yet 6 years of going with this crowded has failed.  So why not tack on 2 more years of this.  
    Really? I always thought of FFXIV as a casual players paradise. Maybe they both are.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    edited September 2015
    Depends on what you mean by "saving". If they don't release Legion this year then it will be the "death" of WoW "as we know it", which is "the MMORPG with several millions of players". But that might not be a bad thing, by the time they release Legion(seems like they are going for a release close to movie release date) WoW will have about 1-2 million players left and these crowd will be quite dedicated to the vision where Blizzard is trying to take WoW now. With draenor pathfinder and the news that Legion and future expansions will not have flight at launch and flight will have to be earned and classes will now be more lore specific and each specialization will now feel and play like totally different and unique from each other, there will be removal of abilities/skills that doesn't fit the class lore, it is clear WoW is trying to go back to roots. We shall have to see.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

danwest58 said:
    Really? I always thought of FFXIV as a casual players paradise. Maybe they both are.
    Yes and no, to FFXIV. Most of the content can be don casually. But the raids are far from casual.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Purutzil said:
    World of Warcraft DOES need saving, at least if blizzard wants the game to stay the forerunner in the MMo market and to give them a large deal of profits. The fact its subscriber numbers are at an all time low only seen back during Vanilla when the game was new, it just shows how much of a decline it is.

Given the game flops again in legion, most likely the subscription numbers would only slide down further, with a huge disappointment like WoD it could be likely we see numbers drop to 2-3 million. It has a larger team working on it then before, purposely from what we have found out in order to pump out the horrible yearly expansions to rake in more cash from the individual player. While a drop of subs can be made up for in some part by more up front cash being charged, eventually those declining subscriptions will hurt the company with the rapid release of expansions not providing as much money as having better quality and more subscribers steadily paying into the game. 

If the game doesn't provide a good expansion in legion, there is a good chance we will see more nickle and diming from blizzard while providing less service in exchange. It won't kill the MMo, but it will for sure diminish the experience and make it difficult for the game to garnish anywhere near the hype it had before. People came back for WoD to give it a chance only to be burned, most people aren't willing to get burnt again. The more blizzard pushes WoW in the wrong direction, the worst off the game will be and the more difficult it will be for wow to ever be as profitable or have as high of a population then it had ever again.

I think that there are a lot of misleading assumptions here. First of all, WoW subscriptions reached a peak as high as any expansions since WotLK, in WoD. Prior to that, subs still hit 10 million during their peak (for Cata and Panda). For that matter, Panda actually surpassed the 10.2 million subs of Cata for a time. 

It's not so much that people are losing all faith in WoW. People still want to play WoW, but it's no longer the ONLY game they play. Sub numbers fall off as people cycle in and out of games. That, coupled with gameplay changes that many felt were game-breaking like trivializing professions, adding in the garrisons, removing the skill tree, etc. Fact is, though, it's still one of the most compelling stories. 

Also, you're eluding to a slippery slope, but it's sub numbers have never been less than double that of their next closest competitor and probably no less than 10 times that of the #3 subscription game. I'm really sorry, but that's kind of like saying that Wal-Mart is in trouble because they're getting a bad reputation for these "People of Walmart" so they are surely going to lose tons of customers. 

Another problem with the whole subscriber theory is "Where the hell do these subscribers go?" The number of MMORPG gamers isn't growing THAT substantially that between each WoW expansion there are like 3 million or more new MMORPG, sub, gamers. No other game is, suddenly, seeing increases of millions of users. No, these are people returning to WoW again and again. Staying and playing through and then leaving again and probably playing other games. The fact that they can't keep people entertained long enough is definitely an issue, but it's not bad considering they have 10 million+ subscribers in each of their past 4 expansions. That's JUST about as good as it gets. The biggest problem WoW has right now is making their content compelling enough to have people stick around between expansions. THAT is a problem I'd love to have as an MMORPG developer. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I dont know why people offer "tips" to a game that has x5 the number of some of the 2nd best MMOs on the market. Okay, WoW lost 7-8 million subs. What game do you know has ever had 12-13 million subscribers past or present? For that fact, what game do you know even has 5-6 million subs? Yeah the game is repetitive as hell but its still the best game on the market, numbers wise.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    No. This expansion, similar to Heart of Thorns, feels like a rushed Hail Mary pass to me.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    JakeSim said:
    danwest58 said:
    Yes and no, to FFXIV. Most of the content can be don casually. But the raids are far from casual.
    We can also add that FFXIV requires you to do the boss mechanics unlike WOW where you can stand in fire and tunnel the boss and blame the healer if you die.  In FFXIV if you dont get out of shit consistently you die and you cannot blame the healer because 1 shot mechanics are not the healers fault.  WOW does not want 1 shot mechanics people more people would leave the game.  Just look at Cata.  
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    This assumes that WoW needs saved, which it does not. 
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Wow=Cow,  Cows make milk.  Milk slowly turns into cheese.  Cheese is loved by some , shunned by some. 

This might be the worst analogy these forums has ever seen.

Anyways I see the game getting worse with Legions, not better. It will be the most rushed expansion in WoW history when they see how many more will unsub in the upcoming months. It already feels rushed with Demon Hunters having 2 specs and 1 race allowed. Endgame will be underdeveloped and players will be even more unforgiving with Blizzard then before.

As many have predicted the WoW killer will be WoW itself.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    danwest58 said:
    JakeSim said:
    danwest58 said:
    We can also add that FFXIV requires you to do the boss mechanics unlike WOW where you can stand in fire and tunnel the boss and blame the healer if you die.  In FFXIV if you dont get out of shit consistently you die and you cannot blame the healer because 1 shot mechanics are not the healers fault.  WOW does not want 1 shot mechanics people more people would leave the game.  Just look at Cata.  

Guess that is why people are leaving cause the Hellfire raids have one shots and death to fire if you stand in it....but lets go back to bashing WoW without knowing the game.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

This might be the worst analogy these forums has ever seen.

Anyways I see the game getting worse with Legions, not better. It will be the most rushed expansion in WoW history when they see how many more will unsub in the upcoming months. It already feels rushed with Demon Hunters having 2 specs and 1 race allowed. Endgame will be underdeveloped and players will be even more unforgiving with Blizzard then before.

As many have predicted the WoW killer will be WoW itself.
    i think it's been in the works for a couple of years already if i read that right. so it'll probably be ready for beta in a few months so no need to rush anything.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:
    JakeSim said:
    danwest58 said:

Guess that is why people are leaving cause the Hellfire raids have one shots and death to fire if you stand in it....but lets go back to bashing WoW without knowing the game.
    I wouldn't say he doesn't know the game, he just does LFR probably which doesn't require any skill tbh.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    It took them a few addon to run down WoW into the sorry state it is today.
    Even if Blizzard had the slightest idea about how to make a good xpack, WoW couldn't be saved by just one.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited September 2015
    Not really sure what you mean by "Save" considering even with subs being down they are still making just as much money if not more then they ever have before from WoW. 

Just look at WoW this way:

The game has essentially become reliant on a core 3-4 million players actively playing the game and purchasing microtransactions, in addition to the 3-4 million that will flock back in for every expansion and pay for anywhere from 1-4 months of subscription time. They not only buy the expansion, but they usually end up paying for a month for the big x.0 patch and the first month of the expansion. Right there is 80$ from that customer. They speed up expansion development to the point where it is roughly every year and that subscription starts to matter less and less. Not that WoW will go F2P, it won't. It is just that now the way they get income is far different then it was when they first started to lose traction after Wrath. 

Not to mention that paying for just a month of the expansion won't get you all the expansion content anymore. In order to raid they have time gated the raids to the point where you have to pay an additional month.