The end of Funcom

1235»

Comments

• DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Davirok said:
    Funcom had great ideas and translated them poorly into products: -

AoC

The idea: An adult MMORPG with blood and (for the time) relatively complex sequential button pressing, a great lore and a great story. 

The reality: A really fun starter area followed by buggy and unfinished grind released far too early. 

I think you are really wrong here, this point of view seems to be coming from someone that has never played the game in depth. 

The game took some months to become the awesome experience it became for hardcore PvP players and raiders.
    You will notice I said "released far too early".  I played this game at release, I played it before the F2P transition and after.  No doubt I enjoyed it after  they had filled in the many gaps at release. But releasing a bad or unfinished game; that is hard to recover from. You sound like you are trying to argue against first impressions, yet we all know they count for a lot.  
    No one needs your 7 year old first impression. It has zero relevance to the current game or this discussion. Leave it in the past. Man, you must carry a lot of emotional baggage.

Torval said:
    Deasant said:
    Torval said:
    Braindome said:
    All I will miss is Tortage.
    I don't think the games are going anywhere and Funcom has been trying to find a buyer/merger for a while now. However, if they did close it I would miss Tortage the most. The game after isn't bad, but somewhere around the mid 50's it sort of loses its traction with me. Monotonous is too strong a word but that's the general idea. The Conqueror is one of my favorite melee classes of all time though. It was a blast to play.
    So for those of you that never hit 80 and played end game in AoC, you missed one of the best MMOs ever. To this date it is still top notch. The raiding, the solo options, the group dungeons. Khitai and the post 80 content and the raids are more than half of this game. It truly is an example of the game beginning at level cap.  The Alternate Advancement. Not to mention the class diversity 
    I didn't miss anything. Having fun starting at end game doesn't work for me. I don't need to be at end game to enjoy class diversity. When I played 80 wasn't the end game either. Like I said, it has a tedium to progression and content that isn't fun. The payment model sucks. I hate the deal where I paid for content but needed to pay again to access it. Having AA and other systems crippled without a sub isn't fun. It's not a bad game at all and if it works for you, great. There are just better, friendlier options that I have more fun with out there for me now.
    80 has ALWAYS been end game. 

Why are are you talking as if you don't understand subscription model? Or are we pretending that it it wasn't the only model used by MMOs when released. 

So you're saying you want access to the entire game for free now?

Choose what you want to play, not trying to stop you. Just calling out your BS for the sake of an honest discussion.
  • the.facethe.face Newton, KSMember UncommonPosts: 14
    AOC is still the best PVE MMO out there IMO.  It's combat system for melee is still the most skill intensive (if you don't use macros) and requires good positioning to be effective.  Healing is unique, and really only the 2 pure caster classes are all that cookie cutter.  IF it was a pure aim combat game, it would be perfect.  Best character quest in any mmo as well, just not unique to each class (so repetative).

It is a 'tab' targeter for the ranger, casters and 2 caster healer classes, but melee is absolutely not tab targeting in the normal sense.  Turning off auto-facing is important, as your weapons can cause splash damage.  Fatalities are pretty cool too.

You can raid/solo/6-man and even the normal solo content can be a challenge. It's alternate advancement system is great as well, along with pretty nice and meaningful skill choices.  Great unique classes, too.

It's brutal, ancient world feel is unique to the entirety of MMO's.  No dwarves or elves or pandas either.  The zones are well crafted, and as you progress they get pretty complicated to navigate.  Aztell's Approach, for example, is a challenge at level because the guards are constantly sending warning signals and you can get overrun easily. 

The Khitai zone is probably the best end-game content in any MMO period.  It has challenging mobs (unless your full khitai or T4+ gear) and really does benefit in the areas above Chosain to have a group to progress.  It is grindy, though, which is it's only downfall.  IF the mobs were pushovers, sure it would be boring.

The vanity armor system is probably the best out there currently, although the soldier classes get the most bang for your social armor budget.  Doing old quests often will get you a pretty unique piece, or crafted armor (Stoneheart Leggings for example).

The shop, though, is expensive.  It also requires a sub to really play through at all (you gain AA points as you level, 1 per level with a sub).  The expansion zones all cost money, too, and the newer ones are not as good as Khitai.  Ardashir is pretty cool, and the solo dungeon is pretty cool.  Tier 1 raid / PVP gear and full level 80's are available, but pricey.  A nice option for a new player, though, if it wasn't so expensive.  

Leveling is pretty tough, but there are many things you can do to help IE offline levels (for subs) and a free level 50 when you reach level 50 on your first toon.  Pretty cool IMO.  Offline allows for a single level every 4 days of paid sub.  Good value.  

Dungeons and raids are excellent, and they have tough mechanics that require certain mixes of archtypes to perform in many cases.  This is cool IMO.

Funcom, though, has had a pretty bad reputation for not getting things done, and with their tiny dev team it's moved at a snails pace in the last few years.  The crafting system for example :).

I just hope there is a way to run the servers if they do go out of business.  I always come back to this game, it is amazing, and most the bugs are gone.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Old Folks Home, CAMember UncommonPosts: 1,010
    t0nyd said:
    I could rant on forever about the endless stupidity of Funcom.  They dont even seem to get the theme of their own creations.  Shadowlands is a shining example of theme breaking expansion.  You take a great setting in Anarchy Online and try to add fantasy into a sci fi game.  I really wanted to love Anarchy online since it was the only sci fi game in town for a long time.

Anarchy online sums up Funcom in its first attempt at mmorpg's.  Funcom created a great sci-fi based theme about a civilization controlled by a giant corporation and then dumbed it down.  Nanotechnicians and Metaphysicists which are basically mage looking classes from any generic mmorpg out there, do not belong in this game.  They added all these lovely skills but then gave such limited options per professions that the number of skills has no real impact. To top it off to this day viable weapon choices are limited.  You would think there would be a multitude of weapons choices since this game is old as hell but nope.  Skill based games by definition are about player choice and not random restrictions placed upon the player such as locking weapons to specific professions.  If the best shotgun is trader only and as, lets just choose a random prof, as a Crat why would I want to train shotgun knowing it costs me more skill points to train than a trader and that I cant even wield some of the better shotguns.

To this day I want Anarchy online to be the game that I imagined when I first laid eyes on it. Funcom, what a disappointing company...
    Holy crap, have you been holding that rant in since 2003?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• moonboundmoonbound Middle EarthMember UncommonPosts: 396
    t0nyd said:
    I could rant on forever about the endless stupidity of Funcom.  They dont even seem to get the theme of their own creations.  Shadowlands is a shining example of theme breaking expansion.  You take a great setting in Anarchy Online and try to add fantasy into a sci fi game.  I really wanted to love Anarchy online since it was the only sci fi game in town for a long time.

Anarchy online sums up Funcom in its first attempt at mmorpg's.  Funcom created a great sci-fi based theme about a civilization controlled by a giant corporation and then dumbed it down.  Nanotechnicians and Metaphysicists which are basically mage looking classes from any generic mmorpg out there, do not belong in this game.  They added all these lovely skills but then gave such limited options per professions that the number of skills has no real impact. To top it off to this day viable weapon choices are limited.  You would think there would be a multitude of weapons choices since this game is old as hell but nope.  Skill based games by definition are about player choice and not random restrictions placed upon the player such as locking weapons to specific professions.  If the best shotgun is trader only and as, lets just choose a random prof, as a Crat why would I want to train shotgun knowing it costs me more skill points to train than a trader and that I cant even wield some of the better shotguns.

To this day I want Anarchy online to be the game that I imagined when I first laid eyes on it. Funcom, what a disappointing company...
    I disagree if you played sci fi at all you would know that nano tech and metaphysics exists in other sci fi games that are not mmorpgs, I found it added allot of fun to the game, this is far from the reason why anarchy online stopped doing well just confusing your opinion with fact.
  • octaocta Montreal, QCMember UncommonPosts: 245
    lahnmir said:
    Wow, some of you people..... You actually wish it upon somebody else to be unemployed or 'Flip burgers at Mc Donalds' with all the consequences for him/her and their family over a stupid videogame? What is wrong with you, no really, did you attent special school or something? A frigging stupid video game, are you 12?

What an asinine stance.  Videogames are a billion dollar industry.  To try and trivialize consumer fraud because of the type of product is incredibly ignorant.  Companies and their employees should be held accountable for bad business practices.  It took some years but it looks like it's finally coming around to deservedly hit Funcom. 

People paid for this game with hard earned money and what they got at launch was a skeleton of its potential. MMOs seem to get away with this constantly - Funcom more than others!  They did this with two games in a row!

Look beyond your affection and preconceptions of what videogames are and boil down the complaint to simply this:  The product we were provided at launch was not what they advertised.  

That's NOT OK!  You shouldn't be OK with it.  Stop trying to defend practices that are against your best interest!
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 962
    edited August 2015
    octa said:
    lahnmir said:
    Wow, some of you people..... You actually wish it upon somebody else to be unemployed or 'Flip burgers at Mc Donalds' with all the consequences for him/her and their family over a stupid videogame? What is wrong with you, no really, did you attent special school or something? A frigging stupid video game, are you 12?

What an asinine stance.  Videogames are a billion dollar industry.  To try and trivialize consumer fraud because of the type of product is incredibly ignorant.  Companies and their employees should be held accountable for bad business practices.  It took some years but it looks like it's finally coming around to deservedly hit Funcom. 

People paid for this game with hard earned money and what they got at launch was a skeleton of its potential. MMOs seem to get away with this constantly - Funcom more than others!  They did this with two games in a row!

Look beyond your affection and preconceptions of what videogames are and boil down the complaint to simply this:  The product we were provided at launch was not what they advertised.  

That's NOT OK!  You shouldn't be OK with it.  Stop trying to defend practices that are against your best interest!
    Consumer fraud is wrong, on all levels, I agree. However, there are distinctions to be made. You can not honestly compare videogames that do not deliver to say, the pharmaceutical industry and their false promises and medication with dangerous side effects. My point still stands, consumer fraud might be wrong but wishing others harm is pathetically childish. No where do I say I am ok with what is happening by the way. The reactions and responses here are ridiculous though, getting THAT worked up about something so unimportant is what I call ignorant. Assuming I do not know what videogames are or that I do not care about the situation is asinine, I only observed an extremely exaggerated response and that it was silly, it says nothing about my stance or knowledge about the videogame industry.

On another note, I heave NEVER gotten a product the way it was advertised. Not with food, not with cars, not with excersise programs or music, not with movies, not with ANYTHING, products NEVER exactly deliver what was promised by advertisement. That does not make it okay by any means, but please, everyone does it everywhere.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

lahnmir said:
    octa said:
    lahnmir said:

Consumer fraud is wrong, on all levels, I agree. However, there are distinctions to be made. You can not honestly compare videogames that do not deliver to say, the pharmaceutical industry and their false promises and medication with dangerous side effects. My point still stands, consumer fraud might be wrong but wishing others harm is pathetically childish. No where do I say I am ok with what is happening by the way. The reactions and responses here are ridiculous though, getting THAT worked up about something so unimportant is what I call ignorant. Assuming I do not know what videogames are or that I do not care about the situation is asinine, I only observed an extremely exaggerated response and that it was silly, it says nothing about my stance or knowledge about the videogame industry.

On another note, I heave NEVER gotten a product the way it was advertised. Not with food, not with cars, not with excersise programs or music, not with movies, not with ANYTHING, products NEVER exactly deliver what was promised by advertisement. That does not make it okay by any means, but please, everyone does it everywhere.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    At least you got your profile pic spot on.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,053
    Deasant said:
    80 has ALWAYS been end game. 

Why are are you talking as if you don't understand subscription model? Or are we pretending that it it wasn't the only model used by MMOs when released. 

So you're saying you want access to the entire game for free now?

Choose what you want to play, not trying to stop you. Just calling out your BS for the sake of an honest discussion.
    The rest of the game used to be relevant. The level cap is 80, but the game didn't used to start there like you're implying. 80 wasn't the end game. People ran dungeons and quests. There was an interesting game before 80. The game wasn't all about being 80. Is that clear enough?

Yes, I think they if they're going to call themselves F2P they should open up the game. Even if they want to gate xpacs for a box fee if you bought the content xpac then you should have access without a sub. If not then they should stop calling the game f2p and call it a sub game with a limited trial.

I will and did choose. Just being honest. Their payment model, whatever it is, is shit. Obviously their ship is sinking or they wouldn't be begging for a buyout. Maybe they should pull their collective heads out and look around. They have games with great potential and then shoot themselves in the foot with stupid business and design decisions.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • SuilebhainSuilebhain Lutz, FLMember UncommonPosts: 54
    My main beef was how Funcom would not give us a PVE-RP server in AOC, then they did nothing to impede griefing, how the griefers could camp the respawn points in Cimmeria and you were no longer allowed to change instances to avoid them. Cimmeria was way too small, one valley.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Hariken said:
    Sad Anarchy Online was my first mmo in 2000. But i'm not shocked by any of this. All their games have pockets of genius in them along with some of the most annoying combat i've ever played. It would be great if AO got picked up by someone that cares about the game. The other games i don't care about.
    MMO's are a dieing breed..... No company in there right mind would touch an MMO that is old as these... and invest millions..Sorry not going to happen...With gamers attitudes today, I would never do it...Not worth losing my money..They are never happy period....

Console and Android, IOS games have more money and less whining...
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,709
    Hariken said:
    Sad Anarchy Online was my first mmo in 2000. But i'm not shocked by any of this. All their games have pockets of genius in them along with some of the most annoying combat i've ever played. It would be great if AO got picked up by someone that cares about the game. The other games i don't care about.
    MMO's are a dieing breed..... No company in there right mind would touch an MMO that is old as these... and invest millions..Sorry not going to happen...With gamers attitudes today, I would never do it...Not worth losing my money..They are never happy period....

Console and Android, IOS games have more money and less whining...
    Cool point....but necro'ing is so 2015
  • AmanaAmana New York, NYModerator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This post was last active four months ago. Closing it.

To give feedback on moderation, contact mikeb@mmorpg.com

This discussion has been closed.