Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok knock it off about trying to play this game for free it is buy to play deal with it.

2»

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    moonbound said:
    Guild wars has always been to buy to play and it was one of the first if not the first to do this, people should be greatful that you did not have to buy it then sub a month later which most mmos at the time did, free to play is downright bad always as buy to play filters out community and strays away from rip off  item shops.

It will never go free to play unless it becomes really outdated so stop trying to force it, it wont happen.

I do not even own guild wars 2 but I do play other buy to play mmos and never seen so many people complain, expansions should cost a 15 to 20 dollar fee which many buy to play mmos offer far more then simple crap dlc you see in single player games.
    Yeah but the price for Heart of Thorns is $50 and it doesn't seem like veteran players are getting a hell of a lot for that price, especially since this is the first true expansion since the game launched three years ago. Which is what I think the whole outrage is about.

And I feel the reason for this expansion pricing is the direct result of buy to play plus a low impact cash shop not working as well as they had hoped. It isn't bringing in enough money. And the veteran fans aren't buying enough from the cash shop to keep the game properly financed. Which I feel is exactly why new players who buy HoT get the whole game, yet veteran players just get one poxy character slot, for the exact same price. They've squeezed all the blood from the veteran turnips they are likely to get so are hoping to wrangle in some fresh blood. Just like they did when they priced the base game for five dollars for awhile. A strategy I felt was absurd due to them having such an anemic and pointless cash shop, where the most money you;ll get from the average customer will be the box sale.
    Except that ANet told that "as responsible developers we will provide free expansion content to the game. we won't ask our players to pay more for the game they have already bought.". Try searching gw2 forums here and you will find the article. Personally i believe they did provide "free expansion", they were those "living story" modules and this should be a hard lesson for those who believed sweet words from game developers.

Edit : edited wording mistake.
    @MisterZebub ;

This is how every other mmo has worked forever though, why is this a problem all of a sudden? Most other mmos that have had expansions has either added the base game along with the expansion as a pay one fee, or has drastically reduced the cost of the original and still sold the expansions at a premium price. Expansions are created for two reasons typically. First, to bring new content to the game to retain current customers. Secondly, to have a fresh product to offer potential customers. Potential customers always get the better deals than the early adopters. Early adopters are already into the product and have already bought in, literally. It's the fence sitters that need to be attracted. Typically, the veterans who get upset and leave the product are typically replaced with multiple new customers. Those same veterans may come back later, especially when there is a deal to their liking. For really good examples of this take a look at mobile phone companies and how their deals work. Again, this is absolutely nothing new. 

As assumption could be made that the expansion was created since the gem store wasn't making as much money as they had hoped. However, the price of the expansion most likely has very little to do with gem store sales. A $50 price point has been historically a median price for games for numerous years now. If anything, $50 is reduced considering the average cost of a game is now $60.

@jesteralways

ANet did provide free content to the game. LS1 and LS2 were both free to all players playing at the time. They did do a goofy DLC attempt at LS2 and we can't be certain how well that worked out so we may or may not see that again. Additionally, at the time that statement was made, I am sure they had every intention of doing just what they said. However, as we all know, things change. Many people have been asking for an expansion for quite a while now. The game could use the cash infusion along with a new product on the shelves (hell every company needs this). 

What I find funny is that Blizzard will have tremendous delay times between the final patch of an expansion and the release of the next. The entire time people who are playing are being charged to access the game. Blizzard also sells the expansion for around $40 iirc out the gate and doesn't provide a month's worth of free time along with the expansion. No one bats an eye. ANet announces an expansion and sells it for $50 which includes the base game if you don't have it, and the internet blows up with venom. It's pretty damn mind boggling.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Kaneth said:
    moonbound said:
    Guild wars has always been to buy to play and it was one of the first if not the first to do this, people should be greatful that you did not have to buy it then sub a month later which most mmos at the time did, free to play is downright bad always as buy to play filters out community and strays away from rip off  item shops.

It will never go free to play unless it becomes really outdated so stop trying to force it, it wont happen.

I do not even own guild wars 2 but I do play other buy to play mmos and never seen so many people complain, expansions should cost a 15 to 20 dollar fee which many buy to play mmos offer far more then simple crap dlc you see in single player games.
    Yeah but the price for Heart of Thorns is $50 and it doesn't seem like veteran players are getting a hell of a lot for that price, especially since this is the first true expansion since the game launched three years ago. Which is what I think the whole outrage is about.

And I feel the reason for this expansion pricing is the direct result of buy to play plus a low impact cash shop not working as well as they had hoped. It isn't bringing in enough money. And the veteran fans aren't buying enough from the cash shop to keep the game properly financed. Which I feel is exactly why new players who buy HoT get the whole game, yet veteran players just get one poxy character slot, for the exact same price. They've squeezed all the blood from the veteran turnips they are likely to get so are hoping to wrangle in some fresh blood. Just like they did when they priced the base game for five dollars for awhile. A strategy I felt was absurd due to them having such an anemic and pointless cash shop, where the most money you;ll get from the average customer will be the box sale.
    Except that ANet told that "as responsible developers we will provide free expansion content to the game. we won't ask our players to pay more for the game they have already bought.". Try searching gw2 forums here and you will find the article. Personally i believe they did provide "free expansion", they were those "living story" modules and this should be a hard lesson for those who believed sweet words from game developers.

@MisterZebub ;

This is how every other mmo has worked forever though, why is this a problem all of a sudden? Most other mmos that have had expansions has either added the base game along with the expansion as a pay one fee, or has drastically reduced the cost of the original and still sold the expansions at a premium price. Expansions are created for two reasons typically. First, to bring new content to the game to retain current customers. Secondly, to have a fresh product to offer potential customers. Potential customers always get the better deals than the early adopters. Early adopters are already into the product and have already bought in, literally. It's the fence sitters that need to be attracted. Typically, the veterans who get upset and leave the product are typically replaced with multiple new customers. Those same veterans may come back later, especially when there is a deal to their liking. For really good examples of this take a look at mobile phone companies and how their deals work. Again, this is absolutely nothing new. 

As assumption could be made that the expansion was created since the gem store wasn't making as much money as they had hoped. However, the price of the expansion most likely has very little to do with gem store sales. A $50 price point has been historically a median price for games for numerous years now. If anything, $50 is reduced considering the average cost of a game is now $60.

@jesteralways

ANet did provide free content to the game. LS1 and LS2 were both free to all players playing at the time. They did do a goofy DLC attempt at LS2 and we can't be certain how well that worked out so we may or may not see that again. Additionally, at the time that statement was made, I am sure they had every intention of doing just what they said. However, as we all know, things change. Many people have been asking for an expansion for quite a while now. The game could use the cash infusion along with a new product on the shelves (hell every company needs this). 

What I find funny is that Blizzard will have tremendous delay times between the final patch of an expansion and the release of the next. The entire time people who are playing are being charged to access the game. Blizzard also sells the expansion for around $40 iirc out the gate and doesn't provide a month's worth of free time along with the expansion. No one bats an eye. ANet announces an expansion and sells it for $50 which includes the base game if you don't have it, and the internet blows up with venom. It's pretty damn mind boggling.
    Hilarious isn't it? Blizzard ask us to pay for something and we pay and then they ask us to pay more to play what we already paid for. nobody writes anything about this bullshit, everybody acts like it is the norm. If they want me to sub monthly then they should not ask me to pay for anything else, if they want me to buy content then they should not ask me to pay more for the content i already paid for. This bullshit business model needs to go.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Actually I had an issue with this when I reinstalled the game some months back.  Yeah, I expected to get all the living story I missed.. and I missed a number of them because a few months after launch I left.

I wasn't really interested in them anyways.. until I decided to make Mawdry... and then it became a necessity.  I don't think you can make it any other way than doing a couple living story missions to get those items.  I did end up paying not knowing that others could assist me in finishing them and I would then have access.. my guildies would have done that easily.

I mean if we're honest.. the living story and content up to this point could have probably fit into a 20 dollar expansion for everything.  They're cashing in on it now... and while I still think its slightly unfair... because its not what many of us understood (people come back to play whats new.. not to see all the new stuff paygated) 

Anyways...  the only real reason I have yet to invest more into the game is because they keep changing things.  This is more than balance changes..  they've pretty much overhauled many of the classes.  More balancing will be on the way.. and I'm losing faith that they'll make reasonable changes.. especially when the new trait lines hit.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Kaneth said:
    moonbound said:

@MisterZebub ;

@jesteralways

Hilarious isn't it? Blizzard ask us to pay for something and we pay and then they ask us to pay more to play what we already paid for. nobody writes anything about this bullshit, everybody acts like it is the norm. If they want me to sub monthly then they should not ask me to pay for anything else, if they want me to buy content then they should not ask me to pay more for the content i already paid for. This bullshit business model needs to go.
    Well its already on its way out. Sadly though its mostly being usurped by FTP games that want you to make progress with cash rather then by actually playing the game.

As to the "everybody else does it" defense, there has been this misapprehension among fans since before GW2 even launched that somehow Arena Net was above this kind of behavior. That somehow they aren't a business that would continue to need to make money outside the initial box price.
    I don't think there was any misconception, if anything they needed to clear out the details as to what they mean by the word "content", as soon as they said content it was really not that far off to assume that it would be a proper mmorpg like content but as i have mentioned before this should be the lesson to not take every word from developers as promise.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Kaneth said:
    moonbound said:

@MisterZebub ;

@jesteralways

Well its already on its way out. Sadly though its mostly being usurped by FTP games that want you to make progress with cash rather then by actually playing the game.

As to the "everybody else does it" defense, there has been this misapprehension among fans since before GW2 even launched that somehow Arena Net was above this kind of behavior. That somehow they aren't a business that would continue to need to make money outside the initial box price.
    I wasn't using the "everybody else does it" as a defense, but more of a statement. Anyone who has been part of the gaming world and/or also has an understanding how the world at large works wasn't surprised by how the expansion is going to work. ANet is a company, the employees need to make a living, the company needs to be profitable, and the investors need to have returns on their investments. It's simply how it works. To think otherwise is terribly naive.

ANet has done a pretty good job of not nickle and diming us to death with tons of little DLC purchases. L2 could wind up being more of an exception than the rule, but that has yet to be determined. Those who purchased the game still have access to the game without having to make any more purchases. If GW2 was sub based, and if you had paid for all 36 months you would have paid $540 on top of the box price. All-in-all, GW2 has had extremely good value in terms of bang vs. buck.
  • megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    So.... Are we bitching about Arenanet asking for money for an expansion or what?
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Nanfoodle said:
    Malabooga said:
    You can still acess them for free if you ask a frient to take you to them.

They reward their loyal customers. Those who are not have to pay a modest sum or grind some gold or have a friend.

Paying money is just one of ways to access those.
    1. I have a RL, when I log in I log in to play not grind gold to play the content I want to play
    2. Asking people to do living story they have already done, didnt work out so well. Its like LFG but 10 times longer wait.
    And what, we should take pitty or something?

You didnt play the game, wont play it any more, nothings missing. For ANet or anyone else.
    Loke666 said:
    Malabooga said:
    You can still acess them for free if you ask a frient to take you to them.

They reward their loyal customers. Those who are not have to pay a modest sum or grind some gold or have a friend.

Paying money is just one of ways to access those.
    Wont give you the achivements or rewards though but sure, if you want to play them just for fun that works.
    You get access to content. They could have just stuck rewards in cash shop for 15$. This way you get some content along with rewards, if rewards are all youre looking for.

Achievements are pretty irrelevant for the game. You definitely dont need those for anything. Except e-peen maybe ;P
    edited August 2015
    moonbound said:

They get an expansion. When compared with some other "expansions" and DLCs its a premium. Only "outrage" i saw was from people who dont (and didnt for a quite a while) play the game.

Blizzard offered me to buy all WoWs content for 3,49$ before WoD. Dont really knw why they just didnt bundled it all together. Guess in their minds its just a upgraded trial before you dish out < insert price of expansion >.

Doing that, greately reducing price or bundling it all together is standard MMO practice.

We know how much GW2 made and how much its making, and it made/makes boatload of money. Sure, its not WoW/L1 level, but then, those 2 have level of their own. Finding ways to get more is what companies do. ANet was pretty clear its B2P+cash shop, whch includes paid expansions. Bonus is that they delivered more content for free in between than any P2P/DLC game did.
    edited August 2015

Actually they dont need to make money outside the initial boxes+expansions but that would mean less free content/more paid expansions, like GW1 which barely got any content for free.

They confirmed that cash shop money is pretty much for continuous free content updates. And extra profit.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Loke666 said:
    Thane said:
    Loke666 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    And then they charged for the living story =-)
    While they shouldn't have done that I got it for free... But, yeah, that was a stupid decision, anyone who had an account when they living story was out should have gotten it for free.
    isn't that how it worked? haven't payed for a single step up to scarlet's end. and i played em all.
    maybe they changed it after that tho
    If you didn't log on while they were active you have to pay some gems to get access to them (I think it is 300 a story but I can be wrong). Yeah, you can buy gems for in game gold but it still was a stupid decision from them.

I don't think it was stupid. I logged in and played the living story as they came through. As an active player who is contributing to the environment, I don't have to pay. People that are not active and only play in bursts don't get to have the same opportunities. This is exactly right and proper. People that might feel they are entitled to have the same rewards without being active in the community might not like it, but it's good to reward the active playing community.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    IGN just tweeted core GW2 will be free to play and it will get raids. They removed it after a few moments. Reddit has more details.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    QSatu said:
    IGN just tweeted core GW2 will be free to play and it will get raids. They removed it after a few moments. Reddit has more details.
    Can you give a link?  I am not trying to be confrontational, I just want to read more...  Ideally, you can give several links.  That way, I can spend my night reading forums rather than playing games.  I seem to be happier reading forums... :P
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Looks like the instant gratification gen gets there wish again, not talking about those who cannot afford though. Anyways atleast I can try first and see if I want to buy.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
      All players will have access to the new elite class specs, and the new wvw map, even if they don't purchase HoT. The things you don't get, are access to the new regular world zones, the Revenant class, living story, gliders, raids, guild halls, ect. So buying the game is necessary to get to what will now be considered end game pve. SPvP players won't really need to get the xpac if they don't intend to pve, or go to a guild hall.