Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyforge should you play? YES!!!

legendairlegendair Member CommonPosts: 60

There was recently a review on this game from this site. (the review was not my cup of tea) I've been here since 2010, I rarely post , but I'm always reading and checking out the posts from this wonderful community.  Now the game is in this annoying, "open beta." It's obvious developers do this to test the water, however for me I consider it a release.  

Well listen up everyone, the best way I can describe ths game for you is DCUO done 1000x better.  I've played that game for years and I can tell you right now that DCUO you have to pay to eventually move forward, Skyforge on the other hand you might never have to pay.  

I'm not a white knight to this game it has it's flaws, but as gamers we can easily overlook them for one simple reason I think we can agree on, gameplay.  It's great, at times clunky, but everthing looks amazing.... Balanced in my opinion. There's of course the over powered class or that class everyone hates.  Speaking of which, it is such a great feeling to progress through their tree similar to Path of Exile node tree. 

Well enough of similarities, let me give you a few list of questions answered of what to expect and what you may not like.

Q: Is it open world?

A: Yes and no.  A map of a world is shown with different locations. Certain locations are small open worlds, consists of replayable group, solo or 10 man/female raid missions. Including everyone for themselves pvp (extremely fun) including 3v3 or 5v5. These small open worlds may look small, but I kid you not took me 8 minutes to traverse one of them.  8 minutes is respectable do you really want to travel 20 or more minutes just to complete a quest? That could be left for debate. They do have portals, but you have to pay.  As a f2p I cut corners were I can.

You can que in for a mission and tackle one of the many open worlds they have created so you don't waste time.  You may hate the fact you have to wait a bit to que in, and on the 11th they are coming out with a huge update that addresses the long wait times. The rewards for each mission is rotated every hour.  There are no ques to enter open mini locations only pvp and group.

Q: Is there trading?

A: No, this avoids botters, rmt and developers have control of the economy. This may be a turn off for many, especially since certain items are awarded from a random mission every two days.

Q: Is there a grind?

A: Yes because you literally have to collect certain currency to upgrade or move along the tree path.  However this may sound farfetched I actually look forward to the grinds.  I guess because everthing you do in this game really means something.  I don't mind it at all. I'm not going to sugar coat it, some quest are run here then run back... Lol.  But that's okay, the story is actually entertaining the typical antogonists, and protoganists; the over flamboyant "let me help you." Theres also the "omg this chracter looks like she can kick my ass" and the "I'm an elder so I talk in a very slow manner."

Q: Character custimozing?

A: From jello boobies to making a fat chubby character it's all there.  Costumes are amazing!!! It's pretty detailed... You can look like a Mortal Kombat character to looking like Bayoneeta herself.

Q: Is it really F2P

A: Yes, time is what you pay for not progression.  Argents cost money but in game currency you can transform into argents.  There are limits to everthing that helps progress your chatacter, every wednesday your limit resets.  To put it in perspective it can take you a week to traverse the skill tree if you are a monthly subscriber or 3 weeks if you go fully f2p in terms of unlocking a new class on the oppsite side of the node tree.

I'm sure theres a caveat somewhere, but I haven't encountered it.  I'm progressing without dishing out any money.  Asking veteran players who are way higher in level if they have used real money, and majority have said no.  Pretty impressive... In my opinion after they have sold their editions something is bound to change, I am not naive so I'm hoping to level as soon as possiblpe before any dramatc currency changes are made.  

They recently gave out 5 collector editions and rare costumes on their twitch, was nice of them.  They have to promote right?  ^.^

I'm giving this game a 8.5 It has been some time since I have actually enjoyed a mmo of this type.  It has it's flaws I will admit, but my enjoyment overshadows it.  I'm having fun and in the end that's what truly matters.

-Cheers everyone

Comments

• stio89stio89 Member UncommonPosts: 85

Although I heard the combat in it is very good, I'll pass for the same reason I passed on Aion and a few other mmo's. The character selection screen allows you to create absolutely stupid/weird looking characters that look completely out of place and break immersion. I wouldn't be surprised if there were players in it running around in ronald mcdonald costumes with samurai swords and ak-47's on their backs.

Some people like this sort of thing and think its funny, I prefer immersion.

• legendairlegendair Member CommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by stio89

Although I heard the combat in it is very good, I'll pass for the same reason I passed on Aion and a few other mmo's. The character selection screen allows you to create absolutely stupid/weird looking characters that look completely out of place and break immersion. I wouldn't be surprised if there were players in it running around in ronald mcdonald costumes with samurai swords and ak-47's on their backs.

I agree, not a gamebreaker for me though.  This game is basically destiny in third person.  May RnGesus have mercy on me.... It actually has a console feel to it.  The sci fi part and aesthetics what reminds me of destiny, far as similarities go...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

That's because many "MMO's" nowadays consist of a hub connecting a collection of Nintendo games. Nobody gives a damn about "story" or "world" or "immersion", as long as it's fast, flashy and fun !

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i am curious, why does everyone claim the customes are plenty?

there are 2 costumes per class (and you actually have TO MASTER the classes to get the 2nd), a hand full of non class related costumes and that's basically it.

you can't even really chose which weapon style you like, bc you will (ofc) take the best weapon for your playstyle.

so, don't get me wrong, i like skyforge, but the costumes should be increased in number for sure.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea and that's why 80% of the people never actually saw a REAL raid in WoW, but only LFR.

that's why most people will most likely NOT do pantheon wars in skyforge.

yet, those people keep claiming they "reached end content" in mmos, because they did the easy part (LFR random grps).

not my liking that approach.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Originally posted by stio89

I saw that as a problem in TSW.

But in APB it feels absolutely perfect for the setting.

In Skyforge you can't mix weapons like that, and you can't even choose a pair of pants separate from your chest garment. You can only use the costumes provided by the devs as they were intended. Your only real choice for mismatching is your head piece. 

• Originally posted by Thane

i am curious, why does everyone claim the customes are plenty?

there are 2 costumes per class (and you actually have TO MASTER the classes to get the 2nd), a hand full of non class related costumes and that's basically it.

you can't even really chose which weapon style you like, bc you will (ofc) take the best weapon for your playstyle.

so, don't get me wrong, i like skyforge, but the costumes should be increased in number for sure.

Probably because of the dozen pages of costumes you overlooked on the market. And/or due to the amount of costumes already in the Russian version that are not in the US version yet. I've heard that amount to be more than the current amount in game.

• kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

right now weapon skins is a problem.  like what was said previously, you wear the weapon thats giving you the most prestige while having the added text you want.  0 customization in weapon choices so far.  its really standard in the sense that you really only use 1 or 2 skills in your skillset that have all the "flavor text" from your rings and weapons. it can literally be a waste of a slot if your adding 150 dmg points to a skill you dont even have on your hotbar.  so its natural for ppl to just multiply their dmg into 1 skill using 4 rings with the same flavor texts and weapon with same flavor texts. , sometimes ppl split it up into 2 different skills but even then theres a pretty noticeable diffferrence when thats done. 

ive been playing this game every day since early access, people stop and look at me, and comment on my character design choices DAILY and i havent changed my design since day1.  do i look corny? no. do i stand out, very much so, but even with standing out, i look like i fit right into that punk rock badass steampunk female player, that you wont see running around much. 

but, should you play it?  let me tell you, from 1-35k prest, there are around 60 different dungeon options, and each range from a 10 minute clear to a 30-40 minute clear if you just clear it in 1 run, without wipes.   that being said, you will play each of the 60 dungeons 100's of times after youve played this game for a couple months.  the rewards rotate around the dungeons.. so sometimes the first dungeon of the game is going to give you the x3 spark bonus + the ring you need for your adept missions.  so naturally you gotta do it..   the one plus side to this is as you prestige up, the dungeons difficulty goes up, and the drops scale with those increased dungeon difficulties.  so thats good right.   RIGHT? but..... but.... but...... you're stronger, your hp is more, your dmg output is more. so if the dungeon is scaling, you are scaling, and the dungeon never changes (added rooms, bosses, trash, objectives)  what really changes? nothing....

• moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Yea I watched a review for this game and the reviewer pointed out to many cons for it to be good to be honest, and while the combat look fast it did not look fun not to mention it looked shallow and very very repetitive.
  • CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

My answer is NO!!! The gameplay mechanics are a game breaker for me. I quit because I'm not about to waste time and energy on a game where I strongly dislike it's main focus. If it had ALL classes or at least most of them available from the get go, half of the outrage wouldn't even exist. Grinding is annoying enough but grinding to unlock a class? You are insane. We start off with only 3 choices. So, a person has to play a class they might hate for weeks until they get to one they like?

Don't get me started on other things that annoy me. I'm positive if the developers don't adjust this game, open up classes, add downtime events, do something about the caps, the game will close down.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

This guy has NOT played Skyforge. You cannot create a ridiculous looking character. The character creator is actually quite disappointing in that you can not customize much at all. The clothing is basically treated as a one piece jump suit. That is to say, if you want to wear those shorts you are also going to wear the shoes and shirt that comes with it. You can't change colours.

This poster is a liar. Nothing else to be said really.

Originally posted by legendair

A: Yes and no.  A map of a world is shown with different locations. Certain locations are small open worlds, consists of replayable group, solo or 10 man/female raid missions. Including everyone for themselves pvp (extremely fun) including 3v3 or 5v5. These small open worlds may look small, but I kid you not took me 8 minutes to traverse one of them.  8 minutes is respectable do you really want to travel 20 or more minutes just to complete a quest? That could be left for debate. They do have portals, but you have to pay.  As a f2p I cut corners were I can.

The game consists of several instances. It has no open world. There are some larger instances that have multiple quests in them, but there is no open world. Consider it more of small instances vs larger instances.

You can que in for a mission and tackle one of the many open worlds they have created so you don't waste time.  You may hate the fact you have to wait a bit to que in, and on the 11th they are coming out with a huge update that addresses the long wait times. The rewards for each mission is rotated every hour.  There are no ques to enter open mini locations only pvp and group.

A: No, this avoids botters, rmt and developers have control of the economy. This may be a turn off for many, especially since certain items are awarded from a random mission every two days.

Nope.

A: Yes because you literally have to collect certain currency to upgrade or move along the tree path.  However this may sound farfetched I actually look forward to the grinds.  I guess because everthing you do in this game really means something.  I don't mind it at all. I'm not going to sugar coat it, some quest are run here then run back... Lol.  But that's okay, the story is actually entertaining the typical antogonists, and protoganists; the over flamboyant "let me help you." Theres also the "omg this chracter looks like she can kick my ass" and the "I'm an elder so I talk in a very slow manner."

The large instance quests have a lot of back and forth. The other quests that are smaller are not back and forth so much as just repeating the same damn instance dozens of times. You can plan wise and choose instances that supply 2x progression (even more if you pay for premium). Some you can play as your class. Others you have to play as another class to get the bonus. Its kind of neat to try out some of the classes in actual instances before you decide to work towards unlocking them.

A: From jello boobies to making a fat chubby character it's all there.  Costumes are amazing!!! It's pretty detailed... You can look like a Mortal Kombat character to looking like Bayoneeta herself.

Character customizing is very limited. You get to shape the body/face and select from a small list of customizations for hair, earings, glasses, mask.... basically you customize body shape/size and your head. You cannot dress like a Mortal Kombat character and certainly not Bayonetta herself. Why? Because there is a very limited number of pre-set costumes. These costumes are all one piece that cover you from neck to toe. So if you choose a pair of shorts you are stuck with them, the shoes, the shirt and anything else it comes with. You can't even customize your colours. Some suits come with around 8 or so pre-set colour options. 

A: Yes, time is what you pay for not progression.  Argents cost money but in game currency you can transform into argents.  There are limits to everthing that helps progress your chatacter, every wednesday your limit resets.  To put it in perspective it can take you a week to traverse the skill tree if you are a monthly subscriber or 3 weeks if you go fully f2p in terms of unlocking a new class on the oppsite side of the node tree.

You can pay for progression. A premium membership nearly doubles your progression amount. It also gives the resources (currency) to purchase some unlocks you will need to be on-par with paying members. This isn't a bad thing really. Its basically a sub game, with a F2P option if you let your subscription lapse. But just to be clear, you do purchase progression.

I elaborated or fixed answers for you.

-Cheers everyone.

• kuyanofdakuyanofda Member UncommonPosts: 52

there is a major point that needs to be addressed here. is it pay to win? is it free to play? the answer is yes and no.........

its pay to win because if you dont pay to subscribe, you are likely never to catch up to the people that are subscribing and dumping as many hours into the game as you.. they will forever have almost double your progression speed. 

is it free to play? yes..

now with both of those being said, as a free player, or a paying player, if you both have made it to lets say 15k prestige, one got there in 30 hours play time, the other 45-60 hours..... are both of the p2w and f2p characters on par with eachother? the answer is yes.. this game is weird because even if you arent p2w, it doesnt fucking matter.. you will likely never see the premium players.  the only way you are going to group with the premium members, is 1. you hardcore grind your f2p ass off.. or 2.. the p2w players are not logging enough hours to keep way ahead of the curve. .

THAT IS HOW THIS GAME WORKS.

• Lebros89Lebros89 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by kuyanofda

there is a major point that needs to be addressed here. is it pay to win? is it free to play? the answer is yes and no.........

its pay to win because if you dont pay to subscribe, you are likely never to catch up to the people that are subscribing and dumping as many hours into the game as you.. they will forever have almost double your progression speed. 

now with both of those being said, as a free player, or a paying player, if you both have made it to lets say 15k prestige, one got there in 30 hours play time, the other 45-60 hours..... are both of the p2w and f2p characters on par with eachother? the answer is yes.. this game is weird because even if you arent p2w, it doesnt fucking matter.. you will likely never see the premium players.  the only way you are going to group with the premium members, is 1. you hardcore grind your f2p ass off.. or 2.. the p2w players are not logging enough hours to keep way ahead of the curve. .

It's absolutely NOT pay to win actually. A subscriber gets a +50% bonus to sparks , credits and other currencies, but we all have the same cap. Premium will simply get you to that cap faster than a free to player will reach it. But if you started your character at the exact time as a subscriber started theirs, they will hit the cap sooner, but you will both have the same caps. Even if you don't reach your spark caps, it will carry over so you will forever be able to advance JUST as much as the subscriber. Basically being a subscriber just means you can put in less time to reach the cap.

THIS IS HOW THIS GAME REALLY WORKS.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I'm sorry, but this game is very easily described and the answer to should you play it is typically "NO" for most people...

- You grind, grind, grind, grind... ENDLESS GRINDING to unlock classes and skills for those classes.  This is not "grinding" through quest hubs and zones like standard MMO's this is grinding through a repeat of the same small group of areas/dungeons over and over. 

- The Facebook/Garrison game that also buffs your hero is pretty boring and involves logging in, assigning automated stuff, logging out and waiting.

- There doesn't feel like any REASON to actually play.  Your overall power rating goes up, but why do you care?  You can set difficulty on the zones you fight in endlessly but after a point pretty early on you've unlocked almost everything.  Most games you gather strength in order to tackle NEW harder content.  Int his game you gather strength so you can up the difficulty on the same content you've been grinding since the beginning.

- I really wanted to like this game and I put in a good week or so playing it to unlock a few different classes.  At this point I've seen everything and the only reason to keep playing is to continue upping my power rating so I can increase difficulty levels.

- Also, higher difficulty level PARTY content is basically killing targets with MASSIVE HP pools that take forever to die.  The combat itself isn't difficulty unless you consider breaking your mouse buttons spam clicking abilities over and over for hours difficult...

• DjevikDjevik Member UncommonPosts: 107

atm I say no you shouldn't play skyforge my reasons:

PvP:

No one hardly ever queues for them, I sat in 1 queue for 12 hours and did not pop, and I'm only 15k Presitage!!

Your Okki Tablets you need for temples and Adepts land on PvP maps and like I mention above no one queues for them..

It took 1 month to get from Pally to Knight and 1 week after knight to get from pally to archer... 

If you are a Huge fan of PvE and are a casual player I mean super Casual then hell ya this game is for you.

Most of my group that I played with cap out in sparks,credits, class sparks in the first hours  2-4 hours of cap reset and then you do nothing...

You can't argue to lvl adepts or temples b/c you can only get so far in that as well, you need greatness to level up temples..

The game differently limits your gameplay.. you can farm better gear which we did and got but man.. it got boring really fast

Originally posted by lebros1989
    Originally posted by kuyanofda

It's absolutely NOT pay to win actually. A subscriber gets a +50% bonus to sparks , credits and other currencies, but we all have the same cap. Premium will simply get you to that cap faster than a free to player will reach it. But if you started your character at the exact time as a subscriber started theirs, they will hit the cap sooner, but you will both have the same caps. Even if you don't reach your spark caps, it will carry over so you will forever be able to advance JUST as much as the subscriber. Basically being a subscriber just means you can put in less time to reach the cap.

THIS IS HOW THIS GAME REALLY WORKS.

Not true. When you pay you get a ton of argents. Argents are used to pay for slots on some of the atlas to make your character more powerful. They are used in other places as well with more on the way. 

THAT IS LITERALLY P2W

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by legendair

The game consists of several instances. It has no open world. There are some larger instances that have multiple quests in them, but there is no open world. Consider it more of small instances vs larger instances.

Nope.

The large instance quests have a lot of back and forth. The other quests that are smaller are not back and forth so much as just repeating the same damn instance dozens of times. You can plan wise and choose instances that supply 2x progression (even more if you pay for premium). Some you can play as your class. Others you have to play as another class to get the bonus. Its kind of neat to try out some of the classes in actual instances before you decide to work towards unlocking them.

Character customizing is very limited. You get to shape the body/face and select from a small list of customizations for hair, earings, glasses, mask.... basically you customize body shape/size and your head. You cannot dress like a Mortal Kombat character and certainly not Bayonetta herself. Why? Because there is a very limited number of pre-set costumes. These costumes are all one piece that cover you from neck to toe. So if you choose a pair of shorts you are stuck with them, the shoes, the shirt and anything else it comes with. You can't even customize your colours. Some suits come with around 8 or so pre-set colour options. 

You can pay for progression. A premium membership nearly doubles your progression amount. It also gives the resources (currency) to purchase some unlocks you will need to be on-par with paying members. This isn't a bad thing really. Its basically a sub game, with a F2P option if you let your subscription lapse. But just to be clear, you do purchase progression.

I elaborated or fixed answers for you.

-Cheers everyone.

Quoted for truth. 

The review was not unfair.  It was just honest.  Skyforge is wonderful and you really enjoy it until you hit that wall where you realize "Yes, this is all there is and this is all I will ever be doing in this game."   

After you've multi-clicked the same boss down for the 50th time taking as much time as the first time you killed it but now with 8K more Prestige and the fight is EXACTLY the same, and you wonder when the heck Season 4 of Diablo 3 starts and check the forum page again and see that it's probably only a month away and decide, hell, the PTR, where everything is wiped, is better than killing this boss yet again which really, when I think about it, is just like every other boss fight.   You log off and fire up Battle.net and log on to the PTR, because overall it's a better way to spend your time. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Cazriel

The review was not unfair.  It was just honest.  Skyforge is wonderful and you really enjoy it until you hit that wall where you realize "Yes, this is all there is and this is all I will ever be doing in this game."  

That was about 20 minutes for me, then.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    How about giving it a year and seeing what it looks like after they have time to spruce the MMO up, add some content and so on? We are like new home owners that want to move in before the house has been painted and the garage added on.
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Cazriel

After you've multi-clicked the same boss down for the 50th time taking as much time as the first time you killed it but now with 8K more Prestige and the fight is EXACTLY the same, and you wonder when the heck Season 4 of Diablo 3 starts and check the forum page again and see that it's probably only a month away and decide, hell, the PTR, where everything is wiped, is better than killing this boss yet again which really, when I think about it, is just like every other boss fight.   You log off and fire up Battle.net and log on to the PTR, because overall it's a better way to spend your time. 

This is sick. Did you place a hidden video camera in my room???!! I was doing exactly this when I tabbed out just to see what's new on my fav MMO site.

About Skyforge: for me, it has a serious design flaw. You have only 1 character which you cannot delete. There is a huge chance that you will mess that character up. The game even encourages you to do so. If you get to that point, you're done. All you can do is old regions with terrible rewards or just wait in 5-man queues hopefully to get a group to take you with them (most pug groups fail and you're rewarded only if you finish the final objective). Or do PvP - in pvp, you score for the kill. If you did like 95% of the damage and some other player is quicker to press E, it's his kill. Skyforge has potential, but it needs massive rework. MASSIVE.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Scot
    How about giving it a year and seeing what it looks like after they have time to spruce the MMO up, add some content and so on? We are like new home owners that want to move in before the house has been painted and the garage added on.

All they'll add is, inevitably, more of the same.  The game won't fundamentally change.

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I really am having a whole lot of fun with this game.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

It is a shallow game, repeating hub centric instances. Class skills on the whole are either cut and paste from many other games, or removed altogether.

Monotonous in the extreme, pvp as unbalanced as you can get, no trading, no crafting, limited gear equipping with no differentiation, and an over complex mish mash of currencies.

A pretty dire offering.

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

It is a shallow game, repeating hub centric instances. Class skills on the whole are either cut and paste from many other games, or removed altogether.

Monotonous in the extreme, pvp as unbalanced as you can get, no trading, no crafting, limited gear equipping with no differentiation, and an over complex mish mash of currencies.

A pretty dire offering.

There has to be gates or the f2p riff raff that game hop without spending a dollar on a game would get to max and be the usual content locusts that they are.