Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dnd rules version

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
What version of dnd rules will they use?

finally a non MMo game i am looking forward to...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    • Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend
    From their homepage. I kinda wish they used the Pathfinder rules instead but that would probably been an issue with TSR and Paizo. 5th edition is at least acceptable unlike 4th ed.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Loke666 said:
    • Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend
    From their homepage. I kinda wish they used the Pathfinder rules instead but that would probably been an issue with TSR and Paizo. 5th edition is at least acceptable unlike 4th ed.
    Thanks, does anyone have a quick tutorial to 5th edition..  Still stuck with 3.5 when playing PnP..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Never mind, i found this...

http://io9.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-5th-edition-d-d-p-1624519882

Seems we are back to an advanced version of 3rd edition.. Looking forward to this..

http://io9.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-5th-edition-d-d-p-1624519882

Seems we are back to an advanced version of 3rd edition.. Looking forward to this..

Well, in some ways advanced but in other simplified.

Here is Balthazars insane rant about D&D 5th edition:http://www.awesomedice.com/blog/193/balthazar-on-dd-5th-edition/

Anyways Pathfinder is better but 5th is a step in the right direction again for D&D.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Its using 5th edition rules.

I preordered the game but now i am considering cancelling my preorder.

There are several flaws with the game that they are hiding.

- If you play custom created campaign singleplayer, you will only be able to control one character not 4 like in main game. (basically you will be unable to play properly , its only made for multiplayer)
    - There are no branching dialogues
    - All loot is random , even in custom campaigns DM will not be able to create special items.

- If you play custom created campaign singleplayer, you will only be able to control one character not 4 like in main game. (basically you will be unable to play properly , its only made for multiplayer)
    - All loot is random , even in custom campaigns DM will not be able to create special items.
    Well, you can still make custom campaigns for a single player though, but no, you can't solo a campaign for 4 players. No biggie for me, you can PUG them. I think playing without a DM besides the main campaign is a bad idea anyways.

The loot is bad news though, I hope they patch in that later. But I assume you still can add in quest items like artifacts and such?
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I think that 5th edition rules are pretty good actually. I prefer using RuneQuest 6th edition for clunk, or using Fate if it's more of a drama heavy game, but 5th Edition D&D is a very good amalgam of a lot of what I like best about the various D&D rulesets. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Loke666 said:

Here is Balthazars insane rant about D&D 5th edition:http://www.awesomedice.com/blog/193/balthazar-on-dd-5th-edition/

Anyways Pathfinder is better but 5th is a step in the right direction again for D&D.
    I would have to disagree with that. Pahtfinder has the same issues as 3.5 which is it is extremely rule intensive and designed more for "roll" play. 5e is much more like 2e than any version of 3.Xe and is more about "role" playing. It has been extremely well-received and is currently in its 4th printing.  To each their own though....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Loke666 said:

Well, you can still make custom campaigns for a single player though, but no, you can't solo a campaign for 4 players. No biggie for me, you can PUG them. I think playing without a DM besides the main campaign is a bad idea anyways.

The loot is bad news though, I hope they patch in that later. But I assume you still can add in quest items like artifacts and such?

No, i dont think you can.

But as always they say they will look into it post launch. However we all know how reliable are such promises this day and age.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    What game are you guys discussing?
  • ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Loke666 said:

I would have to disagree with that. Pahtfinder has the same issues as 3.5 which is it is extremely rule intensive and designed more for "roll" play. 5e is much more like 2e than any version of 3.Xe and is more about "role" playing. It has been extremely well-received and is currently in its 4th printing.  To each their own though....
    I dunno, what I like with Pathfinder is the huge customization options that both 3X and 5th are nowhere to get near.

It really doesn't affect the role playing in itself, Pathfinder do have plenty of none combat skills.

And I think Pathfinder is on it's ninth print run but it can be more. In any case it was 4th edition that sucked badly.
  • KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Yay, edition wars on MMORPG!

Seriously, why would a game licensed by WotC use Pathfinder ruleset (which is nothing more that a 3.5 ripoff with an animu powergamer's fantasy overtone) ? And as it stands today , the "3.5 but more balanced", as they were selling it, its a huge overbloated mess of its own.

Nah, thanks but no thanks. 5th ed ruleset, while having its own issues, is just fine for both pnp and cRPGs.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

This is interesting information.  So random loot so the DM can't plan appropriate look for further down the campaign...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    That is kind of disappointing but now I can read up on 5th edition D&D. . didn't even know there was one :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DethevanDethevan Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Kalmporos said:
    Yay, edition wars on MMORPG!

Seriously, why would a game licensed by WotC use Pathfinder ruleset (which is nothing more that a 3.5 ripoff with an animu powergamer's fantasy overtone) ? And as it stands today , the "3.5 but more balanced", as they were selling it, its a huge overbloated mess of its own.

Nah, thanks but no thanks. 5th ed ruleset, while having its own issues, is just fine for both pnp and cRPGs.

Actually, Pathfinder is what 4th ed. was originally going to be.  WoTC had partnered with Paizo to create 4th ed., but decided that they wanted to scrap it and create what we have today.  WoTC allowed Paizo to keep what they had and publish it under their open rules.  Of course they had to remove the copyrighted things such as mindflayers, beholders, deities, etc.

Yes, it can be overbloated, but that's why as the DM you sit with your group and come up with house rules to eliminate some of that bloat.  One we always used was that you can't have more than one archetype per main class since with the original rules you could have as many archetypes of a class (with their own levels since it is considered multiclassing) as long as none of the archetypes have new abilities that replace the same main class ability (so as a cleric you couldn't have two archetypes that change your channel).

But on subject, I do think the random loot is a big con for me.  not big enough to make me not want to play it, but it is kind of a let down.  I too hope they patch it to where you can create your own loot tables in the future.

Currently playing EverQuest 2

Aethaeryn said:
    That is kind of disappointing but now I can read up on 5th edition D&D. . didn't even know there was one :)

Well, it isn't bad evebn though I don't agree with Kalmporos... I am more worried when they set the campaign, 4th edition totally ruined the FR setting, moving it 200 years forward, killing off many of the gods, broke the world and generally messed things up.

FR hold up a rather high quality from release until they set up things for that with some books and then put out the 4th edition FR. The whole magic plague and everything were really crappy and the world was never like it used to be after that.

Now, I havn't seen any FR 5th edition sourcebooks yet but I hope they have set it before 1372 DR when the game world started to fell apart. And I honestly hope WotC back the time and skip the entire timeline, letting us wake up and see Bobby in the shower so to say.

Then again, I had hoped Disney would have done the same with the Star wars prequels, the likeness is not totally off since FR 4th edition was a disaster of Jar-Jarian proportions.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    WotC knows they messed up royally with 4ed.  5ed FR seems to be a reboot of sorts.  Old gods are coming back as are many of the old characters.  

Heck, even 5ed seems like a more streamlined version of 3.5.