Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gloria Victis | Territory Control System | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageGloria Victis | Territory Control System | MMORPG

Territory control system is one of the unique features of Gloria Victis. It will not only be strictly connected to the player-driven economy, but will also involve entire nations in massive conflicts, not just the most powerful guilds. How?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KhurrakKhurrak Member UncommonPosts: 10
    A really promising game.. i just log few days ago..it still need lot of work..but looks better and better..i hope devs reach they wishes..
  • KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121
    I just purchased the $10 pack myself. Even though it's still pre-alpha, it's very much in a playable state. Not all the systems are in place obviously, and there are bugs aplenty, but the direction this game is headed seems very promising.
  • kombainkombain Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Really nice idea, cant waqit to see it in a game!
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    this game is defo going places..

And that for 10 dollars :P
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    As soon as I have time (hopefully tonight) Im buying a founders pack. This game looks like the game I was searching for 10 years ago. Wow time flies
  • F0URTWENTYF0URTWENTY Member UncommonPosts: 349
    At first I was excited for gloria until someone I know played alpha and found out it was like any grinder mmo. You have to grind brainless AI forever to level up like it's world of warcraft or something. I expected more of a sandbox ffa pvp game not a themepark grinder. Not interested in grinding mobs in what should be a pvp game.
    At first I was excited for gloria until someone I know played alpha and found out it was like any grinder mmo. You have to grind brainless AI forever to level up like it's world of warcraft or something. I expected more of a sandbox ffa pvp game not a themepark grinder. Not interested in grinding mobs in what should be a pvp game.
    Yeah, at the moment it does play like that.  The population is small and the other systems are not in place yet so it does seem like a theme park I guess.  But you have to remember that it is still in early development.  Personally, I'm enjoying running around without a bunch of "!" or "?" above the heads of the npcs.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Like Kilmaul said its still early (in fact still pre-alpha, not full alpha state). Theyre adding in features / mehanics on a regular basis. Hell they just added their first "skills" less than a month ago (and those are just passive stat bonus types of skills not active skills) and also just upgraded their engine a couple months back too.

Theyre also working on a massive inventory system overhaul and several other things at the moment. Being a small indie team it takes them some time to get things updated, but theyve actually been surprisingly fast at pushing out new content / features and fixes the past several months.

AI still needs work, and combat needs some tweaking, but the game is still very enjoyable to play most of the time.... and the world just got much bigger in the last update,

Missing / broken things aside, one of the big reasons to at least keep an eye on the game if you dont get into it now, is the team itself. Theyre a very open and honest team. Consider games like Darkfall and MO where the devs for those games were insistent that they know what we (the players) really want and made a bunch of changes to the game that just drove people away on top of ignoring massive glaring issues with the game for months or lying about fixes  & new features coming to the games.

I have yet to see this team really go back on anything they have said is being done. Pretty much everything that they have said is being implemented, gets implemented shortly after. None of the typical "Yeah we are working on this cool new thing, and it will be ready real soon" then 6 months later "Hey you remember that cool thing we said would be here soon. Its still coming kind of soon we promise!".... and then maybe after a year it comes out, but half the time not at all.

Theyre also a very responsive and active team. Go post about an issue in the forum and you usually get a dev response in no more than a couple hours (often less than an hour) and a legitimate "we are looking into the problem" instead of it being brushed aside. They are also in game regularly chatting and playing with us, gathering feedback, opinions, ideas, etc from the players and taking reports of bugs / issues after updates.
    edited September 2015

Like Kilmaul said its still early (in fact still pre-alpha, not full alpha state). Theyre adding in features / mehanics on a regular basis. Hell they just added their first "skills" less than a month ago (and those are just passive stat bonus types of skills not active skills) and also just upgraded their engine a couple months back too.

Theyre also working on a massive inventory system overhaul and several other things at the moment. Being a small indie team it takes them some time to get things updated, but theyve actually been surprisingly fast at pushing out new content / features and fixes the past several months.

AI still needs work, and combat needs some tweaking, but the game is still very enjoyable to play most of the time....

What I mentioned was about their choice of game design, not the state the game is in. Yes it is alpha. But the devs have chosen to make the game designed to have you grind AI all day long. It doesn't matter how good the combat or territory control is I'm not playing another themepark wannabe grinder game that the market is flooded with.

They didn't have to design the game to have you grind AI for most your play time to be competitive. This is a choice they made. This has nothing to do with alpha/beta.
  • bartold666bartold666 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    @FOURTWENTY This is caused by some contents lacking in game at the moment, but we want to significantly expand the possibilities the players have.
    edited September 2015

AI still needs work, and combat needs some tweaking, but the game is still very enjoyable to play most of the time....

What I mentioned was about their choice of game design, not the state the game is in. Yes it is alpha. But the devs have chosen to make the game designed to have you grind AI all day long. It doesn't matter how good the combat or territory control is I'm not playing another themepark wannabe grinder game that the market is flooded with.

They didn't have to design the game to have you grind AI for most your play time to be competitive. This is a choice they made. This has nothing to do with alpha/beta.
    Well, not going to keep talking in circles.  You're entitled to your friend's opinion.  GG sir! :)
  • lucasvrrlucasvrr Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited September 2015
    Keep the work, no matter how long It takes, will be better than any other MMO out there. The game have one of the best teams and community that I've ever seen. I hope that someday the Devs can open a server in South America, that would be great for SA players that suffer of a lack of good MMOS with good localized servers. Basically, the only decent game the SA players can play right now in a localized server it's League of Legends, and that's not even a MMO, very sad for us :(
    edited September 2015
    @FOURTWENTY This is caused by some contents lacking in game at the moment, but we want to significantly expand the possibilities the players have.
    So because your game is lacking content in alpha you have decided to design your game to have a boring leveling system? Take a loot at Mortal Online. Give players choices and a limited skillpool instead of making them grind levels.

Allow players to be more powerful based on their choices, not how many levels they have gained. It doesn't make sense with the combat system you have unless you're planning on scrapping it and going with tab targeting to suit your asian grinder based leveling system.
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    mortal online is horrible lol. Gloria is so much more fun to play, that is my opinion and mortal has been out 5+ years still plays as a pre-alpha game.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    All these 'great' features are always (no matter what game) dependent upon the amount of time people are online in the game. Call it a grind call it no life call it whatever you want but it always comes down to people who an play 10-15 hours a day controlling everything simply because no designer has ever been able to figure out how to make a game that isnt different in terms of time played=biggest advantage. Other than pay to win or games that are so easy you can get everything in a few hours anyway. Only people who get excited about player owned and controlled spawns and the like are the griefers who have nothing to do with their days but play games and monopolize everything because they have the time to do it. There arent many 'legit' long standing guilds around that play games as guilds and arent just created within each new game. i.e. established guilds that play all games together not just whatever game they happen to be in at the time. These designs are also greatly dependent upon a healthy population which at launch might not be an issue but after the first month and the great exodus happens (even if its free to play hype life span is about 30-45 days for games these days) then these designs dont work anymore because there arent enough players to make them work.

Clearly you dont have a grasp on what pre-alpha and not having many features implemented yet means. If grinding mobs is the only way to gain XP, it doesnt mean it will always be that way. You cant gain xp from doing something that HASNT BEEN ADDED TO THE GAME YET.

They will be adding additional content as development progresses.

BTW: grinding mobs is not the only way to gain XP. XP is also gained via crafting, which is a big part of the game and why things like territory control and resources are a central focus of PVP.

Also levels arent  a major factor in the game. Combat is largely skill based.

TBH it sounds like neither you or your friend bothered to actually do any research ( a mere 5 minutes even) about the game, foolishly assumed it was nothing but a large pvp arena based on.....nothing.... and are upset that it actually has things to do besides PvP.

edited September 2015

Clearly you dont have a grasp on what pre-alpha and not having many features implemented yet means. If grinding mobs is the only way to gain XP, it doesnt mean it will always be that way. You cant gain xp from doing something that HASNT BEEN ADDED TO THE GAME YET.

They will be adding additional content as development progresses.

BTW: grinding mobs is not the only way to gain XP. XP is also gained via crafting, which is a big part of the game and why things like territory control and resources are a central focus of PVP.

Also levels arent  a major factor in the game. Combat is largely skill based.

TBH it sounds like neither you or your friend bothered to actually do any research ( a mere 5 minutes even) about the game, foolishly assumed it was nothing but a large pvp arena based on.....nothing.... and are upset that it actually has things to do besides PvP.

The problem is they are using the old linear leveling system that themeparks use. There is no need for X player to be stronger than Y player because he has a higher number by his name. They don't need to design the game so a level 10 cant beat a level 30 ect.\

It doesn't matter how many ways there are to gain that XP, it is a bad fit for a sandbox pvp game without tab targeting. Why not just have everyone the same level, and the player that aims and moves the best, has the best timing ect win the fight?

With the combat system Gloria has it could be a skill based game, not linear level based.

But hey if the devs think that a sandbox game should have everyone grind to max level and then move onto the next game like a themepark game then it's their loss.

Anyone that's interested in a real skill based sandbox mmo with territory control should download Mortal Online on steam. The game has thousands playing since steam release this week and has much deeper crafting and territory control systems than Gloria will most likely ever have and a true skill based combat system.

.... Or you can play Gloria and kill npc's all day like a child with no concept of the value of time.
    edited September 2015
    FOURTWENT, you're quite amusing. What are they offering you to advertise / push your agenda for MO all of a sudden? I find it funny that you went from this:

"Darkfall and Mortal Online: Suffer from VERY low population servers. No sand in the sand box. Poor development teams and lack of new content. "

"Seems SV doesn't care about balancing the game."

to repeatedly posting this:

"
    Mortal Online is the best sandbox game out there, and has better combat than any other mmo currently out."

Then whining that "every positive thread about MO" is getting locked, just because 2 of your posts with the exact same contents were locked and you were told theyre being locked because there is already an identical thread.

Anyway back on point.. your precious MO is no different in the sense that you level up skills and attributes. Higher skills and stats = stronger character, exactly the same as character levels. Also in GV you specify which attributes and skills you want to increase, improvements are not given automatically. You are free to develop your character exactly how you want, just as in MO.

And please, dont try to sit here and act like MO doesnt require grinding AI to improve your character. It is a skill gain on use game. Practically the definition of grinding on AI. Just like the original Darkfall was. How do you increase your sword skills? Hitting mobs over and over with a swows. How do you increase your bow skills? Hitting mobs over and over with a bow. You see a pattern here?

Why does MO have attributes and skill levels if it is so great? I mean, according to you, everyone should just be equal right from the start with no progression at all right? OR are you actually silly enough to think that because instead of having a general level indicator next to their name, they have a stat next to individual skills instead, that it is vastly different?
    FOURTWENT, you're quite amusing. What are they offering you to advertise / push your agenda for MO all of a sudden? I find it funny that you went from this:

"Darkfall and Mortal Online: Suffer from VERY low population servers. No sand in the sand box. Poor development teams and lack of new content. "

"Seems SV doesn't care about balancing the game."

to repeatedly posting this:

"
    Mortal Online is the best sandbox game out there, and has better combat than any other mmo currently out."

Then whining that "every positive thread about MO" is getting locked, just because 2 of your posts with the exact same contents were locked and you were told theyre being locked because there is already an identical thread.

Anyway back on point.. your precious MO is no different in the sense that you level up skills and attributes. Higher skills and stats = stronger character, exactly the same as character levels. Also in GV you specify which attributes and skills you want to increase, improvements are not given automatically. You are free to develop your character exactly how you want, just as in MO.

And please, dont try to sit here and act like MO doesnt require grinding AI to improve your character. It is a skill gain on use game. Practically the definition of grinding on AI. Just like the original Darkfall was. How do you increase your sword skills? Hitting mobs over and over with a swows. How do you increase your bow skills? Hitting mobs over and over with a bow. You see a pattern here?

Why does MO have attributes and skill levels if it is so great? I mean, according to you, everyone should just be equal right from the start with no progression at all right? OR are you actually silly enough to think that because instead of having a general level indicator next to their name, they have a stat next to individual skills instead, that it is vastly different?

I don't know what you mean, I do not currently even play Mortal Online and only mentioned it because it is similar to Gloria. It also had a steam launch this week and has had thousands of new players and even though they have just upgraded their servers they still have to have queues to log in. It is actually pretty successful right now.

Also in Mortal Online you can max your skills/stats in a matter of a day or two. There is a limited skill cap that requires you to to make critical choices, not just grind levels like in Gloria.
    The problem is they are using the old linear leveling system that themeparks use. There is no need for X player to be stronger than Y player because he has a higher number by his name. They don't need to design the game so a level 10 cant beat a level 30 ect.\

It doesn't matter how many ways there are to gain that XP, it is a bad fit for a sandbox pvp game without tab targeting. Why not just have everyone the same level, and the player that aims and moves the best, has the best timing ect win the fight?

With the combat system Gloria has it could be a skill based game, not linear level based.
    But level 10 can kill level 30, even 50 if is skilled enough. O.o I saw even level 10 killing level 80, just because of skill. Character's parameters are not the crucial factor in combat - to win, you mostly need skill and properly chosen set of weapon and armour, fitting to your style. We've used levels for prototyping, though we are not close-minded to changing or developing it in future. We just don't want players to progress by repeadetly hitting the same NPC over time. Instead of continuing this kinda pointless discussion, please just try the game and then thell how good or bad it is. I could complain about Mortal's weak spots before playing but I doubt it would be a wise move.
    edited September 2015
    Thank you for clarifying that Bartold. I think that he is not understanding that point. Although the game uses levels, it is very skill based, just as combat in MO and Darkfall. The lower level player with better movement, aim, etc will win over the higher level player. It isn't WoW where levels and gear determine your power.

The levels are just a general marker for someone's gained experience, but it doesnt indicate their stats or skills. It could be a high dex, str, or con character and it could have a variety of skills. It's no different than if you took a game like MO and said "OK we are going to add levels to the game. For every X amount of attribute points and skill levels we are going to say that is 1 level". Would it chnge the actual mechanics of the game? No. It's just a superficial indicator that says "This guy has 50 total attribute points and 50 skill levels so he is level 50".

This also doesn't apply to just PvP. PvE combat is also very skill based too, and if youre not careful it doesnt matter if youre level 50+ a level 10 mob will still kill you very easily if you dont finish it off quickly.

Levels and stats only provide a minor increase in overall power. High levels arent going around 1 shotting lower level players with no chance to fight back. It only offers a slight advantage, it doesn't make you a god.

But level 10 can kill level 30, even 50 if is skilled enough. O.o I saw even level 10 killing level 80, just because of skill. Character's parameters are not the crucial factor in combat - to win, you mostly need skill and properly chosen set of weapon and armour, fitting to your style. We've used levels for prototyping, though we are not close-minded to changing or developing it in future. We just don't want players to progress by repeadetly hitting the same NPC over time. Instead of continuing this kinda pointless discussion, please just try the game and then thell how good or bad it is. I could complain about Mortal's weak spots before playing but I doubt it would be a wise move. So you think players will want to pvp at a disadvantage? I know in the PVP games I have played everyone is looking for any advantage they can get, however small it is.

As it stands right now in Gloria you need to spend countless hours grinding to be able to pvp at an even level with the best competition and I think that's very bad game design.

So no, as a competitive pvp player I will not be wasting my life grinding npc's in your alpha test to be able to test pvp at a fair playing field.
    edited September 2015
    @FOURTWENTY:

It's quite simple then. You're looking for an MMOFPS, not an MMORPG. Complaining about there being progression in an RPG, PvP based or not, is about as useful as me going to FPS forums and complaining they don't have RPG style progression, quests, crafting, etc.

I recommend you play something like Planetside.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I haven't played GV yet, but it looks interesting. However, on the point of pve grind etc, for me that is one of the reasons I can't stand Darkfall UW (and some other games). If the pve grind is too long and boring it takes most of the fun out of it for me. 

GV might be set up better than DF in that regard (I hope so anyway). Not many pvp mmo games have been able to get a good system working which rewards progression but at the same time doesn't prevent newer characters from competing (and having fun) or require long pve grinds.
    YashaX said:
    Not many pvp mmo games have been able to get a good system working which rewards progression but at the same time doesn't prevent newer characters from competing (and having fun) or require long pve grinds.
    It's only my private opinion but as a player I think that Gloria Victis achieved it. :)