Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Down to 5.6 Million

Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191

Blizzard Entertainment had the largest online player community in its history, with Q2 MAUsB up 50% year-over-year. Though World of Warcraft® ended the quarter at 5.6 million subscribersC, Blizzard revenues are up year-over-year based on strong performance across the expanding Blizzard portfolio. On June 23, 2015, Blizzard Entertainment released, Fury of Hellfire, one of the largest non-expansion content updates to date for World of Warcraft. This new content helped stabilize the subscriber number towards the end of the quarter. World of Warcraft remains the No. 1 subscription?based MMORPG in the world.

So WoW has dropped another 1.5 million subscribers in the Q2 despite the 6.2 release and the sale of tokens.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Before anyone think it is a lie: http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/08/04/world-of-warcraft-down-to-5-6-million-subscribers/

Not good news for Blizzard but I fear the latest expansion were botched, garrisons and shipyards really isn't good MMO features.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    okay and?
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I just don't see where all those new resources were put to use as this is the most "maintenance" like expansion they've had.  Activision is unlikely to boost development on this game so ...
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Loke666

Before anyone think it is a lie: http://blizzardwatch.com/2015/08/04/world-of-warcraft-down-to-5-6-million-subscribers/

Noy good news for Blizzard but I fear the latest expansion were botched, garrisons and shipyards really isn't good MMO features.

No they are not good features for an MMO.  I was crazy for WOD before it dropped and it turned into a Pita.  I told Blizzard time and time again on the WOD Beta forums.  Week 1 of Beta had great instances where I needed to have my group CC again I was ok wiping on new bosses.  Why?  Because it felt like I was playing a game it would take months for me to learn all the stuff.  Yet the people on the forums bitched that CC should be done away with and anything outside of MOP instances are too much for people.  So what happened?  Instances became again a rush piece of content that bored the shit out of me.  O and telling me to do Challenge modes which are nothing but a speed run period is a crock.   When I run a Dungeon I want about a 30 to 45 minute run that makes me pay attention and know my role; anything else is pointless and will be used as a gear treadmill.  

O well them days are over and WOW will never recover the numbers because they focused too much on the 15 minute gamer.  Yes we all have less time however that does not mean content needed to be a race.  

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

No offense but the sooner this game dies the sooner we can start moving into bigger and better games .

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191

I reckon the whole more staff they touted was a load of BS, I've seen nothing that would warant such a claim.

There's nothing outside of raiding to do and there's only 3 raids at that, no new BG's because they decided on the failure that is Ashran and pretty much everything else you need can no be gotten from garrisons oh and lets not forget the highly anticipated Twitter intergration.

• MMOVet74MMOVet74 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    And it will continue to decline. The August 6th expansion reveal is just damage control,  but the wound is already badly infected, the antibiotics are not working and I fear the infection may  begin to spread to the vital organs. WOW is dying, F2P surgery is the only option to save its life.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

really tired of people bringing up pointless shit like this about wow every year. game is 10+ years old what do you expect?

its still towering over all the other games as its a beast we will never see happen again. instead of looking for its downfall that prob wont happen until they shut it down, Celebrate that you are witnessing video gaming history. No media product has been this successful for this long. I mean you have a few like harry potter, Pokemon etc.. but this is an mmo. AN MMO. Its become part of pop culture it's so iconic. Again an MMO. This prob wont happen again. Think about it

We have the Creators, fans, community and staff to thank for that. I dont even play wow anymore but i used to play constantly before wotlk came out and i must say i have yet to have a mmo game give me the "wow feeling" of being part of something that has turned into something much larger than just a niche game.  There are always going to be Earnings and Losses its called running a billion dollar company. It takes nothing away from what it really is. I dont see the point of every single year pointing out when wow has losses or gains for that manner. We have been around it long enough..played it long enough to know the cycle. Wow drops new content = subs go up. Wow patches new content = people get annoyed, some leave. Wow does final patch for new content = people complain more people leave.  People leave Wow =  let's report the earnings and subs numbers. Wow drops new content = subs go up... ETC

get over it. 

Instead of trying to point out every single thing you can about it.. why not Celebrate it, because when it's gone, you same people will be saying "things arent like when WOW was here, they were constantly trying to innovate mmos blah blah blah" 

Internet culture calm down. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Other mmorpgs are gaining, especially in the west. What's that leave western WoW with a couple million people tops? A couple million subs of which a % don't even pay cash?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MMOVet74MMOVet74 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited October 2015

[mod edit]

Blizzard needs to  make progression servers like Everquest  2 recently did with TL. Old school wow players like myself won't play the game as it is today. It just doesn't appeal to them. It's  way to easy, has no community, group content is dead, feels like your playing a single player rpg with farmville and pokemon added to the mix.

This new expansion reveal  better make some sweeping changes to the core gameplay or else...

Oh and if your wondering if  Vanilla WOW was that good or it's just the  nostalgia talking, well I can tell you without a doubt,  it's pure Crack! Not that street crack that's watered down with baking soda and sugar, this is the real 100% certified  crack organic stuff.

Post edited by Amana on
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by klash2def

really tired of people bringing up pointless shit like this about wow every year. game is 10+ years old what do you expect?

its still towering over all the other games as its a beast we will never see happen again. instead of looking for its downfall that prob wont happen until they shut it down, Celebrate that you are witnessing video gaming history. No media product has been this successful for this long. I mean you have a few like harry potter, Pokemon etc.. but this is an mmo. AN MMO. Its become part of pop culture it's so iconic. Again an MMO. This prob wont happen again. Think about it

We have the Creators, fans, community and staff to thank for that. I dont even play wow anymore but i used to play constantly before wotlk came out and i must say i have yet to have a mmo game give me the "wow feeling" of being part of something that has turned into something much larger than just a niche game.  There are always going to be Earnings and Losses its called running a billion dollar company. It takes nothing away from what it really is. I dont see the point of every single year pointing out when wow has losses or gains for that manner. We have been around it long enough..played it long enough to know the cycle. Wow drops new content = subs go up. Wow patches new content = people get annoyed, some leave. Wow does final patch for new content = people complain more people leave.  People leave Wow =  let's report the earnings and subs numbers. Wow drops new content = subs go up... ETC

get over it. 

Instead of trying to point out every single thing you can about it.. why not Celebrate it, because when it's gone, you same people will be saying "things arent like when WOW was here, they were constantly trying to innovate mmos blah blah blah" 

Internet culture calm down. 

That's the thing though the game has been on a downhill slope since WoTLK some of the decisions they've taken are a complete joke and a lot of people are hoping that this decline in sub numbers will give them a kick up the arse, they went from 10 million at the start of WoD down to 5.6 with an even bigger predicted fall off in Q3.

It's nothing to do with it being a 10 year old game when WoD released they went back up to 10 million, people still enjoy the game however people don't enjoy being took for mugs as is what's happening now, there is hardly anything outside of raiding to do. 

3 raids only 2 of which were tier and a zone that should've been in at launch added in the 6.2 patch, there has only been 1 major patch this entire expansion an expansion might I add that was more expensive than any previous + the monthly sub that they are still charging.

They really need to do something major to sort it out.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

As always with WoW the question is: can they still generate hype with their new expansion?   Which conveniently is getting announced in two days.

History says they can, but getting players that feel burned by WoD hyped again is going to be challenging. 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Lets be honest, if they can get people to play after MoP they can do anything. That said, I've never been less hyped for a WoW expansion ever.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt
    Lets be honest, if they can get people to play after MoP they can do anything. That said, I've never been less hyped for a WoW expansion ever.

This ^

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    5.6 millions still a lots , they only need to worry if it drop below 1 million .
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by iixviiiix
    5.6 millions still a lots , they only need to worry if it drop below 1 million .

not quite true.. if you lose nearly half of your income from one source you should be worried.. and start looking at why and who to fire 

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

Any lower then 3M and be ready for a massive spam in Blizzard Store insta win items to compensate the loss of revenue.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited October 2015
    Originally posted by MMOVet74

[mod edit]

Blizzard needs to  make progression servers like Everquest  2 recently did with TL. Old school wow players like myself won't play the game as it is today. It just doesn't appeal to them. It's  way to easy, has no community, group content is dead, feels like your playing a single player rpg with farmville and pokemon added to the mix.

This new expansion reveal  better make some sweeping changes to the core gameplay or else...

Oh and if your wondering if  Vanilla WOW was that good or it's just the  nostalgia talking, well I can tell you without a doubt,  it's pure Crack! Not that street crack that's watered down with baking soda and sugar, this is the real 100% certified  crack organic stuff.

Agree 100% on the TL servers and I have no doubt it's at least been talked about.  Also agree on the next xpac needing to be something that changes the core gameplay, and not something like garrisons heh.  I find it interesting that this news drops two days before the reveal of the next xpac... I'm excited to see what they come up with, both story and feature wise.

I would love to play vanilla WoW as I came in at BC.  From what I've heard it sounds as though I would really enjoy it.  Start blending up some coca leaf smoothies!

Post edited by Amana on
  • BentusiBentusi Member Posts: 10
    What amazes me is that 5,6 million people are still playing it. Then again I guess this is Blizzard counting all the gold sellers and Chinese farmers twice to make themselves look good as usual.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    edited October 2015
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Originally posted by MMOVet74

[mod edit]

Agree 100% on the TL servers and I have no doubt it's at least been talked about.  Also agree on the next xpac needing to be something that changes the core gameplay, and not something like garrisons heh.  I find it interesting that this news drops two days before the reveal of the next xpac... I'm excited to see what they come up with, both story and feature wise.

I would love to play vanilla WoW as I came in at BC.  From what I've heard it sounds as though I would really enjoy it.  Start blending up some coca leaf smoothies!

I said it 2-3 months ago that WoW will be bringing out a progression server at some point soon. Could you imagine how many people they would get back for that. You know damn well they won t just roll over and let this continue to drop.

Post edited by Amana on
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Bentusi
    What amazes me is that 5,6 million people are still playing it. Then again I guess this is Blizzard counting all the gold sellers and Chinese farmers twice to make themselves look good as usual.

As at end June, only a few days after 6.2. Have to assume that some stayed subbed for the patch. And tokens. If the deferred income AB have reported is due to tokens then, using it as a guide would suggest that c1.4M or more of the 5.6M were using a token. What will next quarter bring? 

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030

Wow ar 5.6 million still has many, many times more millions than its nearest rival.

Nothing else I can think of even has 1 million subscribers, so forgive me if I dont' really see the issue here.  Unless people think 5 million subs isn't profitable?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by scorpex-x

Wow ar 5.6 million still has many, many times more millions than its nearest rival.

Nothing else I can think of even has 1 million subscribers, so forgive me if I dont' really see the issue here.  Unless people think 5 million subs isn't profitable?

game has 10 million, it must be amazing

game has 7million, it must be amazing

game has 5 million, it must be amazing

game has 4  million, it must be amazing

game has 3 million, it must be amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPFmrxRwpk&feature=youtu.be

Players don't care about profitability,  they care that they are getting quality content for their market leading cost per year, don't you?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KaniverKaniver Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Three main reasons this is happening, IMO:

1.  Game is old, top heavy (not much can be done about this)

2.  Over-simplification of game systems leaves out some of the wonder and flavor of making tweaks and choices.  Also makes gameplay more repetitive.  Trivializing crafting/gathering wasn't too wise, either.

3.  Telling players how they have to play the game (This is a big one).  Blizzard is telling EVERYONE they are a GARRISON COMMANDER.  What if I don't see my player as a garrison commander, but as a traveling mercenary or explorer?  TOO BAD.

2 and 3 are very much on point.

I hated how they gutted crafting in WOD, it took the mindless enjoyment of gathering farming materials away as an option, an option I utilized for YEARS!

Over simplification of the different builds possible was the wrong way to go IMHO...........they should of added more depth instead.

As an example I am loving the diversity in the builds possible in ESO.

I have felt for some time now that Blizzard has lost there way.......................now it shows.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    WoW is old and outdated so who cares.