Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming insider interview with Brad Mcquaid

2»

Comments

• Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Sorry Brad, but there is nothing worse than a developer than can produce great titles like Vanguard SoH and the proceed to destroy it all.

You can make great stuff, that is obvious, but what you cannot do is keep it together and give your customers the play experience they deserve. Its like offering to make someone rich and happy  for life and showing up at the door with a giant check that they will never be able to cash.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Dullahan said:
    Aggro system in EQ was the best in any game I've ever played. The idea that each mob is a member of a certain faction, and using that as the basis of 'who helps who' is something thats been overlooked entirely in modern games. Nothing makes me laugh more than watching an "encounter" of mobs path around in front of other mobs bearing the same names and, supposedly, allegiance, and them doing absolutely nothing to help their fellows avoid their demise.
    Expanding on that - i always loved the way FFXI handled mobs as well. Every mob and spell was attuned to an element. Using the same element spell on a mob based on the same element pretty much guaranteed you'd get resisted and probably die shortly after. Not only your damage but your crowd control spells as well would get resisted.

For example:
    • Fire melts Ice
    • Ice compacts Wind
    • Wind erodes Earth
    • Earth grounds Thunder
    • Thunder electrolyzes Water
    • Water douses Fire
    • Light illuminates Dark
    • Dark eclipses Light
    I really miss stuff like this.
  • KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Instead of the elements you use a different basis for your spells:

Scissors cuts Paper
    Paper covers Rock
    Rock crushes Lizard
    Lizard poisons Spock
    Spock smashes Scissors
    Scissors decapitates Lizard
    Lizard eats Paper
    Paper disproves Spock
    Spock vaporizes Rock
    (and as it always has) Rock crushes scissors

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    He already explained why Vanguard failed years ago in this blog.

Kayyd said:
    Instead of the elements you use a different basis for your spells:

Scissors cuts Paper
    Paper covers Rock
    Rock crushes Lizard
    Lizard poisons Spock
    Spock smashes Scissors
    Scissors decapitates Lizard
    Lizard eats Paper
    Paper disproves Spock
    Spock vaporizes Rock
    (and as it always has) Rock crushes scissors

And then everyone always chooses Spock, and nobody ever wins or loses.

We watch The Big Bang Theory, too.

Alders said:
    Dullahan said:
    Aggro system in EQ was the best in any game I've ever played. The idea that each mob is a member of a certain faction, and using that as the basis of 'who helps who' is something thats been overlooked entirely in modern games. Nothing makes me laugh more than watching an "encounter" of mobs path around in front of other mobs bearing the same names and, supposedly, allegiance, and them doing absolutely nothing to help their fellows avoid their demise.
    Expanding on that - i always loved the way FFXI handled mobs as well. Every mob and spell was attuned to an element. Using the same element spell on a mob based on the same element pretty much guaranteed you'd get resisted and probably die shortly after. Not only your damage but your crowd control spells as well would get resisted.

For example:
    • Fire melts Ice
    • Ice compacts Wind
    • Wind erodes Earth
    • Earth grounds Thunder
    • Thunder electrolyzes Water
    • Water douses Fire
    • Light illuminates Dark
    • Dark eclipses Light
    I really miss stuff like this.
    Why would you DIE from using one single bad spell ?

And this doesnt sound too interesting for me. Rather its repetitive and static.

I much rather want something thats dynamic, makes you think which button to press next - or not to press any button right now.

• NiienNiien Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I've screwed up plenty of times in my life as I'm sure everyone else on these boards has as well. We are all human and we all have to start somewhere. Right now VR(Visionary Realms) is the only company making an MMORPG that I have any interest in playing. They are the only startup making an MMORPG with proof of their competency to make great games that I'm interested in. Their proof of this competency is via two great games that were released to 1000s of people. Still to this day(17 years later) 1000s of people including myself love and still play to this day.

Until another company decides to make a game that competes with the tenets listed on the Pantheon website(found here), I will be supporting VR. There is no other argument to make due to the fact that no other company is making a game like this. So it's a pretty easy decision to support or not to support the game both in spirit and monetarily. You either want a game like the one described on the webpage(found here), or you do not.

The rest of the comments made on these Pantheon specific forums seem like they are from people with more time on their hands then sense. No idea why they feel they need to waste their lives telling us how bad someone is or how something will never succeed. I'm sure it's not due them trying to be some kind of saint. It more or less seems like simple negativity and an outcry for attention. I could be wrong, and if I am it definitely won't be the first or last time it happens.

Either way, thank you VR for attempting to make a game that maybe millions of people might not want to play, however 1000s certainly will.
    Niien said:
    I've screwed up plenty of times in my life as I'm sure everyone else on these boards has as well.
    I question your definition of "screwing up" ?!?

All the haters have is an anonymous letter, which was never verified in any way. Sorry, but that thing could have been just made up. In dubito pro reo.

And the fact that Sigil failed. But starting a new company is a risky business. Had circumstance been a bit better, Sigil might have succeeded.

As far as "screwing up", failing to get a company running rates pretty low. Much that Sigil did was good.