Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That certain something....

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I really love everything about GW2.  From the combat, lore, presentation, character options, art style... I even love the cash shop.  I really do love everything about the game.

But.... here's the weird part.  Ever single time I log into the game, I find myself just running around in circles in lion's arch for like 30-40 min, and logging off without actually doing anything.  All of my characters are maxed level, I've done all of the story content, and while I enjoy the PvP, I only really enjoy doing it with friends.  I really can't put my finger on what it is about the game... it's just missing a certain Je ne sais quois for me.  I don't know if it's the fact that I haven't been able to find a good, tight, guild in 2 years, or the fact that the game doesn't give me any real direction on what to do once I hit max level.  But I just find myself rudderless in the game, drifting along, without any real purpose.

Has anyone else felt this way about the game?  It's like I really want to love it, it's got everything I enjoy in a game, but I just can't find the enjoyment in it...  I think a big part of it is a total lack of any friends playing it, but I really don't think that's the whole reason behind my hesitation with it.

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    I like lots of stuff about GW2, but without adding new weapons, skills, and challenging objectives, I just don't find it a stimulating past time.... It's just the same as at launch, basically. I could only do that for a year with scattered play after that...
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by ragz45

I really love everything about GW2.  From the combat, lore, presentation, character options, art style... I even love the cash shop.  I really do love everything about the game.

But.... here's the weird part.  Ever single time I log into the game, I find myself just running around in circles in lion's arch for like 30-40 min, and logging off without actually doing anything.  All of my characters are maxed level, I've done all of the story content, and while I enjoy the PvP, I only really enjoy doing it with friends.  I really can't put my finger on what it is about the game... it's just missing a certain Je ne sais quois for me.  I don't know if it's the fact that I haven't been able to find a good, tight, guild in 2 years, or the fact that the game doesn't give me any real direction on what to do once I hit max level.  But I just find myself rudderless in the game, drifting along, without any real purpose.

Has anyone else felt this way about the game?  It's like I really want to love it, it's got everything I enjoy in a game, but I just can't find the enjoyment in it...  I think a big part of it is a total lack of any friends playing it, but I really don't think that's the whole reason behind my hesitation with it.

If all of your characters are max level, then I would say you at least at one point got a lot of enjoyment out of the game.  If we all got infinite enjoyment out of one MMO, then there would be a lot less on the market right now.  Be glad that  you got that much gameplay from only being required to pay the box price.  If you bought gems, it was completely optional and not needed, but you know this since you have all characters maxed. 

I don't think any dev studio expects players to stay with their game indefinitely.  It's just not a realistic expectation.  Sounds to me like you got your money's worth.  Not sure if or why you expected GW2 to be the end all be all of MMOs (queue in those that will say that is exactly what the GW2 devs expected).  We have all played games so thoroughly that you no longer feel enjoyment.  It's called boredom, but it's not the games fault. 

It's like owning a car for several years and putting hundreds of thousands of miles on it, then being confused as to why you want a  newer one to replace it.  Or now trying to find a fault with the car.  It's just time to move on. 

I'm not here to defend GW2 because ANET doesn't need me to do that.  A lot of us know it's a solid game and don't feel the need to justify anything dealing with numbers sold or make comparisons with it to other games.  I let the ESO fans do that.  It's just one game out many that I happen to own and play.  This last paragraph actually has nothing to do with you Ragz, btw.  It's more of a soliloquy.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

the thing is thou.... the REALLY good MMO's 

or at least good in your perspective... can keep players hooked for years...... not weeks,  like WOW, Everquest, Ultima, ect..... 

thats the kinda game I am looking for.... last time I felt like that even thou I will get attacked for saying so was with Darkfall.... and before that was EVE. 

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

actually now that i think about it.... it finally hit me....

The addictive games are (for many) addictive because of in game drama. In the previously stated games there was alot of content you just can not accomplish alone which contributes to some interesting inter clan/ player drama. It was like tuning into to ALL MY CHILDREN everytime you log in :)

In games where most content is soloable or at least not forced into communication you cant get that kind of player interaction. I am sure there is some drama within GW2 but it is heavly reduced because you can avoid all player interaction if you want too. which is a shame

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by ellobo29

actually now that i think about it.... it finally hit me....

The addictive games are (for many) addictive because of in game drama. In the previously stated games there was alot of content you just can not accomplish alone which contributes to some interesting inter clan/ player drama. It was like tuning into to ALL MY CHILDREN everytime you log in :)

In games where most content is soloable or at least not forced into communication you cant get that kind of player interaction. I am sure there is some drama within GW2 but it is heavly reduced because you can avoid all player interaction if you want too. which is a shame

This might be a big part of what's turning me away from GW2 atm.  Since the game released I've never found a quality, tight knit guild in the game.  That lack of player interaction in gw2 might be just what I'm missing...

• FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I've never understood why people expect a game to last them years, it can only have finite or repetitive content. It seems that you just need something different to play until the expansion is released. 
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by ragz45

You just summed up my thoughts on the game completely.  I love the game, but every time I log in I never know what to do... I've got all my ascended gear, my legendary, cosmetics, titles etc.  There's nothing else for me to achieve.  I always wonder what GW2 would be like with the same gameplay mechanics but with gear progression in the form of raids etc.  Always thought that'd be quite good.  Obviously not everybody's cup of tea though.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Totally get it..felt the same until I realized that I felt that I wasn't "special" in the game.  There's that feeling when you know you are just a bad ass tank, or a damn fine healer and you're recognized for that.  This game, albeit a lot of fun and well made, just doesn't have a "place" for me.  As much as I used to whine about the trinity etc, I think that's what I miss.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Mm, yep.

I really, really loved exploring the world and roaming around checking out the events and such.  And, I really enjoyed their holiday events, as well.  Enjoyed the action combat, etc.(Though I wasn't too crazy about the skills tied to weapons)

But, once you've fully explored the world, and done a little WvWvW, etc., it quickly grows old.  The sieges were pointless and repetitive, the dungeons were just a chaotic mess, and so on.  There's really just not much to do in the game other than grind, grind, grind for gold/mats/pvp ranks once they added those(Which I find ironic since they hyped it as a no-grinding game).

The crafting was just terrible in the game, so I don't really count that as content, and the Living Story was just an awful waste of developer time, from my point of view(hated it).

It has such a beautifully designed world, but what it's lacking is any long-term depth.

It's a shallow game in a beautiful package.

Personal note: I haven't seen/played the new expansion, but I can't imagine it'll change things up that much to fix the lack of depth and meaningful things to do.

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240

A year ago, after the game released for about two years, I finally decided to give GW2 a try. I bought the copy via webpage official store with my credit card. Boy, as a diehard WoW fanboy since China release, I finally had the fresh breath of air GW2 gives me. Everything is GREAT and a lot of stuff to LOOK FORWARD TO.

About a week later, my account got suspended; I contacted customer service and everything, the most "legit" reason they gave me is that the transaction doesn't look safe. I bought it on my credit card on the official webpage and haven't used any 3rd party software to play the game. I was frustrated because I was literately like OP, love everything about this game and just wanted to play more and more and more. I was a little mad about how they handled my account and refuse to help me in anyway but to refund the money and close the account without giving any good reason.

A week after this, I past by a GameStop and picked up a physical copy there, thinking there's no way for any of that BS happen and have fun with the game.

So the strange thing happened.

I immediately lost all my interest about the game when my second account was ready. I am not entirely sure myself, but the feeling of "been there done that" was so strong that it took me almost six month to get the 100% map completion done. By the time I started my second character, it was a whole year later, in the middle of 2015. It's really just that, been there, done that; with the scaling and all other factors, it doesn't even matter how much you grind, if you don't know the gimmicks (aka game-related experience/expertise), you will not win stuff like PvP.

The lack of motivation makes me nowadays just to login for the daily reward, and with no required consecutive logins, I may or may not miss a day or two, depending on my mood. I mean, it works! I get my character leveled, getting legendary mats, laurel, and all what-not that matters this way!

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'm on the same boat as OP. 

Maybe it's because I didn't find the guild for me, or maybe it's because I'm not a PvPer, but imho it's mostly because GW2, while introducing some needed changes from the WoW clones (dynamic events, non competitive gameplay, auto scaling etc.), is still a themepark at core.

There's almost zero sandbox in this game: you can't built your own house, you can't start a politic carrier, there's no real economy (as in Eve Online where everything is created by players and also destroyable) etc.

So if you don't feel like fighting, the game (like all themepark) feels void after a while.

The irony is that Arena.Net remove most of the themepark "carrots": like the urge to get better gear or the end-game raiding... But they didn't replace them with meaningful content. The living story is nice... once. But it's not enought for a living, breathing world.

Instead of giving us dynamic events with deep impact, it's the same champions cycling every 15 minutes.

Instead of giving us complex housing, the guild hall seems nice but... kinda limited (from what I read) and instanced.

Instead of giving us a real economy, it's a "buy once, unlimited used" for gear.

Instead of players actions impacting the world, players have to wait for dev to see change.

I was kinda hopping the xpac would solve some of those problems but it seems to be more of the same. So once i'll be done visiting the new zone I'll probably be at the same point than now.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Lokero

the dungeons were just a chaotic mess, and so on.

Oh yes!

I really enjoy that they're no trinity in GW2, but I was disapointed by the dungeons tacts. Most of the time it was messy. Maybe it was because I'm a new/casual player, but there's no easy way to see when to interrupt, or a clear way to pull boss away from an injured player. So at the end we just all stackup, aoe/trying to survive. While in Warcraft, if you don't mind the tank/dps/healing aspect, you still have (had) the need to cc mobs, to interrupt, to avoid visible boss attacks etc. Plus in GW2 it was mostly: dps as you can, heal from time to time and avoid red stuff on the ground. I feel like WoW is more imaginative with boss fights, with stuff to avoid etc during fight.

The dungeons architecture is cool though.