Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basic questions

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Hi everyone,

I never played Ruinscape and thinking of giving it a try.  I have a few questions :

1) I take it the newest version is called Runescape 3, as per a few recent Youtubes ?

2) I hate cash shops games, much prefer subscriptions. If you sub do you have everything you need to not mess with the cash shop.

3) I take it there are pay servers and free servers.  I'll take that as everyone on the pay servers are equal ?

4) Since it got an overhaul a few years back, does it still seem deeply out dated as far as content ?

5) Since it's open world, does it seem immersive and a virtual living breathing world ?.....In other words an mmo.

6) Does it feel like a community ?

7) Deep character building abilities ?

8) Deep group dungeons ?

9) Browser based. Never played one.  Do you download something or part of ?......Is Browser based good or bad ?

Comments

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    I haven't played in awhile, but it use to be once you subbed you had the whole game. As far as community goes, it use to be a bunch of children, i assume the same is prolly true. What else I know your going to find, is a bunch of bots, and people selling accounts ect. 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

1) I take it the newest version is called Runescape 3, as per a few recent Youtubes ?

Jagex does do some things quite well.  One of them is keeping a product from dyeing, if you created a character in 2001.   That same character will still be there with all of their stats and items intact(Even the discontinued items, even skills that were harder/easier at that time are still there)

2) I hate cash shops games, much prefer subscriptions. If you sub do you have everything you need to not mess with the cash shop.

It's like an $8 sub now.   Other items are mostly superficial for the most part.   Even their super pets, greatest power is just to send 1 item to your bank every 30 mins or so(meaning there are better ingame followers you could have).

3) I take it there are pay servers and free servers.  I'll take that as everyone on the pay servers are equal ?

Equal in the sense that if you're willing to put in the same amount of unlimited time as the other guy you'll be the same, sure.

4) Since it got an overhaul a few years back, does it still seem deeply out dated as far as content ?

If you consider the concept of grind outdated, yes.   If you're willing to take that the non-quest grind, instead earns you quests that have real meaning+story+rewards it might be worth it.   Basically you're given grind content with no direction, and the effort that would have been spent making 30-100 generic kill quests in a normal MMO is instead something that has real mechanics behind it.

5) Since it's open world, does it seem immersive and a virtual living breathing world ?.....In other words an mmo.

Heavy phasing, since the quests are non-dynamic you know that everyone else has done the same things as you, knows the same secrets, and similar.

6) Does it feel like a community ?

In a broken family sort of way maybe.

7) Deep character building abilities ?

8) Deep group dungeons ?

Generally the dungeons aren't instanced so you still get some of the old timey feelings of seeing people doing other things.   But since the community is mostly "broken" players probably won't even bother to wave at each other.

9) Browser based. Never played one.  Do you download something or part of ?......Is Browser based good or bad ?

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Just thought I'd mention they just started Darkscape.  It is basically Runescape with open PvP, but since it is new there seems to be a lot of activity.  I've hopped on for an hour or two here and there, but it's not sticking for me. 

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• SharkbunnieSharkbunnie Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Hi @delete5230 I'm new to these forums, but I'd be interested to know if you did start playing Runescape and if so, what you thought of it? 

I'm a current/active player of RS3 currently. Personally, I'd say that some of the community are really friendly/helpful and interesting to talk to. I have also encountered a lot of trolls and people who appear to be about 12 years old, though.

I'd be inclined to agree with @anemo when they said that it feels like a community "In a broken family sort of way maybe.". There definitely is a sense of community. You see the same people in the same "worlds" every day, and you learn of each other's in-game goals etc. 
  • idulidul Member CommonPosts: 1
    I think you should give Runscape '07 a try!