Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous Horizons

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

The pricing is a rip off though, they are basically making previous owners of the game repurchase the damn game to get access to the horizons expansion.

It doesn't even include all of the planetary landing either just part of it, to get access to all of what planetary landing is you will have to buy the next season....

Also they are taking a page out of Star Citizen and reoffering the Lifetime Pass albeit at a hugely inflated price...it was 50$ previously and now is 195$...lol

Its actually not.

ELITE is one of those games where development does not end when the box is shipped. Its like MMO in that respect.

Now if you continue developing you need to pay the programmers. MMO have Subscription for this reason (or go F2P)

ELITE developers said they do not want subscription. Instead they will do old GW1 idea, to pay the development trough (optional) expansions. (that is also fully optional)

This is why they need to charge some money for expansion. Look at it more as 1 year subscription , if you will

I loved Gw1 and have the set. I have no problem paying for an expansion...my problem is unlike gw1 they are not selling just an expansion.  

With guild wars if I want to buy just war of the north I can do so they don't force me to buy the previous expansions ED on the other hand are doing just that.  They are forcing me to buy the core game aswell as the expansion.

Dunno what is hard to understand about it?

If say GW has a bundle deal and I buy GW and War of the north but already have GW I can then make a new account for the core game  yet apply War of the north to my main account...  this method I have some fringe benefits to have bought the main game twice extra storage etc etc

....not so with ED if I already own the core game I can either apply the purchase to a new account and then wait for release to play it or apply it to my existing account but lose out on on the ability to create a new account and thus be able to have a new CMDR.....with this method I get ripped off as they take away the core game I just repurchased away from me thus no fringe benefits due to having two accounts

First, None of the GW1 expansions came as "standalone" they all required you to have the original game. Except the war of north, that was last expansion before they discontinued the game.

Second , Elite will include original game if you dont have it and only buy expansion.

Third, who has the original Elite will get discount on expansion.

Fourth, you dont need the expansion to play the game in any way. It just adds some things that are not required.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407

The pricing is a rip off though, they are basically making previous owners of the game repurchase the damn game to get access to the horizons expansion.

It doesn't even include all of the planetary landing either just part of it, to get access to all of what planetary landing is you will have to buy the next season....

Also they are taking a page out of Star Citizen and reoffering the Lifetime Pass albeit at a hugely inflated price...it was 50$ previously and now is 195$...lol

Its actually not.

ELITE is one of those games where development does not end when the box is shipped. Its like MMO in that respect.

Now if you continue developing you need to pay the programmers. MMO have Subscription for this reason (or go F2P)

ELITE developers said they do not want subscription. Instead they will do old GW1 idea, to pay the development trough (optional) expansions. (that is also fully optional)

This is why they need to charge some money for expansion. Look at it more as 1 year subscription , if you will

I loved Gw1 and have the set. I have no problem paying for an expansion...my problem is unlike gw1 they are not selling just an expansion.  

With guild wars if I want to buy just war of the north I can do so they don't force me to buy the previous expansions ED on the other hand are doing just that.  They are forcing me to buy the core game aswell as the expansion.

Dunno what is hard to understand about it?

If say GW has a bundle deal and I buy GW and War of the north but already have GW I can then make a new account for the core game  yet apply War of the north to my main account...  this method I have some fringe benefits to have bought the main game twice extra storage etc etc

....not so with ED if I already own the core game I can either apply the purchase to a new account and then wait for release to play it or apply it to my existing account but lose out on on the ability to create a new account and thus be able to have a new CMDR.....with this method I get ripped off as they take away the core game I just repurchased away from me thus no fringe benefits due to having two accounts

First, None of the GW1 expansions came as "standalone" they all required you to have the original game. Except the war of north, that was last expansion before they discontinued the game.

Second , Elite will include original game if you dont have it and only buy expansion.

Fourth, you dont need the expansion to play the game in any way. It just adds some things that are not required.

Your avoiding the issue. 

If you have the original GW and buy the first expansion they don't force you to buy the original again, if you have the original and first expansion and want to buy the 2nd expansion they don't force you to buy the original.

Your first, second and third point have diddly to do with what I am saying.

Your fourth point is also besides the point really as some of us may want to buy the expansion and get access to planetary landing even if it isn't complete but we are not willing to pay for the original core game again.

If that isn't clear enough for you, you have to be purposely misunderstanding or too busy polishing your armor.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

Do the math base Horizons is 60$ usd and includes the core game which is 45$usd which means the expansion is worth 15$ usd.

Existing players get a 15$ usd discount which mean they are making us pay for the core game again (45$usd) but not the expansion.  Compound this with standard beta players lose their beta access...unless they buy beta horizons because they decided beta access was tied to LTP.

Or.. the more realistic way of looking at it is; the base game devalues as time goes on. We've seen this already with the Steam sale pricing therefore when Horizons is released it will cost $45 and the base game will essentially be worth $15 at that point but obviously Frontier will sell them as a package because they're both needed and therefore it'll be $60 in total.

Do you feel that the World Of Warcraft Battle Chest is a slap in the face for people that bought each game individually? Do you feel that Steam sales are a slap in the face for people that paid full price?

It nearly always works like this to reduce the barrier of entry for new people getting into the game, besides you'll have had more than 12 months of available play time before Horizons comes out...

No, right now they are selling both horizons which is the base game with the expansion included for 60$usd BUT they are still selling the core game for $45usd so there's no core game devaluation going on.  In fact I bet you with each new season they will charge the full price but include previous seasons.

They know the "seasons" are not worth a full game price so they will keep offering previous content along with it so they can charge more than it's worse. 

What they are doing is forcing older players to buy a "bundle" as if they  were new players that never paid for the core game or if you like better they are not offering to let old player to purchase ONLY the expansion without the core game included.

As for WoW I never played that rip off.

Subscription model isn't a rip off. Come on, seriously? $15 / month for a game you'll play for hundreds if not thousands of hours, give me a break. If you're even just making minimum US wage, that's less than two hours of work per month. FFS.

Elite should have had a subscription, then they could have implemented real server architecture and made it more of a true MMOG while avoiding the types of cheapskate players who think all online games should be free today. Would have been a win/win.

Also, Horizons is optional. You don't have to buy it, you still have access to the base game. Pretty good deal, tbh, because it functions as sort of an optional yearly subscription that is less than what a normal monthly subscription would amount to, yet you have people here and other places calling it a rip off. Again, I can only tolerate so much entitled stupidity. Ridiculous.

"We're making a highly ambitious space MMO that we have a 10 year development roadmap for!"

The community, "Sounds awesome! But I don't want to buy the game twice! So can I just pay once and get all that other content for free, for, you know, ....ten years?"

"Uhh, well yeah see the thing is we don't work for free."

The community, "Well you should! Games are supposed to be free nowadays, so go make that game but don't you dare charge for your work! What a scam! A ripoff! I'm dropping you for Star Citizen, at least they're only optionally selling ships for thousands of dollars. You should learn to treat your community with more respect, like they do. They even promised to have the game out by 2019, while your stupid game is still a stupid beta!"

"...k?"

I can't imagine why or how any start up company would want to get into developing a video game anymore, let alone an MMOG. We are completely rancid as a community. The community collectively vetoed subscription games, paving the way for cash shop bullshit - and then is somehow surprised when cash shops become incentivized to the point that it's pay to win. Then you have B2P games like Guild Wars and Elite and people still find a way to bitch because they have the nerve to sell expansion content when, "it's supposed to be FREE ARHGHGHGH my WALLET shall not open for you!"

Pro tip: MMOG's are expensive as hell to develop. Most companies are generally in business to make money, meaning they'd like to get paid for their work. Can someone explain how Frontier could make enough money to subsidize 10 years of development through base game 2014-2015 box sales, when they've only sold not even half a million units? Without making a totally bullshit cash shop with funny hats, ship mounted fireworks, and p2w ship parts, they really don't have many options. Also try to remember the scope of this game; the flight model alone is extremely complicated and will only get exponentially more complicated as they add atmospheric landings. It's a lot of work and costs a lot of money. Elite: D was always a premium game in terms of cost, if you're looking for a bargain game go play Space Engineers (which is a great game). But some of us are happy to have a non-indie space game designed with AAA aesthetics and ambition that simply isn't possible from an indie studio on a shoestring budget.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I know it's hard for some people to understand but you are not paying for the core game again.

Horizons expansion is $60

Current owners pay $45

This means that someone coming to Elite when Horizons is released will be paying $15 for the core game and $45 for the expansion.

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55

I know it's hard for some people to understand but you are not paying for the core game again.

Current owners pay $45

This means that someone coming to Elite when Horizons is released will be paying $15 for the core game and $45 for the expansion.

You mean to tell me there's misinformation mixed in with all the feigned outrage I'm seeing? Gosh, what a surprise.

Every PC game since ever has devalued once an expansion launches, but all of a sudden it's not okay when it happens to Elite. Because, "arhglebargle rantin and raving boy I'm mad circle jerk RIPOFF!!!"

To be fair, I'm primarily annoyed with the Elite subreddit, but I'm seeing strands of the same logic/arguments being put forth here and it's really grinding my gears. I'm not surprised though, considering even Holy Guild Wars has seen a round of heavy ribbing lately.

Current owners pay $45

Except not, you want or hope that is what is going to happen but where do they say they are dropping the core game down to 15$...seriously on their own dang website the core game is 45.

Math is hard for some people.  Also why the hell should a new player get the core game and expansion but someone already playing and supporting it not get the same thing they are paying for.

New player gets core game worth 45$ plus expansion another 60 for the bundle price of 60. People that supported the game and that already have accounts pay 60 dollars for the expansion bundle but do not get the core game IE the ability to make a new account to get a second CMDR... ya that's a rip off in my book. image

Instead we have to do BS shenanigans and make a new account, buy the bundle but not be allowed the apply the expansion on our already existing account and thus lose all progress made there... I call that a rip off.

But ya is soky some fans are diehard have fun with it but some games like SC will make ED look ...well see for yourself. *looks up at video*

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by Good_Apollo

You mean to tell me there's misinformation mixed in with all the feigned outrage I'm seeing? Gosh, what a surprise.

Every PC game since ever has devalued once an expansion launches, but all of a sudden it's not okay when it happens to Elite. Because, "arhglebargle rantin and raving boy I'm mad circle jerk RIPOFF!!!"

To be fair, I'm primarily annoyed with the Elite subreddit, but I'm seeing strands of the same logic/arguments being put forth here and it's really grinding my gears. I'm not surprised though, considering even Holy Guild Wars has seen a round of heavy ribbing lately.

:)

I find myself giving Elite's subreddit a little bit of a pass because atleast most of them play the game even if they're confused about expansion pricing and perceived value.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Good_Apollo

:)

I find myself giving Elite's subreddit a little bit of a pass because atleast most of them play the game even if they're confused about expansion pricing and perceived value.

People on this board who only discuss one game to bash it while talking up another don't get a pass, they desreve to be called out for exactly what they are, aka Trolling fanboys, Star Citizen Defense Force or w/e.

If you looked at my past posts about ED you would see I was a fan of it as much as SC but their track record isn't great and it's not getting better.

I bet you never even played enough of ED to know the Background Simulation is broken and doesn't work properly and oh and arn't you the guy bemoaning about how many people will be able to play together, in that pother thread, or somesuch in SC when ED has a max 32 players per instance ...lol

Please get off your image before accusing others of bashing or being fanboys!  I was always of the opinion both games would be fun to play but ED is making it hard to keep on supporting them which is sad really.

[mod edit]

Except not, you want or hope that is what is going to happen but where do they say they are dropping the core game down to 15$...seriously on their own dang website the core game is 45.

They don't need to state it, it is simple logic. 1+1=2

Math is hard for some people.  Also why the hell should a new player get the core game and expansion but someone already playing and supporting it not get the same thing they are paying for.

Because it reduces the barrier of entry for new players which is important for a game's longevity.

New player gets core game worth 45$ plus expansion another 60 for the bundle price of 60. People that supported the game and that already have accounts pay 60 dollars for the expansion bundle but do not get the core game IE the ability to make a new account to get a second CMDR... ya that's a rip off in my book. image

People that have bought the game will have had 12 months play time, 5 large patches and CQC, that is what you get for your initial purchase.

Instead we have to do BS shenanigans and make a new account, buy the bundle but not be allowed the apply the expansion on our already existing account and thus lose all progress made there... I call that a rip off.

No, you just have a problem with perceived value and feel salty that in your eyes other people are getting a better deal than you, which is clearly not the case.

But ya is soky some fans are diehard have fun with it but some games like SC will make ED look ...well see for yourself. *looks up at video*

So go and play SC if it's so wonderful.

If you looked at my past posts about ED you would see I was a fan of it as much as SC but their track record isn't great and it's not getting better.

I bet you never even played enough of ED to know the Background Simulation is broken and doesn't work properly and oh and arn't you the guy bemoaning about how many people will be able to play together, in that pother thread, or somesuch in SC when ED has a max 32 players per instance ...lol

Please get off your image before accusing others of bashing or being fanboys!  I was always of the opinion both games would be fun to play but ED is making it hard to keep on supporting them which is sad really.

Oh and be careful about "calling out people" and calling them trolls and the like as it pretty much a personal attack and a nono in these forum...if you truly think that use the report button mate, I know I will.

So you leap to conjecture as a means of argument, good one. I am simply asking a question in the Star Citizen thread, I'm curious about how many people they intend on having in a planetside instance, what's the problem?

There's no motive or agenda here, instead of trying to paint me as having a motive you can save your paranoia for things that deserve it.

There's a world of difference between rational discussion, correcting misinformation or uninformed opinions and white knighting. Your issue appears to be that you don't like someone correcting you.

Such irony, says to be careful about calling out people while telling me to get off my high horse and using an emoticon to also call me a white knight... If I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to be funny.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Love sci-fi but this game just looks so dull and boring.

It has the setting now it just needs the action and adventure. They're asking more than I'm interested in paying for what they offer in gameplay.

Thats sort of how I feel about it too. 

Basically I am playing Uncharted Waters and its the same gameplay only with wooden ships instead of space ships.

I like spaceships and I love the look of Elite, but gameplay wise I already have that for free.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Squadron24Squadron24 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by cura
    Thats it for me. I wont buy another unfinished, barebone product so they can fund developement for another console. Now i only need to find some looser to buy my account.

try Craigs list, that´s where I got rid of my mine.

NO regrets. Even less regrets after they had the audacity to take another one of their CGI render teaser and zero gamplay to Gamescom and tout it as colossal announcement  coming in half year and preselling another tacked on feature at full price of the base game and SHOWING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BUT FAKED CGI.

Plus they totally ripped off the Mass Effect trailer which was the final straw for me. I´ve had it with that company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_QRQh0jTg

Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    can't wait till this comes out for xbox next year pretty solid game. little barebones but I'm wiling to pay for stuff if i like the progress is going.  they are doing pretty ok for the budget they had.

@squadron24

You never bought the game, you made that clear before.

Your first post on here was a copy/paste from reddit where you tried to claim that you had been banned from the offical forums and from Steam for only saying one sentence.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by Buttski

WoW... What a ripoff... So they delivered a beta game without much content and while me and my friends were waiting for some content (be it solo or group) they announce promised features as a FULLPRIZED TITLE? Are they fkn serious?

I went from E:D fanboi to a 'FU Frontier' guy.

They wont get my or my friends money, that's for sure. Gaming seems to be about scamming these days...

I´m in the same boat, now waiting for No Men Sky and of course the Star Citizen campaign. Also I backed Everspace, a rogue like space combat game.

If you want a great space game back it :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

it´s from the Rockfish guys who made the excellent "Galaxy on Fire" series

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Thats it for me. I wont buy another unfinished, barebone product so they can fund developement for another console. Now i only need to find some looser to buy my account.

Barebones launch ?

You mean launching a multiplayer game without grouping features, and then adding those grouping features a few months after launch and proudly calling it the first major content update of the game ?

Then we get toward the end of the first year, and we're told that the updates and patches we received during the year (which made the bare-bones game a bit more interesting) actually form part of the first EXPANSION, which is provided free of charge ! How incredibly generous. 

In the same breath, we are informed that FD have redefined the term "expansion", and that it will henceforth be known as a "season". The redefinition was needed, because players expect an expansion to be delivered all in one go. That could lead to misunderstandings and unhappiness, because with E:D, you pay all-in-one-go in advance, but you receive the contents in small updates spread over the following 12 months.

Originally, during the Kickstarter campaign, FD made it clear that major feature additions would be sold as expansions. One of these feature additions would be the ability to land on planets. So, the first expansion is announced, and we find out that the planetary landings will actually be spread over TWO paid expansions ! Tricky, but what can you do ? It's still technically what they promised in the KS days...

As long as the FD legal team can make sure that all their maneuverings are within the law, all shady tactics are OK.

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475

Barebones launch ?

... etc.

You are making way too much deal about 45$ pr. year of game play.

I am glad to see Frontier is going strong with releasing new content every few month and now a whole new planned Expansion. That really gives a lot of confidence to the Developers even though i am surprised how little they ask in return.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    we will see
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    The realism of this game and sheer scale is impressive.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    My problem with the pricing isn't who gets the base game and who gets the additional content as part of the package, or who gets access to beta, it's more to do with the content of the expansion. Access to airless planets and moons made of ice/rock/metals and a buggy to drive around. I'm not sure that's worth the asking price. There's no guarentee that anything additional later in the "season" will be substantial enough to justify the price either.

We're basically being asked to hand over the cash on faith and hoping that we get our money's worth later down the road. As it stands, the ability to land on an airless planet isn't worth £30/$45 to me.

Maybe 6 months after it releases it may look better value but that depends entirely on what other features are added as the season progresses. For now I'll be holding on to my cash.
    My problem with the pricing isn't who gets the base game and who gets the additional content as part of the package, or who gets access to beta, it's more to do with the content of the expansion. Access to airless planets and moons made of ice/rock/metals and a buggy to drive around. I'm not sure that's worth the asking price. There's no guarentee that anything additional later in the "season" will be substantial enough to justify the price either.

We're basically being asked to hand over the cash on faith and hoping that we get our money's worth later down the road. As it stands, the ability to land on an airless planet isn't worth £30/$45 to me.

Maybe 6 months after it releases it may look better value but that depends entirely on what other features are added as the season progresses. For now I'll be holding on to my cash.
    Really? I think it's totally worth it. I always wanted to land on planets in my ship, take a break from a long journey, and explore this new world. I was already enjoying Space exploration, and now this? It doubles the fun of Exploration.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, a friend of mine owns just Factions and played it a lot. Factions and Nightfall werent expansions at all but standalone campaigns even though you could move your character between them.

This sounds more like EQ2s early expansions that either could be bought alone or in a pack with the original game and all earlier expansions (which is still a good idea, far easier to get into the game when you don't have to buy a lot of different boxes).

A stunning conceptual art from a Newsletter #86. No in-game footage yet.

Pax Prime in 2 weeks. They will be there.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Better to spend $40-$45 on an Elite expansion, i.e. a good game with nothing to do....and the expansion will give us more things to do and make it more interesting. As opposed to spending that same money on more Hearthstone Cards
  • kramsterkramster Member UncommonPosts: 93
    edited August 2015
     Jonas_SG said:

A stunning conceptual art from a Newsletter #86. No in-game footage yet.

Pax Prime in 2 weeks. They will be there.

Don't get your hopes up too high.

Stunning 'conceptual' trailer....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwvjElmFCfE not even in the same galaxy as the actual game let alone ball park. In fact it actually looks more like Star Citizen which is ironic

And according to the recent newsletter they will be only presenting CQC not the expansion