Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert is Incredible!

NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

If you are like me and can barely wait to get your hands on Black Desert, here is a nice video which features an introductory of the korean open beta, curtosy of RageGamingVideos:

Enjoy :)

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Thanks for sharing!

That auto-run/pathing reminds me of Jade Dynasty, though it looks better executed. (Or at least I hope so, since on JD you got stuck all the time when using the feature image)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

very interested in this

• HellwarlordHellwarlord Member UncommonPosts: 14

dont be too hyped kids and better watch this if you cant test game by yourself atm

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    This game is a total solo kill 10 mobs at a time over and over again,don't fall for the hype ......again.....I know it's a waste of breath (typing) saying this but meh

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Hellwarlord

dont be too hyped kids and better watch this if you cant test game by yourself atm 

What makes meme laugh about this is it's another western review. Fact is it's an Asian mmo that was made for an Asian market. If it never releases in the West meaning US then who cares. The devs has a vast mmo player base in Asia and Russian to pull. They really don't need NA or Europe for that matter.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

You might want to actually read up on some of the actual reviews from US & European gamers.  The reviews the game is getting are less then stellar, far cry from incredible....

As far as the game being made for and marketed toward Asia & Russia, this is true.  But if you want to sell the game and have it be popular in the US and Europe.  As a company they need to realize that things will have to change drastically before it's ported over here.  If they are not willing to make drastic changes, making the game more acceptable for western audiences, they are better off saving their money and keeping it in Asia.

No, "westernizing" a game does not mean just localizing the language and changing the cash shop around a little either...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, it looks incredible but from what I heard so far can't the same be said about actually playing it...

Then again, havn't had the chance to try it myself yet.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by ragz45

You might want to actually read up on some of the actual reviews from US & European gamers.  The reviews the game is getting are less then stellar, far cry from incredible....

As far as the game being made for and marketed toward Asia & Russia, this is true.  But if you want to sell the game and have it be popular in the US and Europe.  As a company they need to realize that things will have to change drastically before it's ported over here.  If they are not willing to make drastic changes, making the game more acceptable for western audiences, they are better off saving their money and keeping it in Asia.

No, "westernizing" a game does not mean just localizing the language and changing the cash shop around a little either...

What exactly is this "westernizing" nonsense?  All they need to do is translate the language to English and you either play their games or you don't.   It's not like we have a bevy of "western" companies developing MMORPGs in the US and Europe now days.  Truth be told, they don't need our money.  There are many Asian games that are not being ported over here as it is because of these asinine "western" demands, and the one's that do eventually make it over here are getting here 3-5 years after being released in Asia.  These so-called "western" gamers you are referring to better get off that high horse they're riding on, or stay on them and just not play these Asian games.  There are plenty of us who have no problem with Asian games and don't mind playing them exactly as they are designed and released in Asia.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Its a grinding game. You grind mobs non stop without quests from 50-60 (its the most cost effective way of leveling and making money) and get higher and higer gear to pvp with. Thats it. 
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I'd be happy to see fewer games releasing, so the less ports, the better. I'm tired of playing the new game of the quarter or even of the year. I hope the industry pares down to fewer games that are high quality and deliver good updates and expansions. I've stopped myself in recentyears from buying the next best thing and investing in games that innovate even if they won't go big, even if they die before they get to market. We've been hearing about black desert for years and I'm just not that interested anymore. Imagine if we weren't all chasing the new game and we were all invested monetarily and as players in that one good game that came out a few years ago.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Looks cool, I'm just worried about the bots and hacks AA style since it's a Korean MMO.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Hellwarlord

Some things he said were non-issues but not having dungeons is disappointing. or a lot of world bosses. Not having challenge is a bit disappointing.

He did say there was a lot of pvp so that works but he then says it's broken. I'll have to actually hear as to the "why".

Still listening and he keeps going on about "end game". Obviously saying "there is no end game".

That is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Not having challenge or group pve activities IS a concern.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

This game is ridiculously epic.  Revolutionary in so many ways.  It is heads and shoulders above anything out in the market right now.  Anyone saying otherwise is just pushing a personal agenda.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

What exactly is this "westernizing" nonsense?  All they need to do is translate the language to English and you either play their games or you don't.   It's not like we have a bevy of "western" companies developing MMORPGs in the US and Europe now days.  Truth be told, they don't need our money.  There are many Asian games that are not being ported over here as it is because of these asinine "western" demands, and the one's that do eventually make it over here are getting here 3-5 years after being released in Asia.  These so-called "western" gamers you are referring to better get off that high horse they're riding on, or stay on them and just not play these Asian games.  There are plenty of us who have no problem with Asian games and don't mind playing them exactly as they are designed and released in Asia.

If it was "nonsense" it would not take them 3-5 years to release here now would it? 

Kind of ridiculous to spout nonsense when you put the truth in your own post:P If it was just localize the games we would get these games at same time or shortly after they launch.  But it is not just that...it takes game changes,  and lots of them sometimes, to be released here in "West"  Just a fact. 

The markets are vastly different. How the people in those markets play, and pay for those same   games is vastly different in the majority of them as well.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Black Desert just looks amazing.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

This game is ridiculously epic.  Revolutionary in so many ways.  It is heads and shoulders above anything out in the market right now.  Anyone saying otherwise is just pushing a personal agenda.

Complete hyperbole. The game is good and fun but its not revolutionary. 

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I used to be somewhat excited for BD, but I am admittedly a graphics whore so I just couldn't help myself, lol.

Then I read that after level 50 (I believe) the game degenerates into "open-world" PvP, which imho is the most ridiculous excuse for PvP in existence, and my excitement meter bottomed out and melted away.  Lol.

The more info I see about BD, the more I think it's going to become another PvP crap game with very little, if any, PvE content at max level.  Next, please!

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Group play, group play, group play. That's all i care about. How does it feel playing with others in the PVE environment? How do the classes interact with each other? You know, the important aspects of an MMO. I could give two shits about how it feels to solo a mob down over and over or how zerg PVP feels.

Yes it looks great but every single damn Korean MMO looks great. Is there any context or content to the visuals or is it yet another shallow, solo centric, PVP focused Korean MMO that players will abandon after a few months?

I guess all the folks that follow the hype and state *how awesome this game is* havent actually played it for several months neither in Korea nor in Japan.

Even in Korea this game has failed already(and only tomorrow is full game release and end of OBT).

Moreover, if you read several patch notes, you will notice that they do not work on core game features but keep adding costumes, trousers, sexy outfits, dog pets and kitties; rofl.

Originally posted by DarLorkar

If it was "nonsense" it would not take them 3-5 years to release here now would it? 

Kind of ridiculous to spout nonsense when you put the truth in your own post:P If it was just localize the games we would get these games at same time or shortly after they launch.  But it is not just that...it takes game changes,  and lots of them sometimes, to be released here in "West"  Just a fact. 

The markets are vastly different. How the people in those markets play, and pay for those same   games is vastly different in the majority of them as well.

Is there an echo in this thread?

I am fully aware that the truth is in my own post, which is why I wrote it in the first place.  The question is, if the truth is already in my own post, how ridiculously nonsensical are you to repeat it?   

Like I said, the reason Asian games are taking 3-5 years before they are finally released here is because the asinine effort to "westernize" these games creates a lengthy and time consuming process to account for  ... game changes,  and lots of them sometimes, to be released here in "West"  Just a fact.

... and no the markets are not, as a matter of fact, vastly different.  They are only obviously different in language and culture and if you knew anything about game development, it doesn't take 3-5 years to change that in a game.  The majority of these game's delays are due to the asinine demands in game play made by people like you.  There are many of us who currently play Asian designed games in exactly the same manner that they are released in Asia as we speak, and many more who aren't but would like wise do so given the opportunity. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    The graphics are outstanding for an MMO.  I've heard disturbing reports that they removed almost all the sandbox elements that the game previously had and have zero challenge PvE.  I'm cool with PvE focused if you can avoid being told what to do (required questing) and combat requires tactics other than mash a few DPS abilities to kill 30 mobs at once. I hope I've heard wrong.  I was really excited about the game prior to these reports over the past 9 months or so.

If you think that ArcheAge was crap then now if we compare those 2 games ArcheAge looks much better game with tons of content(both group and solo)

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Looks cool, I'm just worried about the bots and hacks AA style since it's a Korean MMO.

IKR, bots and hacks in an MMO how unusual.  At least no one has ever come up with a system to sell gold from within the game for real money on nefarious web sites that also sell accounts and services against EULA.

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162

Black Desert, just like every other Korean MMO, is very grind intensive. Sure it is open world, sure it has plenty of stuff that you can do. But the problem is, not all of them are worth doing. Now, most people playing a MMO would like to stay competitive in terms of character progression and development. To do that one usually has to find the most efficient way of making in game money, which is the fuel of character progression. Black Desert is no exception in this, if you want to stay relevant in the open world PvE/PvP, you have to join everyone else in the most efficient ways of grinding, which naturally limits the gameplay experience you have. In other words, the player community streamlines the game into a linear progression with things like "at level ** you grind ** at place **".

Of course one might argue that we can always steer clear of this linear progression by doing stuff that we want, after all it is an open world game and we are beings of free will. Sure, I'm not saying that you can't, but that consequences are often that you fall behind in your character progression by a significant margin so much so that you are hardly relevant in any competitive gameplay experience, both PvE and PvP wise.

That being said, Black Desert does present itself as a MMO that stands out from the crowd. There are several game features that are unique and refreshing. The node system, the contribution system, the breeding system, and the intimacy system for instance.

Pros
    • Awesome graphics
    • Complete open world
    • Plenty of things one can do
    • Unique game features
    • Decent class system with no old school "holy trinity" of classes
    • Action packed combat system that is more than just pressing the hotkeys
    Cons
    • Linear progression
    • Plenty of things to do, but not everything is worth doing
    • Exponentially increasing grindiness
    • Lack of end game content
    • Complete absence of instances/dungeons may be a turn off for some players
    • Has the potential to be P2W if the publishers in the Western markets so desire
    • Learning curve may be too steep for some due to its unique features
    • Very RNG based, hardwork does not always pay off
    • Performance optimization has room for improvements
    If you ask me to describe Black Desert to you, I'd say it is a game that has a mix of Vindictus, ArcheAge, with just a pinch of The Sims.
    Originally posted by austriacus

Complete hyperbole. The game is good and fun but its not revolutionary. 

Does the game offer features that are new or innovative, and outside of established procedure game play? If so then it is revolutionary.  And that is clearly the case as evidenced by the new and innovative features mentioned in the OPs video alone.  And the video only mentioned a few.  Might want to learn the meaning of the word revolutionary before posting next time.