Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Daybreak & DDOS - Reaction to Smed's Challenge on Twitter?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A day after the sentencing of a member of Lizard Squad and subsequent Twitter tirade by Daybreak Game Studio's John Smedley, it appears that all of DGS's titles and its website are under DDOS attack, with players unable to log into either.

The altercation between Smedley and remaining Lizard Squad members began after Julius Kivimaki, the now-convicted criminal of more than 50,000 counts of computer crimes, was sentenced yesterday. Smedley took to Twitter to express his strong feeling that the sentence meted out by the court in Finland was too light.

His parents need to be held accountable for his actions in addition to his going to jail. @what_security - So I'm coming for you Julius.

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) July 8, 2015

A Twitter user claiming to be a member of Lizard Squad announced the attacks were imminent. Within minutes, the predicted DDOS began.

At this time, all Daybreak games are down and the team is actively working on a solution.

What do you think? Was this a trap sprung by Smed or something else? Leave us your thoughts here or head to the existing MMORPG.com thread (thanks Zandil!)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

allow me to begin the replies with

lol

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Denambren

allow me to begin the replies with

lol

Good one. >.>

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    LOL, Smed. His mouth always gets him into trouble, one way or another. image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Rich manchild vs actual childs. FIGHT

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by SBFord

His parents need to be held accountable for his actions in addition to his going to jail. @what_security - So I'm coming for you Julius.

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) July 8, 2015

Their coming for you Smed. Their coming for you.

• MissAdventureMissAdventure Member UncommonPosts: 83
    He needs a handler.  Seriously.   
  • onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161
    *they're
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

My friend put it best:  "CEO Thug vs. internet troll kiddies.  This shit is fierce.  Popcorn time"

Smed is known for being a bit too mouthy on twitter.  He throws a tantrum, his customers suffer.  It is one thing to voice your opinion, but for God sake, don't anger the kiddies with too much time on their hands!

Hopefully things die down by tomorrow and his new "investor bosses" tell him to shut the hell up.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Screw that, keep baiting them until they screw up and get caught, I can live with out eq2 for a couple weeks. Shutting up and letting them win is nothing more than giving in to terrorists. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by MissAdventure

True but you'd have to be crazy to take that job.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by MissAdventure

True but you'd have to be crazy to take that job.

Crazier than being Smed and taking a dump on a fire ant hill...or in this case, getting into a pissing contest with hackers with a lot of time on their hands? image

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I don't know which side is less mature...
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Blueliner
    Screw that, keep baiting them until they screw up and get caught, I can live with out eq2 for a couple weeks. Shutting up and letting them win is nothing more than giving in to terrorists. 

The only difference is, they have to mess up to get caught so theres really no one to fight. That is only going to make the players suffer, and its so easy to do it again at any time regardless if they do manage to catch one of them.

If he wouldn't have opened his mouth, there wouldn't even be an issue. This is 100% Smedley's fault. He practically baited them to attack Daybreak servers.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Smed's full response:

"I normally don't weigh in on subjects relating to me personally, but I will this time.

I'm extremely angry that the Finnish justice system chose to let Julius Kivimaki off with a 2 year suspended sentence. This guy is the worst kind of bad news.

He's been involved for years in every kind of terrible thing you can imagine including Carding, hacking, swatting people all over the world. He's also participated in a major way in DDOS attacks that caused a lot of grief for gamers and a lot of economic damage to the companies that make and run games.

He was the guy that brought down my flight with a bomb threat. I've heard the entire recording where he convinced an airline customer service agent there was a bomb on the plane. He also in conjunction with others has sent me pictures of my father's grave with nasty stuff on it. I've had my entire credit history put out on the internet including my SSN and my families info. We've had multiple social networks and other things hacked and had my family members called.

I've also been swatted (multiple times) and had over 50 false credit applications submitted in my name and had to deal with the ramifications of what happens to your credit when this kind of thing happens. It's not good. And to top it all off they decided to submit false tax returns.

So to put this bluntly - I want this kind in jail for a long time. You shouldn't be able to do crap like this without any hint of a consequence. I plan on doing everything in my power to see him get what's coming to him in court one way or another. What he just got convicted of were over 50,000 separate incidents of hacking and other nastiness. This has nothing to do with the downing of the plane or the DDOS stuff he did or the things he did to me (not just me btw he did this to a lot of other people too). Those cases are still pending, but they have him dead to rights.

So you guys can debate this.. and that's all well and good, but meanwhile this shit is real to my life and my family's life and I'm sure as hell not lying down for it for a second. I've been working with law enforcement to put him and others into jail where they belong. Some of them are minors which makes it tough. Most of them are outside the US, which makes it tougher. But I'm patient and I'm going to be relentless about this.

Smed"

dont think we're going to hear the end of this any time soon. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Smed is an idiot. Almost makes me wish they keep their services down for a good long while.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    The guy may be an obvious idiot, yet it's still very disheartening and worrisome to know how easy it is for criminals to run rampant over the internet.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Smed needs to watch Ray Donovan, and then hire a guy like that...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Dear John Smedley,

Smack the little asshats in their tiny bunny balls with the biggest ban hammer you can find.

Sincerely,

Grunty

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BluelinerBlueliner Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I never liked Smed, but god damn, givem hell old man!
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

Maybe governments take it more serious than I think.  It doesn't seem to me they do.

I can only imagine the outrage if football games were shut down in the US or Europe by these groups.

I expect governments would make punishments more severe then.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I wish people would take cyber threats seriously.  Nobody deserves those kind of attacks, unless you're one evil SOB.  
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

I wonder will Smed be punished (legally, not by DDOS) for what he wrote, clearly trying to influence/interfere with justice system, not to mention publicly spoken insults (to a kid...) such as "peace of garbage", "little dirtbag", just to pick a few. (I know he won`t be, and I guess USA laws are quite flexible in that regard to what one can write publicly).

EDIT: Just found out this recent Smed`s little harmless rape joke.

W...aaagh?
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    i feel like smed is the ultimate troll and is part of lizard squad and is trying to run daybreak into the ground....what a clown
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I stand with Smed. These script kiddies need to go. They needlessly interfere with people's lives for no other reason than they can. That's right, folks. They have no agenda. They have no message. They do the cyber equivalent of stalking and terrorizing people for no other reason than their balls haven't dropped and they haven't discovered women's bodies. They are small, petty children who need to be slapped down. I will say this...if I had been convicted of 50k cyber crimes in America, I would either be in jail for the rest of my life or working against hackers for the government. I definitely would not have gotten a slap on the wrist and an "Oh you!" look from the judge. Give em hell, Smed. If we all sit back in silence, these script kiddies will just keep doing it. Stand up and say no more.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by JamesGoblin

I wonder will Smed be punished (legally, not by DDOS) for what he wrote, clearly trying to influence/interfere with justice system, not to mention publicly spoken insults (to a kid...) such as "peace of garbage", "little dirtbag", just to pick a few. (I know he won`t be, and I guess USA laws are quite flexible in that regard to what one can write publicly).

As much as I dislike Smedley, its disgusting to see you attempt to incriminate him for his remarks regarding a real criminal and sick person that has sought to destroy the livelihood of both him and so many others.

You should be ashamed of yourself.