Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Hunger Games Goes Prehistoric | ARK: Survival Evolved | MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Hunger Games Goes Prehistoric | ARK: Survival Evolved | MMORPG.com

ARK: Survival Evolved is one of the few survival games I can get behind. I think it's because the game ditched the zombie thing, which let's face it, is a bit overdone. Zombies have invaded pop culture to the point of over saturation being on TV, movies, books, games, and occasionally real life if you feel like visiting a state that has "legalized it". ARK was right to go with dinosaurs, because it has been a smash hit.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Just started watching "Fear The Walking Dead".. seems those people dont have a clue that those are... zombies. They must never had watched a zombie movie. BUT omg this game is awesome!
    Actually calling it a zombie would be absurd. I doubt many of use would call them a zombie. A zombie is just fiction.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    this game is not all that great and never has been unless you like survival through pvp. Its actually pretty damn boring if you play pve as the survival elements alone suck and building is very limited. It appeals to full loot pvp server crowds great but other than that it has nothing to offer that all the other survival games before it hasnt already done and better like digable terrain and crafting.
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    edited September 2015
    cronius77 said:
    this game is not all that great and never has been unless you like survival through pvp. Its actually pretty damn boring if you play pve as the survival elements alone suck and building is very limited. It appeals to full loot pvp server crowds great but other than that it has nothing to offer that all the other survival games before it hasnt already done and better like digable terrain and crafting.
    you forgot to preface with "IMHO" - for me this game has been eating all of my game time - despite the substantial list of games I have on steam, this seems to be the only one that exists - and this is all PVE and single-player - so, IMHO this game is better than cheese (and that's saying something - I likes cheese)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Coman said:
    Just started watching "Fear The Walking Dead".. seems those people dont have a clue that those are... zombies. They must never had watched a zombie movie. BUT omg this game is awesome!
    Actually calling it a zombie would be absurd. I doubt many of use would call them a zombie. A zombie is just fiction.
    Uhhhhh, no a Zombie isn't. A zombie is a direct reference to a person controlled through either Voodoo or African ritual. Often associated with drugs that put you into that general stupour. So really, Zombies exist and the term would be applicable as it directly relates here. I just picked up Ark after the free weekend. I've done some learning. Tiny I and Tiny II were hard lessons. Raptors eat Trikes :) But Spike... my Stego... Spike will not sink into the marsh! (well the Fence I'm building greatly helps)
    gatheris said:
    cronius77 said:
    you forgot to preface with "IMHO" - for me this game has been eating all of my game time - despite the substantial list of games I have on steam, this seems to be the only one that exists - and this is all PVE and single-player - so, IMHO this game is better than cheese (and that's saying something - I likes cheese)
    so what makes this so much different or better than 7 days to die planet explorers rust or day z? They have far less crafting than both 7 days to die and planet explorers. The world is static you cannot alter terrain just build the same stone wood or thatch structures that are limited in shapes compared to both 7 days to die and planet explorers. You tame dinos and use them to farm for you basically and you eat meat and drink water and if youre unlucky some random bugged weather cycle comes along and kills you. I do not how this game is any better or even equal to the other sandbox survival games that released before it. If this game didnt have the survival pvp fanbase it has and hardcore ruleset like drugging people with narco berries and griefing mechanics this game would be dead. The author is bias to this game she mentions posts about this game all the time but none of the other games it copies from.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Yeah long term playability of the game is non existent unless you run on a local (single player game) and just like to build stuff all day. Hacks and cheats on official servers are completely out of control. Theyre supposedly going to do something about it soon but I am not holding my breath. At first the game blows your mind but after a few days it gets to be the same old same old. PvP would be OK if it had a system that was worth doing the one they have is a joke and that doesnt count the hacks and cheats. PvE is 'safer' but still exposes you to cheating and hacking but it is also extremely boring since there is nothing to do in PvE once you get to max level and learn to craft the 'cool' stuff. Other than as I said build a cool base that really serves no purpose on a PvE server. But it really isnt a survival game its a semi MMO with decay. There really is little fear of not surviving in the game other than a fluke or trying to do something that should be impossible (but even the 'impossible' has a better than 50% chance of surviving and succeeding). Put in a decent PvP system and add some other side endeavors, and keep optimizing the game and they have something. Its a decent base level but needs a lot more. Even though it is technically alpha it has had a multitude of updates and content added Problem is they keep adding and updating the 'wrong' things. Theyre all about flash and splash and ,little to do with fundamentals. Thats a big red flag to me going forward. While it may look like theyre doing a lot (and they are) theyre doing it to make a statement rather than fixing the blatant problems and issues the game has.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Eagerly awaiting the console release!
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    My opinion on Ark: There is a long way to go, but it is a good start. -The building part is very basic and square still. -UI system is clunky bordering annoying. -The game doesn't teach you what you did wrong or how to do anything.. Youtube and forums, oh thats how you tame, oh thats how you fill your water skin. -Any kind of travelling takes ages, even for a survival game. -All servers seem overcrowded.. This is probably due to every building are on the coastline and nothing ever decay. -Private servers are the best, where moderators can make sure competition is pvp and not griefing.. I especially like those servers with a pvp period such as pvp is on weekends or every day at 20-21. -Seriously lack a way to search for servers with the right options.. Like just finding one with 3rd person view allowed require you to create dummy characters and log just to check. -Mooar dines, bigger maps with "low level" areas other than coasts ... Please -Looks good, but needs optimization.. Only top spec pc's can pull this monster on "pretty" setting. Anyways.. The core idea is nice and appeals a little more to me than Rust, but it still needs the right decisions and much development work.. Give it a year.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Yes , console release will be nice, a smoother leveled out experience and xbox one servers. I think the main difference between 7dtd is that thus is battle royale, h1z1 and br mods , the dinosaurs that are tamable are a difference, thus is a primitive sandbox pvp survival game. The br genre isnt really flooded , so every new twist is a welcome edition even if it isnt new to other game modes / genres. I saw a guy tame a teradactil, make a saddle, and fly around on this tamed terridactil, it made for good viewing, and if you want to watch it , Ellohime on twitch does a pretty good job of commentating.
    this genre isnt flooded like she mentioned with zombie games either shes just very bias and it shows as she only reports this game over and over and none of the rest in this building/survival genre. You have 7 days to die which is zombie based H1Z1 Day Z project zomboid and Rust but rust is or has gotten rid of the zombies. You have other survival games out there to like stranded deep which is aka castaway sim, planet explorers which is sci-fi and many others that are in various stats of being finished that are not zombie based. Out of all of them I think Ark is probably one of the worst and is just flashy graphics with no meat on the bones not doing anything at all great just doing a bunch of stuff mediocre.