Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs and VR and Mortal Online

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
I was looking at a list of games on VR, just to see if anyone was making games for it (Oculus Rift specifically) and I was very surprised to see Mortal Online.  I have no idea how good it is, because it is known for it's bugs and hacks, but still.  If they can have a VR game, it should be well within the realm of possibility for other MMO developers to do so.  Especially ones that have a bit of funding behind them.

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    IMHO I think the VR stuffs just gonna be a passing gimmick. Like 3d TVs. I mean, who's really gonna game for hours with that enormous think hanging off their face. Yeah it's cool to look around the game and all I guess. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I was looking at a list of games on VR, just to see if anyone was making games for it (Oculus Rift specifically) and I was very surprised to see Mortal Online.  I have no idea how good it is, because it is known for it's bugs and hacks, but still.  If they can have a VR game, it should be well within the realm of possibility for other MMO developers to do so.  Especially ones that have a bit of funding behind them.

In the realm of possibility? Yes. Worth the time or effort? Depends on the game. MO is first person, so the visuals lend themselves very well to VR. Third person, isometric and some other views... not so much. There's also the matter of controls. Until these headsets have an external camera you can switch to on-the-fly, don't you dare take your hands of your mouse or keyboard, especially in the middle of a battle. :) 

Then there's the question of how many of your players want such a feature, and then reduce that by the number that are willing to spend the money for the headset. NOW... reduce that by the number of players you expect to actually be using this novelty three months later. That's the number to base your estimates off of. 

That said, almost any game can plug in the DLL and add a toggle in the options menu if they just want to half-ass it for the sake of saying they support VR, so it's not just in the realm of possibility, it's very doable. Whether or not it is worth it is the real question. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83

I have many hours in several rift enabled games and many hour in games forced to use the rift.

If you don't have one, you just don't know.

I don't want to touch an First Person perspective game without the rift (for me it is that compelling).

Mortal could be a good rift game if they add an fov slider without it it sucks.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

They do exist, some of them have already been out for a while.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

In the realm of possibility? Yes. Worth the time or effort? Depends on the game. MO is first person, so the visuals lend themselves very well to VR. Third person, isometric and some other views... not so much. There's also the matter of controls. Until these headsets have an external camera you can switch to on-the-fly, don't you dare take your hands of your mouse or keyboard, especially in the middle of a battle. :) 

Then there's the question of how many of your players want such a feature, and then reduce that by the number that are willing to spend the money for the headset. NOW... reduce that by the number of players you expect to actually be using this novelty three months later. That's the number to base your estimates off of. 

That said, almost any game can plug in the DLL and add a toggle in the options menu if they just want to half-ass it for the sake of saying they support VR, so it's not just in the realm of possibility, it's very doable. Whether or not it is worth it is the real question. 

Regarding the control scheme: I understand all consumer versions of the Rift are planned to ship with an Xbox One controller.  It makes sense that a "hands on" approach would be a must for games hoping to make use of the Rift.  Alternatively, I've wondered about somehow providing an outline of a keyboard overlayed in virtual space along with a mouse, perhaps sensing when your hands have left the KB+M to provide easy orientation.

Two other avenues I think we'll see further development in are voice controls ala Voice Attack and "controllerless" schemes that can sense the location of your hands to provide input without requiring a physical controller.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Wanted to add that most games I play in the rift i use an xbox 360 controller with pinnacle game profiler to remap controller.

Racing games, I have a wheel and pedals.

Flight games, I have HOTAS and pedals.

And as the above poster mentioned Voice Attack.

Using these i have no issue with not being able to see keyboard.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by EpicJohnson

Wanted to add that most games I play in the rift i use an xbox 360 controller with pinnacle game profiler to remap controller.

Racing games, I have a wheel and pedals.

Flight games, I have HOTAS and pedals.

And as the above poster mentioned Voice Attack.

Using these i have no issue with not being able to see keyboard.

Do you consider that common PC gamer behavior/practice, or would you consider yourself an exception.

Better yet, let me answer that for you:

• You have an Oculus VR
    • You're a PC gamer who not only uses a controller but is comfortable with it
    • You have an array of different, rather expensive, input devices
    • You are tech savvy enough with them to remap them and configure them
    • You even know what Voice Attack is

You are the EXTREME exception. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

I like to think of myself as an enthusiast.
    If you have the money to get VR gear it is not that hard to get the other stuff.