Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart's 'New' List of Demands

WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
1. You, and your wife, Sandra Roberts (aka Sandi Gardiner), should resign, effective immediately, and relinquish control of this company to an interim CEO.

Who is Derek Smart to demand another company's founders to 'resign' that he has no stake in? In fact, you can argue he'd actually benefit from said company failing. Is anyone still taking this guy seriously at this point? Because, at this point, I'm starting to think he's both being a troll and trying to steal some of Star Citizen's spotlight.

2. Using the same rules you used to refund my pledge, without my asking, you are toimmediately process refunds in the amount of $2,134,374 as per the initial Kickstarter crowd-funding effort for those who request it. Those who want to wait to see the end (my instinct, from what I know now, is telling me that the end is looking a lot like a catastrophic total loss of this project), are welcome to do that.

He's basing this all on 'instinct' or 'gut feeling' when he has proven to have a track record of having no idea on how to create a good game; let alone a fully functional, AAA MMO. His own game was delayed by 3+ years and was in development for what appears to be twice as long as Star Citizen, and he's doing Early Access (you know, asking for pay before the game is complete) on Steam. Not to mention that his game, LoD, is sitting in Mostly Negative.

3. Give backers the opportunity to hire an independent forensics accountant, and an executive producer, to audit the company records, and give an accurate picture of the financial health of the company, and it’s ability to complete, and deliver this project in a timely fashion. I hereby offer to foot the entire costs of this effort. And I will put up to $1m of my own money, in an escrow account of an attorney’s choosing, to be used as-needed for this exercise. I will pay this price to prove that I had every right to seek these answers. So this money can either go toward a good cause (righting this ship), or to attorneys who are most likely to burn it all down anyway.

Here it is, folks. If this happens he'd be the majority stakeholder with the 'biggest' interest. This has hostile takeover written all over it. This man really is a vile, sleezy human being. It'll allow him to have a say in who'd be the CEO taking over; which then allows him to nominate himself.

4. If you ignore this, the more time passes, the more articles that myself, and investigative media write, revealing what we know, the more likely it is that this will end in legal (someone suing someone, and opening the flood gates) action, thereby  forcing you all to come to court and answer these questions.

Derek Smart, and investigative media, have no idea where the Star Citizen project is at, where the financial details are at, and neither of them have a right to these details for various, real, business reasons. Here is Derek Smart threatening to sue a company based upon 'instincts' and 'gut feeling', but has no tangible evidence.

He's demonstrated again and again that he doesn't have the ability to properly implement such things as AI, controls (leading to poor UX experience), and handling things such as PR. But, wants to use his gut feelings on a project on the scale of Star Citizen with team members that worked on games that are far better than anything he's done.

He's gone from being a backer with some legitimate concerns to a clear & hostile threat to the project.

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I have yet to see a single shred of actual evidence of misconduct revealed by either Mr. Smart or the "investigative media" (lmao) with regards to the SC project.

I have seen plenty of opinion, conjecture, allegations and innuendo, but no facts. No revelations of swiss bank accounts, no Carribean holidays or fake payments to non-existent third-parties. No evidence of tax dodging or dubious accounting practices. Nothing. Nada.

Good luck Mr. Smart, I have a feeling you're going to need it if you continue along these lines. This is the road to defamation and libel...

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

>>>>You, and your wife, Sandra Roberts (aka Sandi Gardiner), should resign, effective immediately, and relinquish control of this company to an interim CEO. >>>

DEJA VU !

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.193920-Derek-Smart-Caught-Up-in-Alganon-Plagiarism-Furor

"Smart, the notorious industry veteran ..... was brought in to assist soon after it launched, but by mid-March he had taken over the company as president and fired founder Dave Allen, a move which prompted no small amount of controversy in itself."

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Have fun

• novacane111novacane111 Member CommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I have yet to see a single shred of actual evidence of misconduct revealed by either Mr. Smart or the "investigative media" (lmao) with regards to the SC project.

I have seen plenty of opinion, conjecture, allegations and innuendo, but no facts. No revelations of swiss bank accounts, no Carribean holidays or fake payments to non-existent third-parties. No evidence of tax dodging or dubious accounting practices. Nothing. Nada.

Good luck Mr. Smart, I have a feeling you're going to need it if you continue along these lines. This is the road to defamation and libel...

Unfourtinatly, being penniless doesn't stop a troll. He may lose all credibility as a developer and producer but that doesn't stop him from being a pain in the ass.

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by Erillion

>>>>You, and your wife, Sandra Roberts (aka Sandi Gardiner), should resign, effective immediately, and relinquish control of this company to an interim CEO. >>>

DEJA VU !

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.193920-Derek-Smart-Caught-Up-in-Alganon-Plagiarism-Furor

"Smart, the notorious industry veteran ..... was brought in to assist soon after it launched, but by mid-March he had taken over the company as president and fired founder Dave Allen, a move which prompted no small amount of controversy in itself."

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Have fun

Why do you think he wants so badly for his $1 million to be used? If he manages to get that money used he'll have more money than anyone else 'invested' in the project giving him a lot of control.

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206

Lololololol.

Thought this couldn't get any funnier!

This is the Cable Guy in MMOs 2015!

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

I think you overestimate Derek's influence, while he certainly is clearly hostile, I don't really think he is a threat in any significant way.

Derek Smart is an industry clown, I don't think anyone has taken him seriously in over a decade.

His posts do make me laugh though  :)

T

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Wow ........ Wtf is all this and who is Derek Smart.  I poke my head in here once or twice every few months to see whats going on in the world of MMOs.  I see crazy stuff going on with Star Citizen and this Derek guy.  I google his name and it says he's a developer of a game called "Battlecruiser 3000" which received a 2.6 rating on gamespot.  He's making demands because he gave Roberts some money to make Star Citizen? 

Lol .... alrighty then.

It would seem there is a little more going on than I'm aware of.  I do not want to spend the next couple hours researching this stuff.  Does anyone have a tldr version?

Originally posted by Hairysun

Wow ........ Wtf is all this and who is Derek Smart.  I poke my head in here once or twice every few months to see whats going on in the world of MMOs.  I see crazy stuff going on with Star Citizen and this Derek guy.  I google his name and it says he's a developer of a game called "Battlecruiser 3000" which received a 2.6 rating on gamespot.  He's making demands because he gave Roberts some money to make Star Citizen? 

Lol .... alrighty then.

It would seem there is a little more going on than I'm aware of.  I do not want to spend the next couple hours researching this stuff.  Does anyone have a tldr version?

Derek Smart appears to be trying to make himself out to be a white knight for a small, but vocal group, of backers that are 'demanding' that Chris Roberts do things like allow him and those backers to hire a forensic accountant to comb through all of CIG's financial records; and to allow an 'independent' executive producer to come in and review the project.

Of course, Derek Smart portrays himself as the greatest 'indie' developer of all time. And, given his history of hostile takeover of other projects from other founders (David Allen and Alganon), I'm of the opinion that he wants to take over Star Citizen and gain access to the funding they generated via crowdfunding.

And, I think this is all because he has a 20+ year grudge against Chris Roberts. I also am of the opinion that he thinks he is the only person entitled to creating a vision like that of Star Citizen.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

seems Derek Smart started great show ! 

it is best fun what Star Citizen have to offer for now

• FarScapeFarScape Member UncommonPosts: 185

Derek Smart list of games.

Chris Robters list of games (shortened the Wing Commander games to shorten list)

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Wing Commander Series (1990-1994)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm of the opinion that publicity is publicity.  Good or bad.  It's the reason companies pull publicity stunts.

As I see it, Smart has become a walking advertisement for SC.  Unless he can produce something solidly fraudulent, it looks to me like this 'revolution' is going to back fire.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by FarScape

Chris Robters list of games (shortened the Wing Commander games to shorten list)

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Yup, 'nuf said indeed.

When you combine the sales numbers of all Derek Smarts laundry list of titles, it still comes to less than the sales of just one of the games in Chris Roberts' "Wing Commander" series (which you so conveniently condense into a single line).

There really is no competition.

"Enought Said" image

Star Citizen (2016)

• Freelancer (2003)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Now, take a moment to actually present a true representation of all those games that Derek Smart developed; after you factor in that they're mostly iterated upon versions of their former selves where there's  no 'new' game, but a 'game' that had to fix a shit ton of bad bugs from the previous version.

It's not like he started from scratch to build the CE, SE, v.2, super mega edition v3... I mean, that's just being disingenuous to represent all those as 'separate' games.

This is rich.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Ah Warley, the Master said to commend you for your continuing efforts on his behalf, your reward is soon forthcoming.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ah Warley, the Master said to commend you for your continuing efforts on his behalf, your reward is soon forthcoming.

Tens ships, 1/2 off double price.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Was Roberts actually involved in the Harry Potter game?  How so?

Missed Strike Commander, I think.  Though Chris fired a few blanks  on that one as well.

Freelancer is a testament to the illusions of his work.   He mismanaged the game both in project and fiscal terms.   When he sold out to Microsoft, it was already a year and a half late.  It took MS several years and a ton more money to release the trimmed up version of the original (overpromised) ideas.  It was finished on someone else watch.

According to that list, Roberts really hasn't managed to release a game in 20 years.  

As for the Smart stuff, much of it seems rather ridiculous.  But then, this whole kerfluffle is two egomaniacs butting heads. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

You missed Strike Commander, I think.  Though Chris fired a few blanks  on that one as well.

Freelancer is a testament to the illusions of his work.   He mismanaged the game both in project and fiscal terms.   When he sold out to Microsoft, it was already a year and a half late.  It took MS several years and a ton more money to release the trimmed up version of the original (overpromised) ideas.  It was finished on someone else watch.

According to that list, Roberts really hasn't managed to release a game in 20 years.  

As for the Smart stuff, much of it seems rather ridiculous.  But then, this whole kerfluffle is two egomaniacs butting heads. 

Yellow = I said the same thing with special emphasis on "mismanaged the game both in project and fiscal terms."

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Just google Derek Smart and Battle Cruiser.  Even if he is on to something, he is not the one that is going to be swaying any decision I make.

Edit:

Just found this and it brought back memories:

• "The fact of the matter is, most of you are just jealous. Pure and simple. In the past when I would sink down to your levels, engage you in the pits, return insult for insult etc, some of you got this [false] impression that we were of the same calibre; let alone the same caste. I make no excuses for who I am or what I am. What I DO know - and that which is proven and consistent - is that I have progressed over the years, improved on that which I created etc. While, well, all of you are just the same crochety, stagnant, inconsequential people you always were." --Derek Smart

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Just google Derek Smart and Battle Cruiser.  Even if he is on to something, he is not the one that is going to be swaying any decision I make.

Edit:

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Derek_Smart

What does Derek Smart and BC have to do with Chris Roberts and this SC project?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Edit:

. The thread is about Derek Smart commenting on SC and Chris Roberts.  Since his own game bombed and was delayed. . and was garbage I think it is a little ironic?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Yup, 'nuf said indeed.

When you combine the sales numbers of all Derek Smarts laundry list of titles, it still comes to less than the sales of just one of the games in Chris Roberts' "Wing Commander" series (which you so conveniently condense into a single line).

"Enought Said" image

Add Starlancer to CR's list as well. It's the predecessor to Freelancer and a top notch space combat game.

Edit:

. The thread is about Derek Smart commenting on SC and Chris Roberts.  Since his own game bombed and was delayed. . and was garbage I think it is a little ironic?

Ok, I'll roll with that.  How about an entire company that bombed?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/article_29857

"In the wake of the collapse of Digital Anvil, co-founder and soon-to-be-former CEO Chris Roberts has spoken about his decision to leave the company he founded just four years ago. As we suspected, the company's troubles were down to "wanting to develop not only hugely ambitious games, but too many hugely ambitious games", leaving the company's finances stretched after four years without a single game being released - the sole title to emerge with the Digital Anvil name on it was actually mostly developed by a small British company......................."

BTW thousands of games bomb.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

You missed Strike Commander, I think.  Though Chris fired a few blanks  on that one as well.

Yellow = I said the same thing with special emphasis on "mismanaged the game both in project and fiscal terms."

And you were oh so correct.  

Also interesting to me;   I was going to Wikipedia to check up on some of the facts, and someone has done a pretty thorough pass on Roberts personal entry.   You'd think he started work in 2011!!    Plus it lists apparently every game made where he was at least once in the building at the same time.  Inspiring them to genius, I guess....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

BTW thousands of games bomb.

BTW, ALL games made by Smart bombed. HARD! Every single one of them. 

You should have a look at LoD reviews by people unfortunate enough to step into the alpha or naive enough to buy packages and yet to be released dlc's. Scam is the word used a lot.

Originally posted by Shodanas

• Star Citizen (2016)
    • Freelancer (2003)
    • Times of Lore (1988)
    • Striker's Run (1986)

Enought Said.

Yup, 'nuf said indeed.

"Enought Said" image

Add Starlancer to CR's list as well. It's the predecessor to Freelancer and a top notch space combat game.

Starlancer was an out-of-house production, designed by Warthog Games in England.