Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmmm I think it must be me, but this game is ehhhhh

JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I played beta, wasn't a fan. Then tamriel unlimited was released and it went B2P, many people had said so much had changed, it's so fun now, etc. etc. combat is worlds better, etc. but it feels all the same to me :( Silly easy quest grind, quick 5-10 second battles and mobs are all dead... then what? Does this always continue like this? lol

I got to level 10 in about a day and it all feels the same. I think I only made it to 20 in beta before quitting, but is this hopeless for me? There is no challenge, solo everything and the quest grind is so damn grindy.

I was tricked by the hype!!!

Comments

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I've never come across a more group unfriendly "MMO" as ESO.  So no, I don't think it will change from a solo quest game to something more.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It's not just you OP.  However, chances are some of the ESO players will find whatever game you enjoy as "ehhhh" as well.  Such is the life of the MMO gamer lol.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm enjoying it. Still great fun. I think you just have to find the play style that you enjoy. I found I love the Nightblade, and the legerdemain skill line. Pick pocketing, and fencing goods is a blast. But that might just be me.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    It may not be for you. I wouldn't expect the hard challenges at level ten, though.

I think Rodingo summed it up well.

I like ESO b/c I can't fi d another AAA mmo with the same ability to build a character the way I want, or combat that is tactical with block and dodge and resources to manage, not spamming skills on CD.

But thosearehugely important things to me, but likely not others.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

I played beta, wasn't a fan. Then tamriel unlimited was released and it went B2P, many people had said so much had changed, it's so fun now, etc. etc. combat is worlds better, etc. but it feels all the same to me :( Silly easy quest grind, quick 5-10 second battles and mobs are all dead... then what? Does this always continue like this? lol

I got to level 10 in about a day and it all feels the same. I think I only made it to 20 in beta before quitting, but is this hopeless for me? There is no challenge, solo everything and the quest grind is so damn grindy.

The new DLC coming 8-31 has the hardest NPCs in game in a pvp/pve huge area. Check it out.

1-50 is super easy. Head out to Craglorn, the vet area while waiting for the DLC, then tell us what you think. Trust me the challenge is there and more is coming. It's just not in the 1-50 zones image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Yeah, I suppose it's not meant to be... I will check out the DLC and see how that is before officially calling it quits... if i can make it to 50 hehe.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Not every game is for everyone.  At least you gave it a shot and then decided.  Too many seem to decide based on everything but.  I just started playing again, and am enjoying myself so far.  Nothing ground breaking, but will be fun for a while while I'm waiting for some of the sandboxy games coming out.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Icky_BlehIcky_Bleh Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Sucks to be you OP. Im having a blast playing it on Xbox One. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

It's not you, I have returned to the game about 3 times.....still tempted to try again because I always hear more hype lol. Always the same result. Just can't get into it, not sure what it is.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

hmmmm, depends. I don't really think Zenimax said anything about the game being completely revamped from what it was and it beign entirely "new".

Still the same game. is the combat better? Sure I suppose some things are better but "what" did they say exactly?

I've said this before and I suppose I'll have to keep saying it but too often it's the players who are supplying their own narratives in regards to "what is being said".

Having said that, I suppose it's possible that other players are having a better experience than launch simply because a lot of bugs were worked out. But I don't recall anyone saying that the game was "night and day" and then they supplied details on how it was "night and day"  that essentially said it was an entirely new experience.

I can believe that some players would have said "oh, it's like a different game" but unless someone details "how", what would make you believe them other than someone saying some blanket statement and you saying 'well it must be true!"

Too often I see someone come to the forums saying "hey guys I really want to like this game but blah blah blah" and then "one" person says "game blows" or "game is way better" and they leave it at that the the person seeking advice takes that one person's blanket statement as gospel.

So maybe in the end it's not that you were tricked but you wanted to be convinced.

Or maybe someone blatantly lied to you?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Could someone suggest a challenging game for this poor fellow?

Sounds like he wants a game which requires grouping  and is not solo friendly,    And minimal quest grind please.   No mention of story or lore so that seems unimportant.   Ditto for crafting.

And no hype please!!  Also do not suggest EvE because well........it's EvE.

Thank you.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Only MMO I know that you can just stand there and get credit for a quest by not doing a thing. That is what kills the game the most at least to me. Who ever came up with the idea of letting this go live in the game should be fired and ran out of town on a rail!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by Sovrath

hmmmm, depends. I don't really think Zenimax said anything about the game being completely revamped from what it was and it beign entirely "new".

Still the same game. is the combat better? Sure I suppose some things are better but "what" did they say exactly?

I've said this before and I suppose I'll have to keep saying it but too often it's the players who are supplying their own narratives in regards to "what is being said".

Having said that, I suppose it's possible that other players are having a better experience than launch simply because a lot of bugs were worked out. But I don't recall anyone saying that the game was "night and day" and then they supplied details on how it was "night and day"  that essentially said it was an entirely new experience.

I can believe that some players would have said "oh, it's like a different game" but unless someone details "how", what would make you believe them other than someone saying some blanket statement and you saying 'well it must be true!"

Too often I see someone come to the forums saying "hey guys I really want to like this game but blah blah blah" and then "one" person says "game blows" or "game is way better" and they leave it at that the the person seeking advice takes that one person's blanket statement as gospel.

So maybe in the end it's not that you were tricked but you wanted to be convinced.

Or maybe someone blatantly lied to you?

I've read numerous posts on reddit, forums like these, metacritic where they say TU made combat more fluid, much faster (not sure if that means they lowered mob health) and just in general that its phasing and stuff is fixed. Perhaps I'm reading too much reddit these days haha.

I'm thinking at this time there isn't an mmo for me. I've played pretty much all at this point. I think I will have to go into mmo hibernation until something a little more sand boxy comes out!
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

The phasing is ESO is so not fixed. Maybe way less bugs, but it still offers a few too many hoops to just playing with people even in the same range as you. :p

Combat is "better" in that hit registry has been improved and the soft lock mechanic is easier to work with, but it's still fundamentally broken in that it's the same targeting mechanic as tabbing just masked into an action gameplay style akin to Tabula Rasa, which introduces it's own set of oddities like heat-seeking arrows and continued quirks in hit registry with blocking/dodging.

For a game that likes to tout the lore, they are really not delivering it well for the most part as it's the classic method of inundating you with text most of the time that most people skip right on through. This gets exacerbated by players essentially sprinting through dungeons and quests to get to...not much really. PvP raiding and twinking your gear to wait for that next questing update that'll last you all of a half hour before you loiter around town saying silly stuff in chat while wearing your shiniest armor.

That said. I am actually playing it again and enjoying it more than I did at launch. Perhaps the biggest thing for me being that I ignore the broken lore and don't really regard it as an elder scrolls game, to which I instead spend my time tinkering with some RP and thematically just playing as a sell-sword type character while stabbinating the countryside.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227

I just couldn't handle the insanely repetitive combat rotations, I realize they had to dumb combat down as far as possible to be viable for console... but honestly.

One rotation over and over and over.. I dislike using this, but it is the game I'm playing right now; Skyforge's combat is infinitely better. Something as simple as building a big hit  up only to have to make a choice to follow through or get crushed, ESO can't doesn't have that.. it just has "this is the maximum dps rotation" do it over and over and over.

Don't get me started on ESO pvp either, Aion forts were a lot more fun.

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673

The real improvements in ESO have been to get rid of the bots and bugs (most of them) and polish what was already there. Nothing has really fundamentally changed. That said,the game was such a mess at release that I swiftly quit, but when I came back it was in such an improved state that I enjoy it a lot now.  

There are faults with the game. My main is a mage and during levelling from 1-50 you really do just throw 2-3 spells at most mobs. The Veteran Ranks are also an unashamed grind.  The levelling is also group unfriendly.

However, as a solo levelling experience I have rarely had more fun playing through story quests in an mmo, and the phasing is extremely well implemented in terms of the world permanently changing around you as a result of your actions. I also find the combat fun as it feels twitchy and fast paced and allows a lot of customisation. For me it is the best mmo on the market currently.   

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Deivos

The phasing is ESO is so not fixed. Maybe way less bugs, but it still offers a few too many hoops to just playing with people even in the same range as you. :p

Combat is "better" in that hit registry has been improved and the soft lock mechanic is easier to work with, but it's still fundamentally broken in that it's the same targeting mechanic as tabbing just masked into an action gameplay style akin to Tabula Rasa, which introduces it's own set of oddities like heat-seeking arrows and continued quirks in hit registry with blocking/dodging.

For a game that likes to tout the lore, they are really not delivering it well for the most part as it's the classic method of inundating you with text most of the time that most people skip right on through. This gets exacerbated by players essentially sprinting through dungeons and quests to get to...not much really. PvP raiding and twinking your gear to wait for that next questing update that'll last you all of a half hour before you loiter around town saying silly stuff in chat while wearing your shiniest armor.

That said. I am actually playing it again and enjoying it more than I did at launch. Perhaps the biggest thing for me being that I ignore the broken lore and don't really regard it as an elder scrolls game, to which I instead spend my time tinkering with some RP and thematically just playing as a sell-sword type character while stabbinating the countryside.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the next person you talked to asked you a question relating to what the previous quest NPC spoke of?   You would need to have read the text and answered the question correctly before you could advance in the quest.   Skip through at your own risk!

Literacy would probably skyrocket!!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Hmmm, I think it is essentially the same game it was in beta, but the skills system has been totally revamped and some of the really annoying issues like difficulty grouping with friends have been fixed. Some of the earlier content actually seems to have been nerfed- the boss fights on solo guild quests seem easier to me.

That said, I have played low level dungeons in ESO where the group wiped several times and we only managed to beat it because I was online with a friend and able to coordinate properly over voice. And I can't recall off the top of my head any mmo or indeed rpg where fights with normal mobs didn't amount to 5-10 sec battles and then all dead.

The quest grind is real though; I end up pvping all the time whenever I play. Usually, I just grind mobs to level 15 then hop into the non-vet campaign. But that's mainly because the pvp is so amazing; the pve is actually great for an mmo imo.

When I do take the time to roam around pve land, it seems fairly deep- go and find unexplored delves, mini bosses, try and become a vampire, rake in money pilfering everything in sight while avoiding the guards, find random treasures, maps for treasure hunts, team up and enter harder areas/dungeons. Seems pretty robust and the atmosphere is great if you like that style.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Unfortunately, now that WoW is officially alienated me...  I've been jumping around between MMO's trying to find SOMETHING to enjoy.

FFXIV ARR = Garbage.  Combat is horrible, the GCD is beyond bad and feels like I'm playing some 1990's game.

SWTOR = Garbage.  The F2P model is horrid.  Sure, you can just sub... But the fact that they made one of the worst F2P models ever makes me hate the game regardless!  I know that sounds stupid...

Wildstar = Meh.  I got it at launch, rushed to max level (I think?) and got bored.  Instances were pretty hard in some situations which isn't a bad thing but makes for a lot of nerd-rage groups that just bring the community down.  The grind to gear up was pretty bad and didn't feel very rewarding...

Skyforge = Grinding Asian feeling MMO.  I think it's actually Russian?  Anyway, the fact that 90% of the game is played from a Hub where you ship out to instanced areas makes it feel pretty dead in general.  Follow that up with an insane grind to collect countless different currencies which are used to unlock every random thing in the game.  

Tera = Meh.  Again, I purchased this back in the day, grinded up to max level... I think?  And found it pretty lacking.  Also, I absolutely HATE the Asian MMO standard which has you UPGRADING equipment with increasingly lower chance of success.  This almost always turns into a Pay-2-Win cash shop situation where real money = success.

There are countless other MMO's floating around these days but I feel so many of them aren't even worth mentioning.  You'll have a small group of players that really get hooked on them, are "top" players in that game... and then the rest of the community are just peons that come and go without ever setting up shop for any useful length of time.  
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Icky_Bleh said:
    Sucks to be you OP. Im having a blast playing it on Xbox One. 
    Me too, beta'd it on PC and I'll admit on that I only gave it 3 months to sort out issues before leaving it for awhile to sort itself out, which it partly did and beta'd the Xbox one and am enjoying that despite its .. Issues

giving it to level 10? Seriously? Everything is easy to kill then and if you think how it's mostly aimed at the TES crowd who play Skyrim etc modded on steam .. It's not surprising it's easy.  If it wasn't you'd get a lot of moans how x could kill a dragon with a plain sword at level 4 in Skyrim etc etc .. Must be awful having to judge balance between the influx of newer mmo players they wanted and more, err, aged? No, umm, mature? Nope not that either umm, let's stick with more learned PC mmo types lol

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2015
    If you dont like it at lvl10, you can quit worry free, its doesnt get any "better". Thats how ESO playes, like it or hate it.

And lvl50 is nothing, getting to vr14 (soon 16) takes twice as long.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    With all the issues with this game there is one thing it has and that is the power to keep pulling you back in.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Nights in white satin, never reaching the end, letters I've written, never meaning to send, beauties I've always missed, with these eyes before, just what the truth is, I can't tell anymore... I was going to type a proper response, but then I typed that. 
  • Arcane4176Arcane4176 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Tried it and felt like i was playing a solo rpg.  No thanks , great graphics though!