Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest 2 made a Time lock server for nostalga

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

If World of Warcraft were reputable they would do the same. Nine million players are waiting to come back for nostalgia.

Why not ?......I feel is if I should say it again, why not ?

Greed maybe ?.......Not a good business discussion Maybe ?

What ever happened to, being for the players ?

Comments

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Nobody wants to play game mechanics from 2004.  Old school WoW would suck balls.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by FuryV
    Nobody wants to play game mechanics from 2004.  Old school WoW would suck balls.

This isn't for you or the next 10 posters, it's about nine million others.

• JHLotBJHLotB Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Go play a populated private vanilla server and see how "fun" it is.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I would definitely play a time bound server. Now I have experienced most of the content so probably will burn out quite quickly though...

i loved levelling in vanilla wow, I would roll a horde for the first time and play that. I definitely won't be raiding or doing the insane pvp grind cause those were for no lifers back in vanilla.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by delete5230

Where the hell are you even getting this "nine million" number from?  You have zero credibility with that statement.

Originally posted by JHLotB
    Go play a populated private vanilla server and see how "fun" it is.

I am. 

Along with 6 other co workers last winter.  This winter we have 14 of us lined up to play together.

The game is very populated, and everyone is having fun :)

Where the hell are you even getting this "nine million" number from?  You have zero credibility with that statement.

It's a made up number, just like EVERYONE ELSES GUESS.

No one is even close to knowing true populations.....That's where nine million is coming from.

And yes, millions quit !

• ArtwolfArtwolf Member UncommonPosts: 48

The only drawback I can see is it would split the player base having the game live on two different patches. I would assume at the very least you would have people making fixes on the nostalgia server(s) and at the most actually have a team dedicated to possibly releasing new additions for it.

I'm not sure WoW is down far enough yet for them to make alternate server types.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

There always seems to be technical reasons why they can't just like SWG.

I don't think they are doing it for greed , if as you suggest, nine million people would play.

My guess is that a lot of people would come back for a few months. . that makes it likely not worth their time to figure out what patch, server code etc. to run with and set up the server.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Didn't they say they no longer have the code to do that.
    Chamber of Chains
  • skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

There are a lot of people playing on 1.12 vanilla servers and 3.3.5 wotlk private servers.

There used to not be many options for 1.12 vanilla, but I just looked into it a few days ago and apparently there a a few large pop vanilla servers now.

I never really got into wow myself... I started playing for about a year and a half  before cata launched then quit a few weeks after cata.

After cata came out I played on a Wotlk server for a few months then tried a 1.12 vanilla server for about a month.

I feel like there would be a lot of people playing if blizzard made a vanilla server.

They could even make a f2p/b2p vanilla server with a cash shop.

I personally have zero interest in WOW these days, or any mmorpg really. If i was going to play wow it would be vanilla or BC though.

Vanilla with RDF would be nice.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by cheyane

I hope they use some software for software versioning and revision control (also for 3rd party software they use(d)). There can be quite some dependencies when trying to get code running from a year ago.

Well, you can do it the professional way or the ignorant way.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

If a geek in a basement like myself can keep files and data from my DOS days intact and well kept... I think a big company like that could do too.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

If World of Warcraft were reputable they would do the same. Nine million players are waiting to come back for nostalgia.

Why not ?......I feel is if I should say it again, why not ?

Greed maybe ?.......Not a good business discussion Maybe ?

What ever happened to, being for the players ?

It would be cool. But currently and in the near future I wouldn't play it.

I'd only be interested in modifiying the NPCs (AI behaviour) and game mechanics (including adding races and classes). It'd be sure fun to change things to D&D, GURPS or the Shadowrun system.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by theAsna

I hope they use some software for software versioning and revision control (also for 3rd party software they use(d)). There can be quite some dependencies when trying to get code running from a year ago.

Well, you can do it the professional way or the ignorant way.

This request for vanilla servers has been around for a while. Blizzard have categorically stated that they don't have the code. They replace all existing data when they develop a new patch. There have been like a dozen official statements on this. The only way for them to run a genuine vanilla server is to do a lot of work on it. It's probably on the same level of work as making a new expansion. 

Sadly at the moment no one has the original vanilla code. You can easily get hold of player clients for almost every wow version but the client side of the code is gone now. Those private servers worked on a lot of work a rounds and reverse engineering. This is why even vanilla servers are still full of bugs 10 years after wows launch. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Simply because Blizzard have decided it is not worth the hassle (or they can't.) People on these forums seem to think that they are the first to come up with the idea, like Blizzard do not know these things as well. People say 1 year with no new content is ridiculous (which I totally agree with, by the way) and yet you are wanting to have servers that will be on the same patch with no changes... ever. Seriously, get over the idea, Blizzard have clearly decided that it simply isn't worth it to them and as they are a business and not a charity, you won't be able to win them over with "I say it will be like this because really, nobody knows any better". 
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    EQ2 also has 11 expansions for people to progress through.  WoW has...5...and one of those completely changed the base game meaning all that code is probably gone and wouldn't play nice with the current build. I say way 5 more expansions and then start asking for a progression server.  Wanting a vanilla experience is a bit silly IMO, as the game had a ton of issues that were fixed through subsequent expansions.  Granted they went and overfixed a lot of stuff past Wrath of the Lich King, but hey, that's where we're at now. I hear there are private servers one can go play on to get the nostalgic buzz you crave.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    fivoroth said:

I would definitely play a time bound server. Now I have experienced most of the content so probably will burn out quite quickly though...

i loved levelling in vanilla wow, I would roll a horde for the first time and play that. I definitely won't be raiding or doing the insane pvp grind cause those were for no lifers back in vanilla.You would go back before battle grounds when the only PVP was World  PVP. 

TM & Crossroads that was Vanilla Wow.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    You would go back before battlegrounds before the PVP grind. PVP was TM & Crossroads that was Vanilla Wow not post battlegrounds.