Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Eorzea Reborn | FFXIV From the Eyes of a Game Hopper | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Eorzea Reborn | FFXIV From the Eyes of a Game Hopper | MMORPG

Victor looks at FFXIV from the lens of comparison after playing through three other games.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    I've loved FFXIV's storyline but just think there's too many pointless fetch quests that are required to progress through it often causing long gaps between scenes and breaking immersion. Like, I'm the hero of Eorzea, just finished saving the world and I"m being sent to collect tea leaves for someone?
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Aha, you play a Dragoon. Get ready for some serious RSI at 60 with the rotation!
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I've loved FFXIV's storyline but just think there's too many pointless fetch quests that are required to progress through it often causing long gaps between scenes and breaking immersion. Like, I'm the hero of Eorzea, just finished saving the world and I"m being sent to collect tea leaves for someone?
    I was gonna say. Like there are flashes of brilliance, ways to get you emotional about the story and I love that, I do not love the obviously contrived ways to get you to do things like fetch food and perfume for an hour. Talk to this guy for him to say a whole lot of nothing but talk to another guy and so on until you get somewhere. Makes me feel like I'm spinning my wheels sometimes.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    edited September 2015
    My problem is I enjoy FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2, Rift, Neverwinter, Wildstar, MH and D3 so I'm the worst "game hopper". Not sure why I can't seem to commit long term to any. I guess it's the dangling of "shiny & new" before me when one of these gets an expansion, etc. So I end up bouncing around, I've always said I'm a "jack Of All Games, Master Of None" hence why I have very few max level toons in any game LOL.
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Skill bloat IS indeed a problem in this game, it's terrible.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    So many knights for this game, all I will say is. Beautiful? Yes. Story? Fantastic. Everything else? Average, at best.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    This is a great game no matter the haters. Its one of the last P2P MMOs and will continue to be that way for a long time because SE listens to its players. Yea there are some pain spots in the game however if you are a person who gets bored easily or rushes to end game you like the Millions of other MMO players right now will continue to spend a ton of money and never be happy. I know I was a game hopper myself and realized I should have never left FFXIV, because if you take the game at a steady pace you will never burn out of content.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    danwest58 said:
    This is a great game no matter the haters. Its one of the last P2P MMOs and will continue to be that way for a long time because SE listens to its players. Yea there are some pain spots in the game however if you are a person who gets bored easily or rushes to end game you like the Millions of other MMO players right now will continue to spend a ton of money and never be happy. I know I was a game hopper myself and realized I should have never left FFXIV, because if you take the game at a steady pace you will never burn out of content.
    Could just as easily say The game is complete crap despite the fanboys. I personally find the game boring as hell with zero to set it apart from other themeparks.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    JDis25 said:
    So many knights for this game, all I will say is. Beautiful? Yes. Story? Fantastic. Everything else? Average, at best.
    The most accurate description of FFXIV to date.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Bring back or implement something more like a reason to run dungeons all over and over and over again but not just for tokens for gear. Then maybe Ill be back. Paragon system from diablo? Merit point system from FFXI anyone?
    To be fare the merit system didn't come out in XI till later and is only a spin on lvling your character.
    Regardless, they are going to have to add more content than a handful of dungeons to build into a raid. to keep people around.

Sure there is crafting to do, but not everyone want's to craft. THere are those who want to play a combat role, bit as soon as they hit 60, that Job now revolves solely around Duty Finder, organized raids or Clan Hunts.

For me, this is the game I am currently enjoying and will turn to crafting once I have all my gear, But I still notice the obvious lack of level cap options.

• NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Game hoppers unite! I play with a group of friends who are all over the place in terms of what MMO they play. So as I result, I game hop often, and because of this I seem to gravitate towards each games flaws in my eyes compared to the others. Like they say "If you dont like it, make your own MMO"
  • lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165
    edited September 2015
    The housing in FFXIV is kind of problematic for game hoppers because they intend housing plots to get reclaimed from inactive players. This means the only people who can effectively make use of housing are free company leaders, and active ones at that. Most other games use instanced housing, which makes such measures unnecessary.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Games fine till you hit 60. Even when you're fresh 60 is alright till you realize what the game is really doing. Some people realize it sooner than others, but eventually everyone sees the game for what it is. Comment is neither negative nor positive..
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    I really enjoy FF14, one of the few games that actually gives value for my money. I love the large content patches and as a person who enjoys other things to do 'other' than dungeons and raiding I welcome it all. I love doing treasure maps, the hunts, chocobo racing, triple triad etc. Although for me, i just love to craft which has been the best crafting system ive played.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited September 2015
    Tsumoro said:
    I really enjoy FF14, one of the few games that actually gives value for my money. I love the large content patches and as a person who enjoys other things to do 'other' than dungeons and raiding I welcome it all. I love doing treasure maps, the hunts, chocobo racing, triple triad etc. Although for me, i just love to craft which has been the best crafting system ive played.

Pretty much this.  The game excels at story, content updates (making you feel like subscription can still be awesome, despite WoW) and myriad of things to do.  There are many different metas in the game, and to master one you pretty much have to dedicate your time to it.  Crafting is pretty amazing and profitable.  Though my main fun is getting more and more gil.  RP community and the general community is fantastic, as I always see people say hello in dungeons and Balmung has like a 99% RPer ratio.  The combat differs a lot from other games and is well thought out; some like it, some don't.  But it is different.  All in all, it's consistent quality that sets it apart from other games.  That and the amazing amount of music for pretty much everything.  Even mounts have different music.  And each bosses, dungeons, areas, etc.

Overall a refreshing take on a themepark if you enjoy JRPGs and reading.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Tsumoro said:
    Though it is not currently worth the money for me, I wanted to agree with the rest of your points. What FFXIV does well is the stuff that is usually neglected or an afterthought in other games. Crafting is well done, there is an insane amount of side content, and even mini games. Stuff like that really helps to flesh out your world, other games should take note.