Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom running out of money

RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/35895/General-Funcom-Looking-for-Investment-Acquisition-or-Merger.html

How do our regular TSW forum visitors think about this? To me it seems changes are coming whether you want them or not.

Comments

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Well, I'm sure those commentators who have made it their life's crusade to herald TSW's impending doom will be thrilled.  I mean, it has been 3 years of dire prognostications... they have to be right eventually, right?  

I'm not thrilled about this news, but we'll see what happens.  Hopefully Funcom will get the investment they need to continue TSW development... Issue 12 looks pretty impressive, and the addition of dungeons *and* raids will hopefully bring back new and lapsed players.  Issue 13 promises to be PvP-centric.  Again, we'll see.

In the meantime, I'll continue playing TSW, tossing money their way when I can and enjoying myself thoroughly.  

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Oh come on now. It's been three years of dire predictions *beginning* with the game selling a small fraction of the copies predicted and the CEO and major stockholder dumping his shares and fleeing like a rat off a sinking ship. GR3NDEL said:
    Well, I'm sure those commentators who have made it their life's crusade to herald TSW's impending doom will be thrilled.  I mean, it has been 3 years of dire prognostications... they have to be right eventually, right?  
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    True, what Ucci said.  If they released any of their games under NCSoft, they'd have been closed down within the year, especially TSW.  Though honestly that's more of a burn to NCSoft than Funcom.  I think all their games deserve to exist and they should get points for going after niche markets.

I especially hoped TSW would have done better, at least initially, to indicate an interest in bringing modern horror into an MMO.  As imperfect as it is, the quests and the atmosphere are top notch, even if that atmosphere resides in a tiny, tiny world.

Point being, if it goes south, it's probably unlikely that anything like it will whoosh in to take its place.
  • SquireXSquireX Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Man I hope they pull through.  I absolutely love TSW.  I actually even went ahead and purchased Lego MO yesterday for $15 to throw some extra love Funcom's way.  It's actually not a bad game and the cross platform with tablets is an interesting synergy.  I think the "1/2 off price" is probably the reasonable amount for the game. 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think it's a great game and will be sorry to see it go.  Hopefully, there is some creative machinations taking place behind the scenes that help them pull through.

I self identify as a monkey.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2015
    The problem is this is a perpetuating cycle. Doom and gloom posts breed wait and see apporaches whic costs the company money which generates doom and gloom posts which breeds.......

(Assuming the posts are accurate)
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I hope they do go under so TSW can get the development it deserves when someone else picks it up.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Its just too bad that the moderately fun title TSW launched in the shadow of a great game like GW2. It would have done better if there were more people actually needing something to play. Too bad for timing. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I really don't know how they have survived as long as they have.   Easy to see issues in hindsight, but there were plenty of people trying to tell the company that they needed to change various things.  They didn't listen. They went in their own direction which is fair enough to them.   But you could rewind this a few years and have seen an entirely different story.  This company always had 'potential' it was just never realised.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    This is not really news, they have been looking for a buyer/investor since they said they would not be doing any more MMOs a couple years ago...
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Burntvet said:
    This is not really news, they have been looking for a buyer/investor since they said they would not be doing any more MMOs a couple years ago...
    Yet they went ahead with a crap lego mmo

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Ehllfhire said:
    Burntvet said:
    And now they are broke, so I guess they should have stuck to games "more limited in scope" like they said they were going to.
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Ehllfhire said:
    When a previous Lego MMO has already failed.  So not like the writing was on the wall there...