Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Theoretical question about interstellar travel in game.

Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55

When you are flying within a system in super cruise can you theoretically continue towards another starsystem without engaging the jump drive and ever actually arrive there? Perhaps it takes a month of constant flight, but would the game actually allow you to travel that way if someone had the time or inclination to do it? Or on the backend are these star systems only connected via the jump drive (like loading two separate instances, one for each system)?

Also, how "big" are the mini-instances you're in when you're out of super cruise? Similar to my question above, if you were a few million miles away from a planet out of super cruise, and you just let your ship fly at normal speed toward it for weeks or so, would you eventually get there? Or is the mini instance (out of supercruise) just a little enclosed area with a skybox in the background, if that makes any sense?

I've always wondered about this sort of thing and how the back end technology of this game works in reference to my two questions.

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

To me this sounds like someone who has just watched a magic trick and now wants to know how it was done.

And once you find out, the magic is gone.

Have we lost all sense of imagination in games now? 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Boneserino

To me this sounds like someone who has just watched a magic trick and now wants to know how it was done.

And once you find out, the magic is gone.

Have we lost all sense of imagination in games now? 

I'm not exactly sure how you managed to take that away from what I was asking....

Specifically the second point has real world gameplay implications. If I'm flying in a ring system around a planet and I'm enjoying flying through the rings, it would be nice to know if I'm making actual progress toward the planet if I'm keeping a heading on it, or if I'd have to get back into super cruise to actually reach the planet (especially once planetary landings are in and you have a reason to go to the actual planets). When you're out of super cruise, are you in an enclosed instance (meaning not making actual travel progress outside the space of that mini-instance), or could you theoretically, with enough time, travel around the system?

How this equates to a lost sense of imagination....I'm scratching my head, man.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by Good_Apollo

When you are flying within a system in super cruise can you theoretically continue towards another starsystem without engaging the jump drive and ever actually arrive there? Perhaps it takes a month of constant flight, but would the game actually allow you to travel that way if someone had the time or inclination to do it? Or on the backend are these star systems only connected via the jump drive (like loading two separate instances, one for each system)?

Also, how "big" are the mini-instances you're in when you're out of super cruise? Similar to my question above, if you were a few million miles away from a planet out of super cruise, and you just let your ship fly at normal speed toward it for weeks or so, would you eventually get there? Or is the mini instance (out of supercruise) just a little enclosed area with a skybox in the background, if that makes any sense?

I've always wondered about this sort of thing and how the back end technology of this game works in reference to my two questions.

No you can't. You need to do an actual hyperspace jump to cross the 'boundary'. Otherwise I believe what happens is - visually the star you're heading towards gets closer but it doesn't register as you being in the new system ie your co-ords, your HUD etc all show you as being in the system you were previously in.

As for non-supercruise space, it's the same, the system is the limit.

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Nope, it´s seggragated in small local maps. Hyperspace is an animated loading screen. Supercruise is an instance too which loads you into the next instance.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa
    Nope, it´s seggragated in small local maps. Hyperspace is an animated loading screen. Supercruise is an instance too which loads you into the next instance.

The only truth in that statement is hyperspace being a loading screen and there's nothing wrong with that.

How many people would actually want to spend 1 hour to reach 2001c and then an additional 4 hours 23 mins to travel just 1 poxie light year, sometimes it feels slow jumping 38 ly at a time in an Anaconda.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Robokapp

We know in EVE the answer is "yes". Long ago you could warp from 0.0 to Jita. Over many minutes. We also know it'd take thousands of years to do it by just "flying forward".

In ED...unkonwn but if it uses same architecture...

Technically you could, but as you'd run out of fuel before you'd covered a fraction of the distance, its not something you can do.image

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Phry

Technically you could, but as you'd run out of fuel before you'd covered a fraction of the distance, its not something you can do.image

Not that you would need any fuel once you have reached a certain speed.

In space there is basically nothing that would slow you down.

And yes ... you cannot supercruise to the next star in E:D.

In EVE Online you could try to scan down Deep Space waypoints (made using an exploit) where people had their stash of replacement ships and other stuff. Afterburning out there with a fast ship for 23,5 hours, D-scanning (5 degree opening) to stay on course.Then you made a waypoint.  Downtime came. You fly back to your new waypoint. Afterburning again for 23,5 hours. The deepest point took me about a week to reach.

Our  spies told us it caused sweet tears when people found out that their "safepoint" is not as safe as they thought.

Have fun

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

[quote]Originally posted by Erillion
    [b][quote] Originally posted by PhryIn space there is basically nothing that would slow you down.[/b][/quote]

That's actually untrue. There are many things in space that would slow you down, change your direction, speed you up, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Erillion

Not that you would need any fuel once you have reached a certain speed.

In space there is basically nothing that would slow you down.

And yes ... you cannot supercruise to the next star in E:D.

In EVE Online you could try to scan down Deep Space waypoints (made using an exploit) where people had their stash of replacement ships and other stuff. Afterburning out there with a fast ship for 23,5 hours, D-scanning (5 degree opening) to stay on course.Then you made a waypoint.  Downtime came. You fly back to your new waypoint. Afterburning again for 23,5 hours. The deepest point took me about a week to reach.

Our  spies told us it caused sweet tears when people found out that their "safepoint" is not as safe as they thought.

Have fun

Ah the joys of using combat probes, oh well, as for the ED thing, when your in supercruise your either accellerating or decellerating, but the point is, that in order to reach a speed sufficient to reach the target in any meaningful time period, you would run out of fuel first, technically you could then coast the rest of the way, but that would take, ages, much like the Eve example, and then you'd have  the issue of, how to stop... image

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

[quote]Originally posted by Erillion
    [b][quote] Originally posted by PhryIn space there is basically nothing that would slow you down.[/b][/quote]

That's actually untrue. There are many things in space that would slow you down, change your direction, speed you up, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

In a planetary system, yes. E.g. Giant planets ("Comet catchers") or circumstellar dust clouds or Kuiper belt / Oort cloud objects etc.

In interstellar space (which is the topic discussed here) ... no.  Its about as good a vacuum as you will find anywhere.

Have fun

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Robokapp

We know in EVE the answer is "yes". Long ago you could warp from 0.0 to Jita. Over many minutes. We also know it'd take thousands of years to do it by just "flying forward".

In ED...unkonwn but if it uses same architecture...

i doubt it was ever true, but it's not true now. in EVE,  each system is an instance (edit: zone, actually), and one can't travel from one system to another except by gates or jumps.