Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow!! What a blast!

luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96

Hey guys, just wanted to share an experience I haven't had in a long LONG time.

I was hesitant about going back. Having been in EQ2 opening day and playing it for around 4 years straight.

But I have to say that for the first time in YEARS...I am having genuine fun in an MMO again.

The world is HUGE, tons of secrets to find, countless quests with fun to follow story lines, every class has its own niche in the groups. And the biggest + of all (For me). Open world PvP....I mean REAL open world PvP like we used to have before the days of BG's. With REAL Risk vs reward since you drop around 80% of the money you are carrying on you when killed by another player and have a chance to drop an item. 

I find myself grouping constantly for dungeons, with the scouts keeping track up, reporting in if they sense any Qeynos in the area. All of us on constant guard since a rouge groups could mean wiping us and taking all of our gold and possibly our items from the dungeon run.

And heck, im doing stuff in this game that I still can't do in today's games. I can posses real players and turn them into pets to fight their own group for me in PvP.......yep.....nothing more fun than that.

Sure, the graphics are dated...but I still dont think they are bad by any means...withstanding the test of 10 years of time isn't an easy task nowadays either in the graphics department. 

Anyway, if you're thinking about trying it out, I would recommend it. 

And remember, this is back in the time before WoW (Well....sorta.....at the same time as WoW :P). MMO's at this point were made for Social and Grouping...if you go at this alone it will be a long....hard....tedious....and death filled road. Bring some friends or....*gasp*...make some in game :P.  If you're a 100% solo player you can still get it done...it's just much harder.

Comments

• KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56

"If you're a 100% solo player you can still get it done...it's just much harder."

Not even close the game stream lines you through level agnostic fast que dungeons all they way to current content, and lesbehonest this game has pick up so many theme park bad habits its not even close to what the game initially was pure wow clone at this point. Though there is still all the pre expantions zones you could play through utterly void of life... whats the point?

• luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96

Sorry...I wasn't clear :p

I'm talking about the New servers that just went up less than 2 weeks ago that are Time Locked.

They are the orig EQ2 except in the current EQ2 world. What I mean is...the cities are they way they are now..Neriak exists, the Spires for KoS are there...but they cant be used. There is no Que system...anything that came out in any of the expansions doesn't work. (Actually you get rune drops even at low level...but cant use them :P)

It's nothing like how the game is now. 

Really feels much like it used too.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048

Yes am on the new TLE too. It's  hopping and the chat is full and I feel energized and the fact that it is EQ2 is wonderful. I know the graphics are dated and what not but damn it is fun .I always loved this game. Now if I want to do up my house I need carpentry but I also want armour for my inquisitor or shall I go sage for spells. No must not make alts absolutely not.image

Do you think carpentry could make any money on this new server and if I went for armourcrafting how hard would the ingredients be and this has cross crafting dependency like it was at launch which was why I had 6 crafters on each faction. Yes me the crazy ass crafter. No ,no this time must concentrate on just one thing. 

So glad they decided on making this new server . Love the fact that it is crowded . When I saw the options for the UI I almost fainted and I had difficulty even finding out how to get the additional hotbars and for some reason hotbar 3 cannot be moved all the others can. Very odd.

Collections !!! I used to love that. I'd spend hours looking for that one last item. 

I missed this game so much and I did not even realise how much until I logged in .

Chamber of Chains
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by luclinraider

Sorry...I wasn't clear :p

I'm talking about the New servers that just went up less than 2 weeks ago that are Time Locked.

They are the orig EQ2 except in the current EQ2 world. What I mean is...the cities are they way they are now..Neriak exists, the Spires for KoS are there...but they cant be used. There is no Que system...anything that came out in any of the expansions doesn't work. (Actually you get rune drops even at low level...but cant use them :P)

It's nothing like how the game is now. 

Really feels much like it used too.

Hmm, that actually sounds pretty fun. Been a long time since I gave up on Eq2, maybe I should give it a go next time I have a few days to kill. :)

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    As someone who has not logged on for a long time(years),  how fast will the expansions unlock?  I hear that there will be voting by the players but am worried about the pace and that I won't have enough time to progress as fast as others,  thus making older zones pretty empty?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am having a blast also.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Recore
    I am having a blast also.

Same here.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    I've tried going back a couple of times before and it was awful....A new time locked server is certainly what the game needed, but like others here there are questions as to how long it remains in the older expansion.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I never understood why they needed to take out the original tutorial zone or the original starter cities, it never made any sense to me, not even EQ1 did that kind of shit.

Sorry, but i'm not coming back for this cause they have been doing totally unnecessary things with EQ2 for a while and have pissed me off to the point of no return. Even the things I hate they have done to EQ1 do not amount to what they have done with EQ2, just unnecessary and I refuse to go retro on this one, even if I do have some retro feelings, they just squashed all those feeling completely years ago. 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Every class has a niche? Puuuuulease. Almost no MMO on the market has as many useless classes as EQ2. That comment just shows how little you actually know about what you're playing. You pretty much don't group at all until max level. The pvp is so poorly thought out no one skilled can possibly take it serious.

There's no risk vs reward either....you don't lose anything when you die. So you can just throw your dead body at content until you win, regardless of how bad you are. That is not risk vs. reward.

It's fine if you found a game that meshes with you well but don't spread misinformation that will just waste peoples time, giving a subpar game another chance. Also no one deserves your money less then SoE/Daybreak. Let them do something noteworthy in this decade then we can think about rewarding them with our wallets.

My prediction: you'll be done in a month, if that.

I decided carpenter since I think I can get weapons and armour from the quests and dungeons since I am nuts about the housing carpenter it is. You can even make the flooring and stuff I saw some of the recipes. That is absolutely awesome. The housing in this game has always IMO been the very best with Vanguard a close second.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Braindome

I never understood why they needed to take out the original tutorial zone or the original starter cities, it never made any sense to me, not even EQ1 did that kind of shit.

Sorry, but i'm not coming back for this cause they have been doing totally unnecessary things with EQ2 for a while and have pissed me off to the point of no return. Even the things I hate they have done to EQ1 do not amount to what they have done with EQ2, just unnecessary and I refuse to go retro on this one, even if I do have some retro feelings, they just squashed all those feeling completely years ago. 

The original starter cities have 1 huge drawback: zooning. Getting from one place in  Q or Freep were sometimes really annoying. Splitting the towns up in 2 zones would have been fine but there were a huge number of them and most were surprisingly small. Neriak and GF are far better zones to play in for that reason even though Neriak used to be really laggy due to bad coding.

The tutorial zone was fine though.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Thebeasttt

Every class has a niche? Puuuuulease. Almost no MMO on the market has as many useless classes as EQ2. That comment just shows how little you actually know about what you're playing. You pretty much don't group at all until max level. The pvp is so poorly thought out no one skilled can possibly take it serious.

There's no risk vs reward either....you don't lose anything when you die. So you can just throw your dead body at content until you win, regardless of how bad you are. That is not risk vs. reward.

It's fine if you found a game that meshes with you well but don't spread misinformation that will just waste peoples time, giving a subpar game another chance. Also no one deserves your money less then SoE/Daybreak. Let them do something noteworthy in this decade then we can think about rewarding them with our wallets.

My prediction:  That eat your words once your realize the OP is talking about the TLE server where, gues what? everyone is goruping again.  And classes are unique and each has a special something they bring to parties.  The live game may be as you say, due to elitist playstyles and the game being pruned to be easy to hit level cap, as any long in the tooth MMO should do, but don't harp on those of us enjoying the TLE server and the nice steady progression we missed out on over the years playing other MMOs.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

The OP is talking about the new TLE server. Which has old XP gains, including XP penalties when dying how it was at launch.

Grouping is pretty much needed again, unless you like to boringly grind your rear end off to outlevel content to forcefully solo it.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by JeroKane

The OP is talking about the new TLE server. Which has old XP gains, including XP penalties when dying how it was at launch.

Grouping is pretty much needed again, unless you like to boringly grind your rear end off to outlevel content to forcefully solo it.

I hope you are correct and Thebeasttt misunderstood the OPs point.  If not, then he didn't play at launch or he wouldn't have posted that. A good group had a Fighter of some sort, a Rogue, Predator, Bard, healer, and a mage.  Of course you could succeed without that exact group build, and that was fine by me.  You could have two healers if the fighter wasn't a plate wearer for instance, or have two rogues or predators vice a bard, etc. etc. etc.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I am on the PVE server Stormhold and also having a great time. I mean how long has it been since grouping up in the old dungeons of Wailing Caves, Runnyeye, Ruins of Varsoon? I loved having track up to find the bosses before the other groups back in the day. Totally worth the sub!
  • UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Yep, I am having the most fun in a MMO since vanilla WoW server starts. I get to Group up and run around dungons and heal peoples. The only soloing I done was to get to 13 and the quest in the starter area to get my mount.

Something Awful this way comes.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    It just proves that games from this era were just better. I picked this game over Wow at launch and it was a mess. If this game was half as good as it is today it would have gave Wow a run for the money for sure. But it was a mess and Wow took off into what it is today. EQ2 took a long time to recover from such a bad launch. But playing it now is pretty great. You can't run out of things to do. And if you like crafting and never played this game you are missing out. The game gives you housing right off the bat. My character is a carpenter and i made all my own furnishing. I spent to much time on my 2 story house.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Now I'm very hyped. Thanks OP, I'm going home and trying it myself.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Originally posted by Bannuk
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I hope you are correct and Thebeasttt misunderstood the OPs point.  If not, then he didn't play at launch or he wouldn't have posted that. A good group had a Fighter of some sort, a Rogue, Predator, Bard, healer, and a mage.  Of course you could succeed without that exact group build, and that was fine by me.  You could have two healers if the fighter wasn't a plate wearer for instance, or have two rogues or predators vice a bard, etc. etc. etc.

Sadly my post still mostly applies to TLE. I played EQ2 at launch and every class absolutely DID NOT have a niche are you kidding me. Half the classes had a more useful version of themselves just like present day because the class system was always way too bloated.

At launch everyone got xp debt for a group member dying on the way to your group. Not sure if that counts as risk vs reward, that's more of just bad programming. Good to hear pvp has some risk, too bad they never bothered to balance it at all so won't be taken too seriously.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259

Hello, I have tried this game for the first time yesterday. I chose RP server because I heart there is quite nice population.

Even the game is old I am having the blast too. I am gonna play a bit more and then consider my sub.

I dont know if I can choose starter location but my starter location is Frostfang Sea/New Halas. And thing is that I feel like there are ton of quests in very small area and its kind of boring. Its like being stuck in small area where are many quests, its repetitive.

I am lvl 15 but I hope it gets better with my PVE experience (I loved Vanguard)

Originally posted by kertin

Hello, I have tried this game for the first time yesterday. I chose RP server because I heart there is quite nice population.

Even the game is old I am having the blast too. I am gonna play a bit more and then consider my sub.

I dont know if I can choose starter location but my starter location is Frostfang Sea/New Halas. And thing is that I feel like there are ton of quests in very small area and its kind of boring. Its like being stuck in small area where are many quests, its repetitive.

I am lvl 15 but I hope it gets better with my PVE experience (I loved Vanguard)

Frostfang Sea/New Halas is the worst possible starting location you could have picked. I absolutely hate that area with a  passion!

Greater Faydark in Faydwer is a much better starter area and so is Timorous Deep.

You will have a much better starting experience choosing either of those. Never got bored going through Greater Faydark and then going into Butcherblock Mountains. Also a very nice zone.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

is it possible to try out eq 2 on those new servers

I mean do i need to pay anything?

Yes you have to pay for all access. If you do not sub you will not get into the new server.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Yes you have to pay for all access. If you do not sub you will not get into the new server.

They do this, so people cannot screw the voting process for unlocking an expac. Otherwise people that either want it unlocked (or not) can create a lot of free accounts to skew the outcome.