Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All the News about Everquest Next

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It should say "in 2015" on it, we do have seen some news earlier like concept art and so on. But yeah, don't hold your breath until this game releases.

I do think Daybreak need to release it sooner or later though, the potential income is good and their current games wont be enough forever. Any company needs to make new games sooner or later.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Honestly, I just find the silence... stunning. (Yes, technical it's not total silence, since they speak about Landmark, but come on.)

I mean it is EVERQUEST. Aren't we supposed to hear *something* more? I really start to wonder/worry.

("News" I think implies "from 2015", since something from 2014 isn't really new anymore, innit? ^^)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Elikal

Honestly, I just find the silence... stunning. (Yes, technical it's not total silence, since they speak about Landmark, but come on.)

I mean it is EVERQUEST. Aren't we supposed to hear *something* more? I really start to wonder/worry.

("News" I think implies "from 2015", since something from 2014 isn't really new anymore, innit? ^^)

You and me both, to me it seems like they have a really small team working on it right now.

As for "news" it depends on how you define it. The latest new is from last year, that is true but it still is the latest news.

Let's hope they start giving us some updates soon and put more work on making the game. It is clear that Landmark is a rather poor substitute.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I have better things to do than worry about when it's coming out.  when it does, cool.  If it gets shitcanned?  oh well.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Loke666

I do think Daybreak need to release it sooner or later though, the potential income is good and their current games wont be enough forever. Any company needs to make new games sooner or later.

Planetside 2 for PS4 just released and it seems well liked from what I've read online (so players are spending $$), Everquest just got new time-locked servers (which means influx of subs), Everquest 2 is getting their first ever Time-locked servers soon too and H1Z1 is still popular despite being in early access (over a million sales and top 20 concurrent daily players on Steam).  DCUO is keeping interest with new content every ~3 months as well (it was their biggest money maker last year).

H1Z1 and Landmark will release before EQNext does too.

They did say things in the last Landmark Live. They are currently doing backend changes like support for DX11 and seamless map (which includes a lots of R&D like voxel data and enemies tracking). Doing engine changes tend to break stuff, a lot so everyone is probably impacted in the team. They are also overhauling the combat system and most probably doing changes to the classes and AI because of it.

They have the Workshop for EQNext races presentation (~a new race every 2 months) and more novellas for lore (confirmed by Terry quite recently).

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    it is a bit concerning when you hear less about the game than about star citizen lol.... but then again, they just finished a majority of the assets so far (not including items and races and armor i'd assume) but havent even implemented the core mechanics as the recent development letter states (and this is the meat and the bone)....my personal opinion is that they went public way too early, then again, their new owners will want to see results soon...they seem to believe in the project even when sony didnt anymore. But honestly, i doubt we will see a game release before end of 2016...
    Originally posted by azarhal

Planetside 2 for PS4 just released and it seems well liked from what I've read online (so players are spending $$), Everquest just got new time-locked servers (which means influx of subs), Everquest 2 is getting their first ever Time-locked servers soon too and H1Z1 is still popular despite being in early access (over a million sales and top 20 concurrent daily players on Steam).  DCUO is keeping interest with new content every ~3 months as well (it was their biggest money maker last year).

They did say things in the last Landmark Live. They are currently doing backend changes like support for DX11 and seamless map (which includes a lots of R&D like voxel data and enemies tracking). Doing engine changes tend to break stuff, a lot so everyone is probably impacted in the team. They are also overhauling the combat system and most probably doing changes to the classes and AI because of it.

They have the Workshop for EQNext races presentation (~a new race every 2 months) and more novellas for lore (confirmed by Terry quite recently).

new race? all ive seen is architecture

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    When the news came down that Story Brix or whatever it was called had split, I just went ahead and considered it canceled. If it comes out, neat. But I'm not holding my breath. They seem to have an influx of funds, though.
    yeah, i also didnt know how to take that story brix info - does it mean the system is cancelled (or the whole game) or does it mean they got what they needed....because as far as i understood it, this whole story brix mechanics was their whole "world mechanic"...
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by azarhal

For a game thats in early Alpha stages we have gotten lots of info. If you care there are hours and hours of videos. Sure lots has to do with concept art but almost always they chuck in a nugget here and there. Lore wise again lots of info. Been MMOing myself since EQ1 launch and normally you dont hear this much at this stage. Most MMOs dont start showing anything till you get to mid-closed Alpha and the real info somewhere at the end of alpha. Everyone knows the real info does not start till you are close to open beta. Acting like this is shocking is funny. Are you new? 

Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    yeah, i also didnt know how to take that story brix info - does it mean the system is cancelled (or the whole game) or does it mean they got what they needed....because as far as i understood it, this whole story brix mechanics was their whole "world mechanic"...

The Storybricks did AI and SoE hired them to work on EQN AI. Everything Storybricks helped them do was retained by DGC and now that SB was fired they have taken to finishing the AI in house. The lead programmer from SB left the company and many think thats why DGC dropped them. HE was the brain behind the inner workings. The only question remains, can DGC pull it off with out them? They say they are making the same game with the same goals. All lofty and way above the norm we see in MMOs today. All we can do is wait and see if they have the stones and skills to really pull this off. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

The Storybricks did AI and SoE hired them to work on EQN AI. Everything Storybricks helped them do was retained by DGC and now that SB was fired they have taken to finishing the AI in house. The lead programmer from SB left the company and many think thats why DGC dropped them. HE was the brain behind the inner workings. The only question remains, can DGC pull it off with out them? They say they are making the same game with the same goals. All lofty and way above the norm we see in MMOs today. All we can do is wait and see if they have the stones and skills to really pull this off. 

im just wondering - if other companies cant do it that dont have all the organizational changes and issues, what chance do they have?

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

im just wondering - if other companies cant do it that dont have all the organizational changes and issues, what chance do they have?

As far as we know, no one has tried to pull off this type of AI before. So as good as any really. They still have skilled people working there and from what I have seen on the internet they have about 200 staff and started hiring again. In the end, no one really knows and only DGC know what kind of progress they have made before and after letting SB go. As always with something new, there is always the chance they will fall flat on their face lol. Myself, I dont cheer to see people fail. I personally think gamers that do are... nm cant say that. I rather cheer them on and hope they pull it off, for this game and all other MMOs in the future that would benefit. 

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

Is there any news about changing to a new art style? If not it doesn't matter if the game is run by skynet, it won't be worth a shit. The proposed art style isn't holding up well through the long development period much less whenever it releases and has to compete with games that are older than EQN but look better (see: fate of Wildstar).

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Archlyte

Is there any news about changing to a new art style? If not it doesn't matter if the game is run by skynet, it won't be worth a shit. The proposed art style isn't holding up well through the long development period much less whenever it releases and has to compete with games that are older than EQN but look better (see: fate of Wildstar).

Instead of building a world like everyone else has. DGC is making a world with voxels. This will change how we game in so many ways I have no time to list them all. The small negative side is its a world made up of blocks. So the world needs to match the char and props art style or they would seem to clash when you played the game. Nothing would look or feel right. So you can go two directions at that point. Trove that embraces the blocks and you have something that looks like Minecraft pumped up. Or you used stylized art like Crowfall and EQN are doing. Being able to break up every part of the world and what that adds is well worth this move, if you know what it means.

i completly disagree with you

a) you have to make some sacrifices to get destructability

b) cartoony or stylized looks hold up MUCH better than realistic graphics in the long run...

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

b) cartoony or stylized looks hold up MUCH better than realistic graphics in the long run...

a) are the characters destructible?

b) what do you figure the life of this thing is going to be given the dubious development status and existence of other pre-eminent  cartoon-based games? The arrogance inherent in that justification blows me away. In 2074 EQN will still hold up to the standard of looking like shit.  

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

a) are the characters destructible?

b) what do you figure the life of this thing is going to be given the dubious development status and existence of other pre-eminent  cartoon-based games? The arrogance inherent in that justification blows me away. In 2074 EQN will still hold up to the standard of looking like shit.  

Thats why Trove has 700'000 active players. Thats why Crowfall has been backed and is the #1 game in development on this site? People have no interest is voxels? People only care about high end graphics in their MMOs, like WoW, Trove, Crowfall? This argument is from just the few. Most MMOs dont care about high end graphics as most MMOers dont have high end PCs. EQN is 100# destructible environment. Even the props. Even games like Trove and Crowfall are not using voxels to what they can fully do as we are only starting to play with them. My guess is in a few more years, voxels will be as standard in MMOs as an auction house. Just cant see an MMO without them. So get used to it.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I wonder if anyone every checks their website.  They post information pretty regularly.  I'll bet it still won't make people happy, but the claim that they aren't providing any info is incorrect.  If people are expecting weekly press briefings, then I think that the expectations are a bit high.

https://www.everquestnext.com/news/landmark-everquest-next-eqn-producer-letter-june-2015  (Article on EQ NEXT homepage.  June)

https://www.everquestnext.com/media?category=video (Video june:  workshop where they discuss things.  Sometimes useful, sometimes not.

I self identify as a monkey.

well they do post every few weeks but its all really shallow information... either artwork STILL (and very little) or buildings from landmark - nothing about core mechanics or substantial from next...
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    I think they are just letting the hype die on purpose, then release the game in a shell state with ingame cash shops when noone expects it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke
    I think they are just letting the hype die on purpose, then release the game in a shell state with ingame cash shops when noone expects it.

...because...