Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a question: How to certain games (wont say any names) get away with legally copying other gam

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I have a question: How to certain games get away with legally copying other game.

Isnt there a level of Copyright protection and Trademark protection at play? So how do these other developers get away with copying without legal actions stopping them?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    edited September 2015
    I have a question: How to certain games get away with legally copying other game.

Isnt there a level of Copyright protection and Trademark protection at play? So how do these other developers get away with copying without legal actions stopping them?
    Because most of the copying is from old material and my guess by now public material. That is why people can freely use orks, dwarfs, vampires etc. They where all protected at one point in time I guess. I personally never found something that I felt breached any cr or tm laws. Some have the same graphic style, same type of stories and same type of background, but publicly usable.

for example two games with the same graphics style, having a coming of age story and are fantasy (all the traditional races and clases) might feel the same.   
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    • First --  It depends from what countries these games are coming from that are copying.
    International copyright laws are not quite as solid a protection in any country, as the national copyright laws are within a country.

• Second -- Even within the USA (which I am from), copyright protection does not protect from someone talented enough to take any art form work (visual, text, audio,etc), and change it just enough as to not get sued.
    Patents (which are basically copyrights for mechanical designs), are at least a bit more strict, but also a lot more expensive relatively.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited September 2015

In truth you would have to give an example because "most games" are probably not "copying" in the way you are thinking.

For example, even though "stolen assets" are an issue, in eastern games, copying is less of an issue because "apparently it is". I've told this story before but when Lineage 2 was being developed NC Soft sent the US office some posters that had some "copied" images that were not theirs to use and they had to be told that it wouldn't fly.

If you look at many eastern games they do use similar images. I recall a sword in Lineage 2 that appeared in several other eastern games.

You have to remember that "copying" may not be considered bad by some cultures. Heck, in the west there was a time where an entire melody would be used from another song and completely used in new compositions. The use of folk song (not copyrighted) was also used in many different pieces.

So if you are thinking of eastern games then there might be some leeway allowed depending on the circumstance.

As far as what Corman said, I have to disagree a bit (though he is correct on certain items being "old" and therefore no longer protected). Things like Orcs, Vampires, Elves, etc are not protected because they are based upon folklore/mythology. No one owns those. However, if one wanted to make a complete copy of the Dracula story but with the names changed then that would be a different matter (no one would want to copy Twilight so there is no worry there).

Additionally, certain game play aspects might not be protected by their very nature. Such as healthbars the use of the word "mana", or "laser" or "space ship".

Lastly, sometimes something is not a copy but an homage or "reference" to another property. If it is such then that is not really a big deal. There's a term for it but I forget.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

Lastly, sometimes something is not a copy but an homage or "reference" to another property. If it is such then that is not really a big deal. There's a term for it but I forget.
    An easter egg?  :3
    edited September 2015
    This example is for music but one can see where "fair use" can be done depending on circumstances. I imagine each circumstance might have different particulars to consider:

Section 107 of the Copyright Act sets forth a non-exhaustive list of four elements that the courts must consider in determining if any unauthorized use of a copyrighted work is a “fair use.” They are: (1) the purpose and character of the work (which is claimed to be a fair use); (2) the nature of the copyrighted work; (3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and (4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

While the statute does not list it as a factor that must be considered, as a result of an interesting 1994 U.S. Supreme Court decision in the case of Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music (a case involving rapper Luther Campbell’s unauthorized cover version of Roy Orbison’s classic song, Oh, Pretty Woman), the courts have established another element to be considered: whether or not the unauthorized use is a “transformative use.” 

While some consider this to be a new “fifth element” to be considered, most legal scholars consider the “transformative work” test to be an element to be considered as part of the analysis of the first of the four statutory factors, i.e., the purpose and character of the work.

The Campbell Court stated that a derivative work becomes a “transformative work” (and, thus, entitled to fair use treatment) if it uses a source work in a completely new or unexpected way.

Post edited by Sovrath on

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:

An easter egg?  :3
    Oh you!  ;)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited September 2015
    Almost every MMO in existance (besides Eve and a few more) copies Meridian 59. Suing someone for copying you as much as you copied someone else are both silly and no court would buy it.

Of course, the same cant be said about other stuff. Harry Potter is a brutal copy of Neil Gailmans "Books of magic" down to the friggin owl, and Rowling are suing people on and off.

Well, except that Tim got John Constantine as a teacher, he kicks Dumbledores "#¤%.

Torval said:
    And EVE is basically a derivative transformative copy of Marc Miller's Traveller universe. The classless skill system, the ships, etc, only it's not the same. It's more like an inspiration where they borrowed some core tenents and then built their own universe out of that.

@Sovrath - I may be missing your point with Dracula, but I think the book is old enough and in the public domain that you could actually change the names but keep everything word for word and not be sued. I think only modern publications of public domain works can be copyrighted and that's because they edit and publish a specific version.

Copyright is definitely tricky stuff. I have a lot of conflicting opinions about it much like IP and patents. I think artists and creators should benefit and be compensated. I think the importance of derivative creativity is underappreciated. I think that corporations, businesses, or even families shouldn't be allowed to keep control of the works of primary creators - Disney, Tolkein, and many others. If an artist/creator dies there should be a limited time that their business and family should be able to have sole control over the work.
    There is a limited time, you can make Popeye cartoons right now and Disney is just a few years away from losing a lot of characters. They are however trying to lobby to move it from 80 to 100 years.

When the authors die have nothing to do with it, just when the work was originally made. 

It seems to also have a lot to do with how good lawers you have, obviously have Rowling better then Gailman (or he isn't as smallminded).

The whole thing is pretty silly, few ideas are that original no matter if we talk about games, books or movies. Lucky enough for us is most game companies better then movie and book publishers so games don't sue eachother because they invented the auction house, the trinity combat or questing.
    One of the biggest tips given any art form...

"Do not let your audience know where you stole the idea from." -- not actually a quote, but it gives the idea.

Also, if you consider from a professor's perspective of how to read literature (which should also apply to other forms of art)...

"Each literature is having a conversation with past literatures, and those that read more and more literatures, will be able to recognize similar characters between them." -- also not actually a quote, but it gives the idea.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    This is a really dumb thread, it's could apply to the whole gaming genra. The op 
    Knows this hence why he/she doesn't give an example. 

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Well I think the Tolkien family should get residual checks from a lot games, but that won't happen anytime soon. To say that J.R.R. Tolkien has had a major impact upon mmo is a vast understatement. Without him, the entire landscape of fantasy mmos would most likely be completely different from what they are now. While Tolkien was a professor of English language and literature as well as a scholar of medieval languages, we best know him for being the author of works such as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It is through these works that he shaped the future of fantasy mmos. Lets be honest we wouldn't even have this forum most likely to discuss everything.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    This is a really dumb thread, it's could apply to the whole gaming genra. The op 
    And it's in the discussion area of a website no longer catering to one specific genre. The OP didn't mention MMO's specifically.

That being said, some games are pretty blatant with the varied iterations of copyrighted material from other games, such as a game somewhat recently popping up and using images from the FFXIV: Heavensward trailer as their own in their advertisements/websites. And this MageRealm Panda Monk is obviously nearly copied and pasted from WoW with some slight differences.

The moral of the story: Be vague with the presentation and change just enough to pretend its your own creation and you win.
    Well I think the Tolkien family should get residual checks from a lot games, but that won't happen anytime soon. To say that J.R.R. Tolkien has had a major impact upon mmo is a vast understatement. Without him, the entire landscape of fantasy mmos would most likely be completely different from what they are now. While Tolkien was a professor of English language and literature as well as a scholar of medieval languages, we best know him for being the author of works such as The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It is through these works that he shaped the future of fantasy mmos. Lets be honest we wouldn't even have this forum most likely to discuss everything.
    Well, Tolkien was influenced by Robert E Howard and old Norse mythology. You don't think Tolkien invented elves and dwarves, did you? Orcs is his original creation though.

Tolkien did made a lot of things popular and he and Howard are probably the 2 that have influenced MMO lore most. There are a few others as well, like Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb and the duo Weiss and Hickman as well.

So whos relatives (and the later ones who are still alive) that deserves the money for the MMO lore could be discussed.

Mechanics wise is Gygax still a huge influence (levels) as well as Garriot and Andrew Kirmse and Chris Kirmse (the last 2 made Meridian 59).
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2015
    Copyright protects only assets, not ideas. As long as the game developer doesn't use assets from another game, using ideas, game mechanics and similar styles is completely legal.

IP protection protects mostly just names. As long as you don't copy paste name of a character, race, place, etc. from other's work, you can make nearly 1:1 copy that's named differently.

Then there's a lot of assets where copyright is expired or didn't exists to begin with. Same pieces of classical music are played from one game to another because there's no copyright, and everything based on myths, legends, history, or real places is free for anyone to use.

Then there's also a lot of assets that anyone can buy. Same game engine can be used for dozens of games and there are dedicated marketplaces for selling and buying assets for games.

Loke666 said:
    Well, Tolkien was influenced by Robert E Howard and old Norse mythology. You don't think Tolkien invented elves and dwarves, did you? Orcs is his original creation though.

Tolkien did made a lot of things popular and he and Howard are probably the 2 that have influenced MMO lore most. There are a few others as well, like Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb and the duo Weiss and Hickman as well.

So whos relatives (and the later ones who are still alive) that deserves the money for the MMO lore could be discussed.

Mechanics wise is Gygax still a huge influence (levels) as well as Garriot and Andrew Kirmse and Chris Kirmse (the last 2 made Meridian 59).
    Well I agree their are Norse elements to his works, but his story's stem from his childhood and most prominently from World War 1.  If I may refer you to this articles from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zgr9kqt Also: Nation Geographic: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngbeyond/rings/influences.html

On a side note one of my good gaming friends is an actual relative of Tolkiens, and I could tell you story's all day. :awesome: 

Loke666 said:

Well I agree their are Norse elements to his works, but his story's stem from his childhood and most prominently from World War 1.  If I may refer you to this articles from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zgr9kqt Also: Nation Geographic: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngbeyond/rings/influences.html

On a side note one of my good gaming friends is an actual relative of Tolkiens, and I could tell you story's all day. :awesome: 

Yeah, that is also true. Some rumors say that the ors who storm Helms deep actually is based on the turkish army (but I am not sure I would credit that rumour with any truth).

But since WW1 certainly wasn't fictional no-one owns it. Norse mythology (which Tolkien was an expert on, as well as Norse languages) is slightly more fictional and we do know the names of at least some skalds that influenced tolkien including Snorri Sturlason.

Mixing in abit of real history for basis makes the world feel more alive, even when the reader don't realize your inspiration.
    Loke666 said:
    Loke666 said:

Yeah, that is also true. Some rumors say that the ors who storm Helms deep actually is based on the turkish army (but I am not sure I would credit that rumour with any truth).

But since WW1 certainly wasn't fictional no-one owns it. Norse mythology (which Tolkien was an expert on, as well as Norse languages) is slightly more fictional and we do know the names of at least some skalds that influenced tolkien including Snorri Sturlason.

Mixing in abit of real history for basis makes the world feel more alive, even when the reader don't realize your inspiration.
    Well said my friend, and there is a fine line somewhere. Norse mythology is so in-twined with their actual religion it's hard to fix an exact point of origin. My personal viewpoint still stands. I do feel he inspired or (made known) what we today can constitute many elements of the mmo genre.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    example:

Look at gameloft games. It has a game that copies World of Warcraft, it has a game that copy GTA, a game that copy CoD, a game that copy Halo, etc.

Some games here on this advertisement even uses artwork from GW2.

Marvel and DC comics seem to copy each other all the time, Deadpool and Deathstroke for example.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You know that is a VERY legit question ,one i ask myself a lot.
    I see in Twitch a lot sound getting muted because of copyright yet when comes to games i see all kinds of copying.

How often do we see the term EASTER egg?Quite often that is using some form of either copyright or someone's property/identity without permission.I have seen a couple cases of late of female actresses suing games for using their likeliness.

When comes to game engines that is really tricky,i am quite certain as employees shift around they are using stolen ideas from their old employers.The problem is it usually needs some sort of paper trail or intent.

Dark N Light was a notable game that was deemed to be using stolen material.I could be mistaken however i  believe it was even Archage was it not that also ran into some trouble.

I am sure it happens a lot ,gaming just seems to be one industry that is still VERY new to law and legality.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Torval said:

@Sovrath - I may be missing your point with Dracula, but I think the book is old enough and in the public domain that you could actually change the names but keep everything word for word and not be sued. I think only modern publications of public domain works can be copyrighted and that's because they edit and publish a specific version.

Oops! That's my error. "Of course it is". I forgot how old that thing was.

Substitute Dracula for, erm, "any other currently copyrighted vampire story other than Twilight".

Also, per an earlier comment from another poster, easter eggs sort of fall into the "homage" category. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Wizardry said:
    You know that is a VERY legit question ,one i ask myself a lot.
    I see in Twitch a lot sound getting muted because of copyright yet when comes to games i see all kinds of copying.

How often do we see the term EASTER egg?Quite often that is using some form of either copyright or someone's property/identity without permission.I have seen a couple cases of late of female actresses suing games for using their likeliness.

When comes to game engines that is really tricky,i am quite certain as employees shift around they are using stolen ideas from their old employers.The problem is it usually needs some sort of paper trail or intent.

Dark N Light was a notable game that was deemed to be using stolen material.I could be mistaken however i  believe it was even Archage was it not that also ran into some trouble.

I am sure it happens a lot ,gaming just seems to be one industry that is still VERY new to law and legality.

Copyright does not prevent making references to other works, making parodies of other works, using limited parts of other works to create new and different work, or taking ideas from other works. That's why eastern eggs and taking ideas from other games are normally completely legal.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    • First --  It depends from what countries these games are coming from that are copying.
    International copyright laws are not quite as solid a protection in any country, as the national copyright laws are within a country.

• Second -- Even within the USA (which I am from), copyright protection does not protect from someone talented enough to take any art form work (visual, text, audio,etc), and change it just enough as to not get sued.
    Patents (which are basically copyrights for mechanical designs), are at least a bit more strict, but also a lot more expensive relatively.
    Actually US intellectual property law does cover what you described in your second point. If it can be proven that the creator of the work in question had know about or seen the property being infringed upon, cease and decest orders can be issued and suits can be filed. 

For a reference see the Jordan "jumpman" logo. Another recent incident involves justin timberlake and Marvin gay.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Look at gameloft games. It has a game that copies World of Warcraft, it has a game that copy GTA, a game that copy CoD, a game that copy Halo, etc.
    Do any of these games have any graphics, music or code taken from the original games? If not, then there's no legal problem. Anyone can create something that looks close to what someone else did, as long as it doesn't break a trademark (or design patent, but I don't think these have ever been applied to games).
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters here have zero memory of any poster, post history or thread that ever came before the one they are replying to. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If Blizzard every stops making enough money it will put in a action against all the clones. Clone Wars will become a reality. :D