Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamming chat never worked for groups

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Over and over again I see people talking about how it was near imposable to get groups.

They spam chat for hours !

NO ONE READS CHAT !

.....THAT WAS ALWAYS A BAD IDEA !.....

Social Panel is and always will be the answer.  Every mmo has one.

Type in 16-19 > search

or

Type in 16-19 Warrior > search

Be real nice, " Hay, we need a tank for X dungeon, we have a healer and can get two more DPS quickly, can you come ".  You will have a full group in less than 10 minuets or at the very minimum know if your even going, depending on the population at the time.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp ?.....No one reads rolling chat !

This is rude you say ?.........I totally say BULL, be nice :)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    There are MMOS that dont have LFD/LFR tools still out there? But yes, taking charge, putting together your own group and leading it has always been the best way, however I'd say a great majority of player don't want to lead, they want to join a group someone else is putting together, hence the challenge.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

How to educate players to Use the social panel is hard I guess. It seems everyone has the same bad habit.

So many times I would see players spamming for a tank for hours. Yet I would search for them and find their are none.

I would solo, or log off and try later........No Tanks = No Tanks.

Tip ;

Don't fill a group until you have a tank and healer.  I don't know how many times I would take an invite with five of us being DPS

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Spamming local looking for group members.. fastest way to get onto peoples ignore/blocked lists tbh, often treated the same way as gold spammers.
     Whether people use in game tools for group finding is up to them, but spamming chat channels looking for groups is never acceptable, so unless want to be a social leper, don't do it.
    Phry said:
    Spamming local looking for group members.. fastest way to get onto peoples ignore/blocked lists tbh, often treated the same way as gold spammers.
     Whether people use in game tools for group finding is up to them, but spamming chat channels looking for groups is never acceptable, so unless want to be a social leper, don't do it.

Wrong, never got anyone mad
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Phry said:

Wrong, never got anyone mad
    Yeah, I don't agree with that at all.

I suppose it depends on the game. Additionally there are looking for group channels in games and lo and behold people advertise for groups there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited August 2015
    I agree Group Finders are not mandatory.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Phry said:
    I disagree. I've assembled probably 1 000 groups by spamming local chats and private messages to people, and never had any problems about people getting mad.

Ofc if you start sending too many messages to a single chat channel then it's different, but as long as you keep the number of messages reasonable those people who /ignore because of it are very rare.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Spamming chat is bad, yes. But it must surely be possible for a more in game solution.

Where would you go in a fantasy world to get fellow adventurers for a quest or dungeon? The solution is: the Tavern.

Let people who LFG get a table and anyone could hover their cursor over the table so see what they are going to do and if they look for anything particular.

You could also just put up posters on a physical wall which wouldn't bother people not LFG.

Or something else, there must be a fun in game solution for things like this. Just standing in the street and shouting seems a bit sad.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Over and over again I see people talking about how it was near imposable to get groups.

They spam chat for hours !

NO ONE READS CHAT !

.....THAT WAS ALWAYS A BAD IDEA !.....

Social Panel is and always will be the answer.  Every mmo has one.

Type in 16-19 > search

or

Type in 16-19 Warrior > search

Be real nice, " Hay, we need a tank for X dungeon, we have a healer and can get two more DPS quickly, can you come ".  You will have a full group in less than 10 minuets or at the very minimum know if your even going, depending on the population at the time.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp ?.....No one reads rolling chat !

This is rude you say ?.........I totally say BULL, be nice :)

What's really the difference between this and a LFD/LFG tool.  In this case, the only one talking is the person working to put a group together.  Before long the one begging to put the group together gets frustrated by not being able to get a tank or healer and begins demanding that everyone else help put the group together.  People who would rather not bother get frustrated and leave.  Rinse, repeat.  We've all been through it.  You are not teaching or telling anyone something they don't already know or haven't already experienced.  We just rather not deal with the BS and prefer a tidy LFD/LFG tool.  You play your game the way you want to play it, let others play their game the way they want to play.  Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Most importantly were talking about Massive Multi Player Online ( mmorpg ) game here, please keep this in mind the entire time.

Like someone before me, I had sent out well over 3,000 invites for groups, in easily 10 different mmos.  This would be way higher if mmos didn't at some point turn into just video games.

I recall one time where someone actually got mad !......It was Vanilla WoW when I was searching for Blackfathoms Deeps. The person, asked " Who are you? this is rude ", My response was " Sorry " and that was that.....I actually remember that because I thought that was strange and it stuck with me.  This situation may have happened on another occasion that I don't remember, just to give the benefit of a dough and to be completely honest.....This must have been an angry person to get mad in a mmorpg, that's the only thing I could think of.

Before I go on, I would like to remind everyone........NO ONE READS CHAT !

Their could be better solutions, but developers would have to give us the tools.  To be honest, the social panel is really a fantastic one.

Important :

Dungeons and Dragons Online had a good social panel with some extras.  It was more like a poster board that can be toggled no matter where you are.  It had drop down box helpers to fill request and a place where you can type specifics.  Best yet, when it posted it would show up on a list WITHOUT drop down boxes making viewing advertisements easy and casual reads.  It would also display names classes and levels of who is currently in the party......Never had I've seen better......Even if you don't plan on going anyplace it would give insight on what's available for reference :)

For the 1 in 3000 people that feel getting an invite from someone is rude....You maybe playing the wrong type of game.  I would suggest GuildWars 2, the game is Automatic !!.....It may be higher here because there are a lot of Automatic video game players here looking for games that are not mmos.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Loke666 said:
    Spamming chat is bad, yes. But it must surely be possible for a more in game solution.

Where would you go in a fantasy world to get fellow adventurers for a quest or dungeon? The solution is: the Tavern.

Let people who LFG get a table and anyone could hover their cursor over the table so see what they are going to do and if they look for anything particular.

You could also just put up posters on a physical wall which wouldn't bother people not LFG.

Or something else, there must be a fun in game solution for things like this. Just standing in the street and shouting seems a bit sad.
    That would take way too much time and effort. LFG tools evolved because even the time and effort required to send chat messages was considered too much by many players who want to just hop in and be able to play. Only a very small minority would be happy spending their time in a tavern, or having to travel somewhere to check notice board. For the rest of us, we need an easy way to find groups.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    edited August 2015
    Not every MMO has a /who function, believe it or not. Yes most of the ones who don't are shit.

But the best way of getting groups together is also a combination of posting in chat plus PM'ing people. You can't reach everyone and those who just got in the world or out of a group themselves are often tempted to join if they see a post for a group they need as well. Or if that group is filling up nicely as well.

So I don't really agree that "no one reads chat". I sure do when I'm specifically looking for something.

If it's done in the right channel, I wouldn't call it spamming either.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• sylentnytesylentnyte Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Well in everquest, doing some shouts and /who all lfg "lvl range" never hurt anybody that i know of
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Depends which game. Ask in EQ2 LFG and you can usually get a group pretty fast. Ask in WoW Trade or General chat and get ignored or abused.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    You can have the position that no one reads chat or you can have the position that its rude to form group in chat, not both.  To claim both is to expose yourself as a low thinker.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    There are MMOS that dont have LFD/LFR tools still out there? But yes, taking charge, putting together your own group and leading it has always been the best way, however I'd say a great majority of player don't want to lead, they want to join a group someone else is putting together, hence the challenge.

This has always been the best way imo. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Funny, eq2 has both the social search and LFG option, and chat.  No one at all uses the social panel, ever, instead most groups are formed through friends, or LFG chat channel.  Seems that your opinion is your own, but not based in fact or reality.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    ragz45 said:
    Funny, eq2 has both the social search and LFG option, and chat.  No one at all uses the social panel, ever, instead most groups are formed through friends, or LFG chat channel.  Seems that your opinion is your own, but not based in fact or reality.
    thats because eq2 lfg option sucked badly , it got better but ppl are used to chat and will keep forming groups on chat...

i remember the 1 social panel wow used to create groups lol was horrible ....

Tavern system was used by DDO if im not mistaken