Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me?

Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
I just started Eve again to see if I can get into it, last time I tried was about 4 years ago. The tutorial used to make a hell of a lot of sense to me and I was able to progress through it super easily although it took a while like 2 hours or so. Apparently the tutorial has been redone, and made less user friendly? It gives almost no information whatsoever on how to do the tasks it is asking you to do. At one point it asked me to fit a mid slot on my ship, without giving me any information other than what the icon for fitting a mid slot looked like. It didn't provide an item, or give me information on how to earn any money to get an item from the market. Then the next portion of it was telling me to go launch probes to scan areas to unlock new anomalies, but thats all the information it gives for that too. Just said hey go try to launch probes in this formation to find a new anomaly. It didn't say I needed to buy a probe launcher, or 8 probes to launch them out. Which were very costly for someone with a brand new character, I happened to have a friend give me some isk so I was able to try it. But it still didn't say how it worked whatsoever. I had to find a 30 minute youtube video on how to actually do that process. 

I'm confused as to why they got rid of the old tutorial that actually took you through everything and explained how to go about each individual aspect of the game.

If they want people to get into their game, that have no idea how it works or the systems in place. They really really need to make the tutorial a lot more user friendly. Even if the game itself is supposed to be hard and unforgiving. I think I'm going to end up enjoying eve but this tutorial really turned me off in terms of learning the ropes. I'll try to give it another shot but sometimes I think too little information is really the bad route to take, especially with something this in depth.

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited August 2015
    They got rid of it because people complained that it made no sense as a tutorial, nor did it provide information that helped you.

And yet here you are saying its just the same :)

It's actually very easy to grasp if you just look around and work things out yourself. Eve player base like you to make an effort and it seems to of rubbed off on the developers adding additional changes to the game at times :D
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    wyldmagik said:
    They got rid of it because people complained that it made no sense as a tutorial, nor did it provide information that helped you.

And yet here you are saying its just the same :)

It's actually very easy to grasp if you just look around and work things out yourself. Eve player base like you to make an effort and it seems to of rubbed off on the developers adding additional changes to the game at times :D
    I had been doing it all myself the issue was when it would literally just give a sentence to describe what you need to do. Like I already understood parts of eve, and have played other MMO's so I was able to go through it all up to the probe launcher point with no issues. But it never said how to look at what you were missing skill wise to do certain things (like I had a blueprint for a mid slot fitting but didn't know how to check what skill I needed to build it). I am perfectly okay with watching long youtube videos to figure things out, I just would rather do that after a basic tutorial instead of having to do it for the tutorial. I know that one of the main issue points for most of the people I know who would be super into eve was they got turned off by the tutorial.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I ran the tutorial as a new player would last summer, and as I recall the design was that it would give you a high level overview, then point you to a hyperlink on the EVE Wicki that provided in depth information.  Did you actually follow all of the links? Also, when they did the probe tutorial, they had you buy civilian probes which very cheap and only were good for training.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I didn't actually see any of the links. Maybe I was too focused on trying to figure out ways to do the task they gave me. I will have to look again next time I log in to figure out if maybe I just overlooked that? I really want to play Eve it has everything I would enjoy in it. Just was a bit of a hassle so far. If the hyperlinks are there then that will be really helpful. 
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I'll be honest, I think Eve is a very good, very polished game that I would love to play, but seriously, you have to give up so much time to do anything in it that I just can't justify it.  As a family guy with a job etc, if I get an hour or two a day to myself, I've tried a number of times and I just find that my hour (or two) goes by and I've achieved zero.  Fitting a shit, getting gear, mining, missions - with all the space travel and docking etc, I just find that you can't do much in an hour that you can look back on and say "Enjoyed that, that was a useful hour."

I can only presume that the real hard core players have loads of free time to dedicate as I think the game cannot give you much back unless you put the hours in.
  • Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    mark2123 said:
    I'll be honest, I think Eve is a very good, very polished game that I would love to play, but seriously, you have to give up so much time to do anything in it that I just can't justify it.  As a family guy with a job etc, if I get an hour or two a day to myself, I've tried a number of times and I just find that my hour (or two) goes by and I've achieved zero.  Fitting a shit, getting gear, mining, missions - with all the space travel and docking etc, I just find that you can't do much in an hour that you can look back on and say "Enjoyed that, that was a useful hour."

I can only presume that the real hard core players have loads of free time to dedicate as I think the game cannot give you much back unless you put the hours in.
    I play for an hour or two a day and accomplish quite a bit. 

If I need ISK, I run some level 4s. They take about 10 minutes to do in a marauder or about 20 in an Ishtar. and the ISK/LP is pretty damn good. 

If I want to PVP, I run a gatecamp with some buddies, or a bubblecamp. Or I run around with my alliance on a roam for a bit. 

EVE really isn't a terrible timesink if you don't allow to be. The thing that takes the most time is training skills. But since that happens while you're logged off too, it's really just up to you to spend as much time as you can/want to learn how to play the game effectively. Both skill and timewise.
  • IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    You can run combat sites in null. Basically get yourself out there in a cloaky tengu or ishtar with a improved cloak. Cloak up till you have an hour or two, Scan a couple of sites and run them then cloak up till you have more time and repeats.

wrote this guide last year  https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=309467 , few things changed since then (Ishtar) but most of it is still good. 
    edited September 2015
    Yes run those sites :D And if you're lucky nobody is around that is already sitting in wait for you to decloak and attack you mid battle :dizzy:

GL! o7
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I was always curious about EVE tutorials as the game is complex and I used to do lots of methodology work and create tons of manuals.

I feel with you OP, current itteration of game tutorial is imo the worst in entire history. I wouldn't even call it a tutorial, the best way I could describe it is "Journal". It only effectively records steps you have "not done yet", without any hint for help.
    edited September 2015
    There is only one issue with eve removing my full attention to it. And that is the risk/time is too great for the person with limited play time.

IF they made it so smaller ships were capable of taking on the better Null sec areas in making money, throwing ship after ship at it would not be an issue. A tengu with skills and fitted is going to cost a fair bit to lose and replace, and to get back out there where you were with same set as a limited time available player.

Lower the need for ship types to do the jobs to make isk and more people would play AND lose their ships without question.

For me playing right now is a no no, I am stuck in a station I find with assetts of much wonga amounts in a taken over system.. If I undock I can not get back in... The only way forward is to A) try and join them and that would look suspicious to say the least. Or B) package it all up and sell it then leave in a shitty ship to start over buying again. Of course this only works if said assets are bought.
  • IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    edited September 2015
    wyldmagik said:
    Yes run those sites :D And if you're lucky nobody is around that is already sitting in wait for you to decloak and attack you mid battle :dizzy:

GL! o7
    They're easy to run. I was making enough to fund 7 SB alts and my main and scout. Did that for about 6 months and didnt lose a single ship other than a golem which I whelped to The Maze citidel torps after forgetting to turn on hardners :) Follow the guide I linked it'll be funnest most profitable isk you can make.
  • IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    mark2123 said:

As a family guy with 3 kids I can attest that to be a serious player in the larger scheme of things (alliance wrangling, running a corp or being a person of leadership in a corp) can take a dedicated amount of time that I am no longer at luxury to have.

However as PVP is what I enjoy most, I did find that with the limited time I do have I could still fit up a ship and fly out and find trouble solo when I had time to play and had a blast doing it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited October 2015
    wyldmagik said:
    There is only one issue with eve removing my full attention to it. And that is the risk/time is too great for the person with limited play time.

IF they made it so smaller ships were capable of taking on the better Null sec areas in making money, throwing ship after ship at it would not be an issue. A tengu with skills and fitted is going to cost a fair bit to lose and replace, and to get back out there where you were with same set as a limited time available player.

Lower the need for ship types to do the jobs to make isk and more people would play AND lose their ships without question.

For me playing right now is a no no, I am stuck in a station I find with assetts of much wonga amounts in a taken over system.. If I undock I can not get back in... The only way forward is to A) try and join them and that would look suspicious to say the least. Or B) package it all up and sell it then leave in a shitty ship to start over buying again. Of course this only works if said assets are bought.
    Making good money in cheap ships, even a T1 frig, is very much possible, you just need to stop hammering that nail with a screwdriver...
  • Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited October 2015
    wyldmagik said:

C: Throw the most valuable (per m3) items into a courier contract, offer a sensible reward, and let someone bring you your stuff.  Yes, I have done this.  Yes, it works. 

I used to make a significant chunk of money this way - buying high-value density assets on the cheap out in null, and throwing them into a courier contract with a fair payoff and maximum period delivery terms.

That said, I'm not really sure why you would store asset value you apparently couldn't afford to lose in an outpost. 

And you can make plenty of money very safely in null with a cheap CovOps.  An hour a day of data/relic sites in null would probably churn out 3 billion a month or so, more if you get lucky with some of the new(ish) sleeper data sites (though the better ones really need a Stratios or T3 for some of the rooms).
    I managed to sell it on for my billions so I have one cloaky proteus site ship to leave in when I am good and ready :D