Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If all is true you WILL have a gold mine

To developers if what you promise is true, You will have a Gold Mine. You WILL make millions !

Please let me explain beyond the believers expectation, even if you already believe this is true :

Here on mmorpg.com, our forums are made up of posters of various play styles, likes and dislikes.  We argue all day long about theme park and sandbox, full loot PvP and no PvP at all.  Free to play cash shops, and Monthly subscriptions only.....All we do is argue.  It's came to the point that any Original Post WILL get bashed.  Then you get the goody-two-shoes types that say "everything is fine, there are no problems".  They get bashed too ! 

WELL, IT'S ALL TALK !!

I 100% believe if we have one, just one true old fashion MMO, with a true world for players to live in, with player freedom and countless content to explore that has an equal across the board Subscription fee of what ever price ( $14.95, $19.95 or what ever )...........EVERYONE WILL PLAY !.......I'm talking about EVERYONE !......You will have the dead set against group, however because of the popularity they will come around absolutely.

I 100% believe you will have very close to everyone.  I'm now saying close, because the absolute free players will have to sit on the side lines. They don't really count.  So yes, I'm back to saying EVERYONE !

Now this is a tall order in what I'm describing :

It almost sounds ridiculous.........But in order for this to happen a game like Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will have to hold up there end of the bargain.  This will have to be a very Expensive game.  Something never attempted before as far as budget. A chance taken in video game history that has never been done before ! 

Something beyond their own marketing hype.

If not, the developer will fall flat on there face, the game will crumble and be another laughing stock, that will never be trusted such as ArcheAge, possibly worst.........Marketing will take another nose dive in trust.  And posters will simply go back to talking smack on this sites open forums.

The makers of Pantheon had set the ball rolling, with many tall statements. There's no turning back.  You have to go all the way. You set it up to be at the point of no return, so lets hope you deliver.

Comments

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    SW:TOR, LotRO, Warhammer Online, AoC, SWG, FFXIV (version 1.0), ESO all established licenses failed in subscription model and have gone f2p or just flat out gone.  You think a new IP even dare go P2P after seeing what happened to Wildstar and ESO last year?  Those two titles ran out of gas before they even left the gate.  They got dropped faster than any MMO I've seen come out as triple A titles, they didn't even make it to the three month mark before a majority of their audience fell off.  
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    SW:TOR, LotRO, Warhammer Online, AoC, SWG, FFXIV (version 1.0), ESO all established licenses failed in subscription model and have gone f2p or just flat out gone.  You think a new IP even dare go P2P after seeing what happened to Wildstar and ESO last year?  Those two titles ran out of gas before they even left the gate.  They got dropped faster than any MMO I've seen come out as triple A titles, they didn't even make it to the three month mark before a majority of their audience fell off.  

The games you described sucked, or were too early on to be spectacular !!!......And F2P will always fail given a few months, period !

Your describing the boring arguing type of post I mentioned in my post.......We argue.....Now we need meat and potato's !

I'll not argue just to argue.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

You can't have 'EVERYONE' as you say playing it for the reason 90% of the player base will scream,whine,bitch that it is too hard.End of story really and you picked the wrong game as the 'one'.the graphics and combat look too bad on pantheon.Yes I agree it could be good and graphics aren't the be all,for me gameplay is no 1.

This imop has more potential https://www.revivalgame.com/philosophy/mission_statement

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

EVERY game has run out of gas,remember that super hyped game called AION?The ONLY tiem you will hear about it in subscription games because they have numbers to lose while f2p is a cop out,they have no legit numbers so they can say anything.BTW FFXIV is still a sub game.

Every game that has failed deserve to fail,they were rubbish games,it had nothing at all to do with subscription.

The way developers are trying to scam gamer's right now is a big time joke and tons are falling for it.The ONLY reason we see subs  is usually because the developer figures it will grab as much from it as it can and just go f2p which was the original plan anyhow.Then instead of being flamed for releasing unfinished work and asking money,now devs call their crap games early access or Alpha/Beta,the funny part is they are still charging box price to enter these grossly unfinished games.

You know what the developers saw?A sucker born every minute and they are cashing in on them.

Bottom line is you want QUALITY,quit giving free money for all these crap unfinished games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

EVERY game has run out of gas,remember that super hyped game called AION?The ONLY tiem you will hear about it in subscription games because they have numbers to lose while f2p is a cop out,they have no legit numbers so they can say anything.BTW FFXIV is still a sub game.

Every game that has failed deserve to fail,they were rubbish games,it had nothing at all to do with subscription.

The way developers are trying to scam gamer's right now is a big time joke and tons are falling for it.The ONLY reason we see subs  is usually because the developer figures it will grab as much from it as it can and just go f2p which was the original plan anyhow.Then instead of being flamed for releasing unfinished work and asking money,now devs call their crap games early access or Alpha/Beta,the funny part is they are still charging box price to enter these grossly unfinished games.

You know what the developers saw?A sucker born every minute and they are cashing in on them.

Bottom line is you want QUALITY,quit giving free money for all these crap unfinished games.

Wizardry,

This is a good strong post, thank you very much for nailing the crap that is going on :)

We need an extremely strong mmo.......It's been too long, Pantheon or not we still need one.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

The reason every game is failing is simple:

• They all promise to be differend.
    • They never look differend.
    • We are always told "that is just due to early alpha / beta!".
    • They always release in a state of crap and copy pasta of past fails.

What is differend with Pantheon? I don't know. The most important point is Nr 4 obviously. And noone can tell before that point.

But i can damn well say: This is the first game since EQ1 that made Nr 1 and 2 look "checked". It promises to be differend and it sure looks differend UP TO NOW. Will it deliver? I have no idea. But it is the very first game in 15+ years that is on the right track. So that is a plus in my book.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

Originally posted by Rattenmann

The reason every game is failing is simple:

• They all promise to be differend.
    • They never look differend.
    • We are always told "that is just due to early alpha / beta!".
    • They always release in a state of crap and copy pasta of past fails.

What is differend with Pantheon? I don't know. The most important point is Nr 4 obviously. And noone can tell before that point.

But i can damn well say: This is the first game since EQ1 that made Nr 1 and 2 look "checked". It promises to be differend and it sure looks differend UP TO NOW. Will it deliver? I have no idea. But it is the very first game in 15+ years that is on the right track. So that is a plus in my book.

Nice !

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I know all this, I'm pointing out all big name IPs and I was talking about FFXIV (version 1.0) the oNe that was taken offline and reborn at a later time.  Sub models only work for the fanboys and this is a new IP with no history or following and a Kickstarter.  Remember FireFall?  Exactly...

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Pantheon will not attract everyone. Not in a million years. Even if a wise investor comes along with an understanding and appreciation for the game, and invests big bucks, it will still not appeal to everyone.

Why? Most people don't want a game with a learning curve. They don't want a game where you're dependent on other players, progress takes a lot of time, or one that punishes you if you fail. Frankly, they don't want a virtual world, they just want a video game to kill a few hours here and there. That is why MOBAs are doing so well, and all other games are attempting to incorporate that design philosophy.

Permitted Pantheon's Alpha does make a good impression, winning them funding, the most important thing for them to do to be successful is 1) stand by their principles (always, including after launch and 10 years from now), and 2) create a polished product. That mean it must NOT be released until it has enough content and polish to succeed. MMOs do NOT survive poor launches.

I say this as a huge fan of the game, hoping they manage to get enough money and people on board to bring the vision to life. I also say this believing the game could be much more popular than anyone cares to believe, but that is 100% contingent upon whether they can deliver the game as advertised, well optimized, and with an appropriate amount of content. However, even then it will still not appeal to the majority of gamers, or even the majority of MMO players. Like I said, most people simply don't want a virtual world.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by delete5230

It almost sounds ridiculous.........But in order for this to happen a game like Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen will have to hold up there end of the bargain.  This will have to be a very Expensive game.  Something never attempted before as far as budget. A chance taken in video game history that has never been done before ! 

Where exactly do you see them getting the tens/hundreds of millions it takes to make an expensive game? The kickstarter campaign raised like... half a million dollars if remember right, that's a very small drop in the bucket. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by reeereee

Where exactly do you see them getting the tens/hundreds of millions it takes to make an expensive game? The kickstarter campaign raised like... half a million dollars if remember right, that's a very small drop in the bucket. 

Actually, the kickstarter campaign raised $0. It did however provide some advertisement, which led people to donate directly to the game via their development site.

In the current industry climate, it seems beyond likelihood that Pantheon will ever find investment money of the suggested magnitude. Thankfully, MMOs actually require a fraction of what recent AAA MMOs have spent, so even modest funding would suffice.

Originally posted by Dullahan

Pantheon will not attract everyone. Not in a million years. Even if a wise investor comes along with an understanding and appreciation for the game, and invests big bucks, it will still not appeal to everyone.

Why? Most people don't want a game with a learning curve. They don't want a game where you're dependent on other players, progress takes a lot of time, or one that punishes you if you fail. Frankly, they don't want a virtual world, they just want a video game to kill a few hours here and there. That is why MOBAs are doing so well, and all other games are attempting to incorporate that design philosophy.

Permitted Pantheon's Alpha does make a good impression, winning them funding, the most important thing for them to do to be successful is 1) stand by their principles (always, including after launch and 10 years from now), and 2) create a polished product. That mean it must NOT be released until it has enough content and polish to succeed. MMOs do NOT survive poor launches.

I say this as a huge fan of the game, hoping they manage to get enough money and people on board to bring the vision to life. I also say this believing the game could be much more popular than anyone cares to believe, but that is 100% contingent upon whether they can deliver the game as advertised, well optimized, and with an appropriate amount of content. However, even then it will still not appeal to the majority of gamers, or even the majority of MMO players. Like I said, most people simply don't want a virtual world.

I see your point, I understand from reading post here where you would think that. ( I say this with respect ).

I'm a believer that are our perceptions are made up :

Large learning curve....I think is welcome, just as long as it's not ridicules.

Dependent on players...Yes and No, but early mmos were designed with enough content for everyone and in between.

Virtual worlds......Absolutely, developers JUST DON'T give us one because garbage games are small.

Easy.....this is crap developers hand us to level fast to hide less content. Think of this.  If your level 24 for a week, could you imagine the content that would be needed ?....fast and easy = less of a game. It's a lie !

A large focus of my OP was about players and the ones that eventually come around. Popular brings more, making it even more popular. World of Warcraft was/is popular. Others like to see what the fuss is all about :)

Blizzard, re-invested.

SOE, just took.

Originally posted by reeereee

Then the game will fail......It will flop on its face and be a laughing stock and we all go back to the forums and talk smack.

It's a tall order they are calling !!!!!

This morning after a cup of coffee and letting a few responses soak in to my brain, I'm beginning to feel worried and highly concerned about this Vision. 

It's a vision many of use would like to see happen. I used the word " many " instead of  " all "  because after release of a perfect mmo, all would come around making it the mmo of all mmo's. 

Here is where the highly concerned part comes in :

I assumed developers of Pantheon had a rich backing to support the funding.  Like a Donald Trump type backing, not a hopeful Kickstarter......I assumed, and you know where assuming gets you !

I'll admit I don't know much about Kickstarters and the success rate, but as a novice to the subject it doesn't sound promising. I was purely going from features plastered everywhere, and that's just Marketing.

Marketing is cheap and shallow in video games, it's always been and worse than ever now.  My information came from some hype here on this site, the list of features on this site, and Developers web site....This alone is what got me excited. They all say yes to every dream an mmo player would want.

So it's basically just a great sounding list with an extravagant well made web site " Now, give us lots of money and will try ".  

Please help me understand more.....I'm now a little on the defense because I assumed the money was their.  I forgot about the fine print and hidden disclaimers.  

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

I think OP is bipolar.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

Originally posted by Caldicot

I think OP is bipolar.

You picked up on that because I am....Good catch :)

But you forgot " the ".....It should be " I think the OP is bipolar ".

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264

This morning after a cup of coffee and letting a few responses soak in to my brain, I'm beginning to feel worried and highly concerned about this Vision. 

It's a vision many of use would like to see happen. I used the word " many " instead of  " all "  because after release of a perfect mmo, all would come around making it the mmo of all mmo's. 

Here is where the highly concerned part comes in :

I assumed developers of Pantheon had a rich backing to support the funding.  Like a Donald Trump type backing, not a hopeful Kickstarter......I assumed, and you know where assuming gets you !

I'll admit I don't know much about Kickstarters and the success rate, but as a novice to the subject it doesn't sound promising. I was purely going from features plastered everywhere, and that's just Marketing.

Marketing is cheap and shallow in video games, it's always been and worse than ever now.  My information came from some hype here on this site, the list of features on this site, and Developers web site....This alone is what got me excited. They all say yes to every dream an mmo player would want.

So it's basically just a great sounding list with an extravagant well made web site " Now, give us lots of money and will try ".  

Please help me understand more.....I'm now a little on the defense because I assumed the money was their.  I forgot about the fine print and hidden disclaimers.  

There are some important things to remember.  

First.  Brad McFail is behind it.  So what you say, he was behind EQ you say... Vanguard is all I should ever have to say.  This guy has vision, but it takes more than vision to produce a successful game.

Second.  You must remember that younger gamers are a product of the Varuca Salt syndrome.   They want what they want and they want it now!   WoW tapped into this and that is why it has been a huge success.  Younger gamers do not want to be challenged and have been raised to believe that they deserve things just because.  If they fail it's because someone else didn't make it easy enough for them.  Challenge is to be avoided, and working for a reward is pointless.  Basically the every kid gets a trophy because their feelings are fragile and they can't experience failure.

These are part of the modern gamers.  Another big chunk of the genre are older, have jobs, and can't afford to spend 40 hours a week playing games.  If the game is EQ like in the the time needed to invest it will alienate both types of gamers and it will fail no matter how well designed.  

Of course it has Brad McFail at the top so cost overruns, mismanagement, and delays should be expected.   He will ask for more money, promise Pluto, be lucky to get to Mercury before he charges for early access, refuses to listen to testers, changes publishers a couple times, releases the unfinished buggy game, sells out to Daybreak, fires 99% of his employees, and runs laughing all the way to the bank.  That's a lot of sarcasm but grounded in some truth.

all I'm saying is if history has taught us anything, don't fall for the insane hype of any game, especially those that promise or look ,like the next big thing.  Just wait and see.  It may be but then again, it might not be either.  Only time will tell.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

While FFXI has been a subscription game for 12 years and still running strong. Give players a RPG that has a real world with memorable characters and stories, that has substance plus regular updates/events and they will pay. It's that simple formula that has made FFXI one of the few successful sub based MMORPGs available.

The titles you mention got dropped because they had no substance other than an endless quest hub grind with repetitive end game raids. The world means nothing, the characters you meet mean nothing, the achievements you get mean nothing because everyone can get them blind folded with their hands tied behind their backs.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

The games you described sucked, or were too early on to be spectacular !!!......And F2P will always fail given a few months, period !

Your describing the boring arguing type of post I mentioned in my post.......We argue.....Now we need meat and potato's !

I'll not argue just to argue.

i doubt you actually played wildstar.

but welcome to mmos.

and seriously, all i see is an outfated tab target combat system.

sure, in 2004 it was good, that's how blizz made their success. incase you didn't get it, that system is MORE Than 20 years old now. time to work on something new.

those phones with the dial disc dissapeared too, and they rised like shiiiiit  in sales once they came out :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

A little off topic but :

I seem to have a soft spot for Brad.  It took guts to go full steam with Vanguard. The Vision was fantastic, now if they only used his vision but not his coding the game could have been the best.  EQ2 had by far bad coding. This style of coding should have been shot down from the Get-Go......How it ever slipped by Quality Control will never know. So what did Brad do ?...He used it again !!!!......I'll bet Vanguard could have made it's scheduled date as a full game if it were not for a mad rush to repair coding. Too much time spent.

Now if other designers had the power to say " Brad we love ya, tell us what you would like in the game and will do it, but shut up about coding "....Vanguard would have worked.

The time line Around Vanguard we had : 

- World of Warcraft

- EverQuest 2

- Lord of the Rings Online

- Vanguard

- Warhammer

Of all on this list, only EQ2 and Vanguard were un stable......Only problem was Brad had power to use a bad engine.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I have learned not to trust dev speech but I hope they can deliver at least half of what they are promising. This game can be really good.
    Originally posted by Siug
    I have learned not to trust dev speech but I hope they can deliver at least half of what they are promising. This game can be really good.

Summarized perfectly :)

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Stizzled

This thread just proves that some posters here are crazy enough to think that their interests are the interests of the MMO genre as a whole. The goody-two-shoes, as you call us, are the only sane people left on these boards. At least some of us realize that while our exact interests aren't being catered to it doesn't mean that the genre is in trouble, we don't think the MMO genre owes us anything.

No game, no matter its quality or feature set, is ever going to grab every MMO player out there. Thinking that it's possible and that the game to do so will be one that aligns with your personal interests is delusional.

Exactly - not even WoW vacuumed up all of the MMO players when it hit the scene. 

Pantheon is vaporware until it is released.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Why? Most people don't want a game with a learning curve. They don't want a game where you're dependent on other players, progress takes a lot of time, or one that punishes you if you fail. Frankly, they don't want a virtual world, they just want a video game to kill a few hours here and there.

I disagree.

Real MMO players wants virtual worlds.

What you are describing are the mass market players who are not necessarily too keen on MMOs, but they will play them if they are casual enough, hence the explosion of the MMO popularity.

Blizzard hit the jackpot by having a winning intuition, they were the first ones to tap in that huge unexplored market , and got all the benefits.

Because of Blizzard great intuition, all  MMO developers decided it was wise to copy/paste WoW in a way or another to appeal those mass market players ignoring the original MMO vision and its players.

The real MMOs died with WoW, when developers decided there was no more room for a PVE MMO, with a virtual world and strong social interaction.

But just because developers have been blind for 10 years that doesn't mean that the desire for a good "old School" MMO is dead.

In fact is as big as ever, but in order to revive it, we need a smart developer that decides to tap in that market the same way Blizzard tapped in the casual mass market, and made it its own.

I hope Pantheon is the one, but until I see some concrete evidence they are serious about it.

I am a fan of Brad MCQuaid, but I have to be honest, and so far the game looks vaporware.

Waiting for their first major update in September.

Originally posted by ste2000

Why? Most people don't want a game with a learning curve. They don't want a game where you're dependent on other players, progress takes a lot of time, or one that punishes you if you fail. Frankly, they don't want a virtual world, they just want a video game to kill a few hours here and there.

I disagree.

Real MMO players wants virtual worlds.

What you are describing are the mass market players who are not necessarily too keen on MMOs, but they will play them if they are casual enough, hence the explosion of the MMO popularity.

Blizzard hit the jackpot by having a winning intuition, they were the first ones to tap in that huge unexplored market , and got all the benefits.

Because of Blizzard great intuition, all  MMO developers decided it was wise to copy/paste WoW in a way or another to appeal those mass market players ignoring the original MMO vision and its players.

The real MMOs died with WoW, when developers decided there was no more room for a PVE MMO, with a virtual world and strong social interaction.

But just because developers have been blind for 10 years that doesn't mean that the desire for a good "old School" MMO is dead.

In fact is as big as ever, but in order to revive it, we need a smart developer that decides to tap in that market the same way Blizzard tapped in the casual mass market, and made it its own.

I hope Pantheon is the one, but until I see some concrete evidence they are serious about it.

I am a fan of Brad MCQuaid, but I have to be honest, and so far the game looks vaporware.

Waiting for their first major update in September.

WOW.....ste2000

Your definitely a better poster than I.......Beautiful wording :)

If ALL mmo players were to read Pantheon Rise of the Fallen web site or the feature list for the game on mmorpg.com web site......I'm 100% convinced everyone would at a minimum like the game if not LOVE IT !

Selective style players would happily jump on the ban wagon, getting 100% of the players. No one would have to "eat crow" and have to say they were wrong, because the game would be fun for all......But remember, they have a tall order to fill. So yes all we can do is wait and see.