Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - get ready for GamesCom ! (Multi Crew ships in action)

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by Roin
    I missed the live stream image. Hopefully it gets posted to youtube before end of day.

90 % of what you see in the livestream A2.0 demo can be seen in the GameStar video link (see above).

But the live stream has lots of other stuff, especially about organisations, player tools, Saitek SC hardware and a ton more.

I am sure they will link a copy soon.

The live show was ANYTHING BUT a professional stage show like you would see from EA ... but the audience smiles about the small glitches and jokes with the pair on stage.

Have fun

PS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=694&v=iZtEEAdEihg

High quality version of Multi crew demo now on Youtube (not the live demo version)

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Well colour me impressed. That was a nice demo. The shifts between rendering modes where nice than I feared. Though you can see them if you know what to look for. (Characters disapering from shipmode view when they enter EVA, stuttering when entering ship control mdoe etc., but all minor quibbles.)

I still have a lot of unanswered questions though, and I am still sceptical about many of the mechanics shown and thier ability to actually make this work properly when lag goes from a few ms in local network to 100ms+. (For example the scene the guy moving around in a rolling ship is going to get very complex when you add lag. Not impossible, but very complex.)

I also notice that, at least in what we saw here, there is no fps fighting. This tells me it was all done in the Flight Engine alone and not with the fps part, but I could of course be very wrong about that.

Also we really need to see how this works under MMO conditions, when you cant really limit how many people/ships enter the same space without things getting akward and/or unbalanced if you set artificial limits.

But this demo at least have earned them a bit of slag.

'ERE WE GO   'ERE WE GO   'ERE WE GO

THROUGH THE COSMOS

WE DUNNO WHERE UNTIL WE'RE THERE

** raises his glass **

Have fun

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Erillion

THROUGH THE COSMOS

** raises his glass **

Have fun

Stick your fun you annoying little skit.  You are 47 stop acting like some jersey shore wannabe.

Originally posted by wyldmagik

Stick your fun you annoying little skit.  You are 47 stop acting like some jersey shore wannabe.

PROST ! ;-)

Have fun

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Erillion

THROUGH THE COSMOS

** raises his glass **

Have fun

Oh no he has fun. Yes of course when you are 47 it´s time to be serious.

I´m 34 and can be happy as a child on christmas. Problems with that?

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

Woohoo! Lookin' good SC! Keep up the good work!

D.S. can eat a phat 1 image

-Chuckles
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Charlie.Cheswick

Good work? look at the animations of the avatar, terrible...

Those frame rates :D demo I hear you scream,, well yes a demo is a demonstration of what is possible, but with those frames you need to do a bit more demoing before demoing, its no good releasing something as clunky to the masses at a major event for gaming.

There are so many texture/lighting/particle effects going on its dragging its ass to a crawl almost. At least the shadows look solid and not that deffered rubbish. Its a shame they did not optimize that small snip bit of play or did they? :O

Either way I think it looked kind of rushed out the door for the viewers due to recent discussions about RSI. Of course the idea and look is fantastic but please show that its possible with frame rates that will be needed in an online shooting game.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Those frame rates :D demo I hear you scream,, well yes a demo is a demonstration of what is possible, but with those frames you need to do a bit more demoing before demoing, its no good releasing something as clunky to the masses at a major event for gaming.

There are so many texture/lighting/particle effects going on its dragging its ass to a crawl almost. At least the shadows look solid and not that deffered rubbish. Its a shame they did not optimize that small snip bit of play or did they? :O

Either way I think it looked kind of rushed out the door for the viewers due to recent discussions about RSI. Of course the idea and look is fantastic but please show that its possible with frame rates that will be needed in an online shooting game.

Why do I get feeling that even if they had fixed all that before the showing. You'd still complain about something.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Hey I am sceptical to, but I have to give credit where credit is due. This was EXACLTY what they needed to do, and what I myself have been calling for the last few weeks.

Mind you they have NOT done what Mr. Smart said could not be done. They are cheating like hell, but that really doesn't matter, as the cheating WORKS for them. They are not hosting the whole world in one client scene, they are switching scenes like mad, but it creates the illusion of the solution Mr. Smart said was impossible.

Call it cheating, call it illusion. Does not matter really as long as it works, though. (And cutting them a bit of slag for fact it is an early tech demo, it really does seem to work very well.)

INN has a nice crowd picture from Cologne :-)

http://imperialnews.network/2015/08/gamescom-2015-liveblog/

GO PACK...errm... BACKERS !! ;-)

Later in the Blog notice the picture with the guy with the "Operation Pitchfork" flag !!

All the interesting Powerpoint pictures from GamesCom SC presentation can be looked at in detail in the INN blog.

Have fun

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by hfztt

Hey I am sceptical to, but I have to give credit where credit is due. This was EXACLTY what they needed to do, and what I myself have been calling for the last few weeks.

Mind you they have NOT done what Mr. Smart said could not be done. They are cheating like hell, but that really doesn't matter, as the cheating WORKS for them. They are not hosting the whole world in one client scene, they are switching scenes like mad, but it creates the illusion of the solution Mr. Smart said was impossible.

Call it cheating, call it illusion. Does not matter really as long as it works, though. (And cutting them a bit of slag for fact it is an early tech demo, it really does seem to work very well.)

uhm no, that's rubbish.

The issue here is exactly what I said in the blog I wrote yesterday. It's more smoke and mirrors to get money from the gullible masses. Only this time, according to the financial metrics we ran this morning, this is their worst funding period based on event reveals - ever.

So yes, people are listening, they're worried, and they're fed-up.

There is no "game" here. There never will be. And here's why as well as the cost analysis and feature comparison.

In my very first Interstellar Citizens blog, I said that it would take in excess of $150m to make the new game they pitched, assuming they can get past the technical hurdle. They haven't gone past it (no, 64-bit addressing is not it, it's rudimentary to us vets) and it is unlikely that they ever will. At least not before running out of money.

As to what I said was impossible. It still is and there is no getting around that. Fanboy White Knights can gnash their teeth all they want, it's not going to change that.

There is nothing innovative in this game now. In fact, it's embarrassing to watch yesterday whereby they were touting multi-crew ships which most games (heck even Star Wars Galaxies did that already), including mine, have had for years.

Again, they should have stuck with the original vision, and built that. He made a bad call. Now all the resources which could have been spent building a "game", is still going into build "tech" which was actually adequate for the original game vision, but not what they're doing now.

If they survive 2016, it will be a miracle of biblical proportions. And some brave souls are already asking if there is still money to finish it, some in the media are already getting understandably cagey etc. 

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by dsmart

uhm no, that's rubbish.

The issue here is exactly what I said in the blog I wrote yesterday. It's more smoke and mirrors to get money from the gullible masses. Only this time, according to the financial metrics we ran this morning, this is their worst funding period based on event reveals - ever.

There is no "game" here. There never will be. And here's why as well as the cost analysis and feature comparison.

In my very first Interstellar Citizens blog, I said that it would take in excess of $150m to make the new game they pitched, assuming they can get past the technical hurdle. They haven't gone past it (no, 64-bit addressing is not it, it's rudimentary to us vets) and it is unlikely that they ever will. At least not before running out of money.

As to what I said was impossible. It still is and there is no getting around that. Fanboy White Knights can gnash their teeth all they want, it's not going to change that.

There is nothing innovative in this game now. In fact, it's embarrassing to watch yesterday whereby they were touting multi-crew ships which most games (heck even Star Wars Galaxies did that already), including mine, have had for years.

Again, they should have stuck with the original vision, and built that. He made a bad call. Now all the resources which could have been spent building a "game", is still going into build "tech" which was actually adequate for the original game vision, but not what they're doing now.

If they survive 2016, it will be a miracle of biblical proportions. And some brave souls are already asking if there is still money to finish it, some in the media are already getting understandably cagey etc. 

Yeah keep talking big...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/266620/discussions/0/535152511368945389/

Comparing SWG or any other game that had multicrew experience to SC is... well technically stupid. Only people with no clue about game dev or programming believe your bullshit.

And Kotaku is Kotaku... we know it´s reputation but nevertheless... you describe this article as something it isn´t.

I know you want backup in the press... but fewer and fewer people will support you in the future if you keep trolling and playing your game (which is pretty weak for insiders).

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127

I also notice that, at least in what we saw here, there is no fps fighting. This tells me it was all done in the Flight Engine alone and not with the fps part, but I could of course be very wrong about that.

The entire engine is always in FPS mode. He even said during the presentation (or maybe it was a 10FTC) that there is no transition to a different gameplay engine when you go into FPS combat. 

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Watched the video, looked very cool actually. Lighting effects look very nice.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Animations being sloppy looks like a netcode prediction issue, which they've been quite frank about and have clearly stated as being an ongoing polish issue related to the Star Marine module. Game is in alpha and is, at the very least, a year away. I wouldn't expect it before 2017, personally.

Pretty impressive given what's going on - with multiple players subject to local physics and gravity seamlessly entering open space with a global physics layer.

Looks like a dream of emergent gameplay possibilities.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I hope the best for this game, I am one of those skeptics but if this game materializes, this will be the game that will change  Syfy gaming industry forever

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

It already has.

In the German speaking gaming press GamesCom2015 is being described as Sci Fi Con.  Sci Fi being the 2015 characteristic gaming trend.

Elex, Anno 2205, The Surge, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Battleborn, Overwatch, Fallout 4, Mad Max, Bedlam, Stellaris, Endless Space 2, Master of Orion, Star Fox Zero, Everspace, Descent and more.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    It already has.

In the German speaking gaming press GamesCom2015 is being described as Sci Fi Con.  Sci Fi being the 2015 characteristic gaming trend.

Elex, Anno 2205, The Surge, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Battleborn, Overwatch, Fallout 4, Mad Max, Bedlam, Stellaris, Endless Space 2, Master of Orion, Star Fox Zero, Everspace, Descent and more.

Have fun
    And you credit that to SC? That is probably taking the mouth a bit full. SciFi games have always had a large market.
    hfztt said:
    And you credit that to SC? That is probably taking the mouth a bit full. SciFi games have always had a large market.
    Sci Fi games, especially the space sim games, have been a niche market with abysmal sales figures (compared to what publishers expect) for the last 15 years. Even the highly acclaimed games did not sell well (as in: less than 1 million copies).

The press concurred e.g.   http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/oped/the-day-the-space-sim-died/

Only in recent years, with the advent of Kickstarter and two heavy weights (E:D and SC) entering the ring, the whole genre got a much needed boost. And people dared to start their own Sci Fi projects again.

Have fun

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    dsmart said:

uhm no, that's rubbish.

I love how you still carry on. First you say it's impossible, then you say that there's nothing innovative and it's what you've been doing for years. Oh, and I'm really sorry, but you have NOT been doing this sort of thing for years. Doing something for years implies that you are somewhat good at something. We could look at a car today and say "I don't know what the big deal is, we've been doing cars since the late 1800s". That's, basically, where you are. In my opinion, SC has shown to be in a better state that your own game at this very moment, and your game has been in development longer. It's not even in Alpha and they can carry on a 20+ minute demo without it crashing. In your world that's a technological marvel!!!! That's the truth and you know it! You can continue on, but the reality of the situation is that unless you step down from QOL and 3000AD and let someone with some idea of how to deliver quality products take over, then both companies are doomed. You talk an awful lot about other companies considering you've never lived up to the standard of quality that I would expect from a high school student working on their first game project. 

As far as the lie that is SC, I would ask you, quite seriously, why carry on the charade? They already had their boon. So why not just pack it in? Oh! Wait! Oh yeah, that's because they have 3 offices and like 300 people with families that they have to feed. You do realize that these people are paid each month, right? If nothing else, all you're doing is taking food out of the mouths of the children of those 300 families. Why do you hate children Derek? Why do you want to see children die? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Let's see if they solved the precision problems with the CryEngine and the localized physics volumes. I still don't believe they can pull off a person walking in a ship that is actually moving and piloted by another player in real time. If they do i would be really impressed.

Looking forward to this.

Kind of like patting your head, rubbing your tummy and chewing gum at the same time eh  ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    CrazKanuk said:
    dsmart said:

uhm no, that's rubbish.

I love how you still carry on. First you say it's impossible, then you say that there's nothing innovative and it's what you've been doing for years. Oh, and I'm really sorry, but you have NOT been doing this sort of thing for years. Doing something for years implies that you are somewhat good at something. We could look at a car today and say "I don't know what the big deal is, we've been doing cars since the late 1800s". That's, basically, where you are. In my opinion, SC has shown to be in a better state that your own game at this very moment, and your game has been in development longer. It's not even in Alpha and they can carry on a 20+ minute demo without it crashing. In your world that's a technological marvel!!!! That's the truth and you know it! You can continue on, but the reality of the situation is that unless you step down from QOL and 3000AD and let someone with some idea of how to deliver quality products take over, then both companies are doomed. You talk an awful lot about other companies considering you've never lived up to the standard of quality that I would expect from a high school student working on their first game project. 

As far as the lie that is SC, I would ask you, quite seriously, why carry on the charade? They already had their boon. So why not just pack it in? Oh! Wait! Oh yeah, that's because they have 3 offices and like 300 people with families that they have to feed. You do realize that these people are paid each month, right? If nothing else, all you're doing is taking food out of the mouths of the children of those 300 families. Why do you hate children Derek? Why do you want to see children die? 
    Based on my experience with human psychology and people in pain, there's a very human reason to "keep at it" once you've chosen a self-destructive path of denial.

The reason is to keep yourself from realising how much time and effort you've spent trying to ignore your own failure and imagine yourself as something you're not.

Quite a painful revelation, even though the truth is that we're all extremely flawed and shouldn't need to be in denial about it.

Still, the longer you wait to be honest with yourself - the higher the risk that you'll turn outright insane.

I guess we can't know if that line has already been crossed in this case.
    GamesCom Freefly Code, if anyone wants one:   
    GAMESCOM2015

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/gamescomflyfree2015

Have fun