Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I come back?

NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197
Hey guys, I havn't really given WoW a chance since my guild disolved about 3 years ago.   I was not a fan of MoP  and havn't even bought WoD.  However, today i found myself questioning whether a return to the game is merited.   If i choose yes, where's the good community at?  where's the family oriented guilds at, i've never played wow  casually... so im going to give that a try..   Is it worth it?   is WoD really that bad?  as bad as i read on these forums and elsewhere??  why is it so bad??  any help is appreciated. 

Comments

• cyricsoncyricson Member UncommonPosts: 129

No world pvp, no players outside anymore, battlegrounds full of bots, an expansion designed to make an mmorpg NOT an mmorpg. Raids are so casual it hurts...yes i know there is a mythic lvl, but the existence of the other lesser lvls actually make it casual...ppl are not forced to be good like the old days.

Classes are dumbed down to the skill lvl of a blind monkey masturbating. Actually EVERYTHING is bad. 

There will be some guys here who will tell you otherwise. Dont trust them. Trust the numbers. Check the sub numbers. There is a reason why they are so reduced.

I really hope Legion will deliver. I ll buy it of course and i ll give Blizz a last chance. I think they deserve it. Worse games had a glorious comeback.

My advice, dont return. You ll get disappointed and you might lose interest in trying Legion which MIGHT be good.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197

Whoa,  thanks for the heads up i guess???  since im starting at level 1 and don't plan on buying WoD until legion, take that into consideration.   

Also what happened to gems  and putting them on armor,  did they SERIOUSLY take that away from us?

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I picked up the game about a month ago for the first time and was really surprised. The community was extremely helpful and very friendly - contrary to what I would expect.

I suspect it depends on where you play. PvP server at the endgame may be full of immature kids. I was playing PvE levelling up and that was amazing.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'd wait for Legion.  Warlords of Draenor wasn't all bad, but that Garrison grind will eventually suck the enthusiasm out of even the most devout Warcraft fans. 

And crafting got boned something fierce in WoD.  I hope they make crafting fun again in Legion and return some relevancy to it.

Yeah, if you waited 3 years a while more wont matter anyways. Many Wow players consider WoD the worst expansion for Wow and with the dip in players Blizzard will be forced to do something extra for Legion and put in more resources then with the last 2 expansions.

Also, there will be a lot of other returning Wow players at the same type if you jump in when a new expansion hits and that is always nice.
  • DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    The game is still good, maybe not as good as it once was but worth picking up. People find garrisons to be the worst part of WOD but not everyone would agree. I actually like them. I still find wow to be the best theme park mmo along with ffxiv. It's not everyones thing, but it's worth having another look at.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I came back this last expansion.  I liked the content but here I am a few months later dropping out.  It was too short and the luster wears off quickly.

Can you have fun?  Sure you can but I am hoping they re-think some of the design decisions with crafting, garrisons, class balancing.  I actually switched from my beloved warlock to a shaman after a particularly nasty nerf this past patch which makes no sense in a 10 year old game.

Best of luck.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I find it fun but boring at same time. I also am waiting for Legion.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It depends.  Like almost all MMOs it's as fun as you want it to be.  If all you do is sit around in your garrison and don't like doing that, then why are you doing that.  There's plenty to do out in the world.  I never understood how you can play a game and blame it for the way you are playing it.  You are not forced to even do a Garrison after you get it to level 3, before that it's part of the storyline.  It helps alot if you do your garrison stuff everyday, but it's definitely not required.  I have 4 700+ ilvl characters and many 690+, and only 3 of them have their garrison fully fleshed out.  

I kind of equate it to buying a brand new car then complain that the company is so horrible when you go and rev the engine to 8,000 rpm until the engine blows, then say, "What a piece of junk, I only had the car for a day!"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2015
    Bad? I think the general theme was "great experience briefly; done; bored". People are looking back at "the golden days" of MoP.

And if you left (in part) because your guild dissolved. The EU guild METHOD has recently fragmented - broken up / dissolved / split. Raid problems action being the first reason given. Action on EU in general seems to have gone very, very quiet. US servers seem "better" but everything is relative.

Prior to Q2's sub number mmorpg.com's SBFord predicted that the big sub drop would be Q3 . If that does indeed prove to be the case - and I wouldn't bet against it - subs will be below 4M. Maybe it won't get that low (yet?) but people ae posting about server cluster's being "dead".

And then of course anything you accomplish before the next expansion will become useless. If you were a new player ...... but you are not ..... maybe you like taking selfies (one of the highlights of the not-a-patch 6.1.)
    Blizz really fucked up...really.
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The people saying how great MoP was are more than likely the same people who said it was terrible when it was released. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    odiasuda said:
    The people saying how great MoP was are more than likely the same people who said it was terrible when it was released. 

I actually liked MoP - but I had been away for 7+ years when I got around to trying to trying it. However what I pick up is that "the people saying how good MoP when talking about WoD was are being "somewhat sarcastic". They are that impressed!
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Funny.. I came back a few weeks ago and  im having a blast

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Maybe it's time I knocked off the dust and give it a go.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Krimzin said:
    Funny.. I came back a few weeks ago and  im having a blast

As did I.

3 weeks ago i "came back" and now i cannot bring myself to log in. (its been 3 days..)

Raid or die mentality is still there anything outside of that or pvp and you don't have any community support. Not going to grind up gear to increase a number that will ultimately be reset in a few months.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    cyricson said:

No world pvp, no players outside anymore, battlegrounds full of bots, an expansion designed to make an mmorpg NOT an mmorpg. Raids are so casual it hurts...yes i know there is a mythic lvl, but the existence of the other lesser lvls actually make it casual...ppl are not forced to be good like the old days.

Classes are dumbed down to the skill lvl of a blind monkey masturbating. Actually EVERYTHING is bad. 

There will be some guys here who will tell you otherwise. Dont trust them. Trust the numbers. Check the sub numbers. There is a reason why they are so reduced.

I really hope Legion will deliver. I ll buy it of course and i ll give Blizz a last chance. I think they deserve it. Worse games had a glorious comeback.

My advice, dont return. You ll get disappointed and you might lose interest in trying Legion which MIGHT be good.

It's funny a lot stuff you said about wow it happen to alot of the low end f2p games, there surely taking the money, but I'm sure legion will be the same as WoD after few months there just running out of good ideas.
    But the problem is they removed all the good ideas that made wow good.
    And i ll not buy it probably, i ll be playing Albion online. 
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Depends.... I went back now for 3 months , every time i log in im like holy cow, cant believe i used to play this, but at one point it was all i thought about. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    In my opinion there has been no Xpack that it totally bad, and I think the same about WoD. But, here's the thing about WoD that I think is really wrong -

More money for less content.

I've dropped all my subs to help send the message to Blizzard that this isn't something I'm going to put up with. Not only is the game not friendly to veteran players (made more for newer players and made easy to catch up with your friends without making it a deeper and richer experience for the rest of us), WoD has already had it's one and only and last "major patch", which was a huge disappointment to the majority of players. There are some things I like in WoD, but the amount of content is abysmal.

So, no, I don't think anyone should subscribe now. I think the best thing anyone can do for the game, if you really love it, is to drop your sub, or if you are thinking re-sub then wait until maybe a month before Legion comes out. Send the message to Blizzard that more money for less content isn't acceptable.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    odiasuda said:
    Quite possible.

The people saying how great MoP was are generally referring to the amount and quality of the content along with good design decisions.  It was a huge improvement from Cata wrapped in a stupid Panda/Chinese theme no one in the West wanted and most players in the East found offensive. 

Of course no one one would have known that from day one.  All we knew then was lolkungfupanda.
  • myxaplixmyxaplix Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Kind of opened yourself up to a lot of hate spam by asking if WOW is worth playing again. 

I have returned after a layoff and found it worth the price for a few months. If you like advancing characters then WOW does a real good job. Going from 90-100 was a nice trip and has kept my interest tell now.

The garrison stuff is good until you start running several characters through the daily grind. Then it starts to feel like a job.

All in all the experience is pretty good. Just don't look through 2007 glasses. Don't get stuck on the hay-days of WOW (for me its Lich King) and take the game for what it is... a few good months of gaming. When it's no longer fun, move on.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Nadriell said:
    Hey guys, I havn't really given WoW a chance since my guild disolved about 3 years ago.   I was not a fan of MoP  and havn't even bought WoD.  However, today i found myself questioning whether a return to the game is merited.   If i choose yes, where's the good community at?  where's the family oriented guilds at, i've never played wow  casually... so im going to give that a try..   Is it worth it?   is WoD really that bad?  as bad as i read on these forums and elsewhere??  why is it so bad??  any help is appreciated. 
    Wait until Legion release, don't get into the game now.
    reeereee said:
    odiasuda said:
    Quite possible.

The people saying how great MoP was are generally referring to the amount and quality of the content along with good design decisions.  It was a huge improvement from Cata wrapped in a stupid Panda/Chinese theme no one in the West wanted and most players in the East found offensive. 

Of course no one one would have known that from day one.  All we knew then was lolkungfupanda.

People asked for pandaren since WoW came out, there was even posts why the game had quest regarding chen stormstout while he or any kin of pandaren were absent from game. When tbc was announced and it was confirmed that pandaren would be alliance race, everyone rejoiced and when blizzard said a few weeks later that they can't add pandaren due to opposition from chinese government, everybody  went "boooo". but when they finally add pandaren with MoP every went ape shit even as far as claiming they stole idea from kung fu panda when the truth is pandaren was added in 2003 and kung fu panda came out in 2008. People are stupid that way.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    cyricson said:
    Blizz really fucked up...really.
    This is why Blizzard often delayed expansions.....EQ used to release at least one a year and would lose players as they would get fed up at one point or another...Now that WoW is starting to get a few more expansions, all it takes is one bad one and people will move on.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited September 2015
    If you had fun before you will have fun still.  If you can afford to play might as well play something worth the money.  Not much else worth spending money on out there. 

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.