Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart's 'New' List of Demands

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Was Roberts actually involved in the Harry Potter game?  How so?

You missed Strike Commander, I think.  Though Chris fired a few blanks  on that one as well.

Freelancer is a testament to the illusions of his work.   He mismanaged the game both in project and fiscal terms.   When he sold out to Microsoft, it was already a year and a half late.  It took MS several years and a ton more money to release the trimmed up version of the original (overpromised) ideas.  It was finished on someone else watch.

According to that list, Roberts really hasn't managed to release a game in 20 years.  

As for the Smart stuff, much of it seems rather ridiculous.  But then, this whole kerfluffle is two egomaniacs butting heads. 

Yellow = I said the same thing with special emphasis on "mismanaged the game both in project and fiscal terms."

And you were oh so correct.  

Also interesting to me;   I was going to Wikipedia to check up on some of the facts, and someone has done a pretty thorough pass on Roberts personal entry.   You'd think he started work in 2011!!    Plus it lists apparently every game made where he was at least once in the building at the same time.  Inspiring them to genius, I guess....

I like the part about Freelance and Starlancer with big ass MICROSOFT across the box in both games wiki entries.

See my post #23 in this thread for a link.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by Shodanas

BTW thousands of games bomb.

BTW, ALL games made by Smart bombed. HARD! Every single one of them. 

You should have a look at LoD reviews by people unfortunate enough to step into the alpha or naive enough to buy packages and yet to be released dlc's. Scam is the word used a lot.

Roberts' games outside of Origin Systems?   None.

He benefitted tremendously from the Origin connection.   As did Garriott, who was even worse as a project manager.

Not disagreeing about the DSmart games.  Never played any, can't say.   Word on the street is not good though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by FarScape

Derek Smart list of games.

Chris Robters list of games (shortened the Wing Commander games to shorten list)

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Wing Commander Series (1990-1994)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Yup, 'nuf said indeed.

When you combine the sales numbers of all Derek Smarts laundry list of titles, it still comes to less than the sales of just one of the games in Chris Roberts' "Wing Commander" series (which you so conveniently condense into a single line).

There really is no competition.

"Enought Said" image

Add Starlancer to CR's list as well. It's the predecessor to Freelancer and a top notch space combat game.

Starlancer was an out-of-house production, designed by Warthog Games in England.

L2 use google:

Starlancer is a space-based science fiction flight simulator computer game, created by Erin Roberts, Chris Roberts, and Warthog PLC under the auspices of Digital Anvil.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Ok, I'll roll with that.  How about an entire company that bombed?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_29857

"In the wake of the collapse of Digital Anvil, co-founder and soon-to-be-former CEO Chris Roberts has spoken about his decision to leave the company he founded just four years ago. As we suspected, the company's troubles were down to "wanting to develop not only hugely ambitious games, but too many hugely ambitious games", leaving the company's finances stretched after four years without a single game being released - the sole title to emerge with the Digital Anvil name on it was actually mostly developed by a small British company......................."

As do thousands of companies. Even companies with great minds behind them as well as popular products. What's your point?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

You should have a look at LoD reviews by people unfortunate enough to step into the alpha or naive enough to buy packages and yet to be released dlc's. Scam is the word used a lot.

Who cares if a game doesn't meet your (or my) definition of success, all that matters is if the developer and  investors consider it a success.

Originally posted by Distopia

"In the wake of the collapse of Digital Anvil, co-founder and soon-to-be-former CEO Chris Roberts has spoken about his decision to leave the company he founded just four years ago. As we suspected, the company's troubles were down to "wanting to develop not only hugely ambitious games, but too many hugely ambitious games", leaving the company's finances stretched after four years without a single game being released - the sole title to emerge with the Digital Anvil name on it was actually mostly developed by a small British company......................."

As do thousands of companies. Even companies with great minds behind them as well as popular products. What's your point?

Same has the person who linked another body of work in this thread as a point.....none.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Just google Derek Smart and Battle Cruiser.  Even if he is on to something, he is not the one that is going to be swaying any decision I make.

Edit:

Just found this and it brought back memories:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Derek_Smart

What does Derek Smart and BC have to do with Chris Roberts and this SC project?

. The thread is about Derek Smart commenting on SC and Chris Roberts.  Since his own game bombed and was delayed. . and was garbage I think it is a little ironic?

I completely agree with you.  If I had been in the same position years ago though I would not be so quick to call someone out.  I'm not saying that he is wrong, in fact I think he is likely dead on.  I just find it a little hollow to call out with such demands.  Its been a long time though so I guess I should cut him some slack.   Maybe having been through what he was though he is more capable of seeing through the lights and glamour.  I personally have thought that they should completely stop shelling ships until the game is finished.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Same has the person who linked another body of work in this thread as a point.....none.

No offense but are you saying you're trolling more or less?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Chris Robters list of games (shortened the Wing Commander games to shorten list)

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Yup, 'nuf said indeed.

When you combine the sales numbers of all Derek Smarts laundry list of titles, it still comes to less than the sales of just one of the games in Chris Roberts' "Wing Commander" series (which you so conveniently condense into a single line).

"Enought Said" image

Add Starlancer to CR's list as well. It's the predecessor to Freelancer and a top notch space combat game.

Starlancer was an out-of-house production, designed by Warthog Games in England.

L2 use google:

Starlancer is a space-based science fiction flight simulator computer game, created by Erin Roberts, Chris Roberts, and Warthog PLC under the auspices of Digital Anvil.

Couldn't find a single reference (other than from Chris Roberts) that he had anything to do with the game.  Perhaps an initial outline?   A lot of stuff up on the web about the making of the game and Warthog.   Erin Roberts yes, but Chris no. 

Chris  Roberts is a blowhard self promoter.  Go to his Wiki site, and you'll see a list of games that apparently includes nearly everything ever done at Origin.   I guess his mere presence in the building boosted their production.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Who cares if a game doesn't meet your (or my) definition of success, all that matters is if the developer and  investors consider it a success.

Yeah, right. I'm sure that Derek Smart considers all his creations as successful, there is no doubt about it. The rest of the world are just infidels not capable of grasping the grandiosity in his work.

I'm going to do an inquiry about sale figures regarding Smart's games and report back. It's going to be a good laugh.

I would call starting a new DS/CR thread every couple of hours/days with already covered items as trolling, but that's just me. 

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134

I would call starting a new DS/CR thread every couple of hours/days with already covered items as trolling, but that's just me. 

Oh you have no room to talk, I have seen the way you act in steam.

Yeah, right. I'm sure that Derek Smart considers all his creations as successful, there is no doubt about it. The rest of the world are just infidels not capable of grasping the grandiosity in his work.

I'm going to do an inquiry about sale figures regarding Smart's games and report back. It's going to be a good laugh.

Read his blog, find out for yourself.

Originally posted by macwood

Oh you have no room to talk, I have seen the way you act in steam.

Interested to hear this one, sent you a PM with my Steam log.  Amuse me please.

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Yup, 'nuf said indeed.

"Enought Said" image

L2 use google:

Starlancer was actually more Erins project so the talk about Chris hiring his family members is actually a good thing because I think Erin, is handling Squadron 42 and that really means that you have a solid guy handling that game.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibCpjQRSSTs

Watch at 6:41   - Derek practically foreshadows what he'll do to SC just based on his viewpoint, before SC ever even got their kickstarter up.

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Continue to attack Smart, continue to miss the point. He has a lot of good points.

Smart also knows industry insiders. He will know a lot more than any of us about what is happening. For example he was the only guy that noticed that CR had hired his wife to senior management!
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Damn I need to refill my popcorn. The fanboy nerdrage is so real! I have no idea who this Derek Smart guy even is, but he is hilarious. This is going to make it even more fun when this project crashes and burns and all the fanboys down in tears. Wake up people, this was a scam from day 1. The best way to shut this guy up is to prove him wrong, which they can't do because he is right on most of his points. Be prepared for dissapoint fanboys!
    Originally posted by adamlotus75
    Continue to attack Smart, continue to miss the point. He has a lot of good points.

Smart also knows industry insiders. He will know a lot more than any of us about what is happening. For example he was the only guy that noticed that CR had hired his wife to senior management!

So you're saying that he is a insider and that matters here, yet not what Derek Smart does on a normal basis, that has no relevance at all? BTW how is it an attack on someone to point out past actions, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one?

Is it an attack to say a Pizza maker makes pizzas?

Originally posted by Shoko_Lied

Watch at 6:41   - Derek practically foreshadows what he'll do to SC just based on his viewpoint, before SC ever even got their kickstarter up.

Yes, he secretly stalled production of a game two years ago............makes sense.

/Illuminati

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Smart has some good points and his words have rang true with many people. I don't have to like a person to agree with them.

I wonder,if SC crashes who the white knights will blame..? I suspect it won't be CR.
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied

Thanks for sharing this. You could sense how envious Derek Smart was of other devs that gained enough funding to create a project through Kickstarter.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723

The fact is that Star Citizen fans attacked already:

- PC Gamer

- Massively (when the article is not wrote by those who claim to be SC fanboys openly)

- Tenton Hammer

- Gamestar

- Gamespot

- IGN

- Derek Smart

and basically, ALL people who ever dare to criticize the game (and the level of 'witch hunt' raises as more the criticism persist, for example, just for some ironies, pc gamer/gamespot where fully bombed by SC fanboys... and when the arguments became even stronger and "dangerous" to fall into the eyes of the general public, then, they atomic-bomb whoever did that).

It's their standard behavior.  It's like they received a 'memo' from Roberts in how to silence criticism trying always not entering in the debate of what is said, but focusing to discredit who said whatever. Actually I saw in the past SC fans even opening threads in their forums and calling people, both in their chats or in the threads to come to the comments sections of artcles or other forums to "help".

I watched this again and again and suffered from this myself.

It's what DS said, the "Character assassination". They have nothing else to do for real. Because, unfortunately, they are wrong and the critics are in most of the cases fair.

It's their only option, because all the time, that they engage in the arguments, they know that lost the sense and make the thing even worst for their PR machine, their total focus on "spreading the word" and "silecing the criticism".

Derek Smart was not the first and won't be the last target of this people. Watch and learn.

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by adamlotus75
    Smart has some good points and his words have rang true with many people. I don't have to like a person to agree with them.

I wonder,if SC crashes who the white knights will blame..? I suspect it won't be CR.

IF? You should say when.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by jcrg99

The fact is that Star Citizen fans attacked already:

- PC Gamer

- Massively (when the article is not wrote by those who claim to be SC fanboys openly)

- Tenton Hammer

- Gamestar

- Gamespot

- IGN

- Derek Smart

and basically, ALL people who ever dare to criticize the game (and the level of 'witch hunt' raises as more the criticism persist, for example, just for some ironies, pc gamer/gamespot where fully bombed by SC fanboys... and when the arguments became even stronger and "dangerous" to fall into the eyes of the general public, then, they atomic-bomb whoever did that).

It's their standard behavior.  It's like they received a 'memo' from Roberts in how to silence criticism trying always not entering in the debate of what is said, but focusing to discredit who said whatever. Actually I saw in the past SC fans even opening threads in their forums and calling people, both in their chats or in the threads to come to the comments sections of artcles or other forums to "help".

I watched this again and again and suffered from this myself.

It's what DS said, the "Character assassination". They have nothing else to do for real. Because, unfortunately, they are wrong and the critics are in most of the cases fair.

It's their only option, because all the time, that they engage in the arguments, they know that lost the sense and make the thing even worst for their PR machine, their total focus on "spreading the word" and "silecing the criticism".

Derek Smart was not the first and won't be the last target of this people. Watch and learn.

I've created a few threads where I made an argument against the demands laid out by Derek Smart. You, and everyone else supporting Derek Smart, DODGED my arguments. 

So, the true irony is this nonsense you're posting.